So, you are a PHP developer.... are you gay?

• Looking for job on the Web, I found this position available:

(http://www.computrabajo.com.mx<wbr>/bt-ofrd-juncov-12312.htm )

It's in spanish, so I'll try to translate as accurate as posible:

----- Position: Gay PHP Developer -----
    "IMPORTANT YOU MUST BE GAY (because the project's focus is on that sector of
    the population and it is important that you know the environment). You must
    have absolute knowledge of PHP programming and Web design knowledge. This
    project is in partnership, if you are interested, please call to make an
    appointment. It is necessary that you work in our office."
    ------------------------------------------

WTF?

I can't imagine what the job interview for this position would be like... To
    me it's very clear that this is a violation of working rights. What exactly
    is the difference between a PHP Developer and a GAY PHP Developer? The
    former can't design or understand "gay" requirements? WTF?

Maybe, this "Job" offering has a VERY different idea of
    "development" "environment" (also translated to "ambience") "partnership"
    "appointment" or even "office" than the actual meaning of the words.

I'm not a PHP developer anyways...  :P

Mike Rod

PS: I checked the link today and the offering was removed... no comments on
    that, just watch the screenshot:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flash_mx/detail?.dir=d5f3re2&.dnm=ab31re2.jpg&.src=ph

• @Mike Rod said:

Damn, and you were half way there. ;)

*ducks and runs*

• @smbell said:

@Mike Rod said:

Damn, and you were half way there. ;)

*ducks and runs*

LOL..... I should have used the new <joke> tags!!

Anyway, you got the joke

Mike Rod

• It'd be a bit embarassing if they hired some ignorant straight guy for the job, and he ended up creating page after page with pink backrounds, covered in rainbows, and typed with a lisp.

• @merreborn said:

It'd be a bit embarassing if they hired some ignorant straight guy for the job, and he ended up creating page after page with pink backrounds, covered in rainbows, and typed with a lisp.

How do you type with a lithp?

• @marvin_rabbit said:

How do you type with a lithp?

(speak (lisp ('like 'this)))

• Damn, and I am a gay PHP developer, too.

Curses!

• It sounds more like a personal ad then a job offer!

• Just imagine the backlash there'd be against such an advert if it specified the opposite - that you must be straight, not gay. It's fine to discriminate against the majority, but not the minority?

Forget gay rights, women's rights, ethnic minority rights, how about us poor, straight, employeed white guys that are getting screwed over by all of the "political correctness" BS.

• @RayS said:

Just imagine the backlash there'd be against such an advert if it specified the opposite - that you must be straight, not gay. It's fine to discriminate against the majority, but not the minority?

Forget gay rights, women's rights, ethnic minority rights, how about us poor, straight, employeed white guys that are getting screwed over by all of the "political correctness" BS.

Your confusion is doubleplus ungood.  This isn't "Reverse descrimination", it's "Affirmative Action".

See?   Everything sounds doubleplus good in newspeak!

• @RayS said:

Oh, you poor, straight, employed, white guys. You have had it so bad compared to the rest. Would it help if I cried you a river, honey?

• Wow, I didn't even know he was a PHP developer... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• @neven said:

@RayS said:

Oh, you poor, straight, employed, white guys. You have had it so bad compared to the rest. Would it help if I cried you a river, honey?

Not really. It's still preferable to being in a group that can only survive through government mandated charity handouts and sympathy money/jobs/other handouts.

Can't be nice wondering if you only got that PHP coding job because you're gay rather than being any good at it!

• This company is breaking EU law. There is an across the board equality act preventing companies from descriminating on the grounds of sexual identity.

• okay are you sure they didn't mean happy?

beacuse gay means happy and happy means gay :D

P.S No mom, I'm really not...

• @wing said:

This company is breaking EU law. There is an across the board equality act preventing companies from descriminating on the grounds of sexual identity.

You're assuming that 'gay' as used here means homosexual.

These guys are trying to word this ad in such a way as to not get sued, but they're screwed either way. Imagine the furore if they had said "YOU MUST BE LAME" or "YOU MUST BE PATHETIC"....

• @RayS said:

Can't be nice wondering if you only got that PHP coding job because you're gay rather than being any good at it!

Hehe.

-- you just hired me because I'm gay
    -- I did
    -- are you gay?
    -- I am
    -- I see. Wanna date?
    -- sure!

• @Some Idiot said:

@wing said:

This company is breaking EU law. There is an across the board equality act preventing companies from descriminating on the grounds of sexual identity.

These guys are trying to word this ad in such a way as to not get sued, but they're screwed either way. Imagine the furore if they had said "YOU MUST BE LAME" or "YOU MUST BE PATHETIC"....

"YOU MUST BE CHIPPER"

"YOU MUST BE PRETTY, AND WITTY, AND BRIIIGHT"

• @dhromed said:

@Some Idiot said:

@wing said:

"YOU MUST BE CHIPPER"

As a follower of a religion demanding grumpiness and a sour-faced outlook on the world, I find this new policy to be the worst form of discrimination.

I demand people of all dispositions be given equal access to jobs!

• There are straight PHP developers?

• @RayS said:

@dhromed said:
    @Some Idiot said:

@wing said:

"YOU MUST BE CHIPPER"

As a follower of a religion demanding grumpiness and a sour-faced outlook on the world, I find this new policy to be the worst form of discrimination.

I demand people of all dispositions be given equal access to jobs!

There do exists a religion for everyone these days

And BTW, the ad... sorry, the position... sorry, the work offering...
    It was offered to a gay person, gay as in homosexual, gay as in _ ____ ____ ___, gay as in...
    [auto-censored so this post is not deleted by a moderator]

Mike Rod

• How about "MUST BE BRILLANT" - what kind of job would that be?!

• "Hi, my name is Paula, and I saw your ad in the paper, ..."