It's 2014, this IT problem should be solved by now...

• @boomzilla said:

And I can't boot OSX from my machine in any case.

return it to apple. They will fix it for you.

• Considered Harmful

@The_Assimilator said:

Microsoft actively checks and verifies EVERY SINGLE UPDATE for EVERY SINGLE APPLICATION to ensure that no malware/breakage gets through and charges each vendor an exorbitant subscription fee for the privilege.

FTFY

Now it's a new revenue stream.

Edit: Isn't this basically what Apple does for IOS apps?

• @boomzilla said:

Hmm...I'm getting memories now...I think I may have disabled this as Windows did strange things to the disk, especially when you dual boot.

Yeah, fast startup is inadvisable if you dual-boot because it's basically logout+hybernate.@dhromed said:

I've never heard of this and haven't seen it anywhere in settings. Is it on by default?
    It's new in Windows 8, and on by default. You can configure it on Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do.

• ♿ (Parody)

@The_Assimilator said:

The former scenario is ridiculous because Microsoft doesn't have the time, money, resources, or caring to vet every non-Microsoft update that comes down the pipe.

Yes, I can't imagine anyone seriously proposing this.

@The_Assimilator said:

The second scenario is ridiculous firstly because Microsoft aren't stupid enough to let a highly trusted update vector like WU be compromised in any way, shape or form; and secondly because they don't want to be blamed when Company X pushes a broken update and people blame Microsoft/WU for the breakage.

What a load of crap. Though to be fair, I agree this could happen if you allowed the brain dead people who allowed 8 to escape to be in charge of things. No one is saying that they aren't capable of screwing it up or of you not comprehending how it would be useful.

MS has actually taken a step in the right direction by having their store notify you of updates in a centralized manner. I find it hard to believe that they never got into having a standardized update mechanism in their OS given the problems with unpatched software.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Nagesh said:

return it to apple. They will fix it for you.

I cannot comprehend why I would want to do something like that.

• Or you can use KatMouse.

• @rad131304 said:

The new screen gives no indication about what to do, which is pretty undiscoverable until you get angry with rage and double click or hit

At first I thought you actually had to give it a drag-swoop with the mouse, like a finger on a tablet.

(I thought that because of some video of My Dad Using Windows 8 For The First Time I somehow glimpsed, and I didn't see what he was doing, but I did see the screen swooped up, thus colouring my expectations)

Second time, I realized I could press the Any key.

• @ender said:

It's new in Windows 8, and on by default.

I shut down my computer daily with Alt+F4 on the desktop (because as we've discussed, the usual method in 8.0 is El Retardo Supremos), so I don't suppose I get the Fast benefit. It's still pretty fast, though.

• @dhromed said:

At first I thought you actually had to give it a drag-swoop with the mouse, like a finger on a tablet.

That was the original intention (and how it worked in at least one of the public beta versions), but it was too indiscoverable (even though it started jumping up a bit if you clicked it too many times), so they changed it to only require a click or pressing of any key.
    @dhromed said:

I shut down my computer daily with Alt+F4 on the desktop (because as we've discussed, the usual method in 8.0 is El Retardo Supremos), so I don't suppose I get the Fast benefit.
    I think you do. Shutdown at least appears to take significantly longer without Fast startup (I'm not sure there's much actual difference, since hibernation takes some time, too, but the computer often appears that it's already off while it's still saving RAM contents to disk).

• You're right, the option is checked.

• @ender said:

That was the original intention (and how it worked in at least one of the public beta versions), but it was too indiscoverable (even though it started jumping up a bit if you clicked it too many times), so they changed it to only require a click or pressing of any key.

Ah, I learnt my bad habits on the public beta which explains why I didn't know that the Any key worked - Though, the beta did actually run better than Vista on the barebones laptop that I bought when Vista first came out, which I give it props for. That laptop was something like a 1.6GHz Celeron with 2GB of some godawfully slow RAM. That was my only experience running 8 without a touchscreen and it did suck a lot (bought a SurfaceRT just after launch which is a significantly more enjoyable way to use 8). Hot Corners and Charms were particularly annoying.

• Eh, Windows Updates could be worse, at least they force me to reboot once a month so that the ~12GB of memory used by my hundreds of Waterfox tabs is freed.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@rad131304 said:

Hot Corners and Charms were particularly annoying.

Yes. I've not used 8 much (I have other systems for normal use) but they're the things that it is most awkward to deal with (on a non-touch system). Like MS hadn't bothered to really road-test them with users using anything other than a touch device until rather too late in the development process, and discovered that mouse users really don't swipe anything with their rodents. Who would have guessed it?

• @rad131304 said:

Hot Corners

The inside corners on a dual-screen setup are the worst. I have to consciously think about where my mouse cursor is whenever I go from the left screen to the right, because if it's too high it'll get stuck on that corner and instead of clicking where I intended on the right screen, it'll close whatever I have open on the left.

• @dkf said:

Yes. I've not used 8 much (I have other systems for normal use) but they're the things that it is most awkward to deal with (on a non-touch system). Like MS hadn't bothered to really road-test them with users using anything other than a touch device until rather too late in the development process, and discovered that mouse users really don't swipe anything with their rodents. Who would have guessed it?

8.1 & 8.1 Update 1 solved a lot of those problems (finally). I don't have much issue using a mouse on it now when I do use one with my laptop, but charms still are annoying - I'm sure there's a keyboard shortcut for them but I'm far too lazy to attempt to figure it out so I just mash my fingers against the screen when I want them (which isn't often). It's getting to the point where I might be willing to recommend 8 to someone without a touchscreen ... as long as they aren't multi-monitor.

Ninja:

@hungrier said:

The inside corners on a dual-screen setup are the worst. I have to consciously think about where my mouse cursor is whenever I go from the left screen to the right, because if it's too high it'll get stuck on that corner and instead of clicking where I intended on the right screen, it'll close whatever I have open on the left.

It's the one thing that really keeps me from recommending 8 to anyone who doesn't have a touchscreen.

• @rad131304 said:

Though, the beta did actually run better than Vista on the barebones laptop that I bought when Vista first came out, which I give it props for. That laptop was something like a 1.6GHz Celeron with 2GB of some godawfully slow RAM.

I installed 8 (and then upgraded to 8.1) on a VIA VB8001 board - single-core Via Nano L2200 at 1.6GHz, 3GB RAM, and it's quite useable for browsing the web and checking e-mail. Had to use the Vista driver for on-board graphics, because the Windows 7 driver caused corruption (there's no Windows 8 driver).@hungrier said:
    Interesting, I really like this feature, since it's easier to target the close button on maximized programs now. I never had the mouse pointer get stuck in a corner when I didn't expect it to.

And they finally implemented taskbar on all screens (even if it does suffer from the same problem as UltraMon's taskbar - sometimes won't unhide when there are maximized programs).

@rad131304 said:

but charms still are annoying - I'm sure there's a keyboard shortcut for them
    WinC

• @rad131304 said:

It's getting to the point where I might be willing to recommend 8 to someone without a touchscreen ... as long as they aren't multi-monitor.

Why? My only complaint related to multiple monitors is that Aero Snap doesn't work on the border between monitors, but other than that, it's just fine.

@ender said:

WinC

I like how Microsoft, with all their focus on backwards compatibility, is progressively more insistent on the fact that all keyboards do have a Win key...

Filed under: i like my $10 clicky keyboard

• @Maciejasjmj said:

I like how Microsoft, with all their focus on backwards compatibility, is progressively more insistent on the fact that all keyboards do have a Win key..

Especially now that they are insistent that everything is a phone/tablet...

• BINNED

I use hot corners on Cinnamon and I find them useful even with a mouse. I don't know what they do on Win8 but I have top left set to open expo (show all workspaces with all windows in a grid) and top right for scale (show all windows on this workspace in a grid).

Much faster to find a specific window than alt-tabbing or hunting icons in the dock. Even more useful with the default taskbar which only shows windows from current workspace.

@Maciejasjmj said:

My only complaint related to multiple monitors is that Aero Snap doesn't work on the border between monitors, but other than that, it's just fine.

Works fine here. If I move a window the edge of the screen there's an amount of "resistance" to moving it to the other screen. Basically, you have to move your mouse an additional 10px (asspull, though I think it's configurable somewhere in dconf) worth in the direction of your second screen for it to not snap to edge. Once you get used to it, you instinctively move your mouse faster if you want to move the window to the second screen, or slower if you want it to snap. Actually, I think it also takes mouse speed into account, but I'm not sure.

I'd say we should suggest that to MS but... yeah, where do you post feedback that MS developers might read?

P.S. by "workspace" I mean a virtual desktop, not a screen

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Why? My only complaint related to multiple monitors is that Aero Snap doesn't work on the border between monitors, but other than that, it's just fine.

You can't drag it, but you can use the snap keyboard shortcut, Win+<- and Win+->, to snap to the monitor gutters.

• @oesor said:

You can't drag it, but you can use the snap keyboard shortcut, Win+<- and Win+->, to snap to the monitor gutters.

@Maciejasjmj said:

I like how Microsoft, with all their focus on backwards compatibility, is progressively more insistent on the fact that all keyboards do have a Win key...

Oh for fuck's sake...

• BINNED

@Maciejasjmj said:

And then you meet an asshole like me who keeps calling it the Super key.

Filed under: blame Gnome

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Use Win orWin, possibly several times.
    @Maciejasjmj said:

It's been a long time since I saw a keyboard without the Windows/command key. IIRC, the last thing I saw that didn't have them were some IBM ThinkPads

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Oh for fuck's sake...

What, you expect me to /read/ everything?

• @oesor said:

What, you expect me to /read/ everything?

It was more directed at Microsoft for disabling yet another functionality for me (and a damn useful one), but...

• @Onyx said:

I'd say we should suggest that to MS but... yeah, where do you post feedback that MS developers might read?

Maybe they could use their forum to track it.

• Considered Harmful

@DrakeSmith said:

No, only a retard would track bugs and feature requests using forum software.

Filed under: Looks more like a support forum, which is a more sane usage.

• For more info, see:

#ALSO

@DrakeSmith said:

Started a new topic:

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/microsofts-forum/767

• Considered Harmful

@riking said:

For more info, see:

So: TL;DR, if you want to store your files privately on the web, you should encrypt them yourself rather than trust a third party to do it for you. Who'da thunk?

• This post is deleted!

• @riking said:

FFS...

I noticed they had some spam on the fucking home page of their forum.

I went to the post, and there was a "Report as abuse" button. I clicked it and filled out the forum, and...

facepalm.png

TRWTF is using a UUID as a thread identifier

"butt lake"

• 🚽 Regular

@Onyx said:

And then you meet an asshole like me who keeps calling it the Super key.
    I like calling it WinKey.

Winkey, winkey 😉

@ben_lubar "The page at social.microsoft.com says OK."

• ♿ (Parody)

@error said:

So: TL;DR, if you want to store your files privately on the web, you should encrypt them yourself rather than trust a third party to do it for you. Who'da thunk?

Filed Under: Just use truecrypt

• @hungrier said:

Oh darn, I broke it, I'm so, so sorry...

Filed Under: we need a new tag cloud to attack

• That setting disables the charms bar, but not the sticky corners. I've looked into this before, and there is a registry hack that can disable the sticky corners (or more accurately, reduce the pixel size of the "barrier"), but for now I'm less bothered by occasionally accidentally closing Chrome than fiddling with per-user registry hacks on my work laptop.

Filed under: screen separation is a barrier to mousing

• You know what would be grand? If display driver installers didn't force your desktop icons from multiple monitors onto the single (primary) display. Yes, I'm looking at you nVIDIA, AMD's drivers are ass and even they got this right WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy in the world who uses my additional monitors to PUT ADDITIONAL SHIT ON.

You know what would be just peachy? If software from Mozilla could remember that it was on my secondary monitor when I closed it, and put itself there the next time I open it. Oh look there's a bug for this that's been open for almost a decade. A fucking DECADE people! Did multi-monitor support become an NP-hard problem while I wasn't looking? Or are Mozilla just this incompetent (hint: the latter is a rhetorical question).

• @The_Assimilator said:

You know what would be just peachy? If software from Mozilla could remember that it was on my secondary monitor when I closed it, and put itself there the next time I open it. Oh look there's a bug for this that's been open for almost a decade. A fucking DECADE people! Did multi-monitor support become an NP-hard problem while I wasn't looking? Or are Mozilla just this incompetent (hint: the latter is a rhetorical question).

I don't think I have a single browser that opens consistently on the monitor that it was last open on. It's usually a guessing game. With what browsers can do these days, you'd think this would have been solved a decade ago.

• ♿ (Parody)

@chubertdev said:

I don't think I have a single browser that opens consistently on the monitor that it was last open on. It's usually a guessing game. With what browsers can do these days, you'd think this would have been solved a decade ago.

I don't have this problem at all. I'm sure @The_Assimilator is on Windows. Are you, too? On KDE, it seems like my stuff always opens up where it should.

• Indeed.

• Works that way (i.e. correctly) on OSX, too. Even if I unplug the laptop, take it away and use it with only one screen, then come back and plug it back in to the external screen.

• @chubertdev said:

If software [...] could remember that it was on my secondary monitor when I closed it, and put itself there the next time I open it.

I have this with my VMWare client as it seems to go to the screen where the mouse pointer is currently. This despite me having it on my larger, secondary monitor all day every day.

• @da_Doctah said:

"Unable to delete/rename file xxxyyyzzz because it is in use by another program. Please stop the other program and try again."

With no indication of any kind what program is "using" my file.

Back in the day it was worse than that... Windows 9x would give you that and even if you turned on "show extensions", it would not include the extension, nor the folder name, so all you knew was that one of a couple of dozen files called "MyVisualStudioProject" dot something was jammed. (The default file naming conventions for VC++6 left you with a workspace called MyVisualStudioProject.dsw containing MyVisualStudioProject.dsp and possibly other projects, and MyVisualStudioProject.dsp would build MyVisualStudioProject.obj from MyVisualStudioProject.cpp, producing MyVisualStudioProject.bsc and possibly MyVisualStudioProject.cod or MyVisualStudioProject.lst as byproducts, then link the program producing MyVisualStudioProject.exe and MyVisualStudioProject.pdb, and a bundle of other files all matching MyVisualStudioProject.*. Several of them would be write-sharing-locked whenever the workspace was open, and some would be unreadable as well...)

• Considered Harmful

@Steve_The_Cynic said:

MyVisualStudioProject.cpp

@Steve_The_Cynic said:

would be unreadable as well

Write better code.

• @The_Assimilator said:

If display driver installers didn't force your desktop icons from multiple monitors onto the single (primary) display. Yes, I'm looking at you nVIDIA, AMD's drivers are ass and even they got this right WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy in the world who uses my additional monitors to PUT ADDITIONAL SHIT ON.

Would you prefer to have your icons go into the bit bucket whenever you don't work with your second monitor? Apparently nVidia installer needs to disconnect your second monitor for a second (not sure why - probably involves a shitload of low-level kernel code stuff), and for me, forcing icons back onto the working one is the lesser evil.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

Would you prefer to have your icons go into the bit bucket whenever you don't work with your second monitor?

Is it really the job of a video driver to manage desktop icons?

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Would you prefer to have your icons go into the bit bucket whenever you don't work with your second monitor?

My work system has multiple monitors with icons on both screens. I occasionally need to remotely connect to do some work that only requires one screen, and in those instances only the icons on my primary screen are visible. When I log in later, all the icons on my second monitor are still there. It's like magic! ✨

Basically, maybe at some point nVidia's practice of moving everything to the first monitor was actually helpful during driver installs, but I would say that it isn't necessary anymore.

• @error said:

Write better code.

Ha ha! Of course we both know that's not what I meant, but well seen. I need to be more careful how I phrase things... :(

• It's 2014 and we haven't learned to keep users away from things because it always seems to be the users that mess it up. Except when the software is TRWTF.

• Banned