Visual Studio wtf

• Just doing some debugging with VS 2003 and noticed some very strange fonts in the memory view: wtf??

If that direct image link didn't work try this: http://picasaweb.google.com/dan.pidcock/Misc/photo#4964534858493919250

• You mean the highlighted character is in a different font than the rest of the characters?
    That does look a bit strange.

• Yes - also the accented I's (CD) on the same line are different to the ones on the line below, and the R next to the accented y is also quite strange.

I've never seen this before in the debugger. Wonder what caused it...

• Well, there's the problem!  You have letters all mixed in with your numbers!

(see http://thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/47757.aspx)

• My guess is that somehow the font got changed while VS was displaying this, so the ones that look odd are the ones that have been redrawn since then.
    The font used looks kinda like the Roman characters included in oriental locale fonts... Maybe the locale got changed? Testing localisation perhaps?

• I've noticed that happen in Visual Studio 2003 too... the mind boggles as to why it might be doing that. I don't think it has anything to do with localisation or changing font settings.

I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if I can catch it doing it again.

• AFAIK it happens because VS memory window sometimes happen to interpret memory data as RichEdit control characters, changing fonts, styles, and some other things.

• @benryves said:

The IDE switches font (up to the end of the line or current coloured block) if you have some of the more exotic Unicode characters in your source file. I guess what it's doing is trying to display a character that the current font doesn't have in it, switches to a font that does have the character then neglects to switch back to the original font again. Happens in VS2K5.

That would make sense if we weren't looking at the hex-dump portion.  What font doesn't have 0-9 and a-f?

• @mhughes said:

@benryves said:
    The IDE switches font (up to the end of the line or current coloured block) if you have some of the more exotic Unicode characters in your source file. I guess what it's doing is trying to display a character that the current font doesn't have in it, switches to a font that does have the character then neglects to switch back to the original font again. Happens in VS2K5.

That would make sense if we weren't looking at the hex-dump portion.  What font doesn't have 0-9 and a-f?

Wingdings?

• @mhughes said:

@benryves said:

It looks to me as if the hex-dump portion and the plaintext to its right were the same control, so the Unicode explanation might make sense. Consider that the plain-text line is on character too short (it's not a blank, that would be 20 in the hex section).

• @danio said:

Yes - also the accented I's (CD) on the same line are different to the ones on the line below, and the R next to the accented y is also quite strange.

I've never seen this before in the debugger. Wonder what caused it...

Windows tends to have trouble loading true type fonts when you're running low on virtual memory.