Snoofle: i have many stories like yours to submit

• but if my client find out will he kill me? fear of eminent death is what is stopping me from submission of stories.

• Written up by snoofle doesn't mean that is where the story came from originally.

• @locallunatic said:

Written up by snoofle doesn't mean that is where the story came from originally.

is he stealing stories from other magzines?

• @Nagesh said:

@locallunatic said:

Written up by snoofle doesn't mean that is where the story came from originally.

People send in stories that are then rewritten for publication on the site.  So the basis of the story is something someone submitted, but details and things are added to make it flow better (as a great many programmers are terrible writers).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Nagesh said:

No, he isn't.

• I kind of have this problem. I recently submitted a (fairly detailed and anonymized by myself already) story about a prior job, but if they ever were to find out I'm sure they would try to sue for defamation or some crap (not that they could, it's all true). Hoping it appears here soon as it will be on the level of the Virtudyne Saga, I think.

• @ObiWayneKenobi said:

I'm sure they would try to sue for defamation or some crap (not that they could, it's all true)

There's some phrase used when someone reads a story describing how incompetant and utterly useless an anonymously-named company is but is lothe to initiate legal action against the writer for defamation or "bringing the company into disrepute" because they'll have to 'fess up that the tales ARE true and thus reveal their identity.

I read about it when a russian cracker's seminar talk was a proof-of-concept that a vendor's "safe encryption" could be cracked - who then was arrested once he walked offstage. The vendor was then stuck between a rock and a hard place: they couldn't prosecute the cracker without admitting their uncrackable encryption had been broken, and maintaining it was uncrackable meant the ruskie couldn't be held. Anyone remember this tale? Was some time ago.

• @Cassidy said:

I read about it when a russian cracker's seminar talk was a proof-of-concept that a vendor's "safe encryption" could be cracked - who then was arrested once he walked offstage

Corporations can arrest people in Russia? Glad I don't live there...

• @ekolis said:

@Cassidy said:
    I read about it when a russian cracker's seminar talk was a proof-of-concept that a vendor's "safe encryption" could be cracked - who then was arrested once he walked offstage

The same shit happens in the USA

To comedians

For swearing

• @ekolis said:

@Cassidy said:

No, he flew to USA to attend the seminar - and the arrest was made by the FBI.

The story quickly broke, the vendor in question gauged the swell of public opinion and - recognising the harm to their reputation and brand product - dropped the case. However, the authorities continued to press forwards on the arrest (they'd seized his PoC as evidence of a DCMA violation).

In the meantime, his visa ran out and the vendor wouldn't budge upon supporting the arrest, and they couldn't hold him indefinitely, so deported him on the condition that he return to US soil and stand trial for the charges against him. He agreed.

Later when he was summoned to appear in court, he applied for a visa - and was denied entry into the USA.

• @Ben L. said:

To comedians

For swearing

What do you expect? It's not like it's the land of the freedom or anything. Otherwise they'd have rules to protect free speech.. right?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Cassidy said:

@Ben L. said:

To comedians

For swearing

What do you expect? It's not like it's the land of the freedom or anything. Otherwise they'd have rules to protect free speech.. right?

apropos of Bugger all, the current shitstorm over press freedom, cunts in parliament and bloggers susceptible to extortionate damages post-Levison in the UK...