Java developer says he built basic office suite in 30 days

• @drurowin said:

@MiffTheFox said:

Besides, when we do get an implementation of fully blown paged document presentation it'll probably have -webkit- or -moz- or whatever plastered onto it.

What's the prefix Google's using for their fork of Webkit?  -goog-?  -chrome-?

-webkit

• @Ben L. said:

@drurowin said:

@MiffTheFox said:

Besides, when we do get an implementation of fully blown paged document presentation it'll probably have -webkit- or -moz- or whatever plastered onto it.

-webkit

No, asshole, the one they just started like 3 weeks ago.

• @Ben L. said:

XMLHttpRequest is the name for something that rarely uses XML...

[citation needed]

@Ben L. said:

...doesn't require HTTP.

What other protocols do you think it supports?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

[citation needed]

@Ben L. said:

...doesn't require HTTP.

https

• @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

[citation needed]

@Ben L. said:

...doesn't require HTTP.

https

If that's what he meant I'm going to murder him.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

[citation needed]

@Ben L. said:

...doesn't require HTTP.

https

ftp

file:///

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

ftp

I'll warm up your murdering iron.

• @drurowin said:

@Ben L. said:

@drurowin said:

@MiffTheFox said:

-webkit

No, asshole, the one they just started like 3 weeks ago.

-webkit for legacy properties, -blink going forward probably.

They claim they're going to stop adding prefixes and instead move "experimental" features behind a hidden switch but knowing Google they wouldn't add a feature to the browser they can't use.

• @Ben L. said:

ftp

I did not know that was possible.

@Ben L. said:

Are you sure? Wouldn't SOP prevent that?

• ♿ (Parody)

@morbiuswilters said:

OpenOffice.org has had a decade and still hasn't managed to build a basic office suite in Java..

That's true, but OTOH, MS hasn't built one out of VB, either.

• @boomzilla said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    OpenOffice.org has had a decade and still hasn't managed to build a basic office suite in Java..

That's true, but OTOH, MS hasn't built one out of VB, either.

The original version of Windows Defender (back when it was Microsoft Anti-Spyware) was written in VB IIRC. I have no idea what MS writes their stuff in now.

I'd assume some sort of C++ linked directly against the Windows API. It can't be Visual C++ because that would require shipping the MSVC++ runtime with Windows, which could lead to monopoly charges.

• ♿ (Parody)

@MiffTheFox said:

I have no idea what MS writes their stuff in now.

I'd assume some sort of C++ linked directly against the Windows API. It can't be Visual C++ because that would require shipping the MSVC++ runtime with Windows, which could lead to monopoly charges.

I must assume you're talking about the kind of windows made out of supercooled liquid.

• Does he actually mean 30 days in a row, or 30 days ("man days" I guess?) total to write it?

• @MiffTheFox said:

MSVCRT.DLL is included with windows and almost all the windows executables import and use it.

• @MiffTheFox said:

I've never really understood why Microsoft ever pandered to the European Commission.

A simple "No, fuck you, we're not changing our software, best of luck with all the people in your countries that actually want our stuff, douchebags!" would have sufficed.

A quick calculation of exactly how much it'd cost all business to change OS, and retrain all staff, and they'd have to change tack.

Then again, I never really understood why Gates didn't just hire ninjas to just fuck the EC up.

• @BC_Programmer said:

@MiffTheFox said:

MSVCRT.DLL is included with windows and almost all the windows executables import and use it.

Then why the fuck does every single app ship with one or more redistributable package for it?!

• @eViLegion said:

Then again, I never really understood why Gates didn't just hire ninjas to just fuck the EC up.
    Likely he was having one of his nice days and decided that kowtowing to them was a better idea.

The fool.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@BC_Programmer said:

@MiffTheFox said:

Then why the fuck does every single app ship with one or more redistributable package for it?!

Similarly, why do I have to reinstall DirectX for every new game... when I'm fairly sure it's actually shipped with every consumer version of Windows since 95 OEM Service Release 2.
    OK, so it makes sense to check what version I'm running now against the version that the game needs, but it doesn't seem to do that. It just blindly installs 11.1 over and over again, just like it used to do for 11.0, 10.1, 10.0 and all versions of 9.

• ♿ (Parody)

@MiffTheFox said:

@BC_Programmer said:

Because there isn't really one "it." There are many different versions of it. So the easiest way to make sure your application will run everywhere is to just ship the version that you use. It's not that big (usually under a meg, IIRC), so it's not really a big deal.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

[citation needed]

@Ben L. said:

...doesn't require HTTP.

https

ftp

Poor, late, (un)lamented gopher.

• Nobody's mentioned SPDY?

• @MiffTheFox said:

msvcrt.dll is the VC++ 5.0/6.0 run-time (although the version shipped with Windows supports pretty much everything that the last Visual Studio that was released before it supports, but the only way to use that functionality is to use the DDK compiler). Newer versions of VC++ use different DLLs - msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll etc., and while these ship with the latest Windows versions, XP doesn't have them, and since XP still has huge market share, the run-time has to be included for it.
    @eViLegion said:
    Similarly, why do I have to reinstall DirectX for every new game... when I'm fairly sure it's actually shipped with every consumer version of Windows since 95 OEM Service Release 2.
    DirectX never counted as a Windows component (until Windows 8), and as such only some basic support was included. Also, despite the introduction of DX10 in Vista and 11 in 7, DX9 was still getting updates, and none of these updates were included in 7. So, if the game required something from the June 2010 DirectX update, it had better ship it (hint: look in your System32 directory - there should be a bunch of d3dx9_NN.dll and d3dx10_NN.dll files in there - none of them shipped with Windows).

• @Ben L. said:

ftp

Not in the official W3C working draft. It only covers use over http or https, though it does detail how data: URIs should be treated. Not sure those should be considered an actual protocol.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Nobody's mentioned SPDY?

SPDY is a modification of HTTP, though. In fact, it's being considered as a base for HTTP 2.0, if that ever comes out.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@MiffTheFox said:

Nobody's mentioned SPDY?

SPDY is a modification of HTTP, though. In fact, it's being considered as a base for HTTP 2.0, if that ever comes out.

Within two years we'll be using HTTP 2.0 to load MNGs and SVG+SMIL animations into our XHTML 2.0 documents. The future is now.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @MiffTheFox said:

Nobody's mentioned SPDY?

Within two years we'll be using HTTP 2.0 to load MNGs and SVG+SMIL animations into our XHTML 2.0 documents. The future is now.

You can use spdy RIGHT NOW. Visit this obscure website in Chrome.

• @Ben L. said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @MiffTheFox said:

Nobody's mentioned SPDY?

Yeah, but he didn't say SPDY, he said HTTP 2.0.

• @Ben L. said:

@MiffTheFox said:

Within two years we'll be using SPDY to load animated gifs (yes still) and flash animation rendered to an mp4 into our HTML 5 documents. The future is now.

Fixed to include what Ben L apparently read.

• @ender said:

@eViLegion said:
    DirectX never counted as a Windows component (until Windows 8), and as such only some basic support was included. Also, despite the introduction of DX10 in Vista and 11 in 7, DX9 was still getting updates, and none of these updates were included in 7. So, if the game required something from the June 2010 DirectX update, it had better ship it (hint: look in your System32 directory - there should be a bunch of d3dx9_NN.dll and d3dx10_NN.dll files in there - none of them shipped with Windows).

Fair enough. It seems strange that since they made the claim to ship it as standard, it has taken them 16 years to ship it as standard. And no-one ever seemed to query this.