Epic context menu

• @morbiuswilters said:

I can't think of any courts that would agree with you that this is copyright infringement.

Judge Judy. If you contradict her or speak at the same time she does, she will find for the other party with no regard to the evidence, and your only option after that will be to bitch in the 15 second feedback interview in the hallway.

• Considered Harmful

@Ronald said:

the 15 second feedback interview in the hallway.

"But, by his own admission, he murdered my whole family in cold blood!"

• @Ronald said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    I can't think of any courts that would agree with you that this is copyright infringement.

Judge Judy. If you contradict her or speak at the same time she does, she will find for the other party with no regard to the evidence, and your only option after that will be to bitch in the 15 second feedback interview in the hallway.

I love Judge Judy. But, no, that's technically not a court.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ronald said:
    @morbiuswilters said:

I love Judge Judy. But, no, that's technically not a court.

I went on the internets to try and prove you wrong but turns out this is correct. Basically she is doing civil arbitration (to which the real people involved have agreed) while wearing a judge disguise. I feel betrayed.

• @Ronald said:

I went on the internets to try and prove you wrong but turns out this is correct. Basically she is doing civil arbitration (to which the real people involved have agreed) while wearing a judge disguise. I feel betrayed.

They also get compensated for their appearances, so I don't think any litigants actually lose money by going on the show. Basically it's "Hey, you guys have a dispute, want to have us pay you all off if Judge Judy can yell at you for a few minutes?"

BTW, most of what she does would not be legal in a real court, which is part of how you can tell it's not real. For example, litigants are allowed to see evidence the other party is going to introduce before the trial. That gives them an opportunity to prepare a proper response.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    How do these ads even get on ad networks? Sound? Pop-up? "Bad ads".

They don't get on reputable ad networks. Only sleazy ones.

Unless someone buys ads from a reputable network and which is just an ad from a sleazy network. (Usually it's more removed than that.)

• @blakeyrat said:

@drurowin said:
    @Ben L. said:
    Whoa, four posts in a row. Blakey's writing a novel. About advertisements.

He makes "six figures" (probably with 2 leading 0s) at an Internet advertising company.

Uh, what? Wrong and wrong.

It's kind of hard to have conversations with people when they make shit up and claim they "know" it about me. Drurowin would know that, being a circus strongman with an Iranian wife and 5 parrots.

You yourself said you work in Web analytics, which is a fancy way of saying an ad broker.  You live in Seattle, and have money for things like Internet access, so you've got to be making -decent- bank.  It's just deduction, plain and simple.

And how the fuck did you know about my job in the circus?

• @drurowin said:

You yourself said you work in Web analytics, which is a fancy way of saying an ad broker.

No it's not.

@drurowin said:

You live in Seattle,

No I don't.

@drurowin said:

and have money for things like Internet access, so you've got to be making -decent- bank.

You need 6 figures to buy Internet access?

@drurowin said:

It's just deduction, plain and simple.

Not exactly Sherlock Holmes here, folks.

• @blakeyrat said:

@drurowin said:
    It's just deduction, plain and simple.

Not exactly Sherlock Holmes here, folks.

Holmes had lots of deductions: pipes, funny hats, morphine..

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

@drurowin said:
    and have money for things like Internet access, so you've got to be making -decent- bank.

I TOLD you all that dataplans in the States were fucking ridiculous! COMCA$T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @Lorne Kates said:

@blakeyrat said:

@drurowin said:

I TOLD you all that dataplans in the States were fucking ridiculous! COMCA$T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only $74.99/mo for datacenter-grade 6Mbit internet!

• @Ben L. said:

Holy crap, Wisconsin's more of a backwater than I'd ever imagined. They still have dial-up? Is that so the people who awake from their TimePods® aren't started by how fast AltaVista loads?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

Holy crap, Wisconsin's more of a backwater than I'd ever imagined. They still have dial-up? Is that so the people who awake from their TimePods® aren't started by how fast AltaVista loads?

Fun fact: that website is hosted in Arizona.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

Unfortunately, yes. We spend almost $60 per month for 30 Mb (HA!) down and 1 Mb up. It's beyond pathetic.

Google Fiber, come forth and deliver us from evil...

Well, actually I don't care, I'm making tracks for Texas as soon as possible.

• @Master Chief said:

We spend almost $60 per month for 30 Mb (HA!) down and 1 Mb up.

I spend $66 for 30/5 (which is what I get). Seems very reasonable to me. Everything is expensive here, though.

@Master Chief said:

I don't get this. I can have multiple Netflix streams going, download some files and work just fine on 30/5. What could you possibly need more bandwidth for? I can think of two things: 1) bigger e-penis; and/or 2) illegal activities.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Master Chief said:

I don't get this. I can have multiple Netflix streams going, download some files and work just fine on 30/5. What could you possibly need more bandwidth for? I can think of two things: 1) bigger e-penis; and/or 2) illegal activities.

It's not the speed, it's the price. Someone paying $60/mo in perpetuity would be better served by paying $25/mo for a year, then free indefinitely even if it's the same speed.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Someone paying $60/mo in perpetuity would be better served by paying $25/mo for a year, then free indefinitely even if it's the same speed.

Soo.. apparently you're claiming we can have free fiber for life for just $300 up-front?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    Someone paying $60/mo in perpetuity would be better served by paying $25/mo for a year, then free indefinitely even if it's the same speed.

Soo.. apparently you're claiming we can have free fiber for life for just $300 up-front?

Yep.

• @MiffTheFox said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    @MiffTheFox said:

Yep.

And you do realize that this is basically a way for Google to mine even more personal information about you? That it's not free and that this sounds like a much worse deal than just paying for cable?

• @morbiuswilters said:

And you do realize that this is basically a way for Google to mine even more personal information about you? That it's not free and that this sounds like a much worse deal than just paying for cable?

And you do realize that if Google's doing it, there's no reason why Comcast/Charter/Time Warner/whatever-fuck-other-major-ISP isn't?

If only TLS 1.1 would become more commonplace so that we're not vulnerable to BEAST anymore.

• @MiffTheFox said:

And you do realize that if Google's doing it, there's no reason why Comcast/Charter/Time Warner/whatever-fuck-other-major-ISP isn't?

I can guarantee it's not nearly as core to their plans as it is to Google's. Simple economics: at $300 "for life" (yeah, right) Google is going to be losing money right out of the gate, so they have to find some other way to monetize you. Comcast, etc. can be profitable without needing to resort to that.

@MiffTheFox said:

If only TLS 1.1 would become more commonplace so that we're not vulnerable to BEAST anymore.

Blame OpenSSL--it has FOSS's usual attention security. SChannel has supported TLS 1.2 for years now.

Anyway, BEAST isn't a problem unless they have software installed on your machine that can manipulate the stream of data an application is sending. And Google's not going to try to hack your encrypted connections.

• Here's the thing though: Bandwidth is cheap. Dirt cheap. The reason most US cable companies charge so much for it is because they have a monopoly on it in the region.

The $300 set up fee only covers what it costs them to install the line to your house. It's free because 5 Mbps down / 1 up* costs them next to nothing to actually keep running. 5/1 isn't a very good internet speed, but it's comparable to low end plans from Comcast/etc.. What they want you to do is upgrade to their $70/month 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps plan, or their $120/month plan that includes internet TV as well.

Also if you're so paranoid about Google's tracking you should be running an ad blocker instead of saying it's unethical not to. You're ok with tracking-supported online content, but not tracking-supported offline services? (Implying Google Fiber even does track users.)

* Undefined whether it's (mega/mebi)(bytes/bits). Blame Google on this one, I'm just parroting their figures.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Here's the thing though: Bandwidth is cheap. Dirt cheap. The reason most US cable companies charge so much for it is because they have a monopoly on it in the region.

Although that's certainly part of it, there's also a lot of expense in maintaining infrastructure.

@MiffTheFox said:

It's free because 5 Mbps down / 1 up* costs them next to nothing to actually keep running.

It still costs them something, and more than you're probably thinking. Google isn't running a charity, even one that gives out shitty Internet connections. They're making money off you somehow.

@MiffTheFox said:

Also if you're so paranoid about Google's tracking you should be running an ad blocker instead of saying it's unethical not to. You're ok with tracking-supported online content, but not tracking-supported offline services? (Implying Google Fiber even does track users.)

We've already covered how unethical blocking ads is. If Google wants to offer users "free" Internet in exchange for ads or by tracking them, that's fine, but I'm sure as fuck not participating. I already made it quite clear that I hate ads. Now, I wish I could opt out of other Google ads, but that's not an option.

As for their Internet, it's only a matter of time until they monetize that. They may be offering it "free" as a trial period now, but Google is a publicly-traded company and there's only so long they're going to lose money on something like this. That is why I said you clearly don't understand economics.

• @MiffTheFox said:

Here's the thing though: Bandwidth is cheap. Dirt cheap. The reason most US cable companies charge so much for it is because they have a monopoly on it in the region.

The $300 set up fee only covers what it costs them to install the line to your house. It's free because 5 Mbps down / 1 up* costs them next to nothing to actually keep running. 5/1 isn't a very good internet speed, but it's comparable to low end plans from Comcast/etc.. What they want you to do is upgrade to their $70/month 1 Gbps / 1 Gbps plan, or their $120/month plan that includes internet TV as well.

Surprisingly none of those cable companies is able to buy a small country with their excess cash (unlike Apple). You know why? Because the last mile (between their core network and your house) cost them a lot more than $300 per household to maintain and there is no way they can have it done by chinese slaves. Plus messing with their network there are idiots with bobcats, utilty companies with obsolete blueprints, common thieves who sell copper, etc. Then there is the backbone connection where themselves they get raped by top tier monopolies. Lawyers flooding them with DMCAs and other notices. FBI or DHS trying to get the latest PPV history from your neighbor Hassan. And let's not forget clever customers trying to scam the helpdesk out of their monthly bill, every month.

The reason why they charge for bandwidth specifically is that they must span their fees over things that can be itemized on your invoice and to somehow make it look like it's a pay per use thing. Just like airlines (which are also not made of gold).

• @Ronald said:

Just like airlines (which are also not made of gold).

No duh. Gold is dense. No way you're building a plane out of that.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ronald said:

Bullshit. Airlines are fictional curves across the globe along which planes are supposed to fly. You can't make them out of anything, since they're not corporeal.

• @dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Ronald said:

Bullshit. Airlines are fictional curves across the globe along which planes are supposed to fly. You can't make them out of anything, since they're not corporeal.

You ruined the joke.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Ronald said:

You ruined the joke.

Bullsquid. You can't make something incorporeal out of gold! Gold is corporeal!