Any job/career websites with a location filter that actually works?

• I've got to start searching for a new job, due to business changes my current gig will be up within a few months. I don't want to relocate and I live in a pretty rural area, though there's a good-sized city of around 80,000 people within an hour's drive. That's an acceptable commute but about as far as I want to go.

So I've done some googling for job opportunities in that city. And no matter what job site, even if I tell it to filter to that city it consistently gives me jobs hundreds or even thousands of miles away from that place. It's like every company in the world has spammed every job site for every geographic location with their open positions. Or none of the sites' location filters work. Or I just suck. Or some combination thereof.

I do have some local contacts I need to talk to, just wondering what TDWTF has to say about finding recruiters or positions. I'm primarily looking for a developer position though I'm well-rounded enough to probably do anything in IT.

• @mott555 said:

It's like every company in the world has spammed every job site for every geographic location with their open positions. Or none of the sites' location filters work.

Both, I think.

@mott555 said:

I do have some local contacts I need to talk to, just wondering what TDWTF has to say about finding recruiters or positions.

I hear a lot of horror stories about recruiters, but honestly it's mostly worked out well for me, both looking for a job and trying to hire people. Of course, some recruiters are scummy and some will forward you shitty candidates without vetting, but there are good ones, too.

• The only job site worth shit is LinkedIn, and only if you ignore the listings and rely on your network.

• Wow, I am so bored at work right now. Our IT staff was me and two other guys. The other two are out of the office for some kind of conference or client meeting or whatever. My project was canned so there's no development work for me. They left me a small list of IT things to take care of while they are gone...but they revoked all my admin rights first. So I can't do crap.

I always thought I envied my friends who didn't have real jobs and spent hours at work reading or surfing the web or watching YouTube. Now I know I wouldn't be able to stand it.

• I have that problem too, but it's compounded that when I put non-billable hours on my timesheet I get yelled at. So I have to say, almost every week:

"Ok, boss, you have three options:
    1) You assign me 40 hours worth of work each week (which is hard because I'm so clever and handsome I get stuff done quick)
    2) I put those hours on a product, making them look overbudget
    3) I put those hours in "personal development", making me look non-busy-- which is exactly what I am!"

It's not my fault sales can't keep up with me.

• So my IT day has gone something like this:

The secretary asks me to set up a printer on her new workstation. I try but I can't because I have no admin rights to her PC.

Another guy asks me to modify a config file for an instance of our application to add some data, per client request. I make all the modifications, click save, and find I don't have write permissions to that server.

Then I need to take a look at a SQL Database schema for something. Log in with SQL Server Management Studio, and no permissions.

Then someone needs me to take a look at our IIS server and fix a setting on something. I try to remote in and find I no longer have remote desktop access to any of the servers.

I'm starting to wonder what they meant about keeping me for the next 3 - 6 months. I literally can't do anything.

I am all caught up on my forum reading though. Well, except for this one of course. I need to keep SOME of my sanity intact.

• I finally found an answer to this question: Craigslist. I've never used them before, but I think I'll have several leads from there.

• @mott555 said:

I finally found an answer to this question: Craigslist. I've never used them before, but I think I'll have several leads from there.

• Step 1: Contact your collage friends.
    • Step 2: Find out if anyone is in project work.
    • Step 3: Go meet project manager for said project work.
    • Step 4: Give your resume to that PM.
    • Step 5: Wait for call for him.

• @Nagesh said:

@mott555 said:

I finally found an answer to this question: Craigslist. I've never used them before, but I think I'll have several leads from there.

• Step 1: Contact your collage friends.
  • Step 2: Find out if anyone is in project work.
  • Step 3: Go meet project manager for said project work.
  • Step 4: Give your resume to that PM.
  • Step 5: Wait for call for him.
  • Collage friends?  Hmm, used to do a little of that back in the eighth grade, but I honestly haven't kept in touch with anyone from back then.