Date wtf again

• I was reviewing the codebase trying to find why one of the servers was vomiting errors with perfectly valid data and came across another moron reinventing Date, because something as commom as this has never been done before... right? What the fuck possess people to time and time again do this, do they have a retarded switch that lights on every time they have to calculate a time span and instead of using whatever is in the fucking library write your own code which of course will be wrong and retarded and not take into account leap years. Can we invent a program that will slap a coder every time it tries to do something stupid? I think I have some servos around so I can build a rustic mechanic hand, now I only have to convince management to make it standard issue and then ... Profit!!!

On other news I found why the server is not working as intended, the "software" (and I'm being generous calling it that instead of pile of stinking smurf pre-cum) specs do not match the documentation. I talked about this with my boss and his response was: "Oh, the software was never finished so some of the options don't even work... but it was really cheap"

Sight... at least they say they are changing it but the company that is writing it (and for all I know been writing it for at least 5 years) is the lowest bidder, so is going to be really cheap... again

• @serguey123 said:

another moron reinventing Date...What the fuck possess people to time and time again do this

There are reasons to do it as there are all of the little oddities with different formats that can make it a good learning exersise for an intern or someone else starting out.  Course at most you make them use their broken date in a small internal project to show them why this is a dumb thing to do, not then use it in a significant actual product (but it has to be a big enough project to show them why it's a bad idea to invent dates or they will use it on something that actually matters).

• Yeah, if you are a student, or an intern learning the ropes, then reinventing the wheel is ok for learning purposes. But in production code? With grave monetary consecuences, potencially embarrasing and liable if our customers get wind of it? It should be a fireable offense or at least a demotion. In my next free time I'll try to check what else has this "individual" been checking into the main and sisters systems. The thing is, I have seen this type of behavior a lot in some developers. They start coding without realizing that this has been done before and that no matter how "Awesome" or leet that person is they should use what is already made 99.99% of the time.

• Is there a reason for making one's own date data type? No, there probably is not. However, I will say that many of the .NET GUI controls related to date entry are utter garbage. They're too complex for dimwitted users, and they have no provision for null data. So, I do have my own reinvent-the-wheel .NET date control.

• @bridget99 said:

So, I do have my own reinvent-the-wheel .NET date control.

Wow, I want to see this WTF in action.

• @blakeyrat said:

@bridget99 said:

As do I, though I do believe that sometimes you have to make your own due to what customers are demanding.  Had to do one years back because having a textbox to type a date in with a little calendar picture next to it that would show a calendar (with click a date to fill that in the textbox) was too complicated for people to use.

• @locallunatic said:

@blakeyrat said:

@bridget99 said:

As do I, though I do believe that sometimes you have to make your own due to what customers are demanding.  Had to do one years back because having a textbox to type a date in with a little calendar picture next to it that would show a calendar (with click a date to fill that in the textbox) was too complicated for people to use.

That sounds really similar to what I'm doing. The basic issues are 1) the WinForms DateTimePicker has no support for nulls, and 2) it's more complicated and graphical than our users want anyway. They just want something they can either type a date into or leave blank as appropriate. What I developed is basically a text box, except that it exposes a "value" property that's a Nullable(of DateTime). It also has some date-specific input masking, and can intelligently deal with things like entering 07-04-1776 versus 7/4/1776, etc.

If this is a WTF, then .NET's DateTimePicker is a crime against nature.

• @bridget99 said:

07-04-1776 versus 7/4/1776

I was not aware that February 2007 had 1776 days.

• @Ben L. said:

@bridget99 said:

OK, what format are you attempting to pretend to see?  It kinda sounds like YY-XX-DDDD where XX is MM+2, but that is more crazy than your normal level.

• @Ben L. said:

@bridget99 said:

That's July 4th, 1776, anno domini. If there's some place on earth where end users expect to be able to type in the day of the year (1...365), well, I'm glad I don't work there. My NullableDateTimePicker doesn't support that.

• @locallunatic said:

@Ben L. said:

@bridget99 said:
    I was not aware that the 17th month of 704 had 76 days.

OK, what format are you attempting to pretend to see?  It kinda sounds like YY-XX-DDDD where XX is MM+2, but that is more crazy than your normal level.

FTFM