Tables = Turned

• When's the last time Apple announced a thing that wasn't a ripoff of a thing Microsoft did 6 months previous?

• area_can

Feature = unused

• Lick = My Ass

• @blakeyrat said:

When's the last time Apple announced a thing that wasn't a ripoff of a thing Microsoft did 6 months previous?

#JOKE 1
    Well, sometimes they announce things that Microsoft already did 3 months previous.

#JOKE 2
    Well, sometimes they announce things that Google already did 2 years previous.

#JOKE 3
    Didn't they announce that they don't want to break their own hardware encryption? I don't think Microsoft has ever had that problem.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

I are disappoint, this was not a poll.

• Ok Google doesn't have a woman's name therefore it's stupid and lame. Also you're the only one in the world who uses Chrome OS.

• Sometimes they're just shockingly and hilariously late to add the most basic features.

One of Lion’s new features brings custom colors to desktop backgrounds in Mac OS X. In previous versions you were only allowed to use one of the provided solid colors which didn’t really give users many options when it came to customizing the background’s color.

OS X Lion came out in 2011.

@blakeyrat said:

When's the last time Apple announced a thing that wasn't a ripoff of a thing Microsoft did 6 months previous?

How is Cortana not a blatant ripoff of Siri in the first place?

• That goes into the category "features they REMOVED from Mac". Since Classic had it. Or, put another way, a 10-year-long regression finally got gradually fixed.

• @Polygeekery said:

@blakeyrat said:

Cortana first appeared in 2001 for the Xbox though. 🎣

• @Polygeekery said:

Because Cortana goes into a little SD card and plugs into Master Chief's helmet and Siri can't do that. Also Cortana did this weird thing in Halo 4 where she was like made from Doctor Whatsername's DNA even though she's a computer program and that makes less than zero sense and then she cloned herself then somehow made a light bridge into a nuke-proof shield but it was confusing and Halo 4 sucked, so whatever.

I haven't played Halo 5 yet.

@mott555 said:

Cortana first appeared in 2001 for the Xbox though. 🎣

@blakeyrat said:

Because Cortana goes into a little SD card and plugs into Master Chief's helmet and Siri can't do that. Also Cortana did this weird thing in Halo 4 where she was like made from Doctor Whatsername's DNA even though she's a computer program and that makes less than zero sense and then she cloned herself then somehow made a light bridge into a nuke-proof shield but it was confusing and Halo 4 sucked, so whatever.

👍

Another difference: I have experience with Siri, so I know she needs to die in a fire and is less than useless. I have not used Cortana.

• @Polygeekery said:

I have not used Cortana.

Me neither. My cell phone carrier is dumb and refuses to upgrade past Windows Phone 8.0, which is pre-Cortana. All my Windows 10 PCs obviously have Cortana, but they don't have microphones so I can't use it anyway, though Cortana takes up a stupid amount of taskbar space for a feature that I literally can't use anyway.

• @blakeyrat said:

It's basically Rocky V, from everything I've heard. 343 is not Bungie. Of course, it seems like Bungie isn't Bungie anymore, either.

• Halo 3 was clearly the end of the series but Microsoft wanted to keep milking the franchise.

I played a little bit of Halo 4 but I don't have an Xbox anymore. I didn't even know about Halo 5 until yesterday.

• @blakeyrat said:

you're the only one in the world who uses Chrome OS

Liar

• Notification Spam Recipient

@mott555 said:

Cortana takes up a stupid amount of taskbar space

Right-click the taskbar, turn off the search toolbar?

• @BaconBits said:

It's basically Rocky V, from everything I've heard. 343 is not Bungie.

Well derp. You realize 343 made Halo 4 as well, right?

@BaconBits said:

Of course, it seems like Bungie isn't Bungie anymore, either.

No. They used to make fun games, now they're just flogging this dumb Destiny psuedo-MMO everybody hates. Yeah it was fun for like 4-5 hours, but Jesus, Bungie, there ain't no content.

@mott555 said:

Halo 3 was clearly the end of the series but Microsoft wanted to keep milking the franchise.

Halo 3 was actually worse than Halo 4, IMO.

Proof: I can still talk about events that happened in Halo 4.

Halo 3 was so bland and generic I can't remember literally a single thing about it. NOT A SINGLE THING. And even worse, it was coming after Halo 2, still possibly the best-written video games of all time.

BTW, they're adding Arbiter to Killer Instinct, for some reason. Skipping Master Chief but adding Arbiter kind of tells you that, hm, maybe other people also recognize Halo 2 as being clearly the best.

They didn't get his armor right, though. I mean, the whole point of Arbiter is he wears that beat-up busted-ass armor with bits missing. The Killer Instinct one is wearing pristine new armor. Feh.

• @blakeyrat said:

I mean, the whole point of Arbiter is he wears that beat-up busted-ass armor with bits missing. The Killer Instinct one is wearing pristine new armor. Feh.

In Halo 5, it doesn't look like arbiter is missing any bits from his armor any more, but it is clearly not in pristine shape. Makes me wonder if he's supposed to have made some repairs since the Sangheili started their war to be freed from the Covenant. He definitely made a change to his energy sword. In Halo 5, his sword is yellow (looks like it is in that Killer Instinct shot, too), while every other Sangheili uses a blue energy sword.

• @abarker said:

In Halo 5, it doesn't look like arbiter is missing any bits from his armor any more, but it is clearly not in pristine shape.

Is Arbiter even allowed to repair the Arbiter armor?

I mean, you'd assume there's a reason the Prophets gave it to him with all the old bulletholes and such still in it, right...?

Then again, he's also supposed to die in his first mission, and he managed to not do that, so.

@abarker said:

He definitely made a change to his energy sword. In Halo 5, his sword is yellow (looks like it is in that Killer Instinct shot, too), while every other Sangheili uses a blue energy sword.

If the sword comes with the armor, it'd be a older model than the ones the other Sangheili are carrying.

BTW, now that I know Arbiter's in Halo 5 I really want to play it. Even though I know I'll be disappointed by its gibberish plot-hole-ridden story.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mott555 said:

Cortana takes up a stupid amount of taskbar space

ENOREPRO

• I think it takes up one square slot on a computer with a touchscreen. (i.e. one Windows considers a tablet.) Unless you right-click and select "hide" and then it's gone forever.

@blakeyrat said:

I think it takes up one square slot on a computer with a touchscreen. (i.e. one Windows considers a tablet.)

Could be, I don't have one. On a regular desktop/laptop with an non-touchscreen monitor, you have to turn off the huge box. I like the search, at least when looking for programs to run, so I didn't hide it, but the box is a bit large.

• Or, better yet, completely remove it from windows all together: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/

Then add Spybot-AntiBeacon to block "Telemetry": https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Nothing like nuking that shit from orbit

• Java Dev

@mott555 said:

All my Windows 10 PCs obviously have Cortana, but they don't have microphones so I can't use it anyway

My Windows 10 PC does have a microphone, but I still cannot use Cortana because it's not supported in The Netherlands, I'm using an English-language Windows rather than a Dutch one, and I'm not logging in with a Microsoft account.

• @blakeyrat said:

Is Arbiter even allowed to repair the Arbiter armor?

I mean, you'd assume there's a reason the Prophets gave it to him with all the old bulletholes and such still in it, right...?

Yeah, the Prophets did give it to him with all sorts of apparent[1] battle damage, but I'm not sure that he or the Sangheili even care any more. After all, they are fighting a war against the Covenant.

@blakeyrat said:

If the sword comes with the armor, it'd be a older model than the ones the other Sangheili are carrying.

Yeah, but in Halo 2, it still looked like all the other swords, so it seemed a notable difference.

[1] I say apparent because there was an Arbiter in Halo Wars as well, which was supposed to take place about 20 years before the first Halo. That Arbiter and his armor were lost inside of a Forerunner shield world discovered by a small Covenant force and the UNSC Spirit of Fire. At the end of the game, the Covenant forces were wiped out, and the Spirit of Fire was left limping back to known space without a hyperdrive. It is highly unlikely that the armor worn by the Arbiter from the main Halo games is the same armor as that worn by the Arbiter in Halo Wars. I think that the Prophets made "ancient" armor as needed, perhaps even making it look battle worn.

• @hungrier said:

Sometimes they're just shockingly and hilariously late to add the most basic features.

One of Lion’s new features brings custom colors to desktop backgrounds in Mac OS X. In previous versions you were only allowed to use one of the provided solid colors which didn’t really give users many options when it came to customizing the background’s color.

On Windows, the workarounds would've been a single-pixel bitmap set to whatever color you wanted and then tiled or stretched to fill the desktop. Or there'd be some workaround that involved modifying a hex color code in RegEdit.

At the very least, I think the bitmap workaround would've worked on OS X.

• @ben_lubar said:

Didn't they announce that they don't want to break their own hardware encryption? I don't think Microsoft has ever had that problem.

Wait: Did you mean Microsoft never had any hardware encryption? Or did you mean Microsoft never had any problems with breaking their hardware encryption? Or did you mean, Microsoft never had any problems "servicing" the government?

You can answer, "Yes!" if you want to.

A joke built on top of a joke...that's reuse!

• @abarker said:

Yeah, the Prophets did give it to him with all sorts of apparent[1] battle damage, but I'm not sure that he or the Sangheili even care any more. After all, they are fighting a war against the Covenant.

This goes back to me not remembering even slightly the events of Halo 3.

But yes, I guess there's no reason he'd give a shit what the Prophets think the title "Arbiter" means after they broke away.

@abarker said:

It is highly unlikely that the armor worn by the Arbiter from the main Halo games is the same armor as that worn by the Arbiter in Halo Wars. I think that the Prophets made "ancient" armor as needed, perhaps even making it look battle worn.

Or maybe they kept a few different sets in rotation. Although they did have it displayed in museum as if it were a "thing", so, who knows.

After Halo 2 the answer is certainly: the writers haven't thought about it because they handed over the series to idiots.

• @CoyneTheDup said:

You can answer, "Yes!" if you want to.

What if I don't want to?

• @ben_lubar said:

What if I don't want to?

Well, then don't. In fact, you don't even have to answer...I implicated Microsloth enough by even asking the questions.

• To be fair, it was a pretty obvious step. You have a phone app, people like it. You port it to desktop. That's good.

In fact, shouldn't this happen with all the phone apps?

That was a trick question. The real answer is that all apps should be able to run on all devices that have the necessary hardware capabilities.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@WernerCD said:

Or, better yet, completely remove it from windows all together:

🎵 My version doesn't even have the ability to get it installed 🎵

@anonymous234 said:

That was a trick question. The real answer is that all apps should be able to run on all devices that have the necessary hardware capabilities.

Which is why MS came up with Windows RT...oh...nevermind. That is still a sore spot.

• @hungrier said:

Sometimes they're just shockingly and hilariously late to add the most basic features.

A blatant lie! On the internet! How can this be?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I could change the background to any picture in 10.4, perhaps 10.5.

• You probably could, but the ability to pick solid colours from the colour picker was one of the highlights

• FoxDev

@hungrier said:

You probably could, but the ability to pick solid colours from the colour picker was one of the highlights

so?

1x1 px BMP in the appropriate colour tiled wasn't good enough as a background image?!

• Apparently it was enough of a problem that it was the second most important System Preferences feature in the new version, even more so than the horrible "natural" scrolling that became the shitty default that everyone changes. (Or the ability to change it back, which really is the most important thing about the feature)

• The natural scroll thing does make sense if you're using your finger on the screen. Hell, Windows 10 does that. (Unless the thing you touch is the actual thumb of the scrollbar, then it (the thumb) works as expected.)

What I don't understand is why anybody at Apple thinks it makes sense while using a mouse or trackpad. And I also don't understand why there's only ONE checkbox for this instead of a box for Touchscreen, Mouse/Trackball, Trackpad.

@blakeyrat said:

What I don't understand is why anybody at Apple thinks it makes sense while using a mouse or trackpad.

It works very well using a trackpad. It sucks with a mouse. Funny that.

• It works in the sense that you can scroll using it and it doesn't brick your system. But whether it's on a trackpad or mouse, scrolling up to scroll down doesn't make sense the way it does on a touch screen, where you're directly interacting with the content.

• @dkf said:

It works very well using a trackpad. It sucks with a mouse.

Both a trackpad and a mouse are the exact same kind of pointing device, so whether it "works" I guess is a matter of opinion. For me, I expect a trackpad to behave the same as a mouse, and so my brain fails to scroll correctly on Macs every goddamned time. (And, in any case, I'm 95% sure Macs apply this dumb reverse-scrolling logic to actual mouses too.)

Apparently LITERALLY EVERY PC LAPTOP MANUFACTURER agrees with me (nothing's stopping them from implementing it; but they don't), so that's an awful lot of people saying Apple is wrong in the most practical way possible.

@hungrier said:

But whether it's on a trackpad or mouse, scrolling up to scroll down doesn't make sense the way it does on a touch screen, where you're directly interacting with the content.

But I'm scrolling down to scroll down. It just happens to map to an opposite action to the one you're used to. It's a learned action; you can adapt and in fact can adapt quickly. (Also, OSX seems to have better trackpad handling than any version of Windows I've tried, but that excludes Win10 as I've not got one of those systems yet. I expect Windows to have much better touchscreen handling.)

• But why should I adapt to :doing_it_wrong: when there's a setting to make it work the right way in the first place?

• @hungrier said:

there's a setting to make it work the right way in the first place?

NOW there is.

• @blakeyrat said:

Ok Google doesn't have a woman's name therefore it's stupid and lame.

Ok Google, Siri, and Cortana are really just providing speech recognition and text-to-speech wrappers around what Google's search has been doing for years prior.

Semantic search.

• Pfft. And those internal combustion engines are just turning wheels, the way horses have done for centuries. NO INNOVATION THERE.

Did you know when locomotives were being thunk-up, there was a legit scientific debate over whether wheels, provided torque from an engine, could move a vehicle? Like, the assumption was that since all previous vehicles had been towed by legged animals, that's the only configuration that worked correctly.

• Both "natural" scrolling and the setting to disable it were introduced in Lion.