Epic context menu


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    I was trying to copy and share a link from TDWTF forums and my context menu seemed... longer than usual.



    (Yes, that's a scroll arrow at the bottom.)



  •  It's a bug in Firebug. Uninstalling Firebug and restarting Firefox fixes it. It appears to still be in the latest version (or at least it was on Saturday).



  •  Wow... I had the same error. Firefox 20.0.1 on Win7, when browsing the Sidebar. The error persisted on other tabs and I had to restart FF.

     

    Community Server: making browsers expose their WTFs



  • greatest context menu I've ever seen



  • This bug is ANCIENT.



  • Considering the primary function of Firebug, they could try to sell that as a feature.

    But I'm wondering more how it made through testing, being a bit apparent and all. ... I presume that they do "human testing" before releases. Please correct me if you know this to be false.

    Does it require other add-ons to be present to reproduce?



  • Yeah, thats an old one.Almost as irritating as the one that sometimes stops the tab bar from scrolling,the inability to zoom on mobile or use the keyboard to go back on Linux,and Community server sometimes deleting 2 characters on backspace instead of just one.



  • @OldCrow said:

    But I'm wondering more how it made through testing, being a bit apparent and all. ... I presume that they do "human testing" before releases. Please correct me if you know this to be false.

     

    Like the tab-bar-not-scrolling bug and many others, it is intermittant, random, and only reproducable when under tight deadlines during the first full-moon following a Pagan ritual.

     



  • @SamC said:

    tab-bar-not-scrolling bug
     

    I hate that motherfucking bug. I get it about once or twice a month. The only thing in common is that the computer has been on for a while, and just came out of being locked. Required a FF restart to fix.

    And it's not like I can actually repro it, or even provide and meaningful log dumps. I do feel for the FF devs on that one.  As far as I know, it's some Flash player that wasn't comlpetely garbage collected that's looking for a global variable that was reset to a different value by a second Flash player in another tab that's been open for more than 8 hours.

    But then I realize that they removed [url="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=825486"]"Press ESC to stop animated gifs"[/url], and that they can all go fuck themselves.



  • @SamC said:

    Yeah, thats an old one.
     

    FireFox is only 6 versions old!  BugZilla is just a theory!

    Old? WERE YOU THERE?



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    And it's not like I can actually repro it, or even provide meaningful log dumps. I do feel for the FF devs on that one. 
    Firefox has several weird bugs that are probably almost impossible to fix.  One of the biggest ones is random profile corruption which then causes all sorts of weird stuff.  Over the past year I have encountered two problems, the first one was every time I started Firefox it would decide that the file <font face="courier new,courier">places.sqlite</font> was corrupt and replace it with a new empty file, resulting in the loss of all my browsing history.  The second one involved Youtube videos that are embeded in other websites.  If I tried to play the video I just got a back square where the video should be.  But if I went to Youtube, the video played just fine.  Both of these problems were only solved by nuking my profile and starting over with a new one. @Lorne Kates said:
    But then I realize that they removed "Press ESC to stop animated gifs", and that they can all go fuck themselves.
    This is really getting to be a problem with Firefox.  The attitude of "we can remove or fuck up any feature, and if you don't like it, fuck you, use an extension"  is running rampant.



  • @OldCrow said:

    Considering the primary function of Firebug, they could try to sell that as a feature.

    But I'm wondering more how it made through testing, being a bit apparent and all. ... I presume that they do "human testing" before releases. Please correct me if you know this to be false.

    Does it require other add-ons to be present to reproduce?

     

    They pray over it for a bit, and if God doesn't give them a sign, they release it.

     



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    But then I realize that they removed "Press ESC to stop animated gifs", and that they can all go fuck themselves.

    Psst, Opera lets you enable and disable animated gifs in two clicks.

    Also images, plugins, sounds, javascript and cookies.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @Lorne Kates said:
    But then I realize that they removed "Press ESC to stop animated gifs", and that they can all go fuck themselves.
    This is really getting to be a problem with Firefox.  The attitude of "we can remove or fuck up any feature, and if you don't like it, fuck you, use an extension"  is running rampant.

    Not to mention one of the features they do tend to fuck up a lot is extensions.

    Fortunately Chrome's winning the browser war.



  • @spamcourt said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    But then I realize that they removed "Press ESC to stop animated gifs", and that they can all go fuck themselves.

    Psst, Opera lets you enable and disable animated gifs in two clicks.

    Also images, plugins, sounds, javascript and cookies.

    And pretty soon, Opera will use the One True Rendering Engine™. Cheers!



  • @spamcourt said:

    @Lorne Kates said:

    But then I realize that they removed "Press ESC to stop animated gifs", and that they can all go fuck themselves.

    Psst, Opera lets you enable and disable animated gifs in two clicks.

    Also images, plugins, sounds, javascript and cookies.

    I can disable an entire webpage with a single click in Chrome.

    I can also do the same thing in any other browser with either tabs or the ability to click the "close window" button.



  • The Firefox extension named QuickJava can enable or disable a lot of things in a single click, including animated images.



  • @spamcourt said:

    Psst, Opera lets you enable and disable animated gifs in two clicks.
    Also images, plugins, sounds, javascript and cookies.
    One click, if you add the buttons to toolbar. And it's had click-to-run plugins long before Firefox.



  • @drurowin said:

    They pray over it for a bit, and if God doesn't give them a sign, they release it.

     

    Well, that would explain it. They have the system backwards. You're only supposed to release when you get an explicit thumbs-up from upstairs.

    In most companies, releasing without explicit approval is enough for immediate termination.

     

    But seriously, Firefox had two things going for it. It had lots of neat add-ons and it didn't have IE's bugs. Now IE is finally starting to look like a product. So the only thing going for Firefox are the add-ons... oh, wait. At least NoScript still seems to work.

    Perhaps it's time to change browsers. The bug that's bugging me the most in Firefox is that it freezes the whole Windows UI for up to half a minute. Windows 7 64bit. On both machines that I use daily. But only when loading some certain pages the first time.



  • What the hell are Firefox playing at recently. I've got 20.0.1 here that randomly spews certificate errors for mainline sites such as google.com, randomly forgets cookies, randomly clears my Flash cache, and randomly omits / adds / breaks things on the context menu ... such as images that can't be saved, sources that can't be viewed, new tabs that can't be opened.

    It's almost like they want me to sell my soul to the devil and use Google Chrome instead ... and then I realized that Google pay Mozilla megabucks each year (apparently to fuck their own product up so much, no one wants to use it anymore ?)



  • The same happened to me last Sunday:

    I'm too lazy for inserting an alternate text

     

     I'm too lazy for inserting an alternate text

    I had heard of this bug before, but it's the first time I saw it. Restarting Firefox solved the problem.

     



  • This is where I heard of this bug for the first time: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Web-01-Bus-Signage.aspx

    It's the third image.



  • @daveime said:

    What the hell are Firefox playing at recently. I've got 20.0.1 here that randomly spews certificate errors for mainline sites such as google.com, randomly forgets cookies, randomly clears my Flash cache, and randomly omits / adds / breaks things on the context menu ... such as images that can't be saved, sources that can't be viewed, new tabs that can't be opened.
     

    Don't forget RSS feeds break. Create a folder of RSS feeds. Half the feeds will just freeze when they try to open.

    The solution is, of course, install 18.0.x and wait for them to release a stable version. (Instead Version 50 will be out next week joke here)

    Edit: Insert Version 51 will be out next week joke here


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @OldCrow said:

    But seriously, Firefox had two things going for it. It had lots of neat add-ons and it didn't have IE's bugs. Now IE is finally starting to look like a product. So the only thing going for Firefox are the add-ons... oh, wait. At least NoScript still seems to work.

    Perhaps it's time to change browsers. The bug that's bugging me the most in Firefox is that it freezes the whole Windows UI for up to half a minute. Windows 7 64bit. On both machines that I use daily. But only when loading some certain pages the first time.

    Firebug is the killer app that keeps me on board (ironically, the plug-in blamed for the OP issue).

    The dev tools on the other browsers don't come close to touching it. (Flame on!)



  • @ledazinha said:

    The same happened to me last Sunday:

    I'm too lazy for inserting an alternate text

     

     I'm too lazy for inserting an alternate text

    What the goddamn shit is this?



  • @joe.edwards said:

    Firebug is the killer app that keeps me on board (ironically, the plug-in blamed for the OP issue).

    The dev tools on the other browsers don't come close to touching it. (Flame on!)

    Sadly that's true. I'm surprised Firebug is still around though, didn't Mozilla write their own and integrate it with the browser?



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    Sadly that's true. I'm surprised Firebug is still around though, didn't Mozilla write their own and integrate it with the browser?
     

    Guess what:

    1) Doesn't do half of what Firebug does

    2) Doesn't do any of what Firebug does with extensions (see FireQuery for debugging jquery)

    3) Provides a horrible UI and UX

    4) No one asked for

    5) No one uses

    6) Broke the shortcut keys of several popular extensions, like Adblock "Select element to hide" CTRL-SHIFT-K

    If you guess "that fucking piece of shit Mozilla put into Firefox even though everyone and their sister's vibrator uses Firebug?!?!", then congratulations! You can spot the obvious.

    (Note: sideffects of spotting the obvsious excludes you from making design decisions for Mozilla)



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    If you guess "that fucking piece of shit Mozilla put into Firefox even though everyone and their sister's vibrator uses Firebug?!?!", then congratulations! You can spot the obvious.

    Mozilla's been fucking up for several years now. Everybody flamed me the last time I said it around a year ago, but the browser keeps getting slower, buggier and with more god-awful shit crammed in instead of addressing core problems.

    Meanwhile, Chrome is actually a surprisingly good browser, considering it comes from Google. Apparently they can't make a smartphone platform even when I'm paying them for it, but they can make a decent free browser. And the built-in dev tools, while a notch below Firebug, are good enough for me. They're also a lot faster than Firebug, although that may be a Linux thing. When I go to open Firebug, shit like the Net tab lags so awful. Even just bringing up Firebug takes a few painful seconds, whereas the Google dev tools pop right up and shit in the Network tab flies by.



  • @ledazinha said:

    The same happened to me last Sunday:

    I'm too lazy for inserting an alternate text

     

     I'm too lazy for inserting an alternate text

     



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Meanwhile, Chrome is actually a surprisingly good browser, considering it comes from Google. Apparently they can't make a smartphone platform even when I'm paying them for it, but they can make a decent free browser. And the built-in dev tools, while a notch below Firebug, are good enough for me. They're also a lot faster than Firebug, although that may be a Linux thing. When I go to open Firebug, shit like the Net tab lags so awful. Even just bringing up Firebug takes a few painful seconds, whereas the Google dev tools pop right up and shit in the Network tab flies by.

    Then you try to resize a column in a list view, and realize nobody at Chrome knows how the fuck a GUI is supposed to work.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    Mozilla's been fucking up for several years now. Everybody flamed me the last time I said it around a year ago, but the browser keeps getting slower, buggier and with more god-awful shit crammed in instead of addressing core problems..
    My biggest complaint for a long time now hasn't been all the uselss crap that gets added to Firefox, althought it certainly is annoying,  but the fac that they keep removing features that people actually want. @morbiuswilters said:
    Meanwhile, Chrome is actually a surprisingly good browser, considering it comes from Google.
    Chrome is pretty good and I've used it on and off for a while but the only thing Chrome has to offer is that it might be faster than Firefozx.  And while faster is always nice, faster isn't all that important if the rest of the program isn't that great.  Chrome lacks the customizability and configuration options of Firefox and that's the deal breaker for me.  For example, the default UI of Firefox sucks shit but I can easily and quickly change it to something I like better.  The UI of Chrome sucks shit and . . . well, fuck you . . .use it and shut up.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Then you try to resize a column in a list view, and realize nobody at Chrome knows how the fuck a GUI is supposed to work.

    what

    It works exactly like every other resizeable column heading I've ever seen.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Chrome lacks the customizability and configuration options of Firefox and that's the deal breaker for me.  For example, the default UI of Firefox sucks shit but I can easily and quickly change it to something I like better.  The UI of Chrome sucks shit and . . . well, fuck you . . .use it and shut up.

    Yeah, but when you use the same browser across several computers, it gets hard to maintain the same Firefox between one's personal computer (dual-boot), laptop (dual-boot), shared computer, work computer, etc. Not to mention that any day the extension developer may switch to another browser and not maintain the extension anymore, which mean it'll break when the next version number comes around...



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Then you try to resize a column in a list view, and realize nobody at Chrome knows how the fuck a GUI is supposed to work.

    How so? The columns seem to resize fine for me. In Firebug, I can't even resize the columns in the Net tab, although that might just be something Linux-related.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    My biggest complaint for a long time now hasn't been all the uselss crap that gets added to Firefox, althought it certainly is annoying,  but the fac that they keep removing features that people actually want.

    They just keep fucking it up in-general. Adding buggy features nobody asked for that make it run like shit. Not fixing old bugs. Taking out shit people relied on. I remember when the "Awesome Bar" came out, it was a piece of ass and lots of people hated it but Mozilla was like "Fuck you, you'll learn to love it because it is the future." It was then that I realized Firefox had peaked.

    @El_Heffe said:

    The UI of Chrome sucks shit and . . . well, fuck you . . .use it and shut up.

    Yeah, it kind of does. Fucking web forms for options? Ugh. Also, there's hardly an extensions for it.

    But at the same time, Chrome is fast and stable and Firefox is slow and buggy (for me, at least..) When I type ctrl-t, I expect a new tab to pop open immediately, not sit and wait for 3 seconds while Firefox tries to figure out how the fuck it draws a new viewport.



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    Not to mention that any day the extension developer may switch to another browser and not maintain the extension anymore, which mean it'll break when the next version number comes around...

    I had that shit all the time when I ran Firefox. I had about 2 dozen extensions (almost all for web development) and the day a new FF came out half of them just died. The worst part was, it was trivial to go in and "fix" them by just unpacking the xpi, editing the manifest so the max version was the version I was trying to run, and then install.



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Then you try to resize a column in a list view, and realize nobody at Chrome knows how the fuck a GUI is supposed to work.

    How so? The columns seem to resize fine for me. In Firebug, I can't even resize the columns in the Net tab, although that might just be something Linux-related.

    How could you NOT notice it being wrong? Are you people blind? Jesus fuck.

    Here's the Blakeyrat Handy Image Guide To Wrong Tables Gold Edition 2.0(tm):

    How could you NOT see that as a problem? No wonder software is so shitty: something as fucking BASIC as a table, something FUCKING 100% PERFECTED by FUCKING 1984 and programmers STILL don't fucking even KNOW how their own fucking computer is SUPPOSED TO WORK!

    Can you imagine if a fucking car engineer came into his office, and says, "electronic fuel injection? What's that? I have never heard of this thing nor do I know how it works! Also I have been designing cars for my entire career!" But in IT, this thing is considered NORMAL! Or at least NOT FIRE-WORTHY.

    Well fuck that noise. You have an engineer who doesn't know how a fucking table works, YOU FUCKING FIRE THEM. NOW.

    EDIT: I kept calling "tables" "list views" because the RAGE has short-circuited several neurons in my brain.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @morbiuswilters said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Then you try to resize a column in a list view, and realize nobody at Chrome knows how the fuck a GUI is supposed to work.

    How so? The columns seem to resize fine for me. In Firebug, I can't even resize the columns in the Net tab, although that might just be something Linux-related.

    How could you NOT notice it being wrong? Are you people blind? Jesus fuck.

    Here's the Blakeyrat Handy Image Guide To Wrong Tables Gold Edition 2.0(tm):

    How could you NOT see that as a problem? No wonder software is so shitty: something as fucking BASIC as a table, something FUCKING 100% PERFECTED by FUCKING 1984 and programmers STILL don't fucking even KNOW how their own fucking computer is SUPPOSED TO WORK!

    Chrome is not the only program that does this.  I've encountered quite a few applications that do the same thing.  And yes, it is extremely retarded.

     



  • @morbiuswilters said:

    The columns seem to resize fine for me. In Firebug, I can't even resize the columns in the Net tab, although that might just be something Linux-related.
     

    That's got to be my biggest complaint about Firebug (aside from the random slowing down of FF). There's just no reason I can think of why the column isn't resizable. Then again, I don't know the Firebug codebase, so maybe there was a bad decision made in v0.1 that's locked them in. Their devs are otherwise really good at responding to bugs and providing support on their forum.

     @I'm too lazy to scroll back up said:

    For example, the default UI of Firefox sucks shit but I can easily and quickly change it to something I like better.

    Agreed. But man does it piss me off every time I have to install an extension to restore basic functionality

    - Old Default Image Style - Because Mozilla fucked up how a image URL looks.

    - Status-4-Evar - Becausae Mozilla fucked up how a status bar works

    - Menu Editor - Because Mozilla fucked up how a context menu works

    - Greasemonkey + Stylish: Because websites in general fuck up how their UI looks (not Mozilla's fault, but fuck web developers)

    @everyone else said:

    Blah blah blah Chrome

    Here's the thing. If you take a blank installation of Chrome, and a blank installation of Firefox, they're both butt-lubricatingly fast. But they're both completely deficient as browsers. So you need extensions. Which Firefox has. And by the time you have enough extensions to make Firefox usable again, it's slowed down a bit. I've just come to live with it.

    I can deal with a 3 second tab-open delay, because I grew up using slow-ass computers on slow-ass Internet. But I can't abide by an Internet without Adblock, Noscript and Stylish. God damn, how the fuck do people browse on an Internet like that?  Flashing, bouncing ads. Constant "slideshow" shit on every page. Headers that take up 50% of the vertical space. position:fixed "like" buttons all over the place. A single column of text that are 200px wide. Overlays popping up all over the place. MOTHERFUCKER seriously!

    @The guy who I agree with what he just said said:

    Got flamed for this years ago... awesome bar...

    I agree with you that years ago people were overly defensive of Firefox, and it had rightfully earned that level of trust. But they're slowly and surely pissing that away.

    The thing about the Awesome Bar is that it illustrates everything wrong with them. Here's the thing-- the Awesome Bar is actually a very useful feature. I've used it to "remember" pages that I visited a year and a half ago. Cool.

    But: 1) No one asked for it  2) People wanted to be able to disabled it 3) No one wanted it on by default 4) It has a retarded name 5) The developer's reaction to user feed back was 'fuck you'

    If thye had just put it in, left it either optional or disable-able, then it would have been slowly adopted over time. People would discover it, use it--- install a new Firefox and forget to disable it-- etc. And anyone who was staunchly against it would just never have used it an CONTINUED TO BE A HAPPY FF USER who would not badmouth the browser at every opportunity.

    I think the Moz devs should be able to put in exploritory or revolutionary UI and features-- BUT ONLY AFTER they fix bugs. In fact, that should be the currency at Mozilla. Fix a bug, get credits equal to the severity and age of the bug. Cash them in to introduce optional, disable-able features into the core.  A huge bug gets you one small feature. No one would complain about options to explore IF the important stuff gets fixed first.

    But if you want to introduce new features and UI without fixing core, then do what everyone else does. Create an extension. Then we can safely ignore you.



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    The thing about the Awesome Bar is that it illustrates everything wrong with them.  ....  (1) No one asked for it  2) People wanted to be able to disabled it 3) No one wanted it on by default 4) It has a retarded name 5) The developer's reaction to user feed back was 'fuck you'
    Which pretty much sums up the majority of new features they've added in the last couple of years.



  • How I'd run new features is just crib them from the top extensions on AMO, or just incorporate the extension entirely if it's under something like the Apache license.

    Hell if I made a web browser, I'd integrate an adblocker, YouTube downloading, debugging, userscripts, mass downloads, and third-party content blocking all stock.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    WRONG APPLICATION

    Quite right. Here's a video I just made from REAL Google Chrome, complete with horrible gif compression:



  • @blakeyrat said:

    No! Wrong!

    As evidenced by the timeline psuedo-column in the Network section, they almost got it right once.
    Then they remembered they work for Google and had to fill their Terrible User Experience quota for the day.



  • @Ben L. said:

    Quite right. Here's a video I just made from REAL Google Chrome, complete with horrible gif compression:

    Hey dumbfuck, it's not a repro if it's a different fucking table. You also failed to test the "double-click the column header dividers" case, which doesn't work on the table you're giffing.

    F-, try again.



  • @Ben L. said:

    Quite right. Here's a video I just made from REAL Google Chrome, complete with horrible gif compression:

    That's the Network tab, which actually behaves somewhat sanely by shrinking the timeline column (which is still a WTF; what if you want the timeline column to be the same size?).
    Try doing it again in the Profiles tab.



  • @Salamander said:

    Try doing it again in the Profiles tab.

    OH DEAR GOD

    It's like they took it straight from Safari...



  • @blakeyrat said:

    How could you NOT notice it being wrong?

    Hmm, I checked the Network tab, which does basically what I expect (taking space from the far-right timeline column). I don't think I've ever seriously used profiles in Chrome, so I didn't notice it. The scary thing is, they're clearly using two different table widgets.

    Still, Firebug doesn't even allow you to resize columns in the Net tab, so I think Chrome still comes out on top.

    @blakeyrat said:

    Well fuck that noise. You have an engineer who doesn't know how a fucking table works, YOU FUCKING FIRE THEM. NOW.

    Doubtful. This is Google; they probably gave him a huge bonus and his own company masseuse for "thinking outside the box".



  • @Lorne Kates said:

    If you take a blank installation of Chrome, and a blank installation of Firefox, they're both butt-lubricatingly fast. But they're both completely deficient as browsers. So you need extensions. Which Firefox has.

    Even stock, Chrome is faster than FF for me. And the slowest FF extension I have is Firebug, which comes stock with Chrome. Admittedly, there are a lot of good FF plugins I miss, but I've learned to use other tools.

    @Lorne Kates said:

    I can deal with a 3 second tab-open delay, because I grew up using slow-ass computers on slow-ass Internet.

    So did I, which is why I can't. This isn't 1998. Internet connections are 1000 times faster, computers have vastly more of every resource. Why the fuck should browsing be just as pitiful as it was 15 years ago?

    @Lorne Kates said:

    But I can't abide by an Internet without Adblock, Noscript and Stylish.

    Won't use, haven't used for many years, haven't heard of. Some sites are shit, but I just avoid them.



  • @Ben L. said:

    @Salamander said:
    Try doing it again in the Profiles tab.

    OH DEAR GOD

    It's like they took it straight from Safari...

    It's... it's almost as if what I said were true? HOW COULD THAT BE!

    @morbiuswilters said:

    Hmm, I checked the Network tab, which does basically what I expect (taking space from the far-right timeline column).

    Except it still doesn't work when you double-click the divider in the column header, so it's still fucking wrong.

    Pro-tip: before building your own shitty-ass version of an OS-standard widget, maybe have SOME small clue what the OS-standard widget actually fucking does first maybe.



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    How I'd run new features is just crib them from the top extensions on AMO, or just incorporate the extension entirely if it's under something like the Apache license.

    Isn't that how we ended up with a shitty Firebug clone?

    @MiffTheFox said:

    ...an adblocker, YouTube downloading, debugging, userscripts, mass downloads, and third-party content blocking all stock.

    Adblocker: Unethical.

    YouTube downloading: Why bloat my browser with a feature 99% of people will never use? Besides, everything on YouTube is shit, so you don't need to be downloading it. And finally, are you forgetting that Google owns YouTube? Why would they provide an extension that does something they expressly try to prevent?

    debugging: Useless for 99.99% of users. Why bloat the browser with this?

    userscripts: See above, except add a few 9s on the end.

    mass downloads, and third-party content blocking all stock: I don't even know what you mean by these, but I've lived this long without them, I'm sure I don't need them (nor do most users.)


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.