THE BAD IDEAS THREAD

• @El_Heffe said:

The best part is he's still twittering.  Last one was an hour ago. Appears to be bar-hopping and may not even know he's been fired.

"people who should be fire from paypal Don Christmas a pool a kick"

...the pig is grunt? foot in?

This cannot be the product of a person typing things on a screen. Such a person would not be able to dress himself.

• @dhromed said:

@El_Heffe said:

The best part is he's still twittering.  Last one was an hour ago. Appears to be bar-hopping and may not even know he's been fired.

This cannot be the product of a person typing things on a screen. Such a person would not be able to dress himself.

And yet, apparently, they can be "Director of Global Strategy" at PayPal.

•  This is the point where I worry about everything and anything.

• New tweet today.  Now he's claiming that he wasn't fired, he"quit" right before engaging in his bar-hopping drunken twittering.

Anyone looking for a job? One just opened up and apparently the standards are pretty low.

• Considered Harmful

@Ben L. said:

G+ and Imgur deny that this is an image. OneDrive says it's 17 pixels tall. What am I supposed to do?
    Whatever that is, it completely fucked IE on XBox One. (Black screen, stopped responding to user input.)

• @joe.edwards said:

@Ben L. said:
    G+ and Imgur deny that this is an image. OneDrive says it's 17 pixels tall. What am I supposed to do?
    Whatever that is, it completely fucked IE on XBox One. (Black screen, stopped responding to user input.)

I don't know, I'm tempted to delete it because Ben apparently thinks people are fucking mind readers or that there's a single person who wants to spend time trying to unravel what he is trying to say. Also, if it does what you say then it would seem to be malicious and I hope Ben would be smart enough not to post links to malicious images here.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Ben L. said:

I don't know, I'm tempted to delete it because Ben apparently thinks people are fucking mind readers or that there's a single person who wants to spend time trying to unravel what he is trying to say. Also, if it does what you say then it would seem to be malicious and I hope Ben would be smart enough not to post links to malicious images here.

If you download the image, it's a 617 x 82,626 PNG file of more Dwarf Fortress gibberish, which apparently chokes web browsers (Firefox says:  0px × 0px (scaled to 4px × 662px).

Not malicious, just stupid.

• @El_Heffe said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@joe.edwards said:
    @Ben L. said:

If you download the image, it's a 617 x 82,626 PNG file of more Dwarf Fortress gibberish, which apparently chokes web browsers (Firefox says:  0px × 0px (scaled to 4px × 662px).

Not malicious, just stupid.

Works for me. I assumed that every browser could display an image that is less than a megabyte quite easily. Chrome does it without problems.

• I found the source of the problem

• @El_Heffe said:

I found the source of the problem

I'm pretty sure Dwarf Fortress was made by the Adams family.

• @Ben L. said:

Works for me. I assumed that every browser could display an image that is less than a megabyte quite easily. Chrome does it without problems.

Lies! It doesn't display for me at all.

• @Ben L. said:

82,626 is more than 2^16 which may be the (dumb) cause of the problem.

Someone go test this.

I'm too lazy.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

82,626 is more than 2^16 which may be the (dumb) cause of the problem.

Firefox displays something, but it's not the image

Internet Explorer 10 displays the image without problem

ACDSee (an image viewer with some basic image manipulation functions, that was written somewhere around 1999) displays the image just fine.

• FFX says "Image corrupt or truncated" in the console.

I'm going to trust it, while saying that other viewers are probably more tolerant of crap images.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

FFX says "Image corrupt or truncated" in the console.

I'm going to trust it, while saying that other viewers are probably more tolerant of crap images.

I think your previous 16-bit guess was more accurate.

• @dhromed said:

@El_Heffe said:

https://twitter.com/rakeshlobster/status/463153299881881600
    jjjjj 999 I'm k nokkkkkiikkknokkkkkiikkkkkkjj nmo88iok99okkoolooolo
    https://twitter.com/rakeshlobster/status/463265801332482048

For obvious reasons I am not doing live TV in the next couple of days.

• Sweden

A fire in a warehouse on the east coast of Sweden caused cans of fermented fish to explode and go flying through the air, according to local media.  The building went up in flames with 1,000 tins of surstromming inside. The Swedish delicacy is reputedly one of the world's most foul-smelling foods.

• The Ballad of Rocky Lobster

@El_Heffe said:

@morbiuswilters said:

@El_Heffe said:
    Insult your co-workers, including your company's vice president of global communications, on Twitter.

I love that he blamed it on Android. I would have gone with the "Someone stole my phone at the bar" gambit. "They must have found the names in my contacts and decided to do that as a prank. Kids these days, I dunno.."

This is hilariously entertaining, in a train-wreck sort of way.

https://twitter.com/rakeshlobster/status/463367020256718848

Cranking out 30-40 tweets per hour, none of them make any sense. Has left New Orleans and is now in New York City.  Claims to have grand business plans and is looking to hire people for his "company".

• @El_Heffe said:

Cranking out 30-40 tweets per hour, none of them make any sense. Has left New Orleans and is now in New York City.  Claims to have grand business plans and is looking to hire people for his "company".

Holy Shit. Maybe he's got a brain tumor or something. Duck.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@El_Heffe said:

Twitter is really good at sorting posts by timestamp.

• @Ben L. said:

At least he has his health..

• Considered Harmful

@morbiuswilters said:

@El_Heffe said:

I imagine him drunkenly slurring into his dictation app. I willth rleth thith marketh! No. Rye, ruleth.

• @joe.edwards said:

I imagine him drunkenly slurring into his dictation app. I willth rleth thith marketh! No. Rye, ruleth.

Apparently he's either worth $200 million, or he's really, really insane.

• @Ben L. said:

The latest iteration of the twitter profile page allows you to pin tweets to the top of the page. He is using this as IM/DM for someone named "jack", I think.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

The latest iteration of the twitter profile page allows you to pin tweets to the top of the page. He is using this as IM/DM for someone named "jack", I think.

Making DMs public is what got him into this mess in the first place.

• @dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

Oh dear, he's coming down from the manic episode.. https://twitter.com/rakeshlobster/status/463583792159268864

• @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

@Ben L. said:

Oh dear, he's coming down from the manic episode.. https://twitter.com/rakeshlobster/status/463583792159268864

Here's Paypal's take. What's interesting is that page had a lot of negative comments from people who were rightfully pointing out that firing a guy over Twitter and then making a passive-aggressive blog post about the whole incident after he has a mental breakdown was pretty shitty. But somebody at Paypal has been deleting negative comments from that page.

All I can say is: great job, guys!

• Last post tonight, I promise, but another thing to consider: PayPal's little stunt might have opened them to civil liability. Firing an abusive employee isn't illegal, of course, but if he really is having a mental health issue or even a drug/alcohol issue, firing him might not go over well. Especially the way they handled it, by publicly humiliating him.

They better hope he doesn't kill himself or they're going to have a big problem on their hand.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

They better hope he doesn't kill himself or they're going to have a big problem on their hand.

They'll just say they had concerns that he might be a threat to public safety, confirm that they believe they took the correct course of action to protect public safety, and they'll be fine.

Driving someone to suicide isn't that big of a deal anymore.

ps: I can't actually say, but I'm sure that if you looked hard enough on Twitter, you'd find very interesting tweets that talk about this guy and terrorism in the same conversation. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions, but you have to admit it's interesting that's what people are talking about. And the guy still hasn't denied those terrorism accusations. Do you really want to risk the safety of a major financial institution by letting someone who may be a known terrorist work there? Just imagine the amount of money that could be siphoned out of the hard-working American's PayPal account and used to illegally fund terrorist activity.

Is that the sort of person you support, Morbs? How can you support someone like this, and still call yourself a loyal American?

• @morbiuswilters said:

Last post tonight, I promise, but another thing to consider: PayPal's little stunt might have opened them to civil liability. Firing an abusive employee isn't illegal, of course, but if he really is having a mental health issue or even a drug/alcohol issue, firing him might not go over well. Especially the way they handled it, by publicly humiliating him.

There seems to be some disagreement over what actually happened. Rocky Lobster claims that he quit, right before leaving for New Orleans and going on his bar-hopping Twitter rampage. Of couse the fact that it's been 4 days now, and he's still spewing 30 non-sequiturs per hour, would seem to cast a little bit of doubt on everything he says. A lot of his twitters seem like he's getting text messages but replying to them on Twitter.

Loren Feldman
    @ 1938loren

</div>
        </div>

We will learn very clearly today that twitter is not a substitute for lithium.</blockquote><p>&nbsp;</p>

• @Lorne Kates said:

I can't actually say, but I'm sure that if you looked hard enough on Twitter, you'd find very interesting tweets that talk about this guy and terrorism in the same conversation. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions, but you have to admit it's interesting that's what people are talking about. And the guy still hasn't denied those terrorism accusations.
    This guy?

• @Lorne Kates said:

They'll just say they had concerns that he might be a threat to public safety, confirm that they believe they took the correct course of action to protect public safety, and they'll be fine.

Shaky ground. They'd have to show they thought he was a threat, and then there'd be the "If you thought he was a threat, why didn't you contact the police?"

@Lorne Kates said:

ps: I can't actually say, but I'm sure that if you looked hard enough on Twitter, you'd find very interesting tweets that talk about this guy and terrorism in the same conversation. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions, but you have to admit it's interesting that's what people are talking about. And the guy still hasn't denied those terrorism accusations. Do you really want to risk the safety of a major financial institution by letting someone who may be a known terrorist work there? Just imagine the amount of money that could be siphoned out of the hard-working American's PayPal account and used to illegally fund terrorist activity.

Is that the sort of person you support, Morbs? How can you support someone like this, and still call yourself a loyal American?

Where did that come from?

• @El_Heffe said:

@Lorne Kates said:

I can't actually say, but I'm sure that if you looked hard enough on Twitter, you'd find very interesting tweets that talk about this guy and terrorism in the same conversation. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions, but you have to admit it's interesting that's what people are talking about. And the guy still hasn't denied those terrorism accusations.
    This guy?

Secure all the Dunkin' Donuts! Ground all the food trucks!

• @El_Heffe said:

Rocky Lobster claims that he quit,

Yeah, bullshit. Hell, his Twitter profile still says he works at PayPal. Doesn't exactly sound like someone who quit.

• @Rocky Lobster said:

My apologies for all of the weirdness over last few days. I was doing a lot of things that made sense in my head.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:

Shaky ground. They'd have to show they thought he was a threat, and then there'd be the "If you thought he was a threat, why didn't you contact the police?"

You don't need laws when you're dealing with countering a terrorist plot. I suppose you'd rather wait until they blow up a schoolbus first, right?

@morbiuswilters said:

Where did that come from?

Hey, I am not accusing him of anything. I'm just asking questions.

• @El_Heffe said:

@Rocky Lobster said:
    My apologies for all of the weirdness over last few days. I was doing a lot of things that made sense in my head.

Like peyote?

• @Lorne Kates said:

You don't need laws when you're dealing with countering a terrorist plot. I suppose you'd rather wait until they blow up a schoolbus first, right?
    @Lorne Kates said:
    Hey, I am not accusing him of anything. I'm just asking questions.

Lorne, are you having a public meltdown, too?

• @morbiuswilters said:

@Lorne Kates said:
    @Lorne Kates said:
    Hey, *I* am not accusing him of anything. I'm just asking questions.

Lorne, are you having a public meltdown, too?

Nah, he's just Canadian.

• After 4 days of insane twittering, now he's upset that TV shows won't have him on any more

@Rocky Lobster said:

I am the one that is damaged here. Meeting are being canceled left and right. TV networks that used to have me on air regularly won't.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@El_Heffe said:

After 4 days of insane twittering, now he's upset that TV shows won't have him on any more

@Rocky Lobster said:

I am the one that is damaged here. Meeting are being canceled left and right. TV networks that used to have me on air regularly won't.

Which TV networks? I demand he call them out by name and insult them!

• @El_Heffe said:

After 4 days of insane twittering, now he's upset that TV shows won't have him on any more

@Rocky Lobster said:

Wow, he even got a reply from Carl Icahn!

Oh, wait..

• @morbiuswilters said:

@El_Heffe said:

@Rocky Lobster said:

Wow, he even got a reply from Carl Icahn!

Oh, wait..

That one fooled me for a minute, too.  Although, Fake Carl did have some good comments. [quote user="@rakeshlobster"]I've come up with a new idea and have built a great team with some of the people i consider the best in the business.[/quote]@Fake Carl Icahn said:
    1) newer than the idea you had a couple of days ago? 2) best in the business = the lady who you hired because she found you?
    @Fake Carl Icahn said:
    think this guy would be a better fit for your future TV appearances -> CC: @jerryspringer

• This:

• @morbiuswilters said:

This:

Wait, did the Obama sisters get abducted?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Ben L. said:

@morbiuswilters said:
    This:

No, but if He had more daughters, they might look like the girls being sold into slavery in the name of the religion of peace.

• @boomzilla said:

@Ben L. said:
    @morbiuswilters said:
    This:

No, but if He had more daughters, they might look like the girls being sold into slavery in the name of the religion of peace.

So much for Elves being the race of peace.

• @boomzilla said:

And they wouldn't be allowed to play for the WNFL (or whatever-the-hell it is.)

I wonder if anyone thought "We should have Bill Clinton join the #BringBackOurGirls Twitter activism", because that would be fucking awesome.

•  Still not sure if it's a Good Idea or a Bad Idea, but it suddenly hit me yesterday that, if Android is basically just Unix, there ought to be a port of emacs for my phone.

Damned if there wasn't one, although the comments say there's a problem with certain keyboards and a lot of people are getting a segfault starting it up.

But there *is* an emacs port for Android!  That's the kind of discovery you don't get over in a hurry.

• @da Doctah said:

Still not sure if it's a Good Idea or a Bad Idea, but it suddenly hit me yesterday that, if Android is basically just Unix, there ought to be a port of emacs for my phone.

Damned if there wasn't one, although the comments say there's a problem with certain keyboards and a lot of people are getting a segfault starting it up.

But there is an emacs port for Android!  That's the kind of discovery you don't get over in a hurry.

How the fuck would that work? Android keyboards don't have enough modifier keys.