My name is Corky and I work at SAP



  • SAP looks to recruit people with autism as programmers








    Maybe they should have scouts browsing this forum.



  • Not that I'm doing to defend the quality of SAP software, but... this amounts to, "hey we found a group of people who are alienated by the job market, we believe they can make a contribution to our company, and we're willing to put in some legwork to make that happen."

    Good for them. And fuck you and your offensive image.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Not that I'm doing to defend the quality of SAP software, but... this amounts to, "hey we found a group of people who are alienated by the job market, we believe they can make a contribution to our company, and we're willing to put in some legwork to make that happen."

    Good for them. And fuck you and your offensive image.

    Did I just... Mentally agree with something blakey said?

    No... It can't be...



  • @Ben L. said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Not that I'm doing to defend the quality of SAP software, but... this amounts to, "hey we found a group of people who are alienated by the job market, we believe they can make a contribution to our company, and we're willing to put in some legwork to make that happen."

    Good for them. And fuck you and your offensive image.

    Did I just... Mentally agree with something blakey said?

    No... It can't be...

    You do have an history of bending over for strongly-willed members of the forum, so yes, I'd say it can be.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Not that I'm doing to defend the quality of SAP software, but... this amounts to, "hey we found a group of people who are alienated by the job market, we believe they can make a contribution to our company, and we're willing to put in some legwork to make that happen."

    Good for them. And fuck you and your offensive image.

    If they use this program for PR, then it's fair game to make fun of it. Get off your high horse.



  • @Ronald said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Not that I'm doing to defend the quality of SAP software, but... this amounts to, "hey we found a group of people who are alienated by the job market, we believe they can make a contribution to our company, and we're willing to put in some legwork to make that happen."

    Good for them. And fuck you and your offensive image.

    If they use this program for PR, then it's fair game to make fun of it. Get off your high horse.

    High horse? You're the moron who can't discern Autism from Down syndrome...

    You probably wouldn't be able to recognize a high horse if it sat on you.



  • @Rhywden said:

    High horse? You're the moron who can't discern Autism from Down syndrome...

    Speaking of moron, let's play "who can't tell the meaning of an expression". (Hint: you win)




    Stop being so politically correct. This is a poke at SAP, not at people with Down syndrome and/or being in the autism spectrum. It's like making Chicken & Waffles jokes about a company that advertises itself as being "african-american owned".



  • Politically correct? That's great. For jokes to be actually funny, they need to bear at least a marginal relation to the subject at hand.

    Then again, with your intellectual discrimination skill, you'll probably crack "jokes" about blind people when a company hires quadriplegics. I mean, both are physical disabilities and that makes them practically the same, right? Hilarious!

    And, yes, I fail at "telling the meaning of an expression" when said expression is absolutely meaningless due to the idiocy behind it. I'm not ashamed of that and I'm sorry that I can't think stupidly enough to understand you fully.



  • @Rhywden said:

    with your intellectual discrimination skill, you'll probably crack "jokes" about blind people when a company hires quadriplegics.

    Q: Why don't blind people go skydiving?

    A: Because it scares the dogs! Because they don't want to end up quadriplegics and not being able to find a job!



    Q.E.D.



  • @Ronald said:

    If they use this program for PR, then it's fair game to make fun of it.

    You have the right to make fun of it. I have the right to say fuck you and your offensive image. Welcome to Free Speech 101, students.



  • @Rhywden said:

    Politically correct? That's great. For jokes to be actually funny, they need to bear at least a marginal relation to the subject at hand.

    Then again, with your intellectual discrimination skill, you'll probably crack "jokes" about blind people when a company hires quadriplegics. I mean, both are physical disabilities and that makes them practically the same, right? Hilarious!

    And, yes, I fail at "telling the meaning of an expression" when said expression is absolutely meaningless due to the idiocy behind it. I'm not ashamed of that and I'm sorry that I can't think stupidly enough to understand you fully.

    For the record, you added the part in bold in an edit but failed to include a disclaimer. That makes you not only a big phony but also provides evidence that you are slow on the rebound. Well done!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Ronald said:
    If they use this program for PR, then it's fair game to make fun of it.

    You have the right to make fun of it. I have the right to say fuck you and your offensive image. Welcome to Free Speech 101, students.

    Please go to your mailbox and notice that I did not issue a cease-and-desist letter, so while you're giving Free Speech lesson remember it can become an endless loop!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Ronald said:
    If they use this program for PR, then it's fair game to make fun of it.

    You have the right to make fun of it. I have the right to say fuck you and your offensive image. Welcome to Free Speech 101, students.

    I mean, the "joke" falls flat on its face either way. The image he used depicts someone with Down syndrome. Which is not autism. Which makes it completely unrelated to SAP's program.

    And even if he used a picture of someone with Autism (say, someone with Asperger's like Bob from ReGenesis): It still wouldn't be funny because these people can be highly intelligent which would make his balloon sentence a perfectly normal one.

    All this goes to show is a complete and utter lack of understanding of the fact that disabilities come in many and very diverse forms.

    Jokes, even the politically incorrect ones, use one underlying kernel of truth to transport their message. It may be a simplified, exaggerated and distorted version of the truth, but still. This attempt here? Completely fails for the reasons listed above.

    @Ronald said:
    @Rhywden said:

    Politically correct? That's great. For jokes to be actually funny, they need to bear at least a marginal relation to the subject at hand.

    Then again, with your intellectual discrimination skill, you'll probably crack "jokes" about blind people when a company hires quadriplegics. I mean, both are physical disabilities and that makes them practically the same, right? Hilarious!

    And, yes, I fail at "telling the meaning of an expression" when said expression is absolutely meaningless due to the idiocy behind it. I'm not ashamed of that and I'm sorry that I can't think stupidly enough to understand you fully.

    For the record, you added the part in bold in an edit but failed to include a disclaimer. That makes you not only a big phony but also provides evidence that you are slow on the rebound. Well done!

    This is what I love about the freedom of speech: It makes picking out the village idiots so much easier. Could someone explain to me why I'm not allowed to use the edit function to add something to a text I wrote?



  • You presented misinformation as fact and we complained about that. I don't see where the problem lies, other than the fact that we managed to have an argument about free speech and not something more important like gun control or abortions.

    If I had come in here and said

    Astrophysicist morbiuswilters, director of the Hayden Planetarium, hosts a show named Nova scienceNOW on United States public television.

    You'd have every right to come in here and say
    NO YOU DUMBFUCK THAT IS NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON
    Anyway, I just wanted to work a picture of Neil deGrasse Tyson into this thread. You may now continue bickering.


  • @Rhywden said:

    This is what I love about the freedom of speech: It makes picking out the village idiots so much easier. Could someone explain to me why I'm not allowed to use the edit function to add something to a text I wrote?




    The forum does not lock posts while waiting for replies to be submitted. So typically someone would indicate if they change the content to warn that replies maybe did not take part of the post into account.



    In your case however I believe it's safe to add as much as you want, because every single one of your replies so far is a laughable case of the pot calling the kettle black and basically does nothing except insult someone you find insulting.



    This being said, I hope you never get called for an e-discovery process, or that if you do you will be working for the opposing party.




  • @Ben L. said:

    If I had come in here and said

    Astrophysicist morbiuswilters, director of the Hayden Planetarium, hosts a show named Nova scienceNOW on United States public television.

    You'd have every right to come in here and say
    NO YOU DUMBFUCK THAT IS NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON
    Anyway, I just wanted to work a picture of Neil deGrasse Tyson into this thread. You may now continue bickering.

    Obviously this is not you, this is Cleveland.



  • One last addendum, just to show how idiotic equating people suffering from Down syndrom with Autism actually is; here's a short (and incomplete) list of people with Autism.

    • Dan Aykroyd
    • Marty Balin (Founder of the band Jefferson Airplane)
    • Bram Cohen (the guy behind Bittorrent)
    • Darly Hannah (Kill Bill, Bladrunner)
    • Vernon L. Smith (Won the Nobel Prize for Economy)
    • Michael Burry (Billionaire)


  • @Ronald said:

    Stop being so politically correct.

    @Ronald said:

    Chicken & Waffles

    @Ronald said:

    "african-american owned"

    That's offensive. Not because of the racial stereotype, but because it's so fucking lazy it sounds like it came from Family Guy.

    I'm pretty willing to push the envelope, but there's a skill to hit. People are particularly sensitive when it comes to illness or injury, whether mental or physical. Pointing to a dying man and saying "Ha ha, guy has AIDS!" just makes you look like a dick.

    Now I'm not saying you can't make a funny AIDS joke--you can--but it takes skill. Skill that you obviously do not possess.



  • @Rhywden said:

    One last addendum, just to show how idiotic equating people suffering from Down syndrom with Autism actually is; here's a short (and incomplete) list of people with Autism.

    • Dan Aykroyd
    • Marty Balin (Founder of the band Jefferson Airplane)
    • Bram Cohen (the guy behind Bittorrent)
    • Darly Hannah (Kill Bill, Bladrunner)
    • Vernon L. Smith (Won the Nobel Prize for Economy)
    • Michael Burry (Billionaire)

    The tone and content of your post implies that according to you people with Autism are better than people with Down syndrome, otherwise how come you did not make a list of those? I find it highly offensive.



    To fix this insulting bias, here's a short (and incomplete) list of people with Down Syndrome.

    • Corky
    • Rhywden (unconfirmed)


  • SAP is fucking shite and most of the developers I met are weirdos not austistic. This is anedocatal, but one of the helpdesk girls that monitored blocked searches said that most of the more disgusting sexual terms were coming from teh SAP team at work.

    Also as programmers I think is natural that most of the people that tend to be fairly good at it have some autistic traits. But that doesn't mean they are.

    Also as everyone else said, get your disabilities right.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Pointing to a dying man and saying "Ha ha, guy has AIDS!" just makes you look like a dick.

    Now I'm not saying you can't make a funny AIDS joke--you can--but it takes skill. Skill that you obviously do not possess.

    I take it as a challenge!



    Q: What is the difference between jumping in bungee and sleeping with a guy that got AIDS?

    A: No difference, if the rubber is not reliable enough you're probably gonna die.




    Now that's skills or what.



  • @Rhywden said:

    Jokes, even the politically incorrect ones, use one underlying kernel of truth to transport their message. It may be a simplified, exaggerated and distorted version of the truth, but still.

    Another important aspect of pulling off an offensive joke is to make the joke about the person making the joke or about the people who are offended by the joke, not by going after the actual subject of a joke. For example, you can make a racist joke work, but you have to make the target of the joke be racists (or racial stereotypes) themselves. Exempli gratia:

    Not funny: "I bet Obama eats a lot of fried chicken." It's lazy. And while black men tend to eat a lot of fried chicken, it's really not all that funny of an observation.

    Funny: My friend is trying on jeans and says a 31 in black denim is 3 inches bigger than a 31 in other colors of denim. I fire back "White guys always think black things are 3 inches bigger." It plays on a stupid stereotype, but it's more about the stereotype and white anxieties over racial issues than it is about black people.



  • @Ronald said:

    I take it as a challenge!
     

    Two guys with AIDS walk into a bar. A bunch of rednecks burn down the building to kill them because obviously it was a gay bar. But it turns out it was a church, because fundamentalists are actually alcoholic gay child molesters! It's so ironic!



  • @Ben L. said:

    NO YOU DUMBFUCK THAT IS NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON

    Are you sure? Because that looks like my black ass.



  • @Rhywden said:

    Dan Aykroyd

    I don't buy it. Aykroyd is kind of loony, but I don't think he is legitimately autistic.

    Autisim is a very fashionable disease right now. A lot of people are probably mis-diagnosed.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @Ronald said:

    I take it as a challenge!
     

    Two guys with AIDS walk into a bar. A bunch of rednecks burn down the building to kill them because obviously it was a gay bar. But it turns out it was a church, because fundamentalists are actually alcoholic gay child molesters! It's so ironic!



    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Rhywden said:
    Dan Aykroyd

    I don't buy it. Aykroyd is kind of loony, but I don't think he is legitimately autistic.

    Autisim is a very fashionable disease right now. A lot of people are probably mis-diagnosed.


    Dan Aykroyd Talks Mental Health And Acting



  • @lucas said:

    ...most of the more disgusting sexual terms were coming from teh SAP team at work.

    I know "back office receivables" sounds dirty, but it really isn't.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @Ronald said:

    I take it as a challenge!
     

    Two guys with AIDS walk into a bar. A bunch of rednecks burn down the building to kill them because obviously it was a gay bar. But it turns out it was a church, because fundamentalists are actually alcoholic gay child molesters! It's so ironic!




    no, THIS is ironic.



  • @Ronald said:

    Q: What is the difference between jumping in bungee and sleeping with a guy that got AIDS?

    A: No difference, if the rubber is not reliable enough you're probably gonna die.

    I'm most offended by your grammar here. "Jumping in bungee"? "Guy that got AIDS?"

    Also, people with AIDS can live a pretty long time nowadays (well, if they live in a first world country).

    Other than that, it was pretty good.



  • @Rhywden said:

    Dan Aykroyd Talks Mental Health And Acting

    Bad idea. I don't have the patience to watch a video longer than 30s. But even if you linked me to an article, I'd want one written by a doctor who gave a reasonable basis for his diagnosis. Dan Aykroyd thinks we're all being possessed by magic alien crystal skull ghosts or some shit--I don't really trust his assessment of his own mental health.



  • @Ronald said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    @Ronald said:

    I take it as a challenge!
     

    Two guys with AIDS walk into a bar. A bunch of rednecks burn down the building to kill them because obviously it was a gay bar. But it turns out it was a church, because fundamentalists are actually alcoholic gay child molesters! It's so ironic!




    no, THIS is ironic.

    I'm feeling compelled to banish this to the LOLcats forum.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Rhywden said:
    Dan Aykroyd Talks Mental Health And Acting

    Bad idea. I don't have the patience to watch a video longer than 30s. But even if you linked me to an article, I'd want one written by a doctor who gave a reasonable basis for his diagnosis. Dan Aykroyd thinks we're all being possessed by magic alien crystal skull ghosts or some shit--I don't really trust his assessment of his own mental health.

    Right. You want a doctor to violate the doctor-patient-confidentiality, just so that you can be satisfied? Besides, why should a belief in Aliens invalidate that diagnosis in any way, when this guy exists?



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I'm feeling compelled to banish this to the LOLcats forum.

    Can't argue with that. The discussion went downhill but here is the thing, I find self-righteous people even more irritating than self-congratulating companies. So I guess TRWTF is pitchfork morons making a stand for political correctness by insulting others.



  • "The discussion when downhill". Erm, no. This trainwreck was doomed right from the start. There was no "downhill" to go to.

    But, certainly, it's all our fault. That's the proper attitude: It's never one's own fault.

    And "self-congratulating"? Good lord, I hope the company you work for never does any kind of PR. Not even in the local newspaper.



  • @Ronald said:

    The discussion went downhill

    I was not aware the discussion could go any lower than the original state.

    It's like saying "we're in the exact center of the earth's core, but WE SHOULD DIG DEEPER".



  • @Ben L. said:

    I was not aware the discussion could go any lower than the original state.

    Well then maybe you need to stop jacking off reading Morbius and Blakeryrat posts and go out there to see what the world has to offer.



    To Morbius and Blakeyrat: no offense intended (for you).



  • They are not the first company to hire people with autism as product testers.

    There is a danish company(Forgot the name) which specialize in hiring people with autism for testing. It does make sense, because many with autism like the repeated task of testing.



  • @Ronald said:

    To Morbius and Blakeyrat: no offense intended (for you).

    Yeah, you didn't intend offense to us personally. Just everybody on Earth with different capabilities than your own. That's much better.



  • @Rhywden said:

    You want a doctor to violate the doctor-patient-confidentiality, just so that you can be satisfied?

    No, I want Aykroyd to give permission for his doctor to discuss the diagnostic criteria used. Otherwise, I'll just assume it's Aykroyd talking out of his ass, again.

    @Rhywden said:

    Besides, why should a belief in Aliens invalidate that diagnosis in any way, when this guy exists?

    No, you suck at reading. I said that believing in aliens makes me doubt what comes out of Aykroyd's mouth. In fact, I think believing in crazy shit is probably in-line with Asperger's (although technically that's autism spectrum, not autism..), but I'm not going to believe a self-diagnosis for a trendy disease.



  • @Ronald said:

    making a stand for political correctness

    I did no such thing. Then again, I think lazy, unfunny insults hurled at those with legitimate handicaps and illnesses aren't "jokes".

    @Ronald said:

    ...insulting others.

    Are you going to cry? I notice that you seem quite able to insult people but get really whiny when people insult you back.



  • @mt@ilovefactory.com said:

    There is a danish company(Forgot the name) which specialize in hiring people with autism for testing.

    Lego?

    @mt@ilovefactory.com said:

    It does make sense, because many with autism like the repeated task of testing.

    I tried this same argument when I suggested hiring people with Tourette's to test our profanity filter. Did not succeed.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Rhywden said:
    Dan Aykroyd Talks Mental Health And Acting

    Bad idea. I don't have the patience to watch a video longer than 30s. But even if you linked me to an article, I'd want one written by a doctor who gave a reasonable basis for his diagnosis. Dan Aykroyd thinks we're all being possessed by magic alien crystal skull ghosts or some shit--I don't really trust his assessment of his own mental health.

     

    Haven't watched the clip, but does Aykroyd also talk about his webbed toes?  I remember that one from his "confession" in Mr Mike's Mondo Video about how he was officially a "mutant".

    Anyway, I don't think he's Autistic.  If memory serves, he's actually Canadian.



  • @da Doctah said:

    Anyway, I don't think he's Autistic.  If memory serves, he's actually Canadian.

    I'm in favor of making Canadianism an autism spectrum disorder.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    I'm in favor of making Canadianism an autism spectrum disorder.
    It would certainly help with classifying people like Howie Mandel and Jim Carrey.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @Ronald said:
    making a stand for political correctness

    I did no such thing. Then again, I think lazy, unfunny insults hurled at those with legitimate handicaps and illnesses aren't "jokes".

    I never said you did, I was explaning the context in reply to your assessment of the quality of a post. Also while it can be a matter of taste (I still laugh looking at the first picture but I can understand if you don't) it was not lazy, I had to download two pictures, merge them in Paint and add a caption. Lots of work. People who replied "moron" and nothing more were the lazy ones.

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Are you going to cry? I notice that you seem quite able to insult people but get really whiny when people insult you back.

    While they don't make for a very interesting discussion, I don't mind insults, especially weak ones like the average insult on the forum (either "moron" or a variation on the same theme). Whenever possible I try not to insult someone unless they did it first, but some people can't tell the difference between an allegedly offensive joke and a wildcard insult aimed at the entire world so they are quick on the trigger. (Some are so quick that they have to go in Edit Mode and add more bitter content to their post without putting a disclaimer about it in the hope that nobody noticed).



    As for being whiny about it: what I dislike is people trying to make a point by simply using foul language and insults. It's okay to wrap actual points in a layer of shit, but when there is nothing in the middle it's just shit. Calling someone a moron then pointing out that Down Syndrome and autism are two distinct disabilities is a valid approach. Calling someone a moron without adding any substance is noise and nothing else.



  • @Ronald said:

    ...it was not lazy, I had to download two pictures, merge them in Paint and add a caption.

    With comedy, laziness refers to the intellectual angle, not the labor involved.

    @Ronald said:

    It's okay to wrap actual points in a layer of shit...

    I think several people in here did wrap their actual points in a layer of shit (if they even used foul language and insults in the first place..)



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Aykroyd is kind of loony, but I don't think he is legitimately autistic.
     

    I was going to say "Who gives a fuck? This is the guy that used his person fortune to bring us [url="http://crystalheadvodka.com"]Vodka in a motherfucking crystal skull![/url]-- no matter what he is, that makes him GODDAMN EPIC!".

    I was going to say that, but then I actually went to http://crystalheadvodka.com, and

    1) Nothing at all shows up without javascript enabled. No a malformed site. Just nothing

    2) When you do enable it, I was expecting to be assfucked by a full-Flash site, since that's why sites are completely blank without Javascript enabled. Nope, plain old HTML site. And what is the first page of that site?

    3) A CYA "Are you old enough to drink" page. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that the Yes and No options are prevented as CHECKBOXES. Not radio buttons. Not just buttons. Checkboxes.

     So in conclusion, fuck Dan Aykrod.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Aykroyd is kind of loony, but I don't think he is legitimately autistic.
     

    I was going to say "Who gives a fuck? This is the guy that used his person fortune to bring us Vodka in a motherfucking crystal skull!-- no matter what he is, that makes him GODDAMN EPIC!".

    I was going to say that, but then I actually went to http://crystalheadvodka.com, and

    1) Nothing at all shows up without javascript enabled. No a malformed site. Just nothing

    2) When you do enable it, I was expecting to be assfucked by a full-Flash site, since that's why sites are completely blank without Javascript enabled. Nope, plain old HTML site. And what is the first page of that site?

    3) A CYA "Are you old enough to drink" page. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that the Yes and No options are prevented as CHECKBOXES. Not radio buttons. Not just buttons. Checkboxes.

     So in conclusion, fuck Dan Aykrod.

    These seem like strange reasons to hate Dan Aykroyd.



  • @Ronald said:

    Now that's skills or what.

    For me, firmly in the "or what" category.



  • @Ronald said:

    here is the thing, I find self-righteous people even more irritating than self-congratulating companies.

    Then I suggest you either never look in a mirror again, or perhaps learn to stop reflexively defending yourself when you've just been called on dropping a huge steaming turd in the middle of the living room floor.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.