I wonder if this is why my work laptop is sluggish

• Considered Harmful

The application with ~1.6B page faults is SetPoint, the driver for my Logitech mouse. I'll note that I've installed the maximum RAM supported by the motherboard, they give developers the same hardware as salesdroids.

I'm putting serious consideration into getting a more beefy work laptop out of my own pocket.

Edit: Geez, I killed SetPoint and suddenly the computer started flying (and not across the room, like I wanted to send it a few minutes ago). WTF, Logitech?

• Hope you're not hoping for a rapid response from Logitech support.

[quote user="http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards-and-Keyboard-Mice/SetPoint-Page-Faulting-Excessively/td-p/377459?nobounce"]

<div class="lia-quilt-column lia-quilt-column-20 lia-quilt-column-left">
    <div class="lia-quilt-column-alley lia-quilt-column-alley-left">

<div class="lia-message-subject">

<h1>SetPoint Page Faulting Excessivel<wbr>y</h1>
    		<span class="lia-message-subject-status"></span></div></div></div></div></div><p class="lia-message-dates lia-message-post-date lia-component-post-date-last-edited"><span class="DateTime lia-message-posted-on lia-component-common-widget-date"><span class="local-date">‎09-01-2009</span>

<span class="local-time">04:36 PM</span>

- edited

<span class="local-date">‎09-01-2009</span>

<span class="local-time">05:09 PM</span>

</p><p>[/quote]&nbsp;</p>

• Considered Harmful

Wow, crickets. My standard procedure for malware is to revoke its execute privilege (often seems to work better than outright deleting it, which is usually detected and auto-repaired), and that's what I did. My mouse and keyboard still seem to work.

• And this is why I very rarely install custom keyboard or mouse software. It's usually not worth it, unless there is some funky special feature. Multi-button mice will work just fine on the stock Microsoft driver.

• @joe.edwards said:

Wow, crickets. My standard procedure for malware is to revoke its execute privilege (often seems to work better than outright deleting it, which is usually detected and auto-repaired), and that's what I did. My mouse and keyboard still seem to work.

TRWTF is DRM for hardware.

That's what this is, right?

Please tell me that's what this is

• @Ben L. said:

@joe.edwards said:

TRWTF is DRM for hardware.

That's what this is, right?

Please tell me that's what this is

Possible.  But unlikley.  More likely it is a really shitty driver written by really shitty programmers. @CodeNinja said:
    And this is why I very rarely install custom keyboard or mouse software. It's usually not worth it, unless there is some funky special feature. Multi-button mice will work just fine on the stock Microsoft driver.
    This.

My USB wireless adapter came with an installation CD and on the front of the sleeve are instructions in a really big font "Run CD first!!!"  I threw the CD in the garbage, plugged in the wireless adapter, Win 7 recognized it immediately and it worked perfectly.  I once made the mistake of installing the "official" driver from the manufacturer, which was "newer" than the the Microsoft driver,  and it didn't work at all.

Also, my wireless Logitech mouse works perfectly with the Microsoft driver in Win 7.

• @CodeNinja said:

And this is why I very rarely install custom keyboard or mouse software. It's usually not worth it, unless there is some funky special feature. Multi-button mice will work just fine on the stock Microsoft driver.

Yeah but for trackpads? The default Windows trackpad behavior is... hm. To put it politely: shit.

• Yeah, but that's OK because trackpads are shit.

All hail the One True Mouse. Prostrate yourself in awe at the magnificence of its completely utilitarian design and total lack of surprising features.

• @flabdablet said:

All hail the One True Mouse.

It's too light.

• @dhromed said:

@flabdablet said:

It's too light.

A darker model was also available.

• @flabdablet said:

@dhromed said:

@flabdablet said:

It's too light.

A darker model was also available.

Darks are heavier?

You racist.

• @dhromed said:

Darks are heavier?

No, but the cream/grey ones are lighter.

• @El_Heffe said:

Also, my wireless Logitech mouse works perfectly with the Microsoft driver in Win 7.
    I've got a cheap Logitech webcam, which has a "Install driver from CD before plugging in" sticker on the cable. The camera works just fine without the CD of course, the only quirk is that the driver it downloads from Windows Update also tries to run some Logitech crapware (I think it's supposed to be something that checks for driver updates automatically), except that it always crashes. Doesn't affect the working of the camera, but it's kind of sad to see a crash dialog every time I plug in the camera to a different USB port.

I also have a wireless Logitech mouse, but I don't have SetPoint installed anymore (I had it installed when I was still using MX Revolution, but I only ran it when the mouse forgot the wheel glide settings).

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

Darks are heavier?

You racist.

Fuck. We were previously informed that skinny means black. Now it's the opposite? It's so hard to keep up with what all these dog whistles are actually supposed to be saying.

• @boomzilla said:

hat skinny means black.

I tried to read the article, but all I heard was PCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

•  @slate.com said:

Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, and 32 percent are obese.

So according to this article, only 2% of americans aren't overweight? If you say 0.5% have anorexia (health.usnews.com), that leaves 1.5% of the population in somewhat healthy shape. That can't possibly be true.

• I only have 94,403 after almost 12 days of uptime. The again I have 12 GB of RAM.

• ♿ (Parody)

@arh said:

@slate.com said:
    Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, and 32 percent are obese.

So according to this article, only 2% of americans aren't overweight? If you say 0.5% have anorexia (health.usnews.com), that leaves 1.5% of the population in somewhat healthy shape. That can't possibly be true.

Not to defend Slate, but...you're saying that obese people aren't overweight?

• @boomzilla said:

It's possible to make a distinction. This would be stupid, but it's a stupid article.I don't know if Slate is stupid. Maybe it is. I don't visit it, so that gives it a high chance of being stupid.

Should I care that I often confuse the name Slate and Salon? I don't visit either site.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:

It's possible to make a distinction. This would be stupid, but it's a stupid article.I don't know if Slate is stupid. Maybe it is. I don't visit it, so that gives it a high chance of being stupid.

Perhaps. But certainly one can be overweight but not obese. But if you're obese, you're not at normal weight and you're not underweight. What's left?

@dhromed said:

Should I care that I often confuse the name Slate and Salon? I don't visit either site.

I think that you should not care. And your browsing habits are solid in regards to these two.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@flabdablet said:

@dhromed said:
    Darks are heavier?

No, but the cream/grey ones are lighter.

I creamed my grey thinking about how light that dark one could be.

• @boomzilla said:

@arh said:
    @slate.com said:

They should have then said "Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, of which 32 percent are obese." But yeah, they probably mean 32% of the overweight are obese.

"Obese" is such an awesome word.

• ♿ (Parody)

@arh said:

They should have then said "Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, of which 32 percent are obese." But yeah, they probably mean 32% of the overweight are obese.

Well, it is Slate. But now you've left me wondering if 32% refers to 32% of Americans or 32% of people who are overweight! Writing about percentages is hard. Let's go shopping. Reformulated: Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, including the 32 percent of Americans who are obese.

@arh said:

Almost as awesome as "morbidly."

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@CodeNinja said:

QFT.  Now it's possible that there might be reason to add a custom driver for something like a WoW mouse or something, but there's not a lot of value in custom mouse drivers.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@dhromed said:

@boomzilla said:

You probably don't need to worry about confusing Slate and Salon--they're both stupid.

• @boomzilla said:

@arh said:

Well, it is Slate. But now you've left me wondering if 32% refers to 32% of Americans or 32% of people who are overweight! Writing about percentages is hard. Let's go shopping. Reformulated: Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, including the 32 percent of Americans who are obese.

In this thread: Reading comprehension

• @boomzilla said:

But if you're obese, you're not at normal weight and you're not underweight. What's left?

Pony!

@boomzilla said:

And your browsing habits are solid in regards to these two.

Thanks, I can sleep again.

• @boomzilla said:

Almost as awesome as "morbidly."

Morbidly is almost an onomatopoeia for blubbering fat.

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla said:

Writing about percentages is hard. Let's go shopping. Reformulated: Fully 66 percent of all citizens who've reached voting age are overweight, including the 32 percent of Americans who are obese.

I read a fun book about how advertisers abuse numbers, called How To Lie With Statistics. Basically I'll never believe any number in an advertisement ever again, because it showed me that you can take hard data and make it say whatever you want it to by being tricky with charts, math, semantics, or your sampling techniques.

• @blakeyrat said:

Yeah but for trackpads? The default Windows trackpad behavior is... hm. To put it politely: shit.

Really? I hadn't noticed. Although if I have to choose between system crippling performance and a dodgy trackpad, I'll take the dodgy trackpad.

• @CodeNinja said:

@blakeyrat said:

Really? I hadn't noticed. Although if I have to choose between system crippling performance and a dodgy trackpad, I'll take the dodgy trackpad.

I accidentally removed the trackpad software on my new ASUS laptop when I was uninstalling the crapware. Without it, I couldn't do 2-fingered scrolling, I couldn't do right-click at ALL, the tracking was spastic and extremely slow, etc.

Maybe different trackpads work better with the default Microsoft driver, but the one in this laptop didn't work worth shit.

• @blakeyrat said:

I accidentally removed the trackpad software on my new ASUS laptop when I was uninstalling the crapware. Without it, I couldn't do 2-fingered scrolling, I couldn't do right-click at ALL, the tracking was spastic and extremely slow, etc.

Maybe different trackpads work better with the default Microsoft driver, but the one in this laptop didn't work worth shit.

Ok, I'll give you that one, but that's something I've noticed with every ASUS laptop I've used. They have crap trackpads, which is a shame because otherwise they are really quite nice...

• And once again we meet with MS Windows' weakest point: shitty third-party software.

• @blakeyrat said:

Without the driver, Windows doesn't know you have a trackpad - it thinks you have a mouse, and as a result only the mouse features the trackpad emulates in hardware work.

Speaking of trackpads, why the hell do so many recent models do away with physical buttons? Trying to do a right-button drag is nearly impossible on those.

• @flabdablet said:

Yeah, but that's OK because trackpads are shit.

All hail the One True Mouse. Prostrate yourself in awe at the magnificence of its completely utilitarian design and total lack of surprising features.

It doesn't have enough buttons.

Also, I'm surprised you don't need drivers for mice and keyboard features yet. Almost every other USB device class is only barely supported if at all under Windows.

• @ender said:

Speaking of trackpads, why the hell do so many recent models do away with physical buttons? Trying to do a right-button drag is nearly impossible on those.

Because Apple makes trackpads without buttons. Whenever Apple makes something different, they get slavishly copied by the PC industry within 6 months. Doesn't matter whether it's a good idea or a stupid idea, it gets copied.

• @ender said:

why the hell do so many recent models do away with physical buttons?

Apple lemmings.

• @arh said:

Words.. is really interesting how it meaning change over time.

Interesting paragraph with some oblique reference

itaque laborant et fame et cruditate, quae fiunt umoris quantitate, aliqua vero et obesitate, ut omnia, quae resinam ferunt, nimia pingitudine in taedam mutantur et, cum radices quoque pinguescere coepere, intereunt, ut animalia nimio adipe, aliquando et pestilentia per genera, sicut inter homines nunc servitia, nunc plebes urbana vel rustica.

• @serguey123 said:

@arh said:

Words.. is really interesting how it meaning change over time.

Interesting paragraph with some oblique reference

itaque laborant et fame et cruditate, quae fiunt umoris quantitate, aliqua vero et obesitate, ut omnia, quae resinam ferunt, nimia pingitudine in taedam mutantur et, cum radices quoque pinguescere coepere, intereunt, ut animalia nimio adipe, aliquando et pestilentia per genera, sicut inter homines nunc servitia, nunc plebes urbana vel rustica.

Pushing

enter

doesn't

make

your

have

multiple

lines.

• @Ben L. said:

Pushing

enter

doesn't

make

your

have

multiple

lines.

You complain but don't fix, then again is my bad for forgetting how "interesting" CS works @serguey123. said:

Interesting paragraph with some oblique reference:

itaque laborant et fame et cruditate, quae fiunt umoris quantitate, aliqua vero et obesitate, ut omnia, quae resinam ferunt, nimia pingitudine in taedam mutantur et, cum radices quoque pinguescere coepere, intereunt, ut animalia nimio adipe, aliquando et pestilentia per genera, sicut inter homines nunc servitia, nunc plebes urbana vel rustica

Anyways... what is your opinion?

• @serguey123 said:

is my bad

No, it's always CS's fault. ALWAYS.

9/11? Community Server.

Hurricanes? Community Server.

School shootings? Community Server.

Girlfriend broke up with you? Community Server.