Iron Man is now powered by Oracle

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:
    @Lorne Kates said:
    {.}{.}
    Mommy, why are they pointy?

It's disturbing that you see boobs and immediately think of your mother.

Actually, I saw your mother's boobs and was immediately disturbed.

• @Sutherlands said:

why do you think that police are there for every traffic infraction?
    I expect them to fix a recurring, endemic problem, if someone said that they are frequent, in a certain area, then, yes, for fuck sake the police should fucking solve the issue, unless you are all fucking incompetent@Sutherlands said:
    Why do you think they would ignore this?

I have no idea why they would ignore this but the fact that it keeps happening makes me believe that they are ignoring it, at least where I live we take away your fucking license if you don't know how to fucking drive
    @Sutherlands said:
    People drive the wrong way down streets every day.

Then they shouldn't... drive at all then. It is that fucking simple. @Sutherlands said:
    I'd venture that most people that have driven for awhile have done it at least once. 

Man, people in your country suck
    @Sutherlands said:
    And besides, 1 in 5 homes each year will experience a break-in or home invasion.

Wait, why are you living in post apocaliptic Detroit then?

• @serguey123 said:

@Sutherlands said:
    I'd venture that most people that have driven for awhile have done it at least once. 
    Man, people in your country suck @Sutherlands said:
    And besides, 1 in 5 homes each year will experience a break-in or home invasion.
    Wait, why are you living in post apocaliptic Detroit then?

Ah yes, it must not be like that anywhere else.  In the UK, once again, there are 2-5 times as many home invasions because they basically don't allow you to defend yourself.

• @Sutherlands said:

In the UK, once again, there are 2-5 times as many home invasions because they basically don't allow you to defend yourself.
    Hmm, there must be other factors because where I live is pretty much the same but there is little violent crime. Maybe houses don't have anything worth stealing :(

• @Ben L. said:

You just copied what was in my tags!

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Ben L. said:

You just copied what was in my tags!

what

• @Sutherlands said:

Well, you're certainly correct in that giving guns to bad people makes you less safe.  Also, taking them away from good people makes you less safe.  And anyway, as boomzilla stated above, this has nothing to do with the gun laws.  There are many reasons for our homicide rate (which is declining), the number one factor in my mind being the "War on Drugs."  If we legalized some drugs and treated them as a health issue instead of a criminal issue, it would do oh-so-much for our country and our prison population.
    Yeah, like there aren't any drugs in Europe. And as a Dutchman, I can tell you that the half-legalised status of marijuana has led to an increase in crime, because now every man and his cousin is growing the stuff in his attic (which is illegal) and it's controlled by organised crime. Not that I think that marijuana is dangerous; certainly, less dangerous than alcohol. I still think it should be banned completely, but that's a personal opinion and I have the same stance about tobacco.

@Sutherlands said:

For statisitics and guns, you can't just say "this country has lax gun laws and much more murders than this other country."  You have to look at the effect the laws have had.  You also can't just look at "gun crime"... you have to look at all the crime.  If we got rid of all guns and completely eliminated gun murders, but our number of total murders doubled, it wasn't worth it.  So looking at the UK and Austrailia, 2 countries that basically completely banned guns... their crime rate went up. So they were each a safer country when they had guns.   Even within the US, you look at all the places that have high murder and crime rates, and they're generally places that have banned guns.
    But what is the cause, and what is the effect? Were guns banned because of high incidence rates, or is there a lot of violence because of the bans? Without any second thought, you make a link between the two, and choose cause and effect based on your personal preference. There is a connection between private gun ownership and murder rates. And no country have such a proliferation of guns as the USA does.

Also, looking through some articles and statistics to be found on the internet, I find absolutely nothing that corroborates the claim that crime rates in the UK and Australia would have consistently had higher crime rates after abolition. Im fact, one of the first articles you find is that crime has been going down in the UK over the past decade, and that it's safer that most of western Europe.

So I call BS on that.

Finally, we have all these scenarios painted out, whereby one has to defend himself and his family against all these assaillants bent on killing and/or raping them. The fact of the matter is that in the vast majroity of rapes and murders, the victim is close to the perpetrator. What's your gun going to do against your own family member?

But no amount of reasoning is going to dissuade those who have already made up their minds. No amount of figures or statistics will do either.

• @Severity One said:

@Sutherlands said:
    Well, you're certainly correct in that giving guns to bad people makes you less safe.  Also, taking them away from good people makes you less safe.  And anyway, as boomzilla stated above, this has nothing to do with the gun laws.  There are many reasons for our homicide rate (which is declining), the number one factor in my mind being the "War on Drugs."  If we legalized some drugs and treated them as a health issue instead of a criminal issue, it would do oh-so-much for our country and our prison population.
    Yeah, like there aren't any drugs in Europe. And as a Dutchman, I can tell you that the half-legalised status of marijuana has led to an increase in crime, because now every man and his cousin is growing the stuff in his attic (which is illegal) and it's controlled by organised crime. Not that I think that marijuana is dangerous; certainly, less dangerous than alcohol. I still think it should be banned completely, but that's a personal opinion and I have the same stance about tobacco.
    Ah yes, "you can't do this because I don't like it."  You must be a liberal.  (Although conservatives have been trying to do that with gay-marriage.)

So let me get this straight, your first point was "drugs being illegal in the USA aren't the problem.  We have illegal drugs in the Netherlands [not sure if that's the entirity of the Dutch] and it has caused crime."  Right... that makes sense.

I don't do drugs, I never will, and I won't let me kids do them, either.  So that being said, let's start with just marijuana.  A law keeping people from smoking something harmless, which has health benefits to cancer patients, is currently keeping 45,000 people in state and federal prisons (in the US).  This law disproportionately affects minorities and people in the inner-city.  It costs us $1B/year to incarcerate those people, not to mention the amount of money we spend on the "drug war."  It causes gangs and organized crime, because people still want to get it.  It's cheaper and more available now than it was when we criminalized everything.  (For harder drugs, those who WANT help can't get it.)  So tell me, out of all those effects of the law, which is your favorite?

@Severity One said:

But what is the cause, and what is the effect? Were guns banned because of high incidence rates, or is there a lot of violence because of the bans? Without any second thought, you make a link between the two, and choose cause and effect based on your personal preference.
    Show me one place that guns were banned because of high-incidence rates.  Every time, it's because of a knee-jerk reaction to a mass shooting.

@Severity One said:

There is a connection between private gun ownership and murder rates.

How about instead of gun ownership, we look at states that allow you to concealed carry?  States that have "shall issue" laws have 24% lower violent crime, 19% lower murder rate and 39% lower robbery rate than other states.  Guns aren't that useful if (like California or Washington DC) you can't carry them or use them. The correlation that you're trying to suggest is usually touted by those against guns as "guns increase gun homicides." Well, yes, THAT is true, but who cares? Once again, you have to look at the total homicides, and total violent crime. I'd rather have 100 homicides by gun than 200 homicides by knives, even though the second instance has a lower "gun homicide" rate.

@Severity One said:

And no country have such a proliferation of guns as the USA does.

Ok? What's your point? Switzerland REQUIRES males between 20-30 to have an actual assault rifle capable of full-auto or selective fire!  And 29% of households have a gun compared to 43% in the US.  And Switzerland has one of the lowest murder rates in the world!  Maybe guns aren't the problem, eh?

@Severity One said:

Also, looking through some articles and statistics to be found on the internet, I find absolutely nothing that corroborates the claim that crime rates in the UK and Australia would have consistently had higher crime rates after abolition.

I'm not even sure what this is trying to say, unless you're trying to argue my point.

@Severity One said:

Im fact, one of the first articles you find is that crime has been going down in the UK over the past decade, and that it's safer that most of western Europe.

First off, crime has been going down everywhere.  Crime has been dropping for 20 years in the US. The reason it was high to begin with was *gasp* drugs!  For your claim that the UK is safer than Europe, you're going to have to give me a reference.  The only things I can find say that the rate of crime is falling FASTER than that of the rest of Europe.  That's like saying a fat person is losing weight faster than a skinny person, so the fat person must be skinnier.

@Severity One said:

Finally, we have all these scenarios painted out, whereby one has to defend himself and his family against all these assaillants bent on killing and/or raping them. The fact of the matter is that in the vast majroity of rapes and murders, the victim is close to the perpetrator. What's your gun going to do against your own family member?

Shoot them?  Sounds simple to me.

@Severity One said:

But no amount of reasoning is going to dissuade those who have already made up their minds. No amount of figures or statistics will do either.

You're right.  Let me know how when that drug war works out.

• morbiuswilters wrote the following post at Tue, May 7 2013 8:28 PM:  

@morbiuswilters said:

@MiffTheFox said:
    @Circuitsoft said:
    I hate community server. The entire rest of the world has standardized on BBCode.
    Well until Markdown came along that is...
    In software "The entire rest of the world has standardized on.." means "The time is ripe to shove out some half-baked, trendy alternative which will become very popular on, I dunno, reddit or whatever, and then which will spread like a cancer until it suffocates any sensible alternative at which point it becomes what the entire rest of the world has standardized on.."

Well yes! In this old thread, buried under a useless discussion about 0-based versus 1-based indexing (which itself was buried under a boring discussion about gun-laws) i found the culprit who originally gave that unholy Alex+Jeff demon couple the diabolical idea we prefer to call dicksource!

Admit, morbiuswilters, admit!

• FoxDev

@jamesn1 said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

You know what really grinds my gears about Iron Man 3?
    Jarvis: "Sir, the Oracle cloud has completed your computations"

Let's be honest: did this come as a surprise to anyone, given Iron Man 2 had a huge glass dome with ORACLE written on the side in 30ft letters?

Filed under: INB4 Goddammit @fbmac!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@RaceProUK You got :hanzo: by nearly 4 years.

• Java Dev

@RaceProUK I'm pretty sure all the iron man and avengers movies had oracle product placements.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• BINNED

@morbiuswilters said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

If anyone reading this is creating a new language, please do not have arrays start at zero. And do we even need any new languages?

Ada allows custom index ranges for arrays, so they don't have to start at zero unless you want them to. :trollface:

@boomzilla said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

What's really inexcusable is when someone puts months into an enumeration and January is zero.

Ada will also allow you to use the enumeration as the array index. :trollface:

@dkf said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Ada and (I think) ALGOL 68 can do that.

Y

• FoxDev

@antiquarian said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Ada allows custom index ranges for arrays, so they don't have to start at zero unless you want them to.

i want them to only have prime number indicies.

then prime numebr tests become simple. "is the number a valid index in this array? No? Not a prime. Yes? guaranteed a Prime"

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

How about next week's lottery numbers?

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

@accalia said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

How about next week's lottery numbers?

oooh..... i like the idea, btut hat does get tricky..... the valid indices change each week......

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia If you pick the right week one week is enough.

• @boomzilla said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Most of the posts on this forum could be better described as performance art than discussion

This advice is as relevant today as it was back then.

Also, it was nice to relive the sparring match between Lucas and Morbs. It's kind of like seeing a fantasy football team actually exist.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@loopback0 said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

@RaceProUK You got :hanzo: by nearly 4 years.

Even worse:

@Ben-L. said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

@morbiuswilters said:

@Cassidy said:
    Nerd joke

Necrophilia joke

Ninja joke

You got necro-ninja'd by a ninja-necro joke.

@Lorne-Kates YO DAWG...

• @antiquarian said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Ada allows custom index ranges for arrays

So do the vast majority of modern languages. Just make your own Array or List class.

So really, just make it 0-indexed and include a OneIndexedList in your library. Problem solved.

C# actually has custom indexed arrays built in. Yes, really:

lowerBounds

• Type: System.Int32[]
    • A one-dimensional array that contains the lower bound (starting index) of each dimension of the Array to create.

• Personally if I made a programming language, I'd make arrays 29-indexed, and the default string encoding UTF-EBCDIC. This way, there are no subtle bugs. Either you do it right, or it doesn't work at all.

• BINNED

@anonymous234 said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Personally if I made a programming language, I'd make arrays 29-indexed, and the default string encoding UTF-EBCDIC.

The evil ideas thread is :arrows: .

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@asdf Wow, DiscoBBQuoting made my post even better.

Edit: And fuck you, NodeBB, for the reproducible, constant jellypotato on mobile after replying to one of the first posts in a thread or clicking the "go to last post" button. This is way worse than on DickHorse.

This way, there are no subtle bugs. Either you do it right, or it doesn't work at all.

I've seen that suggested by others. Indeed, I've seen a variant on it offered as expert evidence in court.

It is incredibly wrong.

• @dkf said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Indeed, I've seen a variant on it offered as expert evidence in court.

What court decides the quality of computer standards? I want in!

• area_can

• FoxDev

Should array indices start at 0 or 1?

0, obviously.

@bb36e

All array indices should start and end at 1.

What court decides the quality of computer standards? I want in!

This was from a long time ago, but apparently it was a real statement made by an employee of a bank (in relation to wether a computer bug could have caused funds to be wrongly transferred/disbursed from a cash machine). Apparently, the nitwit said something along the lines that bugs were impossible because they programmed everything in machine code; any mistakes would make the program crash, so no crashes meant that everything had to be correct.

I've known that both computing and banking are totally fucked as industries for a very long time.

@bb36e said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Should array indices start at 0 or 1?

(0 | 1) == 1

:(

• Should array indices start at 0 or 1?

1. .. or 1... Hmm... I'm gonna go with...

• @dkf said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

Apparently, the nitwit said something along the lines that bugs were impossible because they programmed everything in machine code; any mistakes would make the program crash, so no crashes meant that everything had to be correct.

Well that's just bullshit.

I've known that both computing and banking are totally fucked as industries for a very long time.

Ideally, the trial should have gone something like:

Judge: "Clearly this is critical software, so it must have been written according to strict standards, passed extensive quality testing, and keep a log of all events. Is that correct?"
    Prosecution: "Your honor, to be honest, we just kinda threw it together in two weeks."
    Judge: "In that case, I declare the entire banking industry unfit for handling anyone's money. Case dismissed."

• This post is deleted!

• kills Dumbledore

@loopback0 said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

@bb36e

All array indices should start and end at 1.

No, no no. They should start at 1 and end at 0

@Jaloopa said in Iron Man is now powered by Oracle:

No, no no. They should start at 1 and end at 0

And depending on array size, you change the factor ring used for indices?

Brillant!