Put the following steps in order. Put the following steps in order.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

So I've been fairly busy over the past year. A lot of not fun shit-- but one of the positives is working a new job. Good position, good office, good people. Bonus. Now that I'm at the end of my first year there, I need to pick up a Microsoft certification in Dynamics Navision. If you're not familiar with NAV, it's basically a specialized CRM aimed at mid-level businesses. Due to the Venn diagram of cost of the product vs. business size of target audience vs. install base-- it's a fairly specialized programming language to know. As such, study resources are, shall we say, fairly limited. And by that, I mean once you eliminate every shit-shilling site ("we is experts and MCP is plus plus {copy paste description of certification from MCP website} enter credit card: [xxxx]"), there are zero study resources. I did find a PDF preview of one of these "study guides". It had a number of practice questions. About 50% of the answers on the preview were wrong. Like, huge fundamentally wrong. Like, "Integer is a number based datatype: ( ) T (x) F" wrong.

So the only resource that leaves me is the Real Official Microsoft(tm) Textbook: C/SIDE Solution Development! This one is straight from the Seattle Horse's mouth. Written by MS. Published by MS. Distributed to MS Navision partners. It's got to be the best of the best. Surely it isn't the book equivalent of a bug-ridden UI nightmare mess that one would expect from MS, right? Surely I wouldn't ask that rhetoric question unless I already know the answer, right? (And surely I wouldn't ask THAT rhetoric question unless I was trying to be cute, right? [And also surely I wouldn't be posting this on tdwtf unless it was, right? <And surely Discource is going to puke somehow with nested brackets, right>])

So, like circles of Hell, as the wtfs in this book get deeper and more insidious, they become more intense and soul crushing.

1. The [+ New Topic] cancel UI overlays the bottom of the input textbox, making this line very hard to type unless I insert a bunch of carriage returns to push it further up the input box FUCK YOU VERY MUCH DISCOURCE I LITERALLY CAN'T MAKE A SINGLE POST WITHOUT ENCOUNTERING A BUG GO FUCK YOURSLEF!

2. The usual raft of bad editing. Spelling errors (Navision achieves searching and sorting usinf SQL Server technology). References to images where captions don't match (see figure 9: The Role Center-- later on it says Figure 9: Role Center Page). Diagrams where the text is on page 35, but the image is on page 36, so you have to flip back and forth. All the usual shit from a textbook.

3. Speaking of images-- a good quarter of these images look like they were of a window maximized on a 1080p screen-- the shrunk down to fit a textbook page. There's more image artifact compression going on than the time Gozilla stomped through the MOMA. The text is about 1px high, the icons 2px high. Blurry, unreadable mess.

4. Then you get into the ambiguous wording, where it becomes impossible to tell what they're trying to teach you. "To eliminate the overhead of the indexes we recommend not maintaining them by setting MaintainSQLIndex to no". Okay, Microsoft-- so do you mean "You can maintain indexes by setting this property to no, but that causes a lot of overhead so don't do it". Or do you mean "If you set this to Yes, they will be maintained. Don't do that. That's bad. Set it to No, and the indexes will cease to be maintained".

But the shit cherry ontop of this fuck-frosted asshole cake is this. Moduel 6: Reporting. Module review. Test your knowledge. I will now present this EXACTLY as it is in the book. I heavily encourage you all to try to answer this practice question. Even if you know nothing of Navision-- give it a shot.

Sequencing Activity
    Put the following steps in order by numbering each to indicate the correct order:
    ___| Steps
    [ ] OnPreDataItem
    [ ] OnPreDataItem
    [ ] OnPostDataItem
    [ ] OnPreReport
    [ ] OnAfterGetRecord
    [ ] OnAfterGetRecord
    [ ] OnInitReport
    [ ] OnInitReport
    [ ] OnPostReprot
    [ ] OnPreReport
    [ ] OnPostDataItem

Do you see what they did there? Do you see what they did there?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Discource bugs encountered in this post:

1. Aforementioned buttons on bottom line cover up text
    2. Not seen above: " (And surely I wouldn't ask THAT rhetoric question unless I was trying to be cute, right? [And also surely I wouldn't be posting this on tdwtf unless it was, right? ])" There is actually a third level of brackets there. I guess I can't type angled brackets without Discource shitting itself. That should say something like <And I wonder if Discource will shit itself with too many levels of indentation >. So apparently yes, yes it will. Fuck you x2 discource.
    3. The faux entry boxes in the "order these steps" are suppose to have 4 spaces between the opening [ and the closing ], to give y'all room to type your answers. Preserve the whitespace I intentionally put into a message? WHY THE FUCK TO DO THAT JUST SILLY.

So three. Three fucking Shitcourse bugs from posting ONE FUCKING MESSAGE. One bug destroyed a portion of my content. Another bug interfered with entering a message. Another bug modified formatting.

Fuck you Discourse. Fuck you always. OH HOW FUCKING APPROPRIATE! (see image below)

http://i.imgur.com/kq2rEm6.png

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

( I don't see [ What you mean with < the complaint about > brackets in ] Discourse )

And I didn't even use &gt; and the likes. I just used a space between the brackets and the words.

Filed Under: Otherwise your browser might want to interpret it as HTML and thats no good | You do run into problems when putting [] right before (), btw. because it tries to make a link out of that.

Addendum: Also: Welcome back :D

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

How many ninja edits? O_o

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Pre bracket: (Round Bracket follow by square [Square bracket followed by angled <inner angled bracket> end of angled] end of square) outside of round.

Again with no trailing (Round bracket [square bracket <angled bracket>])

Image:
    http://i.imgur.com/dVdtBpu.png

I had to make the sentences make sense in case some browser doesn't render stuff.
    Now its:
    ( I don''t see Discourse )
    ([ I don't see what you mean with brackets in Discourse ])
    ([< I don't see what you mean with your complaint about brackets in Discourse >])

Each makes sense... and I might need to take the capitalisation off the "what".... oh well

Filed Under: You could set the ninja edit time to 0 so this would be open ;P

but <SOMETHING SOMETHING> is in theory HTML. So your browser hides it away as an unknown tag. This should have worked the same way over at CS, right?

Filed Under: remember, Discourse allows ALL the markup

• Trolleybus Mechanic

1. And yet I see your something something
    2. Why the fuck is it allowing tags in a wysiwyg editor?
    3. Double why the fuck isn't it allowing a whitelist of tags and html-encoding the rest?

@Kuro said:

This should have worked the same way over at CS, right?

Yup.

@Lorne_Kates said:

1) And yet I see your something something

1. To be fair, at that thing I used &lt;SOMETHINGSOMETHING&gt;.
    2. This is no WYSIWYG Editor? There is a "Preview" over at the right (unless you disabled that) but thats about it. No fancy stuff in here.
    3. I honestly don't know. We are scared to find out how they could mess that up to destroy the whole foum ;P

Filed Under: Just before you ask, there is no Tag-Cloud to attack. I am just using Filed Unders because why not.

PS. If you are using the "TDWTF default style, there should be a </> Button below each post. @PJH put that in and it show the Raw-text of the post.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

So of the three bugs, one of them can be closed as "operates just as shittily as the decade old software it's supposed to improve upon"? k.

I just assumed this was a wysiwyg, since there's a row of formatting widgets. Which is the general user expectation for wysiwyg entry boxes. But that's my fault for expecting any Discourse visual cues to make any fucking sense.

I see the </>. Thanks, @PJH, for attempting to graft non-shit features onto a shitpile. :|

Edit: goddamnit, Discourse, if I wanted a graphic smiley, I would have clicked on one of the ones you presented. I dismissed the graphic smiley box. No means no. Stop emotiraping me. :|

• BINNED

Discourse sucks, yes.

So, how about that book, eh?

Also, is that that the same Dynamics from the radio drama? And, more importantly, isn't there an expert from New York you can ask to help you with your exam?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Onyx said:

Discourse sucks, yes.

Yes.

@Onyx said:

Also, is that that the same Dynamics from the radio drama? And, more importantly, isn't there an expert from New York you can ask to help you with your exam?

That's Dynamics AX, the large-enterprise version of Navision. Different programming backend, too. Pretty much at some point in the past, Microsoft bought up 3 different CRM software packages (small, medium, large business), slapped the word Dynamics on it, and spent the next decade optimizing them for SQL Server.

Eidt: That's New York CITY, thank you very much.

@Lorne_Kates said:

I see the </>. Thanks, @PJH, for attempting to graft non-shit features onto a shitpile.

I can't really take credit for creating it - merely putting it there.

• BINNED

Ah, Microsoft naming conventions...

Just a few days ago I was trying to explain to someone the difference between MVC design pattern and ASP.NET MVC. It was for a class of some kind, and they had an assignment to create some simple rental system using ASP.NET.

Every time I mentioned that they have to create an object that models the database table so they can then display it in a view I was met with cries of "Nonono, we're doing MVC next, I can't use MVC for this!"

:facepalm:

• Trolleybus Mechanic

ASP.Net: where an class, variable and method can all have the same name.

Widget Widget = new Widget();
    Widget.Widget = Widget;

• FoxDev

welcome back!

for a while anyway!

• @Lorne_Kates said:

There's more image artifact compression going on than the time Gozilla stomped through the MOMA.

That joke would have worked without the word "artifact".

• @Lorne_Kates said:

Widget Widget = new Widget();Widget.Widget = Widget;

Modern C# would be:

var widget = new Widget();

Which is significantly less confusing.

• The only way to learn something about Navision is by the means of very expensive consultants. If your company drank that KoolAid, let them pay for their mistake and your training.

Anyway, it's not called Navision anymore.

• I thought you rage quit.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

That joke would have worked without the word "artifact".

Museum. Right?

@blakeyrat said:

Modern C# would be:

var widget = new Widget();

Which is significantly less confusing.

namespace Widget
    {
    class Widget;
    }

I wonder if I can't have Widget : List<Widget>.

At least I can add a public function that returns a Widget called Widget(Widget Widget).

Widget.Widget Widget = New Widget.Widget();
    Widget = Widget.Widget(Widget);

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Eldelshell said:

The only way to learn something about Navision is by the means of very expensive consultants. If your company drank that KoolAid, let them pay for their mistake and your training.

Technically, we are the highly paid consultants.

@Captain said:

I thought you rage quit.

Yes.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

Museum. Right?

Huh? I don't understand what you're asking.

The joke is Godzilla stomps through the MOMA producing "compressed images". Haha. The problem is the word "artifact" ruins the joke, because it doesn't make any sense for Godzilla's stomping to produce JPEG artifacts.

And now that I've explained what I meant in great detail, the joke is now stone-dead.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

And now that I've explained what I meant in great detail, the joke is now stone-dead.

You've become what you hate. Let it flow through you.

• Garbage Person

I took it as 'compression artifacts':'Modern art that's been made even worse by Godzilla damaging it' rather than 'compressed image':'Godzilla compressing images by stepping on them'

In other words, the joke works (poorly) whether or not artifacts are mentioned - but it takes different routes to get there.

@Weng said:

I took it as 'compression artifacts':'Modern art that's been made even worse by Godzilla damaging it' rather than 'compressed image':'Godzilla compressing images by stepping on them'

That's getting to be a rather complicated misunderstanding, with much reaching for concepts that goes beyond what is normally expected. At the very least, you'd need to introduce the concept of Godzilla to the conversation first, and the idea that Godzilla likes to go round stomping on things, leaving them very flat. With all that, you could then use the joke itself, as the audience will go “Oh, you!” rather than “Huh?”.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

namespace Widget{ class Widget;}

Yeah, that bit me quite a few times. Want to have your Widget.cs together with helper classes in a Widget folder? Screw you, now either C# thinks Widget is a namespace, or you get to hear Resharper complaining that you should keep the namespaces consistent with folders.

Also, welcome back until your next ragequit.

• @dkf said:

At the very least, you'd need to introduce the concept of Godzilla to the conversation first, and the idea that Godzilla likes to go round stomping on things, leaving them very flat.

What if when Godzilla stamps on things, he damages their colour balance, causing banding and other odd visual effects?

• @blakeyrat said:

The problem is the word "artifact" ruins the joke, because it doesn't make any sense for Godzilla's stomping to produce JPEG artifacts.

No, no, it produces compressed artifacts, which may also include images, hence "image artifacts".

@blakeyrat said:

the joke is now stone-dead.

And as usual, we'll rape its carcass for what it's worth.

@Maciejasjmj said:

And as usual, we'll rape its carcass for what it's worth.

You achieved that within 0.1µs of the uttering of the joke. Now what?

• @dkf said:

Now what?

Now... we look back on our lives and contemplate where we've gone wrong?

• Welcome back! We knew you'd cave, eventually.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Captain said:

Welcome back! We knew you'd cave, eventually.

This Navision book is at least marginally worse that Discurse. That's my new standard for posting.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

And of course, the exam registration system refuses to be out wtf'd by a silly book:

http://i.imgur.com/Pak5AUL.png

Sidenote: Why is it that ever since Redmond went all Metrosoft, they've been completely incapable of drawing a round circle? Every fucking circle icon I see from that shitpile of an interface looks like it's been drawn by hand, pixel by pixel, in MS Paint. The edges are never quite round. It's always oval in some way. A side is usually cut off altogether.

BTW: Anyone hazard a guess at numbering those steps yet? Here's a hint: the first step is OnInitReport

• @Lorne_Kates said:

the first step is OnInitReport

I'll wager the second one is OnInitReport. No, wait, maybe it was the other way round...

• BINNED

And where does OnPostReprot fit it? I hope it isn't referencing the Dutch/Flemish word prot because then this WTF would be even more stinking then it seems.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

MaintainSQLIndex to no". Okay, Microsoft-- so do you mean "You can maintain indexes by setting this property to no

no

@Lorne_Kates said:

[ 1 ] OnInitReport
    [ 2 ] OnPreReport
    [ 3 ] OnPreDataItem
    [ 4 ] OnPostDataItem
    [ 5 ] OnAfterGetRecord
    [ 6 ] OnPostReprot
    [ 7 ] OnInitReport
    [ 8 ] OnPreReport
    [ 9 ] OnPreDataItem
    [10 ] OnPostDataItem
    [11 ] OnAfterGetRecord

This is my guess. Under this interpretation, the point of having the duplicate set of steps is to test your understanding of whether (or how) the processes interleave; given that I'm guessing, I've elected to go for the simplest option that could possibly correct.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

You've become what you hate. Let it flow through you.

Vader! You're back!!!

• Banned

What browser? Does it happen with the default discourse theme?

Markdown always swallowed spaces, its the way it has always been since its hybrid html [&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;] if you insist http://johnmacfarlane.net/babelmark2/?text=[++++]

• This post is deleted!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

It was on tdwtf default. I swithced it right now to dicky default.

Let's see what happens.

But first as in your screenshot-- really, I have to click on my avatar to get to the settings page?

Not, y'know, the setting menu right beside my avatar.

When normally clicking on an avatar would take you to profile page.

And boom, there you go. Firefox. Also, about 20% of the screen is nothing but whitespace, so I have a huge horizontal scrollbar.
    http://i.imgur.com/jTaqFlE.png

• Banned

I am having lots of trouble reproducing this

What OS? Is this zoomed?

Agree we can do a bit better with "hidden preview" mode which you have selected, perhaps just center it at a max-width of sorts.

@Lorne_Kates said:

But first as in your screenshot-- really, I have to click on my avatar to get to the settings page?

The custom styles list is a TDWTF-specific thing, not a Discourse supplied thing.

@Lorne_Kates said:

Not, y'know, the setting menu right beside my avatar.

What setting menu? Your avatar is the settings menu. The one to the left of your avatar isn't a settings menu - it's shortcuts to categories and other pages.

• kills Dumbledore

@PJH said:

The one to the left of your avatar isn't a settings menu - it's shortcuts to categories and other pages.

That does seem against the conventions of most hamburger menus though

@Jaloopa said:

Well quite, but the point still stands, none of the things in that hamburger menu is a setting (unless you consider 'Admin' to be a setting, but not too many people have that there.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said:

No kidding. Where's the cheese? Bacon? Fuck this place.

• kills Dumbledore

What do you know? You think McDonald's is good food

• ♿ (Parody)

@Jaloopa said:

What do you know? You think McDonald's is good food

BACON

@sam said:

What OS? Is this zoomed?

Discourse Default, FF35.0.5, 100% zoom: