Re-visit the horror that is Half-Life 1's third party remake!

• It's probably old news by now, but there's this Half-Life 2 mod called Black Mesa that is a remake of the original Half-Life.

First WTF: try clicking on links on that page. With your computer's sound turned on.

So I downloaded the giant (3.4GB) 7z file and extracted it into my wine-steam installation's sourcemods folder. The Black Mesa team is REALLY REALLY GOOD at knowing what compression is and how it works:

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
    ------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
    2012-09-14 14:30:03 ....A   3298098513   3342627685  BlackMesa/BlackMesa.7z
    2012-09-14 13:55:01 ....A       827720       687962  BlackMesa/BlackMesa-Setup.exe
    2012-09-14 13:55:01 ....A          101               BlackMesa/BlackMesa.md5
    2012-09-14 13:48:51 D....            0            0  BlackMesa
    ------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
                                3298926334   3343315647  3 files, 1 folders

Second WTF: Yep, they "compressed" a 7z file inside another 7z file. Oh look, they also have a 101 byte MD5 and an exe that's completely useless! How wonderful! That's totally worth having a 3.4GB download instead of a 3.2GB download and requiring me to extract it twice instead of just once.

Fun fact: The 7z format has built in checksums.

• That bullshit took up a Steam Greenlight slot. I hate Black Mesa with a passion. Fucking wankers.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Um wasn't there already a remake of HL1 called Half Life: Source?

• @joe.edwards said:

• @blakeyrat said:

That bullshit took up a Steam Greenlight slot. I hate Black Mesa with a passion. Fucking wankers.

I've decided not to take your hatred of anything seriously until I have a baseline of something you like for comparison.

• @Ben L. said:

@joe.edwards said:

So is Black Mesa a fourth party remake?

• @Master Chief said:

@blakeyrat said:
    That bullshit took up a Steam Greenlight slot. I hate Black Mesa with a passion. Fucking wankers.

I've decided not to take your hatred of anything seriously until I have a baseline of something you like for comparison.

There are quite a few games that I actually like!

•  3.4GB file giant? Heh

• @pbean said:

3.4GB file giant? Heh

I'll admit to have stopped caring about video games over a decade ago, but 3.4gb still seems pretty big for a mod, dontcha think?

• @Ben L. said:

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name

2012-09-14 14:30:03 ....A 3298098513 3342627685 BlackMesa/BlackMesa.7z
    2012-09-14 13:55:01 ....A 827720 687962 BlackMesa/BlackMesa-Setup.exe
    2012-09-14 13:55:01 ....A 101 BlackMesa/BlackMesa.md5
    2012-09-14 13:48:51 D.... 0 0 BlackMesa

3298926334   3343315647  3 files, 1 folders

TRWTF is that 7zip uses up 44 megabytes to store about 65 bytes of information (64 bytes for the checksum, plus the fact that BlackMesa.7z doesn't compress, rounded up to the nearest byte).

• @Ben L. said:

First WTF: try clicking on links on that page. With your computer's sound turned on.
    I hate it when people do that. "Go stick a paperclip into that socket. Go on. It's gonna be really funny." Yeah, right. Like I'm going to fall for that one... again... after the first seven times.

• Yeah! If 7z was any good, it would consistently compress any input to maybe 90% of original size, so if you just ran it enough times you could ship that 3.4GB monster on an 8 way DIP switch.

I'm sure ordinary Zip compression can do this, since I've quite often seen zipped zipped zip files that were smaller than the zipped zip files inside them.

• @Planar said:

TRWTF is that 7zip uses up 44 megabytes to store about 65 bytes of information
    That really isn't how compression algorithms work you know. If you want to 'store only' a file you have to tell the compression utility to not compress that file. Running a compression algorithm over data already compressed with that algorithm generally results in larger files.

• @PJH said:

@Planar said:
    That really isn't how compression algorithms work you know. If you want to 'store only' a file you have to tell the compression utility to not compress that file. Running a compression algorithm over data already compressed with that algorithm generally results in larger files.

My favorite was when I had some junior sysadmin who was writing scripts to backup files. The files needed to be put into an archive, compressed and encrypted so they could be uploaded off-site. Guess which order he did it in? He was quite confused when his bz2 files ended up larger than the originals..

• @Ben L. said:

@Master Chief said:
    @blakeyrat said:

There are quite a few games that I actually like!
    Is one of them impersonating blakeyrat?

• @PJH said:

@Planar said:

Compression programs, OTOH, often support more than one algorithm; 7zip supports quite a few. It would not be unreasonable for the default behaviour when adding a file which matches the program's own magic header to be to use the null "compression" algorithm.

• @dhromed said:

@Zecc said:

one of these days I really should start playing Portal 2

Nah, you don't.

Well I paid for it, I might as well. Or is it that bad?

•  TRWTF is that 7-zip doesn't fall back to "store" when it detects it actually expanded what it was attempting to compress. Does it even attempt to perform such detection?

• @Medinoc said:

TRWTF is that 7-zip doesn't fall back to "store" when it detects it actually expanded what it was attempting to compress. Does it even attempt to perform such detection?

I don't think any of the mainstream compressors attempt any automatic detection on the files they're compressing with a view to deciding whether or not to compress them - the onus is usually placed on the user of the utility.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.