Super Mariux and an untold story yet to be written

• Continuing the discussion from TDWTF Forum FAQ:

@jaming said:

@boomzilla said:
    But other stuff is just them doing things that don't scale.

This seems like the biggest pitfall open source projects tend to fall into. They don't think about scale until they are too tied to an architecture that doesn't. I am looking at you Mondrain!

How would you guys advise me for scaling up what I'm currently calling Mariox?

Eventually I might take another free time and continue to "advance" it, at least while I can see nothing better being done in the same direction, and what @jaming said there kept me wondering if I'm overlooking something for the current stage of its evolution. Hopefully I'm just worrying too much. 🐙

The untold story there is about how much I would change the whole basiux site to lean more towards #playescape and lessons from shark tank + dream stake london's google pitch experiences this past january. As much as it is about the Ai, it's just a tool for luckily reaching a better mental health through playing games and Mariux would be a version of Mariox's Tamagotchi in which the focus is way more on having fun rather than trying to be "educational". The neural network gui, which I thought would be essential to Mariox, must become part of the Mariux game or just forever stay hidden.

Too many words, didn't give a fuck; Don't bother then, and keep on moving! 🍰

• Dupa

@cregox said:

Too many words, didn't give a fuck; Don't bother then, and keep on moving! 🍰

Hey, you'll belong here before long! ❤

• area_deu

@kt_ said:

Hey, you'll belong here before long! ❤

We already have enough village idiots, thanks.

• @ChrisH said:

enough village

for one second there i thought you were going to say people. we can never have enough village!

• @cregox said:

First you may want to fix this shit, because while Mar/IO after some tweaks has no problem reaching 1-2 in 50 generations, your version gets hopelessly stuck somewhere around the second Goomba.

• 50 generations? think again, it has problems reaching 2 in 90 generations.

my version takes 90 hours in my machine to reach 90 generations and, with the current "bug", it can go through the first level in less than 30 generations or 8 hours, as it did so twice from experience. plus, even after 100 generations it still couldn't go through level 1... so maybe there is indeed an extra bug I'm overlooking.

in any case, this is actually a somewhat insightful thing to realize, although Seth probably already know about it and he just chose to build optimizing for best speed runs.

all that being said, I agree there are many bugs to be fixed still, @Maciejasjmj. are you suggesting it's crucial to be bug free before anything else for scaling up? is it even possible to reach such a nirvana state?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@kt_ said:

Hey, you'll belong here before long!

:do_not_want.pptx:

• Dupa

@ChrisH said:

We already have enough village idiots, thanks.

Who exactly? Surely not... the one whose name should not be pronounced.

• @cregox said:

I don't have a suggestion on scaling-up, other than to say since you're completely and blatantly stealing Nintendo's IP you probably don't want to scale-up to the point where they'd notice.

So I guess my suggestion would be: don't use IP you don't have permission to use?

@cregox said:

The untold story there is about how much I would change the whole basiux site to lean more towards #playescape and lessons from shark tank + dream stake london's google pitch experiences this past january.

I don't know what any of that stuff is.

@cregox said:

As much as it is about the Ai, it's just a tool for luckily reaching a better mental health through playing games and Mariux would be a version of Mariox's Tamagotchi in which the focus is way more on having fun rather than trying to be "educational".

... so my web browser has better mental health now?

So the idea is to improve your mental health via. playing games. Ok; that's a fine idea. Lots of games are designed to help deal with emotions, or to help people get over phobias, or what-not.

But... on this website you don't play the game. That seems to be the one fundamental thing about this website. So I don't get it.

@cregox said:

The neural network gui, which I thought would be essential to Mariox, must become part of the Mariux game or just forever stay hidden.

Did you ever play Galapagos?

That was a game where the gimmick was that the protagonist was controlled by a neural network (NERM, Neuro-Entropic Reduction Mapping), and your influence over it was very limited.

... it wasn't very fun. It also didn't help my mental health.

• @blakeyrat said:

But... on this website you don't play the game. That seems to be the one fundamental thing about this website. So I don't get it.

Well... bottom line is, the guy's convinced he'll develop the self-learning general purpose artificial intelligence to rule the world or something.

Problem is, his only claim to fame I can see so far is a JS port of someone else's simple neural network/genetic algorithm playing Mario. A port which somehow performs worse than the original, and also has a bunch of bugs.

Not terrible, but a loooong way ahead.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

bottom line is, the guy's convinced he'll develop the self-learning general purpose artificial intelligence to rule the world or something.

so much to fix in so little "bottom line" there:

• I'm convinced I'll help develop it - and maybe I already did. any contribution is worth something, what's to say where it all started? who can really tell? nobody, if you ask me.

• also not general purpose at all, AGI is weak compared to ASI.

• rule the world and something

but nice try! ;)

@blakeyrat said:

Did you ever play Galapagos?

nope. the video looks interesting. and boring.