The Wine file browser

• @morbiuswilters said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    I believe they also have a risk to have a huge crash (i.e., possibility of coma) if they have too much sugar in a short period of time.
    Bingo. I'm very mildly hypoglycemic. I can usually eat or drink whatever I want, but sometimes a bit of sugar will cause a bad crash, especially if I don't eat for a long time after.

Ah OK, so it is a spike in blood sugar causing over compensation that leads to the crash (if I'm reading the right things into what you said anyway).  How do you normally compensate for being hypoglycemic then (if sugary things causes overcompensation then you probably don't handle them the same way we diabetics do)?

• @morbiuswilters said:

I used to hate it, but then I trained myself to drink diet soda and now I can't drink regular without feeling sick.

I'm very mildly hypoglycemic.
    You get a pass.
    I don't eat meat, but when I did I liked steak well-done. Crispy, even.
    I will (and have) eat an entire steak raw. Tartare sandwiches....mmmm.....
    Ketchup is awesome.
    Why would you ruin a perfectly good tomato with sugar and vinegar? Ketchup is an affront, a bastardization of a wonderful and delicious fruit.
    Yeah, those people are dicks. Want to team up and genocide them?
    Yes, but once our work is done, we must duel due to your vile loyalty to ketchup.

• @locallunatic said:

How do you normally compensate for being hypoglycemic then (if sugary things causes overcompensation then you probably don't handle them the same way we diabetics do)?

I believe the solution is carbs and natural sugars (like an apple).

• @morbiuswilters said:

Man, I can't believe you're racist to your own friends. Do you hit your black friend with whips and make him pick your cotton?

That costs extra.

• @locallunatic said:

Ah OK, so it is a spike in blood sugar causing over compensation that leads to the crash (if I'm reading the right things into what you said anyway).

Yes.

@locallunatic said:

How do you normally compensate for being hypoglycemic then (if sugary things causes overcompensation then you probably don't handle them the same way we diabetics do)?

I usually avoid sugary stuff (I don't have much taste for it anyway). If I do eat something sugary, I'm sure to balance it out with proteins, fats and more complex carbs. The only times I really have trouble are when I do something like drink a large, sugary iced coffee and then don't eat during the day. Suddenly I get sweaty, dizzy, shaky, weak, headache-y and very irritable. It usually comes one very quickly (within a few minutes of feeling the initial shittiness I'm nearly unable to stand up straight.) When that happens, I scarf down some sugar and real food to get my blood sugar back up, and usually feel better within a few minutes of starting to ingest something sweet.

A few times I've also had the thing somebody else described where I'll consume a bunch of sugar then almost immediately fall asleep and wake up a few hours in this god-awful haze. So I usually just avoid sugar.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

You get a pass.

Well, I don't drink diet because I'm hypoglycemic. I drink diet because I consume between 1 and 4 liters of soda a day and that much sugary soda would ruin my girlish figure.

@mikeTheLiar said:

Why would you ruin a perfectly good tomato with sugar and vinegar?

Because sugar and vinegar make everything more delicious.

@mikeTheLiar said:

Ketchup is an affront, a bastardization of a wonderful and delicious fruit.

Botanically, tomatoes are a fruit, but so is wheat. Culinarily, tomatoes are vegetables.

@mikeTheLiar said:

Yes, but once our work is done, we must duel due to your vile loyalty to ketchup.

Try dueling after I throw vinegar in your eyes.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Suddenly I get sweaty, dizzy, shaky, weak, headache-y and very irritable. It usually comes one very quickly (within a few minutes of feeling the initial shittiness I'm nearly unable to stand up straight.) When that happens, I scarf down some sugar and real food to get my blood sugar back up, and usually feel better within a few minutes of starting to ingest something sweet.

OK, so it is basicly the same way but with tacking on some other foods so that you don't get a secondary crash from treating the first.

• @locallunatic said:

@morbiuswilters said:

Suddenly I get sweaty, dizzy, shaky, weak, headache-y and very irritable. It usually comes one very quickly (within a few minutes of feeling the initial shittiness I'm nearly unable to stand up straight.) When that happens, I scarf down some sugar and real food to get my blood sugar back up, and usually feel better within a few minutes of starting to ingest something sweet.

OK, so it is basicly the same way but with tacking on some other foods so that you don't get a secondary crash from treating the first.

Exactly.

• @morbiuswilters said:

Botanically, tomatoes are a fruit, but so is wheat.

Wheat is a cereal.

Culinarily, tomatoes are vegetables.
    Which is why we have tomato chutney, tomato jam, tomato jelly, tomato ice cream, tomato smoothies.....
    Try dueling after I throw vinegar in your eyes.
    And I'll put sugar in your coffee.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

Wheat is a cereal.

And cereal grains are fruits.

@mikeTheLiar said:

Which is why we have tomato chutney, tomato jam, tomato jelly, tomato ice cream, tomato smoothies.....

Other vegetables get the same treatment (maybe not identical treatment, but each of those things can be made with some other vegetables.) The point is, tomatoes are lumped in the vegetables when cooking. Botanists just look at the whole nomenclature used in food and say "WTF?"

• Considered Harmful

@morbiuswilters said:

tomatoes are lumped in the vegetables when cooking

Also, legally they are defined as vegetables (for taxation purposes).

• @joe.edwards said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    tomatoes are lumped in the vegetables when cooking

Also, legally they are defined as vegetables (for taxation purposes).

The second-best Supreme Court decision on vegetables, after Terri Schiavo.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    Wheat is a cereal.
    And cereal grains are fruits.

I'll be goddamed. Learned something today.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@mikeTheLiar said:
    ...this Mid-West shit-kicking hick...

Regionist.

And don't forget those anti-dentite bastards.

• @pbean said:

Stop trying to run Windows software on Linux. That's your problem right there.

QFT.

Also why does Wine have like ten drives?

• @MiffTheFox said:

Also why does Wine have like ten drives?

To show off its collection of sports cars?

• @El_Heffe said:

I thought of another thing to add to my list: people who reference TV shows that have been off the air for 15 years like it's still relevant.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@El_Heffe said:
    I thought of another thing to add to my list: people who reference TV shows that have been off the air for 15 years like it's still relevant.
    And yet you immediately knew what I was talking about.  As for "off the air", there are 3 episodes on today, starting at 6:30pm EST.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@El_Heffe said:

Stifle!

• @mikeTheLiar said:

@El_Heffe said:

I thought of another thing to add to my list: people who reference TV shows webcomics that have been off the air for 15 years like it's still they were ever relevant.
    FTFY