When did Powerpoint become the Hammer?

• So, I just received an e-mail notice, sent out to the entire organization.

A reminder about mandatory training this afternoon.

For a select few folks.

Who were listed.

Somewhere in the attached Powerpoint slide deck.

Which had no obvious order about it. (I.e., not sorted by last name or something.)

(Because this is what we use to brief the boss as to training shortfalls.)

• Fun fact: powerpoint was my first "programming language". I set up a bunch of slides with buttons that went to other slides and made some kind of shitty calculator.

In my defense, I was 5.

• @Ben L. said:

Fun fact: powerpoint was my first "programming language". I set up a bunch of slides with buttons that went to other slides and made some kind of shitty calculator.

In my defense, I was 5.

Congrats ... you used Powerpoint like HyperCard :p

• @zelmak said:

@Ben L. said:
    Fun fact: powerpoint was my first "programming language". I set up a bunch of slides with buttons that went to other slides and made some kind of shitty calculator.

In my defense, I was 5.

Congrats ... you used Powerpoint like HyperCard :p

DiaperCard lolol.

• OMG I forgot to add Hypercard to Blakeyrat University's course schedule. Fuck that program was amazing.

• @zelmak said:

So, I just received an e-mail notice, sent out to the entire organization.

A reminder about mandatory training this afternoon.

For a select few folks.

Who were listed.

Somewhere in the attached Powerpoint slide deck.

Which had no obvious order about it. (I.e., not sorted by last name or something.)

(Because this is what we use to brief the boss as to training shortfalls.)

It's not a WTF unless the list of folks is a gif-formatted image of a scanned photograph of a printed Word document (on a wooden table), embedded into the powerpoint document.
    The wooden table is very important.

• I think people aren't getting the WTF.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it goes like this:

1) Programmers create PPT presentation for management that says basically, "hey these developers on our team are idiots and badly need training or firing"
    2) Management creates training program to solve problem
    3) Management includes FULL COMPLETE COPY OF PPT in training program invitation
    4) Programmers whose name appeared in PPT find programmers who wrote it and kick the shit out of them

Right? Or maybe I'm missing the point.

• @blakeyrat said:

I think people aren't getting the WTF.

1) Programmers create PPT presentation for management that says basically, "hey these developers on our team are idiots and badly need training or firing"
    4) Programmers whose name appeared in PPT find programmers who wrote it and kick the shit out of them

And how exactly does this relate to STOP!....

...HAMMER TIME!?

• @eViLegion said:

...HAMMER TIME!?

HAMMER TIME?!

•  @Ben L. said:

In my defense, I was 5.

You were a precocious child. I didn't do that until I was about 8.

Mine was a multiple-choice quiz. Some of the questions had time limits. I was very proud of that part.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Ben L. said:

In my defense, I was 5.

Ladies and gentlemen, Bel L.'s stealth entry in OMGWTF2!

• I made crude motion comics in Powerpoint because I was too young to figure out how to pirate Flash.

• @blakeyrat said:

I think people aren't getting the WTF.

Close, but utterly wrong. More like:

(1) Top-to-bottom management process/documentation/etc evaluation is impending.

(2) Management worries about getting everything in order, one of them being compulsory/required periodic training. (You know, those corporate ethics and EEO videos you get annually.)

(3) Training manager asked to inform management about state of training (Powerpoint.)

(4) Management sees training missing in various categories. Institutes March Madness training sweep.

(5) Some people, due to vacation or various other reasons, miss training provided by external organization.

(6) Training manager updates training status slides.

(7) Management quivers. Requests external organization to provide training again for miscreants who missed.

(8) Upon day of said training, training manager sends email to ENTIRE organization with a slide deck containing names attached saying "If you're on this list, go to training."

• That's a fuckload more boring than my version. Screw this WTF.

• @eViLegion said:

...HAMMER TIME!?

• There's also the option that training your personal is mandatory, which happen in some country.

So, instead of supposing that the dev are idiot and need training, the powerpoint is about what training benefit most the enterprise since it have to be done anyway.Benefit in the eye of the top management, at least.

(I do have had agile training for that kind of reason)

• @blakeyrat said:

That's a fuckload more boring than my version. Screw this WTF.

Would it be better if I also told you that the source of the data is stored in a SharePoint application/database/Idon'tevenwanttogothere/whatever, generates an Excel spreadsheet, which is then linked (using OLE/DDE/whatever its called now) into the Powerpoint?

• @Ben L. said:

Amateur. When I was young, I made complex mouse-maze games.
    Even used animations for moving platforms.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@eViLegion said:

...POWERPOINT TIME!?
    FTFY

• @Salamander said:

@Ben L. said:

You're not the only one! I had moving platforms, moving obstacles, multi-slide levels, and environments that changed in response to user actions (pushable buttons and crap).

And to top it all off, there was a framing story that had the best writing a confused 13-year-old with access to the Internet could write. By which I mean it was utter shit.

Edit: Forgot that it had boss battles too. :D

• @MiffTheFox said:

You're not the only one! I had moving platforms, moving obstacles, multi-slide levels, and environments that changed in response to user actions (pushable buttons and crap).

And to top it all off, there was a framing story that had the best writing a confused 13-year-old with access to the Internet could write. By which I mean it was utter shit.

Edit: Forgot that it had boss battles too. :D

And yet there's no download link for us to view this beauty.

I wrote about 4-5 games in C for Mac Classic, fortunately for me they seem to have disappeared entirely from the web since AOL's downloads were taken down. Rasta Chomp had this great dissolve effect I was pretty proud of.

• @Salamander said:

@Ben L. said:

You wrote that screen saver?

• Considered Harmful

@mikeTheLiar said:

You wrote that screen saver?

Hey, that's where I learned to solve 99% of mazes. Follow the left wall!