Sure, I'll agree to this EULA....

• When printed, it wasn't any better, either.

• .NET 2.0 - You do realize that was originally released 8 years ago? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework#History

Also....wait....is that a Mac? Installing the Windows software framework? From 8 years ago?

I'm all confused now.<br/

notsureiftrolling.jpg

• Yeah call me crazy but I think installing an ancient .NET version on a OS it never was ported to isn't exactly a well-supported operation.

Why don't we all post WTFs like this? "Hey guys I just tried to install Office 2013 on my Commodore 64 and LOOK it doesn't even fit into the 5.25" drive! Hahaha."

• @blakeyrat said:

Yeah call me crazy but I think installing an ancient .NET version on a OS it never was ported to isn't exactly a well-supported operation.

Why don't we all post WTFs like this? "Hey guys I just tried to install Office 2013 on my Commodore 64 and LOOK it doesn't even fit into the 5.25" drive! Hahaha."

LOL, hey guys, I tried installing Minecraft on my Atari Jaguar and---I'll be goddamned, it worked.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

.NET 2.0 - You do realize that was originally released 8 years ago? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework#History

Also....wait....is that a Mac? Installing the Windows software framework? From 8 years ago?

I'm all confused now.

notsureiftrolling.jpg

given that everything except the window handle is rendered in classic windows common controls, I'd guess it's an old win machine for some reason running some of the re-skinning utilities?

• @SEMI-HYBRID code said:

given that everything except the window handle is rendered in classic windows common controls, I'd guess it's an old win machine for some reason running some of the re-skinning utilities?

Or parallels or something.

• It's the control software for a GPS, running the installer under WINE on OSX.

• @realmerlyn said:

WINE

Hay guise, I think I found the WTF!

Seriously, you're blaming Microsoft because an 8 year old version of .NET doesn't install correctly under a bullshit clone of Windows that can't run 90% of software correctly? What, do you pour water in your gas tank and then tell the mechanic "Herp de derp, Ford really sucks at making cars!"

• @morbiuswilters said:

@realmerlyn said:
    WINE

Hay guise, I think I found the WTF!

Seriously, you're blaming Microsoft because an 8 year old version of .NET doesn't install correctly under a bullshit clone of Windows that can't run 90% of software correctly? What, do you pour water in your gas tank and then tell the mechanic "Herp de derp, Ford really sucks at making cars!"

That makes it a wine wtf and not a Microsoft wtf. The op screenshot is typical for wine installers, ime.

• @realmerlyn said:

It's the control software for a GPS, running the installer under WINE on OSX.

Oh well in that case, the operation is obviously 100% supported and not at all stupid, so carry-on.

• @Zemm said:

That makes it a wine wtf and not a Microsoft wtf. The op screenshot is typical for wine installers, ime.

The problem with your reasoning is that WINE is one huge WTF. I'd be more shocked if somebody posted a screenshot of a program running perfectly in WINE.

• I wished that was a real MS WTF for a bit, that'd be them getting back at Apple for iTunes and QuickTime not looking like native Windows apps.

•  Uh-huh. Except Minecraft now requires 64bit Java to run.

• @garrywong said:

Uh-huh. Except Minecraft now requires 64bit Java to run.

Good thing the Jaguar had a 64-bit architecture, or else it would have trouble rendering those 17 polygons and 3 textures.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@garrywong said:

Good thing the Jaguar had a 64-bit architecture, or else it would have trouble rendering those 17four to several polygons and 31 textures.

• @morbiuswilters said:

@garrywong said:

Good thing the Jaguar had a 64-bit architecture, or else it would have trouble rendering those 17 polygons and 3 textures.

Actually it requires a 64-bit architecture because it requires > 4 GB of RAM... about 2048 times more then the Jaguar has...

• @MiffTheFox said:

@garrywong said:

Actually it requires a 64-bit architecture because it requires > 4 GB of RAM... about 2048 times more then the Jaguar has...

...Minecraft has no such requirements.

That is to say, technically it has no such requirements, but in practical terms, I need to put my CPU in full-on mode* if I want to play it fullscreen (windowed) with any satisfying framerate.

32- versus 64-bit java does not appear to grant any performance benefits. I haven't compared framerates, but the difference is insignificant, if any.

) usually run in in powersave mode where it's clocked down to 800MHz. The constant multiplier scaling is killing performance and I can't play it like that.

) Not the case for games that truly peg one or more cores at 100% all the time, like AAA games like Human Revolution**. It's games in the grey area of CPU load that mess up. I heard my friend has no problems running in powersave mode all the time, so it's possibly also related to other vague hardware things.

) I fixed its flicker problems by enabling Catalyst AI, which is a magic checkbox of which nobody knows what it does. You can all rest now.

***) As much as you can. With me in the corner, watching you sleep, while I stroke my purple dildo.

• @morbiuswilters said:

The problem with your reasoning is that WINE is one huge WTF. I'd be more shocked if somebody posted a screenshot of a program running perfectly in WINE.

All but one of my Windows games run perfectly on Ubuntu with WINE. It's much better than it used to be now.

• @anonymous_guy said:

All but one of my Windows games run perfectly on Ubuntu with WINE.

Can you list them?

• @anonymous_guy said:

@morbiuswilters said:

All but one of my Windows games run perfectly on Ubuntu with WINE. It's much better than it used to be now.

I have the same experience. When I want to use a windows program, 7 time out of 10 it run without an hitch via wine. Games tend to fare a bit less well, but seriously I have more problem playing game on XP than on wine.The main problem is that if it does not work, you have no official help, and the wine team is not big enough to give a shit about fringe games (like Space Empire V)

Of course, I understand that there would be no fun in actually trying to see if things work before giving value judgment, and that changing opinion is way too uncomfortable to be done. (it work also on linux user by the way ; I have seen Linux adept not understanding that Windows seven is a bit more stable and polished than windows 95, and that IE10 is a useable browser)

(now I agree with Blakeyrat in that it's expected to see sometime shit like that under wine. Still, a wine WTF is good enough for me :p)

•  Are you sure it's not a feature ? I find this EULA much more readable than the ones I usually see.

• @dhromed said:

@anonymous_guy said:

Can you list them?

Most of them are indie games from one of the Humble Bundles (Trine, Shank, LIMBO etc.). Some other games I own:
    Steam games: Oblivion (with several mods), Gothic series (I - III, with several mods), GTA series up to (and including) San Andreas, Portal, several Worms games
    Origin games: The Sims 3 (note: I did not install that for myself)

Not a very exciting list, I know, but all of them work fine on WINE. (IIRC, Gothic II even worked far better on WINE than it did on Windows on my old machine.)

• @morbiuswilters said:

LOL, hey guys, I tried installing Minecraft on my Atari Jaguar and---I'll be goddamned, it worked.

I'm certain our CI setup runs on an abacus.

• TRWTF with wine compatibility is not that most software is not compatible, it's the huge compatibility problems across different Wine versions, Linux distros, and hardware configurations. Taking a random application from the database:

• Works with version 1.5.15 on Ubuntu 12.10
    • Does not work with version 1.5.21 on Linux Mint 14
    • Works with the same version on Ubuntu 12.04
    • Does not work with version 1.5.24 on the same OS

• @spamcourt said:

TRWTF with wine compatibility is not that most software is not compatible, it's the huge compatibility problems across different Wine versions, Linux distros, and hardware configurations. Taking a random application from the database:

• Works with version 1.5.15 on Ubuntu 12.10
    • Does not work with version 1.5.21 on Linux Mint 14
    • Works with the same version on Ubuntu 12.04
    • Does not work with version 1.5.24 on the same OS

No wonder! 1.5.* is the current development series, so you should not be using it anyway. Only the even minor versions are stable releases (which usually do not have major regressions).

• @dhromed said:

@anonymous_guy said:
    Can you list them?

Did any of them come out in the 21st century?

• @blakeyrat said:

I knew you'd say that. If I had the time to play them, I would've bought some more games in the last two years. I don't, so buying anything else than cheap indie bundles would be a huge waste of money.

FYI: According to the AppDB, Skyrim and the latest Tomb Raider also work on recent wine versions.

• @blakeyrat said:

Should I care?

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Should I care?

Each has different challenges. For example, a 90's game would probably be using the OS native controls like menu bars and save dialogs while drawing with GDI+, whereas a 00's game would just take complete control of the screen and use advanced DirectX features, but would render everything itself.

• @dhromed said:

32- versus 64-bit java does not appear to grant any performance benefits. I haven't compared framerates, but the difference is insignificant, if any.
    It's not a framerate-related performance benefit, it's a "look at all the stuff I can load!" performance benefit. 32-bit apps are capped at 4GB of memory -- 2GB* if you're running 32-bit Windows as well -- whereas 64-bit apps have no practical limit. Using the "Far" render distance in newer versions of Minecraft can in some cases cause it to load more than 2-or-4-GB-of-memory-worth of chunks, especially if you're using mods or have a lot of entities, which will cause it to crash.

*) If you're completely insane you can raise it up to 3GB but it's likely you'll get bluescreens because drivers are dumb and assume they have bargeloads of memory.

• @TwelveBaud said:

@dhromed said:
    It's not a framerate-related performance benefit, it's a "look at all the stuff I can load!" performance benefit. 32-bit apps are capped at 4GB of memory -- 2GB* if you're running 32-bit Windows as well -- whereas 64-bit apps have no practical limit. Using the "Far" render distance in newer versions of Minecraft can in some cases cause it to load more than 2-or-4-GB-of-memory-worth of chunks, especially if you're using mods or have a lot of entities, which will cause it to crash.

*) If you're completely insane you can raise it up to 3GB but it's likely you'll get bluescreens because drivers are dumb and assume they have bargeloads of memory.

Keep in mind that pointers are twice as big when running 64-bit executables, so you need at LEAST 8GB of system memory (in things like Java where everything is a pointer) for 64 bit to provide any benefit as far as memory access goes.

• @Ben L. said:

Keep in mind that pointers are twice as big when running 64-bit executables, so you need at LEAST 8GB of system memory (in things like Java where everything is a pointer) for 64 bit to provide any benefit as far as memory access goes.

I'm not sure if you're being serious here, but you are overstating the impact of pointer size in 64-bit JVM vs. 32-bit. I'm the last person to defend Java, but at worst you're looking at something like 30-40% overhead in a 64-bit JVM. And that's assuming you aren't using compressed references, which when enabled will eliminate most of that overhead.

• @TwelveBaud said:

Using the "Far" render distance

Well, I never use Far anyway, because I like the fog.

• @dhromed said:

@TwelveBaud said:

Using the "Far" render distance

Well, I never use Far anyway, because I like the fog.

You must have loved Morrowind.

• Never played it.

• @mikeTheLiar said:

Ah but Morrowind needed the fog, otherwise you'd realize the island is like 200 meters across, max.

• @blakeyrat said:

@mikeTheLiar said:

Ah but Morrowind needed the fog, otherwise you'd realize the island is like 200 meters across, max.

Still took 6 goddam hours to walk across. Also, I was really, really pissed off when I saved the main quest for last (a couple hundred hours at least) and the fucking ghostfence disappeared.

• @dhromed said:

Never played it.

For reference:

• @dhromed said:

Never played it.

Its a shame, it was a good game, and at least for me more interesting than Oblivion and more cleverly written than the new one, I love The Elder Scrolls games but to each its own.

•  I will never play an Elder Scrolls game.

Or maybe I already have, since I loved Fallout 3.