What have you done?!

• @chubertdev said:

Jesus can't go hashing because the MFer's dead.

Haven't been to Philly. We have a transplant from DC here, he hasn't mentioned anything about Philly, so I assume that it's not worth going to.

Jesus can't go hashing 'cause he's only got 12 friends.

My brothers live in the Philly area and go every year. They keep trying to get me to go and can't understand why I'm always "busy" that weekend.

• @rad131304 said:

Jesus can't go hashing 'cause he's only got 12 friends.

My brothers live in the Philly area and go every year. They keep trying to get me to go and can't understand why I'm always "busy" that weekend.

Jesus can't go hashing because he's nailed to a cross.

Yeah, I usually avoid the big events like Betty Ford. I like the smaller crowds. Then again, where I live, we usually have 5-10 hashes a week, so it's easy to find what I like.

• God, the fucking brogrammers are here.

• Back on topic... I play piano/keyboard, though I'm way out of practice at the moment. I was also really into interactive fiction (text adventures) for a while, both playing and writing -- or at least attempting to write. I have a number of unfinished projects because, while the programming aspect comes naturally to me, it turns out that crafting a good story is a bit harder. I should really give it another go one of these days.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I was a lead bassist in a classical orchestra for a while. Gave up when my commute got too long.

• BINNED

I've been a disc-jockey on air (college -- heavy metal, progressive, and jazz slots), in dance clubs (old school beat mix) , in a biker bar (all the above styles, they like what they like... best bar I've ever worked in, bar none...). Statistical data wrangler, and glass work monkey for research microbiologists at UW Superior. Worked in mental health group homes as an on-site care provider for county facilities ( if I ever have a real mental health issue, I think I'd prefer the non-paranoid schizophrenia version). Spent time as both an enlisted and a cadet in the army. Currently do corporate accounting with coding on the side. Lately as a hobby, I have: spending money to fix things that keep breaking in the house.

• Oh, I thought they were talking about Geohashing.

• Banned

@skotl said:

the best forum software I'm currently using is at http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/ - doesn't reinvent everything, very accessible and doesn't get in the way.

Brb, opening new topic there on a bug I just experienced, when I get to the bottom of a page, no new content loads.

• @dhromed said:

What do you do?

I too potter about with wood. The thing I'm most proud of is a coffee table that's covered with beer labels that I collected from Australia, US, Canada and the rest of the world via Dan Murphy's.

I've also helped build sets for a local amateur theatre company, as well as doing the website and front of house. I'm trying to compile a complete history of all the shows we've put on in the last 12 years from a box of programmes, minutes from meetings and the Google. It's going quite well but I need to crack on with it again.

Don't play the guitar although I did violin at school but I dropped it because lessons clashed with Dangermouse.

• Technically, I'm better defined as a hooligan. I do a lot more playing and watching of soccer than bro-ing out playing GameCube and listening to Jack Johnson. I don't own a visor and don't like Natural Ice. Also, not a fan of Axe Body Spray.

Filed Under: Derrick Comedy FTW

• kills Dumbledore

@cconroy said:

Back on topic

You must be new here

• @rad131304 said:

watching of soccer

I only watch Starcraft matches.

• When I was 16 I worked at the hardware store in my home town. Building random shit for people is what made me sure that going into engineering was a good idea. Dudes come in holding some obscure broken thing that I didn't even know existed ten minutes ago and the only reason they're there is that they've reached that "I give up" moment of despair to the point that they're willing to ask a high school kid for help.

At that point I could either shrug and sweep the floor, or decide that even though I have no idea what the guy is talking about, I'm in a store full of arbitrary, overly-specific junk and if I glue enough of it together it'll make his problem slightly better. Probably.

Going on a hunch, Frankensteining something vaguely similar to a medieval torture device and emasculating/saving the day for some suburban "handyman" whose wife is going to leave him if he doesn't fix the goddamn toilet right goddamn NOW? Most satisfying feeling ever.

The funny part is that to this day I'd rather nearly kill myself trying to build or fix something I don't fully understand than pay someone else to do it... and now that I'm the suburban handyman with a wife, she hates it and would rather I just let some "professional" handle it. Figures.

• @subscript_error said:

At that point I could either shrug and sweep the floor, or decide that even though I have no idea what the guy is talking about, I'm in a store full of arbitrary, overly-specific junk and if I glue enough of it together it'll make his problem slightly better. Probably.

Man, you're the treasure to society. Seriously.

My experience with hardware and electronic store workers (especially in the second case) is that they're mindless drones going by the algorithm of "I have drawers filled with shit. You give me the name, I find the drawer with the right label and bring you shit from it". You "just want a goddamn Schmitt trigger"? Too bad, you better remember it's 74HC14 or they'll just go "wha?" until you give them what they need.

• Oh yeah. Once I got older I realized that you were supposed to slack off and jerk around during retail work - never got that memo when I was a teenager, I guess.

A few years ago some dipshit in Home Depot actually answered his damn phone while I was in the middle of asking him where something or another could be found. Said a few choice words (which I'm sure he ignored), abandoned my cart in the aisle and walked out. Never shopped at a Home Depot since.

Filed under: Irrational overreactions are the best overreactions

• Considered Harmful

@subscript_error said:

slack off and jerk around

Just don't mix those two up.

@subscript_error said:

A few years ago some dipshit in Home Depot actually answered his damn phone while I was in the middle of asking him where something or another could be found. Said a few choice words (which I'm sure he ignored), abandoned my cart in the aisle and walked out. Never shopped at a Home Depot since.

Somewhere on NotAlwaysRight:

I was at work one day at Home Depot, my wife at home was nine months pregnant. I was helping a customer find some industrial-grade latex-safe lubricant, and my cellphone begins to ring. My wife knows better than to call me at work except for an emergency, so I knew she must be going into labor!
    Meanwhile this asshole cusses me out and walks out the door, even leaves his cart in the aisle.

• This post is deleted!

• In no particular order:

Juggling teacher, tightrope walker, stage manager, kite designer, speed skater, ice hockey player, chairlift driver, house painter, lighting engineer, pickaxe wielder, cycle and motorcycle courier, welder, forklift driver, mechanic...

...and still learning new skills.

• Banned

I moved 30 posts to a new topic: New user indicators and post counts

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

I have a theater degree. I enjoy costuming :)

@codinghorror said:

I moved 30 posts to a new topic: New user indicators and post counts

I love that this is @codinghorror's contribution to the "what have you done?" thread.

Filed under: "...yeah I tend to move topics and re-categorise things for funsies. Oh and I made some Q&A website a while back and have some blog thingy named after part of a book..."

@Yamikuronue said:

I enjoy costuming

Do you make them, wear them, or both?

Assuming you mean "make them"; my girlfriend is also into crafting. She spins wool, knits it, crochets, and also does sewing. As you can imagine, the house is full of wool, fabric, all sorts of other crafting stuff, and a metric fuckton of half finished projects that she's got bored of.

I think it's really cool that she can actually make useful stuff. The only things I ever make only exist electronically. I really need to take up a practical hobby like carpentry, building, or welding. You know, something practical.

Both :) I've got an office that's full of a mix of fabrics and computer parts tossed about willy-nilly. It's due for a reorg soon, I've got new furniture still in the box to store this stuff in >.>

• BINNED

@Yamikuronue said:

Both I've got an office that's full of a mix of fabrics and computer parts tossed about willy-nilly. It's due for a reorg soon, I've got new furniture still in the box to store this stuff in >.>

The solution is obvious: time to make a Borg costume.

@Yamikuronue said:

Both I've got an office that's full of a mix of fabrics and computer parts tossed about willy-nilly. It's due for a reorg soon, I've got new furniture still in the box to store this stuff in >.>

I've got an office like that too, my computer bits and her fabric stuff! We're currently looking for a place, we're going to sort out a crafting room for her so she can do projects more easily.

Have you got a blog or anything where we can see some of your creations? I'm sure my gf would be interested. 😄

@Onyx said:

The solution is obvious: time to make a Borg costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhqVfVMqtTE

Filed under: I'd seven her nine!

• ♿ (Parody)

@DoctorJones said:

Filed under: I'd seven her nine!

Filed Under: Misandry!, Wait, what?

• I guess I'm too busy tending to the Likes thread to notice threads like this.

Main job is some strange combination of developer and IT at a small company that produces avionics testing hardware and associated SDKs. Mostly I seem to manage the automated build system, testing (unit tests and project samples), production packaging, and lately I'm trying to fix up certain project configurations to simplify a number of things. I also have a side thing going with a video game I'm developing which I recently posted a new thread about.

I play electric guitar, got a Van Halen-syle frankenstrat and an old Marshall stack from 1977. Mostly into 1980's hard rock/heavy metal, I probably know more Metallica riffs than anything else but also know some Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, and Megadeth. Somehow whenever I actually perform for a gig or two, I always play bass.

I'm also into production and live audio, mostly with churches and other ministries. Anything from setup and teardown, equipment planning, being part of the stage crew, to running the front-of-house mixer.

I ride dirt bikes but unfortunately my current trail system is literally underwater. I have a Honda CRF250L that's street-legal, I get 60 mpg to and from work, and get to ride woods trails on the weekends.

And of course gaming. Current games on my list include Torchlight II, PlanetSide 2, Minecraft, and Space Engineers. I run dedicated servers for both Minecraft and Space Engineers as part of a closed gaming community for friends and friends-of-friends.

• @DoctorJones said:

I really need to take up a practical hobby like carpentry, building, or welding

My unwanted friendly piece of advice is that all these stuff are hard. Take hobby that will not hurt yourself or others, like drawing with charcoal. It is great hobby and some people can even sell what you create with your bare hands and a little bit of charcoal.

Fixed Spelling Again. Thx to @locallunatic

@Nagesh said:

bear hands

Bears have paws, not hands.

• ♿ (Parody)

@dkf said:

Bears have paws, not hands.

I know of one bear who has a phone and a pen.

Filed Under: And it's loose!

• @Nagesh said:

It is great hobby and some people can even sell what you create with your beer hands and a little bit of charcoal.

Fixed Spelling.

The word you want is "bare".

Yes; you can reach it at radiantvanguard.no-ip.org (unless microsoft decided it's malware today)

• And even if they haven't, there's no guarantee their servers can handle the load anyway from what I gather.