It's 2014, this IT problem should be solved by now...

• That's not even the worst thing Windows does with filesystems.

A few days ago I booted into Linux to test a program, did a few screenshots, saved them on the shared (NTFS) drive and rebooted back into Windows. The screenshots were saved with file names like "Screenshot on 08-06-2014 14:24:53.png". When I tried to open them in Windows... I couldn't, because ":" is not an allowed character in filenames. Nor could I copy them or rename them (Why The Fuck?). Same with filenames that are "too long". I had to boot back into Linux to help Windows read a file in a filesystem that for a long time Linux couldn't even read.

• There is a setting in Samba for that password thing... But I can't remember what it is at all.

NFS and AFS are extremely unreliable, NFSv4 has even worse reliability than v3. And Samba is extremely inefficient. There is no good file sharing protocol at all.

Also, sharing files through the Internet. There is simply no way to share a file without posting it on some site.

• @anonymous234 said:

When I tried to open them in Windows... I couldn't, because ":" is not an allowed character in filenames. Nor could I copy them or rename them (Why The Fuck?).

To be fair, colons are illegal characters in NTFS filenames, and the Windows filesystem API will not allow you to use them. Just because you can use a 3rd-party NTFS driver to violate the rules does not mean that NTFS itself is at fault - by the same token, you could use a custom ext3 driver to create a filename containing a slash or a NUL and Linux probably wouldn't be very happy about it, but that's not Linux's fault.

• @ender said:

I've personally witnessed computers that had a few months of uptime

If only there were some way to restart sections of a computer without restarting the whole thing. Maybe we can call this individual unit of execution a "process". Gee, I wonder why nobody[1] has ever thought of that before! Maybe then we can have more than a week of uptime!

[1] Except every mainstream non-Windows OS.[2]
    [2] Yes, both of them.

• @Nagesh said:

DATA DE-DUPLICATION. This is one problem that will never be solved.

Dropbox does a pretty good job of it.

Everything you store on Dropbox is encrypted with the hash of its own content, which sounds horribly unsafe until you realize that the only way to retrieve an encryption key for some anonymous content blob would be to know what was in it in the first place.

That lets them save a single copy of every pirated MP3 that anybody uploads to Dropbox. When you go to upload your own copy, they check the hash and if somebody else has already done that then the upload doesn't actually happen; they just link your folder to the existing copy.

• Considered Harmful

@flabdablet said:

Everything you store on Dropbox is encrypted with the hash of its own content, which sounds horribly unsafe until you realize that the only way to retrieve an encryption key for some anonymous content blob would be to know what was in it in the first place.

Well, the RIAA/whoever could trivially prove that your file is copyrighted.

• @Quietust said:

anonymous234 said:
    When I tried to open them in Windows... I couldn't, because ":" is not an allowed character in filenames. Nor could I copy them or rename them (Why The Fuck?).

To be fair, colons are illegal characters in NTFS filenames, and the Windows filesystem API will not allow you to use them. Just because you can use a 3rd-party NTFS driver to violate the rules does not mean that NTFS itself is at fault - by the same token, you could use a custom ext3 driver to create a filename containing a slash or a NUL and Linux probably wouldn't be very happy about it, but that's not Linux's fault.

One of the applications I use a lot has decided that Chinese characters are illegal in file names. And in directories. So it'll let me open such a file, but it won't let me save it back with its original name if I make any changes.

• @flabdablet said:

That lets them save a single copy of every pirated MP3 that anybody uploads to Dropbox. When you go to upload your own copy, they check the hash and if somebody else has already done that then the upload doesn't actually happen; they just link your folder to the existing copy.

So, what if your master's thesis accidentally collides with Rick Astley?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@anonymous234 said:

Same with filenames that are "too long".

The too-long thing is one of those awful things. I believe that you can put some kind of incantation on the front to force the API to use the version of the filename parser that has larger internal buffers, but I truly never knew that and it's not memorable to me. (It's probably broken because they don't dare fix it in case it breaks something else.)

• @ben_lubar said:

If only there were some way to restart sections of a computer without restarting the whole thing. Maybe we can call this individual unit of execution a "process". Gee, I wonder why nobody[1] has ever thought of that before! Maybe then we can have more than a week of uptime!

[1] Except every mainstream non-Windows OS.[2][2] Yes, both of them.

Did I miss the "Say The Most Retarded Thing Imaginable" Contest? Because I think Ben gets the First Prize..

• Considered Harmful

@morbiuswilters said:

Did I miss the "Say The Most Retarded Thing Imaginable" Contest? Because I think Ben gets the First Prize..

• Morbs! We missed you.

Filed under: well some of us

• The secret to getting Morbs to come back is to say dumb enough shit that he physically has to call you on it.

• Considered Harmful

@ben_lubar said:

The secret to getting Morbs to come back is to say dumb enough shit that he physically has to call you on it.

By your stupidity combined, I am Captain Wilters!

• @ben_lubar said:

What if the kernel is updated? What if the window manager (which runs in kernel mode on Windows) is updated? What if a Windows core library, used by every opened process is updated? Most Windows updates that require a reboot do one of those things.

On Linux, services which are updated usually restart themselves, but not necessarily in the right order, and there is no guarantee that applications which were using those services will continue working after the service restart.

• @VinDuv said:

What if the kernel is updated? What if the window manager (which runs in kernel mode on Windows) is updated? What if a Windows core library, used by every opened process is updated? Most Windows updates that require a reboot do one of those things.

It's saying something if Windows is so buggy they have to release a fix for the kernel every week. And the fix is so urgent that it has to force-reboot my computer after at most 15 minutes.

• @ben_lubar said:

The secret to getting Morbs to come back is to say dumb enough shit that he physically has to call you on it.

Dumb shit sends waves through the intelliplane field. Morbius has a growth on his foot that makes him abnormally sensitive to disturbances in this field.

• I am always warned in advance for an update by Windows 8, and often I wonder "Why aren't you applying the update and reboot this instant, now that I am still at the login screen?"

It's usually super fast to boot up anyway, so I don't mind.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

It's usually super fast to boot up anyway, so I don't mind.

Everyone always says this, but I've yet to experience it. Granted, I've only booted to Win 8 a dozen or two times. And WTF is the deal with it not booting to a login screen? That's detrimental to logging in and using my damn computer.

• @error said:

the RIAA/whoever could trivially prove that your file is copyrighted.

Right, which is why any sensible pirate interested in storing things on Dropbox will mess with the ID3 tags first.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

what if your master's thesis accidentally collides with Rick Astley?

Don't worry about it. Won't happen.

• @VinDuv said:

What if the kernel is updated?

kGraft it

• @boomzilla said:

Everyone always says this, but I've yet to experience it. Granted, I've only booted to Win 8 a dozen or two times.

How fast is fast for you? 30 seconds? 20? I haven't measured the seconds, but it's doing ~45 seconds for a while now (though yeah I really should measure it instead of guesstimate from memory), and it's been in use for over a year. That's fast, as far as I'm concerned. Wayyyy faster than the previous XP installation, anyway.

• @dhromed said:

How fast is fast for you? 30 seconds? 20? I haven't measured the seconds, but it's doing ~45 seconds for a while now, and it's been in use for over a year. That's fast, as far as I'm concerned. Wayyyy faster than the previous XP installation, anyway.

My ~1 month old shiny new gaming PC boots in about 10 - 15 seconds 😃

I'm expecting that to drop drastically once I start installing/using more programs tho.

Edit: Can't fix formatting mistake because "body is too similar"... blah blah blah DIFFERENCES!

• @boomzilla said:

And WTF is the deal with it not booting to a login screen? That's detrimental to logging in and using my damn computer.

When has Windows ever booted to a login screen? I don't remember if it did in 98, but I know it didn't since XP.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

How fast is fast for you? 30 seconds? 20?

My memory tells me more like minutes. But as I don't do this very often, my memory is probably polluted by Windows Updates farting around instead of just getting on with it.

@rad131304 said:

When has Windows ever booted to a login screen? I don't remember if it did in 98, but I know it didn't since XP.

Well, OK, but something that says, like, CTRL+ALT>+DEL or whatever. It seemed...DIFFERENT somehow. I think you have to click a mouse button or something? I just rebooted my Win7 laptop and I get a screen saying "Press CTRL+ALT>+DEL to log on." Which is what I recall since, like, NT 3.5 or whatever that was back then.

All of the discoverability in Windows 8 seems to have to be filtered through google.

• @boomzilla said:

My memory tells me more like minutes.

Wait, are you talking about the updates, or just regular boot time?

Updates can take a minute or two. But is that so bad?

• ♿ (Parody)

@dhromed said:

Wait, are you talking about the updates, or just regular boot time?

Updates can take a minute or two. But is that so bad?

I don't recall getting sub minute regular boots. But that could just be my memory. Updates take more than a minute or two. On my machine with 8, I only get around to them every few months, so perhaps that's part of the problem.

But have they gotten noticeably faster since 7? I keep my 7 box up to date, and those take at least 10 minutes before the reboot, which takes a few more. I'm sure most people don't notice it so much, since they are regularly working and this stuff happens in the background. I usually fire up these machines specifically to do updates (I use them other times, but mostly they're off) so I notice how fucking slow Windows updates are.

Not a world ending WTF, but annoying nonetheless.

• @VinDuv said:

On Linux, services which are updated usually restart themselves, but not necessarily in the right order, and there is no guarantee that applications which were using those services will continue working after the service restart.

I hear people say this all the time, but I've gone weeks without restarting laptop, only ever sleeping, through several updates, and never once had an issue. The only problem I've ever had with Linux and updated is canonical Ubuntu always replacing my burg with default grub2 even after removing it. So I don't run canonical Ubuntu anymore.

@boomzilla said:

I don't recall getting sub minute regular boots

My laptop triple boots a couple Linux distros and Windows 8.1. Boot times are pretty much within the 20 second range on all (ssd). My Windows 7 gaming rig at home is about thirty seconds without ssd.

• @Quietust said:

To be fair, colons are illegal characters in NTFS filenames, and the Windows filesystem API will not allow you to use them.

Actually, they are legal in NTFS filenames, they're just not legal in Win32 objectnames, and Explorer and CMD are Win32 applications. However, if you have SFU/SUA installed, you can use bash or ksh to access those files. It always amused me when friends tried to open my folder named "..."...
    @dkf said:
    I believe that you can put some kind of incantation on the front to force the API to use the version of the filename parser that has larger internal buffers, but I truly never knew that and it's not memorable to me.

\?\\
    @boomzilla said:
    Insert card, swipe finger, press the Windows Security button, click the Windows Security button, or press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log on."

On Windows XP, this usually only happens if you're joined to a domain; since Windows Vista, this usually only happens if the "Require Secure Attention Sequence to log in" policy is set, which can be changed by a domain GPO or from the User Accounts control panel. The default is off.

• @VinDuv said:

What if the window manager (which runs in kernel mode on Windows)

Support for XP has ended, and the window manager runs in userspace again.

@boomzilla said:

Everyone always says this, but I've yet to experience it. Granted, I've only booted to Win 8 a dozen or two times.

With Fast startup enabled, it boots up really fast (less than 10 seconds after BIOS).

@flabdablet said:

kGraft it

Windows had an option for hotpatching code in memory, too, but I've only seen it done with a few Server 2003 updates, and then MS quietly stopped including that option in the updates.
    @rad131304 said:
    When has Windows ever booted to a login screen?

Always, if your account is password-protected.

• ♿ (Parody)

@ender said:

With Fast startup enabled, it boots up really fast (less than 10 seconds after BIOS).

Hmm...I'm getting memories now...I think I may have disabled this as Windows did strange things to the disk, especially when you dual boot. Looking around...yep, I think that's what happened. Not a big deal for me, since I rarely boot into Windows, but I guess I can stop wondering why you guys get much faster boot times on Windows.

• Dual boot is for immatures. Triple boot is all the action now.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Nagesh said:

Triple boot is all the action now.

I can't think of what else I'd want to boot, though I do have several VMs that I run regularly.

• @boomzilla said:

Hmm...I'm getting memories now...

It could be just that your perception of time is messed up.

WHAT YEAR IS IT?

• Apple Mac with Linux and Windows boot parts.@boomzilla said:

I can't think of what else I'd want to boot, though I do have several VMs that I run regularly.

• @ender said:

I've never heard of this and haven't seen it anywhere in settings. Is it on by default?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Nagesh said:

Apple Mac with Linux and Windows boot parts.

Like I said...

@boomzilla said:

I can't think of what else I'd want to boot...

And I can't boot OSX from my machine in any case.

• @Nagesh said:

Apple Mac with Linux and Windows boot parts.

I was doing this, but there were no drivers for my wireless card that would work for OS X (had to use a USB one). Turns out I hate OS X and I got rid of it for another partition to try new linux distros in. I wouldn't have the Windows partition if not for school classes that insist on using Respondus browser (what a useless hack of a tool).

• Windows Update may be a PITA, but it works. Unlike certain FOSS operating systems that don't even ship with auto-update functionality installed by default.

As for Windows Update, it's way past time that MS made its love of rebooting a thing of the past. This is one of the things I'm sorely hoping they fix with Windows 9.

• 🚽 Regular

@Maciejasjmj said:

So, what if your master's thesis accidentally collides with Rick Astley?

Rick will be a bit annoyed, maybe get a paper cut or a black eye, but otherwise unscathed.

• ♿ (Parody)

@The_Assimilator said:

Windows Update may be a PITA, but it works.

Until it doesn't, and you have to search for an obscure error code to find out that you have to download a FixIt because your update service doesn't know how to fucking update itself. And it only updates MS stuff, so I have to have a zillion poorly re-implemented update checkers.

@The_Assimilator said:

Unlike certain FOSS operating systems that don't even ship with auto-update functionality installed by default.

I typically avoid those, too, but at least their update systems cover most of the installed software.

• @boomzilla said:

And it only updates MS stuff, so I have to have a zillion poorly re-implemented update checkers.

1. It's not Microsoft's responsibility to keep third-party applications up to date.
    2. If Microsoft were to open the Windows Update API to third parties, who and how would that be policed to prevent WU from becoming the world's premier malware vector? (Note, Linux doesn't have this problem because no-one writes malware for Linux because Linux users are broke hippies.)

If you have an answer to (2), feel free to let MS know, I'm sure they'd be very interested.

• ♿ (Parody)

@The_Assimilator said:

It's not Microsoft's responsibility to keep third-party applications up to date.

I'm feeling like going full blakeyrant here. No one is suggesting they do so. However, they have some sort of update service built into the OS, which third parties could hook into.

@The_Assimilator said:

If Microsoft were to open the Windows Update API to third parties, who and how would that be policed to prevent WU from becoming the world's premier malware vector? (Note, Linux doesn't have this problem because no-one writes malware for Linux because Linux users are broke hippies.)

This is a classic Raymond Chen-style "other side of the airtight hatch" fallacy. And you clearly have no clue WTF you're talking about.

@The_Assimilator said:

If you have an answer to (2), feel free to let MS know, I'm sure they'd be very interested.

I'm sure they wouldn't. They have already implemented security stuff so that only authorized (by local / domain / whatever) admins can do certain tasks. Why should I tell them about it? I'm sure they understand it better than I will ever want to.

• @rad131304 said:

My Win 7 box does (work, home, and personal laptop). Granted, my accounts on those boxes have passwords. And my home box has multiple accounts on it. IIRC, my old Win XP box did, too.

• @boomzilla said:

I just rebooted my Win7 laptop and I get a screen saying "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on." Which is what I recall since, like, NT 3.5 or whatever that was back then.

This depends on the configuration of the box. It can either display the prompt for CTRL+ALT+DEL, or just display available user accounts. I think it's based on whether you use local or domain logins, but it might be based on some other setting.

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

I think it's based on whether you use local or domain logins, but it might be based on some other setting.

Right, but I would consider either of those to be login screens.

• @ender said:

Always, if your account is password-protected.

Well, I meant the page that actually had the username and password fields. I've never seen I don't recall ever seeing a machine boot drop a user directly on that screen. Even when you resume, it drops you to some form of "machine is locked" screen. Before 8, it the boot page was "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log on" or some such phrasing (if you had a password). The new screen gives no indication about what to do, which is pretty undiscoverable until you get angry with rage and double click or hit ESC.

• That is what I like about Linux and Mac OS. No reboots required.

Disclaimer: Not as frequent time as windows

• @boomzilla said:

@The_Assimilator said:
    If Microsoft were to open the Windows Update API to third parties, who and how would that be policed to prevent WU from becoming the world's premier malware vector? (Note, Linux doesn't have this problem because no-one writes malware for Linux because Linux users are broke hippies.)

This is a classic Raymond Chen-style "other side of the airtight hatch" fallacy. And you clearly have no clue WTF you're talking about.

There are two options for allowing third-party apps to deliver updates through Windows Update:

1. Microsoft actively checks and verifies EVERY SINGLE UPDATE for EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION to ensure that no malware/breakage gets through.
    2. Microsoft doesn't give a shit and lets any Tom, Dick and Harry push their shit through WU.

The former scenario is ridiculous because Microsoft doesn't have the time, money, resources, or caring to vet every non-Microsoft update that comes down the pipe. The second scenario is ridiculous firstly because Microsoft aren't stupid enough to let a highly trusted update vector like WU be compromised in any way, shape or form; and secondly because they don't want to be blamed when Company X pushes a broken update and people blame Microsoft/WU for the breakage. Given you quoted Raymond Chen, I assume you know how often his blog posts involve people blaming Windows for things it's not responsible for? Imagine that problem magnified a hundred-fold and you can understand why MS don't feel very charitable towards third-party devs.