We may disagree on the quality of Go, but...

• If json was faster this would not have happened!

• The dude has a golang.org email addy. I think that says a lot about the quality of Go..

• @morbiuswilters said:

The dude has a golang.org email addy. I think that says a lot about the quality of Go's (Google-employed) developers

FTFY

• That happens on our Service Desk aswell. If they submit a ticket via a webapp, the contents of the ticket default to a small template to help the user provide as much details in as few words as possible. Many leave it blank. As an added bonus, the Summary/Subject Line of the ticket is not required for the webapp, so we get a few blank tickets.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    The dude has a golang.org email addy. I think that says a lot about the quality of Go's (Google-employed) developers

FTFY

Is that supposed to make it better?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

FTFY

Exactly....
    I'd say that "something rubbish, made by people who are otherwise alright" (loosely paraphrasing Morbs) is less pejorative than "something rubbish, made by people who are rubbish" (loosely paraphrasing Ben).

• @eViLegion said:

Exactly....
    I'd say that "something rubbish, made by people who are otherwise alright" (loosely paraphrasing Morbs) is less pejorative than "something rubbish, made by people who are rubbish" (loosely paraphrasing Ben).

Wtf has Google done recently that can be said to be "otherwise alright"? Gmail is about the only Google service besides search I still use and that's a whole decade old.

• @eViLegion said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

FTFY

Exactly....

But Go is not rubbish, so neither of those options could possibly be paraphrasing me.

•  He mean Go is rubber-like. It certainly seem bouncy, at the very least?

• @TheLazyHase said:

He mean Go is rubber-like. It certainly seem bouncy, at the very least?

Go is rubber, you are glue; it bounces of it and sticks to you.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Gmail is about the only Google service besides search I still use and that's a whole decade old.

And it's awful compared to what Microsoft's doing on Outlook.com, but email addresses are too hard to switch.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

And it's awful compared to what Microsoft's doing on Outlook.com

........ you're joking, right?

The new new hotmail I mean the new live I mean MetroMail I mean outlook.com is a crayon looking piece of shit. I know they're going for that stupid tablet everything, but fuck.

First there's the fact that I NEVER know if it's working or not. I click on Inbox, let's say. It just sits there. Has its ajax shit itself and I need to hit F5? Don't know. Is it refreshing the inbox? Don't know. Will my new emails show up? DON'T KNOW! I just want to click Inbox and have the page refresh and show my new emails. If 50% of the time the page just sits there and refuses to tell me the difference between "working" and "I shit myself", then it's just as good as shitting itself 100% of the time.

And the compose window. Holy fuck, the compose window. Go grab any email client or email webservice. Any one of them. Even Yahoo. Even Lotus notes. Okay, got it? Click New to compose a new message. How's it look?

I'll tell you hows it looks. The top say 10-25% of the screen is filled with long horizontal input fields for To, CC, BCC and Subject. Maybe you need to click an extra button to expose the CC and BCC. It's possible. Beneath it is a large (LARGE) textbox outlined in black that very clearly is there to take the body of your email. Now head over to Outlook and click the big fugly button marker "DUR NEW". Oh, I forgot to mention-- even though every other email program that ever existing has the New button in the upper left so you can hit it super easy, Outlook.com is on the top about 1/3 of the way from the left. You'll need to search for it.

Okay, now that we're actually composing a new mail with Outlook, what do you see? You see this:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HU8E2uG.png[/IMG]

1) Thanks for taking up 25% of the screen to show me my own name. That's vital information

2) Side by side. Just level every other email program no one ever used.

3) Where is the compose box? I know it should be there somewhere. It isn't benath  the TO field. It's just empty space. Maybe it hasn't loaded. I don't see a black-bordered input box anywhere.

4) Ohhhh-- aparently the gigantic empty space is supposed to be an input field. Well, some of it is anyways. Start randomly clicking until you click inside the box.

5) Finally got it. Well, I know that they must be going for the tablet look. EVERYTHING on the goddamn page is in this huge comical font and massively oversided. It's like a cartoon for retarded children. Well, at least that will made typing up the email easy, since the font will be nice and big and easy to read...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Fv045MT.png[/IMG]

Fuuuuuu!  In case you can't tell, that's, I believe 10px font.  Just marvel at how gloriously small it is, especially relative to all the GIGANTIC FUCKING ICONS!

6) I almost forgot to add a subject. Must be because there is no label for Subject: followed by a dark border input box. Just a piece of text that looks greyed out. Because people certainly haven't gotten used to greyed out == disabled == ignore.

7) Finally composed the mail. Just want to send it. Send is always right above the input boxes, right? Nope, left-shifted halfway across the screen.

I'm so glad they managed to nearly hide the BODY field (which is an unimportant field when composing an email), create huge icons everywhere and move the expected positioning of the To field... all to, I dunno why? Save space for tablet devices.

Even though by doing so, they've wasted 10% of the screen on a mal-positioned icon bar. They've wasted 15% of the screen showing me my own name. They've wasted 35% of the screen on completely blank space. And of the remaining used portion, the font is so goddamn small that it's nearly unreadable.

Also-- full screen email? Really? Even on Gmail I can see my mailbox counts on the side when composing. Fuck off, Outlook. Also also-- I can't cancel composing the email. I can request to by clicking Cancel, but I just sits there like a shitard. FUCK!

Did I, eight months ago, [url="http://userstyles.org/styles/75248/trying-to-fix-hotmail-metro-style-outlook-com?r=1368811648"]create a userstyle to unfuck it the best I can[/url]?  Why yes, yes I did.

Edit: Replaced second image with proper second image

• What a shocker. Lorne hates a Microsoft product.

• @blakeyrat said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Gmail is about the only Google service besides search I still use and that's a whole decade old.

And it's awful compared to what Microsoft's doing on Outlook.com, but email addresses are too hard to switch.

I'm going to take everything I know from the outlook commercials I've seen in the tiny amount of TV I watch:

HEY GUYS YOU CAN DELETE LOTS OF EMAILS AT THE SAME TIME

OUTLOOK DOT COM

Seriously, that's all I got from the commercials. Similarly, the Bing commercial can be paraphrased as "a non-zero and non-100% percentage of the people who we asked about search engines liked Bing more than Google."

• @blakeyrat said:

What a shocker. Lorne hates a Microsoft product.

That would be because of that particular product's insanely poor usability.

I agree with all his criticisms but find it odd that anybody should be surprised to cop a barrage of WTF from anything called "Outlook".

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@flabdablet said:

@blakeyrat said:
    What a shocker. Lorne hates a Microsoft product.

That would be because of that particular product's insanely poor usability.

I agree with all his criticisms but find it odd that anybody should be surprised to cop a barrage of WTF from anything called "Outlook".

The funny thing is that the Outlook desktop program (not Outlook Express) is one of the most insanely usable and powerful tools I have on my computer. It is damn near 100% intuitive, does absolutely everything you need it to do for mail, scheduling, calendars, etc.

I don't know how they could have gone so absolutely wrong with Hotmail. They already had a good UI. It even worked just fine on Mobile.

Then they reduced usability and reliability in every conceivable way. It's like there was a contest to how far they could miss the point and still have a system that didn't just crash straight to a 500 error message.

• @Lorne Kates said:

(not Outlook Express)

Please exit the sleeping tube. The year is 2013. This is your orientation: Outlook Express has not been a thing for 8 years.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    The funny thing is that the Outlook desktop program (not Outlook Express) is one of the most insanely usable and powerful tools I have on my computer.

Please exit the sleeping tube. The year is 2013. This is your orientation: Outlook Express has not been a thing for 8 years.

Okay, Blakey. I see what you mean: Outlook sucks.

• @blakeyrat said:

Outlook Express has not been a thing for 8 years.
    It's still around, they just renamed it to Windows Live Mail.

• @Lorne Kates said:

Did I, eight months ago, create a userstyle to unfuck it the best I can?  Why yes, yes I did.

Relating just to the userstyles site, does Stylish even run on Firefox for Android anymore? I almost switched until I learned the hard way that Greasemonkey doesn't run on it, and I couldn't find an older version of the browser that worked, nor did the ol' chestnut of changing the version number in the xpi work.

I'd switch to Firefox for Android if it had a working userscript extension!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Ben L. said:

@Blakeywhat said:

Okay, Blakey. I see what you mean: Outlook sucks.

Ha!

Blakey: I just wanted to point out that you have just been completely and effectively ICE BURNED by Ben L.  I think it's time you maybe take the weekend off and think about what life choices you've made that has allowed this scenerio to come to pass. Come back fresh on Monday.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@MiffTheFox said:

Relating just to the userstyles site, does Stylish even run on Firefox for Android anymore? I almost switched until I learned the hard way that Greasemonkey doesn't run on it, and I couldn't find an older version of the browser that worked, nor did the ol' chestnut of changing the version number in the xpi work.

I'd switch to Firefox for Android if it had a working userscript extension!

No idea. I'm still waiting for Firefox for Playbook so I can use a portable browser that doesn't suck ballshit.