How is Internet get?

• Notification Spam Recipient

Continuing the discussion from Status: we joined the cooties:

@LB_ said:

@Tsaukpaetra said:
    Because that's technically incorrect.

Huh? No really, I was there the whole time. We unplugged the coaxial cable from our AT&T modem and plugged it into our new Netgear CM500, then the on-site tech from Time Warner called in and read off the MAC address. Bam, 10x better internet speeds through the exact same cable. After that we gathered the AT&T modem + the DVR and called AT&T to let them know why we were cancelling.

I'm pretty sure there is a miscommunication here but I don't know where it is.

So because my mind is so much more interested in this conversation that my financial homework, lets start a thread!

Discussing migration from AT&T to Time Warner (Assuming Triple-Play,i.e. Phone, Internet, Cable on both services).

To begin: Which AT&T Modem dodid you have?

A. 2Wire RG (Older)

B: Motorola RG

C: Something else

• We have gone through several modems because the old model had a habit of resetting for no apparent reason. I don't remember the old model, but the new model was a Motorola NVG599 or something. Not sure about the 599 part. When we upgraded to the Motorola we used all the same cables, including that coaxial cable in the diagram. (This is all before the Time Warner switch.)

Also, we only had TV&Internet and when we switched to Time Warner we went Internet only.

@LB_ said:

Motorola NVG

So... This (Option B, slightly different)?

That still requires connection to the phone jack in the wall, the Coax there is for the HPNA to send to the Set-Top boxes.

Essentially, all AT&T Uverse Residential Gateways hook up the same way. With exception to a few specific ones, they all have the green jack (goes to the wall), and everything else is output to devices...

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

So... This (Option B, slightly different)?

I think ours was thicker, but yes it looks mostly the same. I don't remember if all the same ports were there.

@Tsaukpaetra said:

they all have the green jack (goes to the wall), and everything else is output to devices...

Our cable is white, but I think it does go into the green plug in the modem. As of right now we are not using it. Both the white cable and the coax cable go to a port on the wall and can both be easily removed or swapped out. I was always under the impression that we got internet through the coax and that the other cable was HPNA, but maybe not...?

Also I asked and apparently there was a step I was not involved with and didn't see, the guy from Time Warner went outside our house to do something to the box out there, I guess maybe he switched over the coax or something? Either way, it's a piece of information I left out - sorry.

@LB_ said:

guy from Time Warner went outside our house to do something to the box out there,

Yeah, he was likely reversing the coax splitter so that instead of that line (previously going to your modem) providing the TV signals, it was Time Warner.

@LB_ said:

Our cable is white,
    ah, legacy wiring (I think you mentioned). Yeah, customers seem to be very confused, so about four years ago most DSL providers started switching to using Green cables for "the Internet wire". It made instructions easier for sure: "plug Green wire into Green Jack, and the other end plug into phone Jack on Wall."

The world has righted itself! Thanks for your understanding and patience.

• ... coaxial and phone jacks? IDK US ISPs, but that's weird.

... wait a second, my DOCSIS modem has a phone jack too... I'm going to guess it's an FXS then?

• BINNED

@NTAuthority said:

... wait a second, my DOCSIS modem has a phone jack too... I'm going to guess it's an FXS then?

I'm gonna assume it's an ADSL modem? Are you still running your phone through a splitter then?