Android browsers vs TDWTF

• I was debating whether to post this in Side Bar or General Discussion...

I like to read a few sites on the bus/train during my commute to/from work. For the last few months I've been using my Nexus 4, since having a handheld device is a lot more convenient than the iPad and netbook I previously used. TDWTF has been fine until the last Chrome update, which has made the forums basically unreadable:

So, I thought, let's try Firefox. Yes! Just like how the previous Chrome rendered it, making the font size readable again:

Until I scroll down...

I did some searches and it appears this is now by design? I was getting the "random font size" but really on the thread list page: paragraphs of text were generally readable. And to add insult to injury, one of the suggestions was to set the text zoom. This did nothing to TDWTF font size but made mobile-optimised versions of sites have massive fonts.

Edit: fixed images and added links!

• I hypothesize that the browser pretends it's rendering on a larger screen, and puts that picture into the hardware pixels of your little screen.

@Zemm said:

This did nothing to TDWTF font size but made mobile-optimised versions of sites have massive fonts.

Wow, it doesn't save the zoom setting per-domain, like desktop firefox?

Problems with this thing are because mobile high-res screens and browsers try to be all things to all people, it seems. Small screen, unstable* quick usage =>  Modified layout! HD-screen + Fully capable browsers => use full layout! Aaahh!

I currently believe in responsive design as the be-all end-all for this, even though I've so far devised 0 sites with this methodology.

*) walking around anywhere with your phone is here defined as 'unstable', as opposed to your comfy chair behind your desk.

• @dhromed said:

I currently believe in responsive design as the be-all end-all for this, even though I've so far devised 0 sites with this methodology.
    That's what we use here, and it seems to work pretty well.

•  care to share pitfalls?

•  ... why are you surfing in portrait orientation? Just switch to landscape and zoom in.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dhromed said:

care to share pitfalls?

[url="http://coolrom.com/roms/atari2600/15889/Pitfall!.php"]HERE ARE PITFALLS SHARES![/url]

Alternate joke:

A major pitfall of using ANY browser on the forum is that you might waste countless months of your life by making 10,000 posts.

•  Or zoom in before switching, to cause the text to wrap around so you don't have to scroll horizontally.

• TDWTF is much better for wasting time at work rather than on the commute, as it can semi-plausibly be explained as work-related. Or do you not work at a dildo field testing facility?

• @Zemm said:

So, I thought, let's try Firefox. Yes! Just like how the previous Chrome rendered it, making the font size readable again:

Until I scroll down...

This is Bug 707195. Unfortunately, Firefox has pretty much fallen apart as of late; usability and data-loss bugs simply aren't considered a priority anymore.

Frankly, things have been going downhill pretty damn fast ever since Bug 358764, where the official policy became "do what GNOME says, no exceptions".

• @SamC said:

Frankly, things have been going downhill pretty damn fast ever since Bug 358764, where the official policy became "do what GNOME says, no exceptions".

Oh lord, I remember having to find the config hack to fix that. What I naive young fool I was back then, using Linux and Firefox at all...

• TRWTF is that your 4" phone screen is the same resolution as my 15" laptop...

• @Tacroy said:

... why are you surfing in portrait orientation? Just switch to landscape and zoom in.

Yeah.

Also, if you want an enjoyable web browsing experience, don't do it on a fucking phone. (By which I mean, its fine to do it on a phone, but don't expect it to be any good.)

• @eViLegion said:

@Tacroy said:

... why are you surfing in portrait orientation? Just switch to landscape and zoom in.

Yeah.

Also, if you want an enjoyable web browsing experience, don't do it on a fucking phone. (By which I mean, its fine to do it on a phone, but don't expect it to be any good.)

When it's late at night and I want to sleep, I grab the family iPad and browse TDWTF on it. It's so awful that usually I lose consciousness and wake to the sound of a random youtube video that I browsed to using my ear.

• @dhromed said:

care to share pitfalls?

Lots of browsers don't support it so you end up adding scripts to dumb down the CSS. Best one I've seen is this one.

This adds a layer of annoyance to testing, sometimes it takes a while to figure out that a CSS3-enabled browser is mistakenly considered stupid. Plus if you have any kind of stylesheet voodoo done in jQuery things become quite messy.

Another thing I hate is the choppy feeling when you resize the browser, in some cases it feels like the scrolling gets confused. Try this demo and resize the browser to see what I mean.

I have yet to find a site that is as smooth as microsoft.com when it comes to dynamic resizing. Those huge pictures are scaling well and from what I see they use quite a mix of different approaches to get this result, not only responsive css.

• My biggest problem with Firefox's developers is the "delete copied data on exiting Private Mode".

I used Firefox as a secondary browser for some time (mostly to check if a problem was because of a website or because of my browser). I basically opened it, pasted an address, browsed for a while and closed it. It was also useful to avoid having to load my entire previous set of open tabs if I just wanted to check something. I had no reason to want it to keep any cookies or history. So I disabled history in the settings, which apparently translates to "always use private mode". The problem is that this causes Firefox to delete anything you copied to the clipboard when you close it. So more than once I found myself copying something to the clipboard, pressing alt+F4 then remembering "fuck, I have to close it after I paste it!".

Yes, I realise it's not a very common use case, and that there can be data leaks through the clipboard, but if you're gonna add something that meddles with an OS mechanism to delete some data (that no other application I ever found did) you could at least add a goddamn option to disable it in about:config (there isn't, and there won't be).

• @Ronald said:

I have yet to find a site that is as smooth as microsoft.com when it comes to dynamic resizing.

When I resize the browser to less than 100x100, the site is unusable. Typical M$ incompetence.

• @SamC said:

@Zemm said:

Until I scroll down...

This is Bug 707195. Unfortunately, Firefox has pretty much fallen apart as of late; usability and data-loss bugs simply aren't considered a priority anymore.

Yes, Firefox is retarded. It's nice when people finally come to realize I was right, even if it takes a few years. Now, to wait for people to realize that Ringo Starr was the real talent behind The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney/Harrison were just hacks..

• @morbiuswilters said:

@SamC said:

@Zemm said:

Until I scroll down...

Yes, Firefox is retarded. It's nice when people finally come to realize I was right, even if it takes a few years. Now, to wait for people to realize that Ringo Starr was the real talent behind The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney/Harrison were just hacks..

Firefox: Still less retarded than IE5

• @Ben L. said:

Firefox: Still less retarded than IE5

IE5: Over a decade older than Firefox.

• @MiffTheFox said:

TRWTF is that your 4" phone screen is the same resolution as my 15" laptop...

It also has 2GB ram which is twice that of my three year old netbook.

I haven't had major issues with mobile browsing, other than sometimes having to go landscape (which is uncomfortable to golf) - certainly better than clutching a laptop on the train. And now that I've changed jobs and have to catch a bus as well it's even worse.

Movie is the future!

• Firefox has been effectively useless for downloading files for at least nine years. That is to say, it can download, but there's a random chance that the file will be truncated, and you have no way of knowing this has happened until you actually go and try to use the file, so for all practical purposes there's no sense using Firefox to download anything at all. (Unless you intend to use it immediately, I suppose...)

• @morbiuswilters said:

Now, to wait for people to realize that Ringo Starr was the real talent behind The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney/Harrison were just hacks..

Do you mean the real Paul McCartney or his MI5 double (who turned out to have a lot of musical talent)

• @lolwtf said:

Firefox has been effectively useless for downloading files for at least nine years. That is to say, it can download, but there's a random chance that the file will be truncated, and you have no way of knowing this has happened until you actually go and try to use the file, so for all practical purposes there's no sense using Firefox to download anything at all. (Unless you intend to use it immediately, I suppose...)

Maybe that's why FlashGot is so popular, to send downloads to something with a clue.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

Now, to wait for people to realize that Ringo Starr was the real talent behind The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney/Harrison were just hacks.

I listened to a whole bunch of Beatles last year. I have to say, I don't get why Ringo gets such a bad wrap. I'm admittedly not versed in depth with all the technicalities of drumming-- but I couldn't hear anything horrific. He stayed on beat. There were some interesting drum breaks. I just don't get it.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Now, to wait for people to realize that Ringo Starr was the real talent behind The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney/Harrison were just hacks.

I listened to a whole bunch of Beatles last year. I have to say, I don't get why Ringo gets such a bad wrap. I'm admittedly not versed in depth with all the technicalities of drumming-- but I couldn't hear anything horrific. He stayed on beat. There were some interesting drum breaks. I just don't get it.

It's like having an investment firm started by Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and the manager of a local Starbucks. The fourth dude probably knows to buy low and sell high but he still kinda stands out.

Note: Yes, "selling high" can be construed as advocating trading while intoxicated, and this is how it has been done for years on Wall Street.

• @Ronald said:

It's like having an investment firm started by Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé- Biscuitbarrel. The fourth dude had a 57.7% majority in Luton but he still kinda stands out.

MPTFY

• @Lorne Kates said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Ringo's been called "the luckiest man in show business". There's nothing wrong with the guy, he's a decent drummer who just happened to hitch his wagon to people far more talented than himself. (I honestly don't think Harrison was much better.)

Anyway, The Beatles are overrated. They were pretty good until they went crazy in India, but then it was all psychotic, LSD-influenced imagery and Lennon's irritating, nasally whine. shudder Yoko Ono didn't ruin The Beatles; The Beatles ruined The Beatles.

• @Ronald said:

It's like having an investment firm started by Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Larry Ellison and the manager of a local Starbucks. The fourth dude probably knows to buy low and sell high but he still kinda stands out.

Buffett stands out now, too. That fat sack of shit would be giving blowjobs in the Omaha bus station* just to afford the Medicare co-payment for his Lipitor if he hadn't been bailed out a half-dozen times by now. Where's Action Directe when you actually want 'em?

(*I assume Omaha only has a single bus station.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

It's nice when people finally come to realize I was right, even if it takes a few years. Now, to wait for people to realize that Ringo Starr was the real talent behind The Beatles and Lennon/McCartney/Harrison were just hacks..

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_42shL_5E&t=7m22s[/url]

• @lolwtf said:

Firefox has been effectively useless for downloading files for at least nine years. That is to say, it can download, but there's a random chance that the file will be truncated, and you have no way of knowing this has happened until you actually go and try to use the file, so for all practical purposes there's no sense using Firefox to download anything at all.

No repro. Ever at all.

> Closed: PEBCAK.

• @SamC said:

I've only learned of browser.backspace_action a couple of days ago and now I'm a happy camper. I rarely pressed backspace outside of a text input, but when I did the unintentional navigation really annoyed me.

On a semi-related note, why, why, why? did I buy a keyboard with keys like this?

Tiny backspace, huge delete, faraway insert.

@dhromed said:

No repro. Ever at all.

It's happened to me a few times. And due to the nature of failure probability, it always happened with big ass-files which is great. Not.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

Buffett stands out now, too. That fat sack of shit would be giving blowjobs in the Omaha bus station* just to afford the Medicare co-payment for his Lipitor if he hadn't been bailed out a half-dozen times by now. Where's Action Directe when you actually want 'em?

(*I assume Omaha only has a single bus station.)

Omaha has two bus stations, but the blowjobs have kinda naturally congregated at Bus Station #2 at the corner of Main and Blowjob.  The town records are kinda fuzzy one which came first, the street name or the blowjobs. It's a real chicken-and-egg situation. Well, a cock-and-egg situation. Well, a cock-and-throat-and-face situation.

Bus Station #1 is where you go for hand jobs from meth-heads. It's a shame they kinda naturally lost the blowjob business, though. It was the closest they got to brushing their teeth. Now they're completely toothless which makes them ironically better suited for blowjobs. Instead they're stuck with manual labor, working with their hands. No one supports the mom-and-pop businesses anymore. (By that I mean the 15 year olds who have been living in the basement of the abandoned warehouse long enough to be legally common-law-- who now sell handjobs for meth.)

Come to think of it, Omaha's a real shithole. You should go there some day. 

• Opera released their webkit-based Android browser a few days ago - have you tried that yet? :)

@Zecc said:

On a semi-related note, why, why, why? did I buy a keyboard with keys like this?
    Because you didn't look before you bought?

• @Zecc said:

I blame the public education system and weakly-enforced incest laws.

• @dhromed said:

@lolwtf said:
    you have no way of knowing this has happened until you actually go and try to use the file

No repro. Ever at all.

Yeah, but you always "use" your downloads as soon as they complete. Heck, half the time you've already "used" all over your pants before you even get the file open.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Buffett stands out now, too. That fat sack of shit would be giving blowjobs in the Omaha bus station* just to afford the Medicare co-payment for his Lipitor if he hadn't been bailed out a half-dozen times by now.

Warren Buffet being "bailed out"? Do you get your news on Yahoo Answers? Let me quote Forbes on that:

@Forbes said:

It is just an absolute falsehood to maintain the $95 billion was to enrich Warren Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway. And all accusations to the contrary only underscore the notion I have long held that most citizens of the United States are illiterate with respect to financial or economic matters. And it is a huge gap in the nation’s understanding and intelligence that has to be righted some day.

Read more

• @Ronald said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    Buffett stands out now, too. That fat sack of shit would be giving blowjobs in the Omaha bus station* just to afford the Medicare co-payment for his Lipitor if he hadn't been bailed out a half-dozen times by now.

Warren Buffet being "bailed out"? Do you get your news on Yahoo Answers? Let me quote Forbes on that:

@Forbes said:

It is just an absolute falsehood to maintain the $95 billion was to enrich Warren Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway. And all accusations to the contrary only underscore the notion I have long held that most citizens of the United States are illiterate with respect to financial or economic matters. And it is a huge gap in the nation’s understanding and intelligence that has to be righted some day.

Read more

Bullshit. If the TBTFs hadn't been bailed out, he would have lost billions. That article is fucking nonsense. "Buffett didn't directly receive bailout funds." Wow, what great hair-splitting: companies he had significant holdings in did receive bailouts, which kept his shares from becoming near-worthless.

• @morbiuswilters said:

That article is fucking nonsense. "Buffett didn't directly receive bailout funds." Wow, what great hair-splitting: companies he had significant holdings in did receive bailouts, which kept his shares from becoming near-worthless.

This is not a bailout, unless you also consider that all shareholders of all those banks were also bailed out, which does not make sense. He never had a controling interest in any company that received bailout money.

In any event, losing his entire stake in WFC or other banks where he was a shareholder would not have taken him off the list of the richest americans. BH has a huge portfolio that is spread across multiple industries.

You cannot just use words and stretch their meanings to piss on people you disagree with, otherwise you're just a fascist.

• @Ronald said:

This is not a bailout...

Yes it is.

@Ronald said:

...unless you also consider that all shareholders of all those banks were also bailed out...

Yes they were. How the fuck is this so hard to comprehend?

@Ronald said:

He never had a controling interest in any company that received bailout money.

So? He benefited handsomely.

@Ronald said:

In any event, losing his entire stake in WFC or other banks where he was a shareholder would not have taken him off the list of the richest americans. BH has a huge portfolio that is spread across multiple industries.

Yeah, obviously the "blowjob in the Omaha bus station" thing was a joke. It's sad I have to explain that. Regardless, he would have lost a lot of his wealth if there hadn't been a series (of still ongoing, even) efforts to prop up valuations. So fuck him. He's a big, fat welfare queen. He should be publicly hanged.

@Ronald said:

You cannot just use words and stretch their meanings to piss on people you disagree with...

You are an idiot. So, in your world, the only entities which received bailouts were the direct recipients of government largesse? So basically the nebulous entity of "Wells Fargo" was bailed out, but none of the people working there or shareholders were bailed out, despite the fact that they directly benefited. How fucking stupid does that sound do you? That's like saying "Hey, I didn't get a blowjob from Warren Buffett, my penis got a blowjob from Warren Buffett and I just went along for the ride."

• @morbiuswilters said:

You are an idiot.

Wrapping your weak logic in insults does not make it more convincing. Maybe at some point you should consider moving above the first or second levels of this pyramid:

As for the bailout situation: the purpose was to prevent a domino effect in the banking industry and none of the shareholders directly benefited from the money. So Warren Buffet (or my aunt Pam who happens to have WFC stock) was not bailed out. Stating otherwise is a simple equivocation, a confusion about the meaning of "bailout".

• Re: blakeyrat has a very small penis

• Considered Harmful

You sure have a lot of support for a guy who pissed all over your favorite language.

• @joe.edwards said:

You sure have a lot of support for a guy who pissed all over your favorite language.

I think it's called avatar hard-on. I'll do an experiment on this topic and let you know how it went.

• @Ronald said:

Wrapping your weak logic in insults does not make it more convincing. Maybe at some point you should consider moving above the first or second levels of this pyramid:

I refuted your central point, you ball-chugging shit-for-brains. I also happened to wrap it in insults because I hate you and you are ugly.

@Ronald said:

the purpose was to prevent a domino effect in the banking industry

Yeah, it was to protect people from having to pay for their mistakes by robbing the people who didn't make any.

@Ronald said:

none of the shareholders directly benefited from the money.

What the fuck, you are so... urgh. You're saying that someone who was going to lose money--who deserved to lose money--but was bailed out and didn't lose money didn't "directly benefit"?

@Ronald said:

Stating otherwise is a simple equivocation, a confusion about the meaning of "bailout".

No, it isn't. I don't think you know what the fucking word means.

• @Ronald said:

@joe.edwards said:

I think it's called avatar hard-on. I'll do an experiment on this topic and let you know how it went.

I suddenly feel compelled to nod my head and pretend I agree with you while continuing to drink beer and watch TV.

Could you bring me a sandwich?