Google

• @morbiuswilters said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Especially considering that most cross-platform apps and high-performance ones (like Chrome) use Android NDK anyways.

The sad thing is that you consider Chrome high-performance. My favorite mobile Chrome features:

• Takes shit-long to render pages. This is even if I'm home, with a great wifi signal. My net connection is 30/5 and I can bring up the page in desktop Chrome in about 1s. On Android? Takes like 30s.

• Switching tabs causes pages to reload. What. The. Fuck. I don't even understand why this happens, or who decided it should work like this, and it doesn't always do it. But plenty of times I'll switch to another tab I was reading 10 minutes before, only to have Chrome decide that it needed to reload the page. And this isn't a page that reloads in normal browser, so I don't know, Chrome just likes re-loading pages. And then since it takes 30s to render the fucking thing, I'm just left standing there with my dick in my hand.

• Sometimes is just like "Fuck you, I crash now". Of course, maybe I should know better than expecting a browser to be able to handle 3 simultaneous tabs.

• Stupid fucking sites like Wikipedia have Javascript that fires after the page is loaded, but since it takes for-fucking-ever in Chrome it fucks up shit. And this is the goddamn mobile Wikipedia site. But I'll start typing my search and after 3 seconds the Wikipedia onload Javascript will fire, which tells the browser to move the cursor to the search box and clear the input, meaning it just chops off the first few characters and is like "Ha ha, fuck you, now I'm gonna search for 'ttle of gettysburg', asshole!"

Other sites do similar shit, where they cause the focus to jump to the top of the fucking page or something retarded. But since mobile Chrome is so ass-slow, I'm already a paragraph into the thing I was reading when the browser finally gets around to executing the "onload" JS and moving me all the way back to the top. FUCK.

You do know that android browser isn't chrome, right?

• @El_Heffe said:

@morbiuswilters said:

As for M$, I do wish they'd exert more control over their OEMs. It's baffling to me that they still let fuck-ups like Sony and HP install shitware all over the OS.
    As a consumer, I agree with this. Unfortunately, from a business standpoint, there really isn't any way for Microsoft to "exert control" over OEMs.  To the OEMs Microsoft is just another vendor that supplies just one of the many components that goes into a PC.  If Microsoft tried to "exert control" the result would most likely be the OEMs (especially the big ones)  telling them "we already paid you XX million dollars for Windows licenses, everything else is none of your business so kindly fuck off".  Windows revenue is needed to prop up all their other divisions that make little or no money, so Microsoft has no leverage over the OEMs.

I don't agree with that. What is HP going to install if not Windows? Ubuntu? Ha. (Plus, they'd bloat that with shitware, too.)

M$ is the only company that can give the OEMs the most essential part of their product. On everything else they have multiple vendors, alternatives. They might have a very tiny hit on licensing fees to make up for the revenue OEMs are losing by being forced to stop moonlighting as malware pushers, but in the long-run it would make a better product and better experience. One thing I have to admire about Apple (and condemn M$ and Android for) is they keep their shit tight, they aren't going to let the user experience get ruined with a bunch of goddamn nagware bullshit that pisses of users and essentially says to them "Fuck you, your time is less important than trying to push Symantec products on people.!"

• @Ben L. said:

My browser says "Chrome". It's built on WebKit. By Google.

• @Nagesh said:

@PSWorx said:

You don't quit crack just because your dealer is an asshole either, after all.

Is this from your personal experience as a delaer or addict?

बेवकूफ प्रोग्रामर नागेश! तुम हम सब मूर्ख शेर से भी बेवकूफ लग रही हो! अपने घर पर एक शर्म की बात है! वह निश्चित रूप से दरार कोकीन डीलर और उपयोगकर्ता दोनों है!

• @FrostCat said:

For example, let's take a moment to bash Windows Phone.  *pause* Ok, now that that's over, the next time you're in a big box store, see if you can look at one of the handheld scanners EVERYONE uses for inventory control. Guess what those are running on?  Yup, Windows CE, which Windows Phone is built on top of.  Go into a convenience store when a vendor like Budweiser, Coke, or whatever, and they're using 'em too.  (Except for Frito-Lay, unless they've changed, because they did it before anyone else, and they had to use PCs because there weren't anything smaller, so they won't/didn't switch until they'd depreciated that investment.)  Everyone else is basically using Pocket PCs.

You mean those deliciously chunky Symbol PocketPCs?  I was so impressed by the one the exterminator at our office had, I went and dropped nearly 10 Benjamins on one.  For the record, Frito-Lay uses Intermec CK31s running Windows Mobile 5 now.  Awful devices.  UPS just upgraded from custom Symbol devices running CE.Net 4.2 to Honeywell Dolphin units, still running Windows CE.

Windows Mobile will NEVER EVER DIE.

Plus, there's a Common Lisp implementation for em.

[img]http://demergence.com/wtf/drurowin-stop-fucking-shit-up.jpg[/img]

[The next time you feel like posting a 1.6mb image to the forum, I'm replacing it with 1.6gb of Rosie nudes. -ShadowMod]

• @drurowin said:

That dildo at the bottom of the photo looks pretty intense.

• @drurowin said:

You mean those deliciously chunky Symbol PocketPCs?  I was so impressed by the one the exterminator at our office had, I went and dropped nearly 10 Benjamins on one

TRWTF is having an exterminator at the office

• @drurowin said:

@Nagesh said:

@PSWorx said:

बेवकूफ प्रोग्रामर नागेश! तुम हम सब मूर्ख शेर से भी बेवकूफ लग रही हो! अपने घर पर एक शर्म की बात है! वह निश्चित रूप से दरार कोकीन डीलर और उपयोगकर्ता दोनों है!

आप का उपयोग करने जा रहे हैं गूगल के अनुवादक अपने HTML से यह वर्ग के नाम हटाने के लिए सामान्य शिष्टाचार है.

• :belt_onion:

@Ben L. said:

Yes it is; Chrome has replaced the stock browser as of Jelly Bean.

• @drurowin said:

For the record, Frito-Lay uses Intermec CK31s running Windows Mobile 5 now.  Awful devices.  UPS just upgraded from custom Symbol devices running CE.Net 4.2 to Honeywell Dolphin units, still running Windows CE.

Argh, Intermec. Overpriced, fragile*, outdated. They finally replaced the P3-800 powered CV60 with a CV61 with modern-ish guts, for twice the price. I guess just because they ran out of ancient parts.

And, fun thing, Honeywell just bought out a manufacturer of similar, much better devices, and sells them for quite a bit cheaper.

What do you think of Symbol after Motorola bought them out?

• Now, Intermec printers were pretty cool. But seems that over the years, production quality of the same models is getting worse.

• @wrack said:

@drurowin said:
    For the record, Frito-Lay uses Intermec CK31s running Windows Mobile 5 now.  Awful devices.  UPS just upgraded from custom Symbol devices running CE.Net 4.2 to Honeywell Dolphin units, still running Windows CE.

Argh, Intermec. Overpriced, fragile*, outdated. They finally replaced the P3-800 powered CV60 with a CV61 with modern-ish guts, for twice the price. I guess just because they ran out of ancient parts.
    And, fun thing, Honeywell just bought out a manufacturer of similar, much better devices, and sells them for quite a bit cheaper.
    What do you think of Symbol after Motorola bought them out?

* Now, Intermec printers were pretty cool. But seems that over the years, production quality of the same models is getting worse.

Re: Honeywell: They bought HHP/Handheld Products.  Never used the HHP Dolphin series but heard good things about em.  Only experience I have with post-Motorola Symbol stuff is the MC9090-G and so far it doesn't seem any different from the MC9060-G.  The MC9190-G seems like just a refresh of the same platform.  I know other stuff (MC70/MC75/MC55/etc) is just Symbol stuff with the Motorola logo added to the casing.  Motorola Solutions is pretty much just Symbol + Motorola's 2-way radio division, the consumer cell phone crap went to Motorola Mobility and now Google.  Mobility and Solutions were always two different divisions inside Motorola.  They'd be stupid to fuck up Symbol's stuff though.

• @Nagesh said:

@PSWorx said:

Neither one, I'm afraid. I just tried to do what all the cool kids here (i.e. morbs/blakey) are doing. But I think I still have to practice.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@morbiuswilters said:

- Switching tabs causes pages to reload.

That might not be Chrome, or even Android. Safari for iOS does the same thing: http://www.jwz.org/blog/2012/04/browser-cache-do-you-speak-it/

@morbiuswilters said:

Android comes with a bunch of pre-installed shitware and you can't even uninstall it. And then the core, Google-provided applications still run like shit on every Android phone I've ever seen.

You can always[1] root your phone. Cyanogenmod, for example, doesn't come with the Google apps built in--you have to install them yourself. Failing that you should be able to remove stuff by rooting, even if it's just temporary root.

Also, as far as Google apps running like shit, that just means you haven't seen a good phone yet. I recently replaced an HTC Inspire 4G, which was a decent phone when I got it 2 years ago, but only just barely, but the Google apps ran decently. And of course if you throw enough hardware at a problem it tends to go away. My current phone is a Galaxy Note II, and I haven't found an app yet that runs like shit--the phone's a quad-core with 2GB of RAM. Which is entirely ridiculous, but it certainly makes the phone run nicely.

[1] Mostly, that is. Assuming they've ported it to your phone. But there's a shitload of other roms for other phones. XDA Developers is all over that.

@drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

For example, let's take a moment to bash Windows Phone.  pause Ok, now that that's over, the next time you're in a big box store, see if you can look at one of the handheld scanners EVERYONE uses for inventory control. Guess what those are running on?  Yup, Windows CE, which Windows Phone is built on top of.  Go into a convenience store when a vendor like Budweiser, Coke, or whatever, and they're using 'em too.  (Except for Frito-Lay, unless they've changed, because they did it before anyone else, and they had to use PCs because there weren't anything smaller, so they won't/didn't switch until they'd depreciated that investment.)  Everyone else is basically using Pocket PCs.

You mean those deliciously chunky Symbol PocketPCs?  I was so impressed by the one the exterminator at our office had, I went and dropped nearly 10 Benjamins on one.  For the record, Frito-Lay uses Intermec CK31s running Windows Mobile 5 now.  Awful devices.  UPS just upgraded from custom Symbol devices running CE.Net 4.2 to Honeywell Dolphin units, still running Windows CE.

Windows Mobile will NEVER EVER DIE.

Plus, there's a Common Lisp implementation for em.

[The next time you feel like posting a 1.6mb image to the forum, I'm replacing it with 1.6gb of Rosie nudes. -ShadowMod]

Yeah, exactly. I worked in a convenience store for a while a few years back, and saw that all the vendors had 'em, except, like I said, the very smallest ones, and Frito-Lay. Wal-Mart and Target, in particular, use 'em. You walk into a Target, and you'll hear that tri-note chirp that's a default Windows Mobile sound.

I have a really nice WM2003 iPaq, the hx4705. It's too bad that the WM5 upgrade broke so many 2003 devices.

• @FrostCat said:

Yeah, exactly. I worked in a convenience store for a while a few years back, and saw that all the vendors had 'em, except, like I said, the very smallest ones, and Frito-Lay. Wal-Mart and Target, in particular, use 'em. You walk into a Target, and you'll hear that tri-note chirp that's a default Windows Mobile sound.

I have a really nice WM2003 iPaq, the hx4705. It's too bad that the WM5 upgrade broke so many 2003 devices.

The hx4705 was actually the HTC Roadster, first of all. ;)  I think XDA-Developers had a unofficial WM6.5 port for it. Yep, here it is. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=707528

• @drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

The hx4705 was actually the HTC Roadster, first of all. ;)  I think XDA-Developers had a unofficial WM6.5 port for it. Yep, here it is. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=707528

Did you pass out from too much Kinky Liquer? You still owe me a statically-linked MySQL. IIRC, this was supposed to take about an hour.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

Did you pass out from too much Kinky Liquer? You still owe me a statically-linked MySQL. IIRC, this was supposed to take about an hour.

I found a bug you might want to see

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

I found a bug you might want to see

I didn't run into that bug, but I also don't want to get blamed for international computer terrorism and extradited to the US when he hoses up his "special flower" environment.

• @drurowin said:

I didn't run into that bug, but I also don't want to get blamed for international computer terrorism and extradited to the US when he hoses up his "special flower" environment.

Hey I'm all for special relationships and inside jokes (these days I'm having lots of fun with the ice cream kid) but you have to try and play with the other children. So just out of curiosity, for those who lost their way in this vendetta, could you provide a bit of context about this special flower thing? Sounds naughty.

• @Ronald said:

@drurowin said:

Hey I'm all for special relationships and inside jokes (these days I'm having lots of fun with the ice cream kid) but you have to try and play with the other children. So just out of curiosity, for those who lost their way in this vendetta, could you provide a bit of context about this special flower thing? Sounds naughty.

Can you change your avatar back to hitler mcdonald? I keep accidentally thinking you're an intelligent human who flies a plane, but then I read your posts and I realize you're just a moran.

• @drurowin said:

I also don't want to get blamed for international computer terrorism and extradited to the US

Look, there was already a pretty good chance you were going to end up as collateral damage in a drone strike. This way, at least you'll have the pleasure of knowing you were right. Which will come in handy when you spend the next 50 years in a black site prison.

Seriously, though, "I don't want to be labelled a terrorist" has to be the lamest cop-out ever. But if that's the tack you're gonna take, then I don't want to continue trying to prove dynamic linking is superior because the residents of your backwards country will accuse me of witchcraft and burn me at the stake.

• @Ben L. said:

I keep accidentally thinking you're an intelligent human who flies a plane...

I keep accidentally thinking he's a hot blonde chick.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

I was speaking relatively.

• @Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @Ben L. said:

When people talk about me without me being involved it feels like getting a handjob by a korean masseuse who is texting with her other hand (which ranks about halfway between "the stranger" and a gloryhole in a coed building where you can't tell for sure who is on the receiving end).

• @Ronald said:

@Ben L. said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Ben L. said:

When people talk about me without me being involved it feels like getting a handjob by a korean masseuse who is texting with her other hand (which ranks about halfway between "the stranger" and a gloryhole in a coed building where you can't tell for sure who is on the receiving end).

Ben, this guy's a weirdo.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ronald said:
    @Ben L. said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    @Ben L. said:

Ben, this guy's a weirdo.

He's like SpectateSwamp except less understandable.

@drurowin said:

@FrostCat said:

I had that update. Unfortunately, when MS changed the memory model from "half of RAM is for running programs, the other half[2] is for storing programs[1]" to "all RAM is for running programs", some weird architectural thing made all the machines run like crap.

[1]Why? God only knows. Apparently they didn't have flash in those days. If your battery ran out, you lost all your programs. And settings. [2]Yes, you had a slider that could control how much ram was allocated to running programs and how much to storing them. Except if you went too far from 50/50, it would forget your setting. 2003 ran fine on any device; upgrade to 5 or later, and it ran much slower.

ETA: No, it turns out I only had 6.1, but 5 and 6 and 6.1 all had the same problem, and this guy wants money for the 6.5 roms and my new phone is a hell of a lot faster.

• @FrostCat said:

[1]Why? God only knows. Apparently they didn't have flash in those days. If your battery ran out, you lost all your programs. And settings.
    [2]Yes, you had a slider that could control how much ram was allocated to running programs and how much to storing them. Except if you went too far from 50/50, it would forget your setting. 2003 ran fine on any device; upgrade to 5 or later, and it ran much slower.

I used to assume that those sort of devices had no flash whatsoever and the only options for storage were volatile memory, a ROM chip, or magnetic media. Palm OS did it too, I had a Tungsten I loved that the battery died on.

@MiffTheFox said:

@FrostCat said:

[1]Why? God only knows. Apparently they didn't have flash in those days. If your battery ran out, you lost all your programs. And settings.
    [2]Yes, you had a slider that could control how much ram was allocated to running programs and how much to storing them. Except if you went too far from 50/50, it would forget your setting. 2003 ran fine on any device; upgrade to 5 or later, and it ran much slower.

I used to assume that those sort of devices had no flash whatsoever and the only options for storage were volatile memory, a ROM chip, or magnetic media. Palm OS did it too, I had a Tungsten I loved that the battery died on.

Yeah, it was probably something like that. Unfortunately, like I said, the 4705--as well as the 2000 series, and I'd heard most other devices that had 2003->5 upgrades--ran like shit when upgraded. Some kind of algorithmic change I can't remember, perhaps GC, ran MUCH more frequently and aggressively, and would basically lock your machine for 5-10 seconds once a minute. People spent ages trying to find mitigations, but i don't think the issue was ever fixed per se.

People whine about Windows upgrades ruining their experience by changing the way stuff works or removing features, but most of the Windows changes don't render your PC literally semi-unusable.

Ah, found it: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsmobile/archive/2006/06/07/621132.aspx not quite GC, but erasing dirty flash sectors. The problem was more widespread than he claims, and really nasty.

ETA formatting.

• @FrostCat said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    @FrostCat said:

[1]Why? God only knows. Apparently they didn't have flash in those days. If your battery ran out, you lost all your programs. And settings. [2]Yes, you had a slider that could control how much ram was allocated to running programs and how much to storing them. Except if you went too far from 50/50, it would forget your setting. 2003 ran fine on any device; upgrade to 5 or later, and it ran much slower.

Yeah, it was probably something like that. Unfortunately, like I said, the 4705--as well as the 2000 series, and I'd heard most other devices that had 2003->5 upgrades--ran like shit when upgraded. Some kind of algorithmic change I can't remember, perhaps GC, ran MUCH more frequently and aggressively, and would basically lock your machine for 5-10 seconds once a minute. People spent ages trying to find mitigations, but i don't think the issue was ever fixed per se.

People whine about Windows upgrades ruining their experience by changing the way stuff works or removing features, but most of the Windows changes don't render your PC literally semi-unusable.

Ah, found it: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsmobile/archive/2006/06/07/621132.aspx not quite GC, but erasing dirty flash sectors. The problem was more widespread than he claims, and really nasty.

ETA formatting.

My Symbol MC50 didn't have that problem when upgraded from PPC2003 to WM5.0.  Maybe Symbol actually did testing or something.