Don't edit @blakeyrat's topic titles

• If people are changing the title of threads purely out of spite, there are too many utter dickholes gaining trust level 3.

Either TL3 should be made more difficult to obtain, it should not have the ability to edit thread titles, or it should not exist at all.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

If people are changing the title of threads purely out of spite

that's an odd way to phrase that.

are you leveling an accusation that this is happening or not?

If you are making such an accusation, can you provide some recent examples that issustrate your point?

out of context like this post it is is hard to put your coomment into perspective.

• @accalia said:

are you leveling an accusation that this is happening or not?

It happened a half hour ago.

• FoxDev

I noticed it happened to that Steam OS thread; someone edited in something about Linux being the best OS or something

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

I believe he's talking about adding the fire marker to the IRC thread. Or am I wrong?

• Notification Spam Recipient

I agree with Blakey. Scrolling down the list of threads trying to remember which ones you're reading is a pain in the bollox without trying to identify which ones have a new cunty name.

@Yamikuronue said:

I believe he's talking about adding the fire marker to the IRC thread. Or am I wrong?
    No. That would be useful so you know when to avoid going into dodge.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

It happened a half hour ago.

ah, so it happened while i was in a meeting and not following the forum.

so that answers the accusation part of it.

now can you provide some examples? Assuming these are your threads neither I nor any other person of less than TL4 have access to your edit history to see these "spite edits"

without examples all we have is your word that they occured.

I mean no offense here, I merely wish for more information so i can examine the situation and arive and an informed conclusion.

• That's the one that happened about a half an hour ago.

It's not the first time it's happened to one of my threads, however. AccaliaRaceProUK's example about the SteamOS one was the most blatant. (But I'm not sure that change was due to spite, or due to some humorless dick thinking they were being funny. The one that happened a half an hour ago was definitely due to spite and definitely done by a dickhole.)

• FoxDev

And it appears to have happened again to this thread

Adding the flame marker has become the forum shorthand for "This thread got nasty". For a while there, it did. I personally don't have a problem with the flame marker.

Changing titles out of spite seems like posting nasty things out of spite or any other spiteful action: generally a shitty thing to do. Changing titles for humor purposes I don't have a problem with. We typically take a light hand with moderation unless someone gets particularly shitty, so I figure resolve this kind of thing like any other problem: flag it.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Accalia's example about the SteamOS one

... who me?

i'm the one asking for examples in an attempt to gain information!

• FoxDev

He meant my example, and while I don't have proof (insufficient access), I do remember it happening

• @Yamikuronue said:

Adding the flame marker has become the forum shorthand for "This thread got nasty".

Yes, I know. I still don't want it done to my threads without being asked permission first. Especially when I don't even slightly agree that the thread is a flamewar. (The IRC thread is certainly not one, in my opinion.)

@Yamikuronue said:

I personally don't have a problem with the flame marker.

I don't have a problem with the marker. I have a problem with people changing my thread titles without asking me.

@Yamikuronue said:

Changing titles out of spite seems like posting nasty things out of spite or any other spiteful action: generally a shitty thing to do.

No shit.

@Yamikuronue said:

Changing titles for humor purposes I don't have a problem with.

Nor do I; I do mind if it's done to my thread titles without my permission, though. You seem to be missing the point of my complaint here.

@Yamikuronue said:

We

Who is "we"? Are you a moderator now? When did that happen?

@Yamikuronue said:

so I figure resolve this kind of thing like any other problem: flag it.

A flag won't do any good; they still have TL3 and I only have a 5-day (or whatever it is) edit window. They simply need to wait me out, then they can change it and I can't change it back. Unless you're willing to remove TL3 from these people, which I highly doubt you are.

The problem here is really just the same gamification problem in microcosm. Gaining TL3 doesn't have anything to do with being trusted by anybody at all. Any moron can do it, in a week. Easily. That doesn't mean I trust those people to edit my thread titles, or at all really. It just means some idiot piece of software declare they were trustworthy because they clicked a certain button a certain amount of times. Fuck that noise.

See if you're a moderator, that's fine. I trust you. I've spoken to you a lot of times and gotten to know what you're like. (Although it would have been nice if you told someone about it.) I don't trust rc4. I never will. And I don't want him to have the ability to edit my fucking thread titles, because he's a dickhole.

The title chagned from:

Steam based their OS on Linux, so of course it's broken shit

to:

Steam based their OS on Linux, so of course it's better than Windows 8

• @accalia said:

... who me?

Oop, sorry. Got the wrong name.

@blakeyrat said:

Are you a moderator now?

Yup

@blakeyrat said:

When did that happen?

Recently. I'm still learning the ropes.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Any moron can do it, in a week

takes close to two months.

TL3 requires 50% attendance in a rolling 100 (or 101, because discourse) day window.

TL2 can be gotten in about a week, TL3 needs close to two months minimum.

• Well in any case, I'm not asking for the moderators to do more work, I'm asking for this shitty forum software to do less work. Specifically: it should stop trying to tell human beings who's trustworthy.

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said:

resolve this kind of thing like any other problem: flag it.

this seems like the best course of action.

You can either:

• Play the game and gain the mod powers of TL3 so you can edit the title back to the way you want it

or

• Flag the edit and ask a mod to revert it.

• @accalia said:

Play the game and gain the mod powers of TL3 so you can edit the title back to the way you want it

That's not going to happen, nor is it a solution to the problem.

@accalia said:

Flag the edit and ask a mod to revert it.

That's also not a solution to the problem. I'm not going to spend 20 hours a week in Wikipedia edit wars to prevent dickholes from messing with my stuff.

The solution is that Discourse stops giving dickholes the ability to mess with my stuff.

@blakeyrat said:

The solution is that Discourse stops giving dickholes the ability to mess with my stuff.

Sorry, I don't have the power to make that happen.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

That's not going to happen

/shrug your choice there

@blakeyrat said:

That's also not a solution to the problem.

it's the best you have right now.

if you reject both available options to solve your current issue and refuse to raise the issue with the developers of the forum software, then don't be surprised when i'm not exactly interested in bending over backward to help you.

• @Yamikuronue said:

We typically take a light hand with moderation unless someone gets particularly shitty, so I figure resolve this kind of thing like any other problem: flag it.

Yeah, warn offenders, and egregious repeat offenders can be permanently trust-locked to TL2.

@blakeyrat said:

A flag won't do any good; they still have TL3 and I only have a (what?) 5-day edit window. They simply need to wait me out, then they can change it and I can't change it back.

Liar. You can change it back, it just requires you to jump through the hoops to get TL3 first.

edit: or you could (flag | PM a mod, or pretty much any TL3 person) and ask to have it changed back.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Sorry, I don't have the power to make that happen.

Strangely I thought this was an open topic and not a PM with you specifically.

• @blakeyrat said:

I never will. And I don't want him to have the ability to edit my fucking thread titles, because he's a dickhole.

I literally edited the 🔥 marker in, how about you go look at the edit history before you spew 💩 everywhere?

Oh and next time if you're going to namedrop me at least @ me, you prick.

• ♿ (Parody)

@accalia said:

TL2 can be gotten in about a week

Takes more than 2 weeks.
    @PJH said:

Level 2 - Member (Used to be Regular User)

Once you've read (again, by default)

20 topics,
    100 posts,
    been logged in the forum for an hour,
    given and received 1 like,
    replied to 3 topics and
    have visited while logged in on 15 different days,

• FoxDev

@boomzilla said:

Takes more than 2 weeks.

ah. my bad.

still, my TL3 data was correct.

• @accalia said:

/shrug your choice there

Say I did get TL3, how would that solve the problem? It wouldn't. So it's moot and you obviously didn't think that through before posting it.

@accalia said:

refuse to raise the issue with the developers of the forum software,

I was under the impression that those numbers were configurable for each Discourse install.

@accalia said:

then don't be surprised when i'm not exactly interested in bending over backward to help you.

I never asked you to help me.

@anotherusername said:

edit: or you could PM a mod, or pretty much any TL3 person, and ask to have it changed back.

That doesn't fix the problem; it just turns the problem into a Wikipedia-esque edit-war. I ain't got time for that.

In fact that seems to be a side-effect of gamification, in any dispute the person with the most free-time wins.

@rc4 said:

I literally edited the 🔥 marker in,

I know you did. And purely out of spite; that's what I'm here complaining about.

@rc4 said:

Oh and next time if you're going to namedrop me at least @ me, you prick.

I never at-symbol anybody, you know that.

@boomzilla said:

Takes more than 2 weeks.

How long it takes precisely is irrelevant to the discussion.

• @blakeyrat said:

I know you did. And purely out of spite; that's what I'm complaining about.

Not really, I think it's handy for myself and the other denizens of this forum so they know when a flamewar's a-brewin'.

@blakeyrat said:

you know that.

I guess now I do? Sorry, I don't keep up with BlakeyPolicy. It's like the US Tax Code, except worse and with more swearing.

• EDIT: Post withdrawn by author

• @rc4 said:

Not really, I think it's handy for myself and the other denizens of this forum so they know when a flamewar's a-brewin'.

I understand you think that, but you also did it to my thread immediately after I asked that you not do it, which means you did it out of spite.

Don't try to play it as if you were doing some "public service" to the world, here. Nobody's going to buy that.

But in any case, you're not the problem, you're just the dickhole. The problem is that dickholes get the ability to change thread titles, that's what needs to be fixed.

@blakeyrat said:

Strangely I thought this was an open topic and not a PM with you specifically.

I know, right? It's almost as if I'm a member of a group of people, speaking as a representative of them.

It's possible admins can do what you want, but mods and TL4s don't seem to be able to.

• @blakeyrat said:

I understand you think that, but you also did it to my thread immediately after I asked that you not do itmade a post that you may or may not have seen, but I'll ignore that because I like to feel like I'm being victimized by others and why don't I just go leave the forums if I act like I hate the software and the people so much all the time, which means you did it out of spiteI like to make a lot of assumptions that result in me making more unfounded accusations..

@blakeyrat said:

you're just the dickhole

Likewise, fuckstick.

• @aliceif said:

Wow, you're an asshole.

I'm not an asshole, I just have trouble figuring out who "we" is when people suddenly drop the word "we" in a post where they haven't once mentioned a group of people they belong to.

I don't have telepathic powers, etc. etc. you know the drill.

If someone using the word "we" without defining who "we" is makes me an asshole, well, then I guess I'm just an asshole, ok? And we'll all have to live with that.

@aliceif said:

Yes, she is.She has been made a TL4 by @PJH a few months ago before that.

How was I supposed to know? Again: not telepathic.

• @blakeyrat said:

That doesn't fix the problem; it just turns the problem into a Wikipedia-esque edit-war. I ain't got time for that.

Good, because it's not your problem. Flag it and let a mod deal with ending it.

• @blakeyrat said:

How was I supposed to know?

There's a nice that's very visible next to her name, as well as the other admins and moderators with the exception of PJH.

• Oh shut up. You know exactly what you did. You're not 6 years old, just own-up to it.

• @blakeyrat said:

How was I supposed to know?

There's a shield next to her name and trust levels are visible on the user card (badge in the lower left) and the profile itself.

• @anotherusername said:

Good, because it's not your problem. Flag it and let a mod deal with ending it.

If I have an assurance that the mod will deal with it permanently, then that's a fine solution.

• I still haven't seen what it was that he did that was so bad.

Which topic was it, and what was the title before and after he edited it?

• Neither are you, why do you act like a 6 year old all the time?

• @aliceif said:

There's a shield next to her name

I don't know or care what that means.

@aliceif said:

and trust levels are visible on the user card (badge in the lower left) and the profile itself.

I've never once looked at a user card or profile except by accident. (Or while fumbling around trying to figure out where the PM button is.) Also there's no "moderator" there, in any case. There's some tag that says "leader" (but I don't know what that means) and repetition of the shield icon (but I didn't know what that meant.)

I'm sorry Discourse is shitty software; that doesn't make it my fault I didn't know.

I suppose you also are an unannounced moderator, because look a little shield icon. Whee. I've learned something new today. It's like Sesame Street.

• @anotherusername said:

I still haven't seen what it was that he did that was so bad.

That is not the point of the discussion.

• Yeah, ban people for changing topic titles! That totally makes the forum unusable by everyone and us all very sad!

Or maybe blakey can stop being a whiny crybaby all the time that has some sort of obsession with keeping everything up to Blakey's Expectations™ because if they're not, he'll throw a fit! Uh oh! :wambulance:

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

How long it takes precisely is irrelevant to the discussion.

Thanks for the heads up.

• @blakeyrat said:

If I have an assurance that the mod will deal with it permanently, then that's a fine solution.

I feel pretty assured that mods will deal with it permanently if a user is misbehaving on purpose and doesn't cut it out after a few warnings.

@blakeyrat said:

@anotherusername said:
    I still haven't seen what it was that he did that was so bad.

That is not the point of the discussion.

Yes it is. Your claim that people are editing your topic titles inappropriately needs to be supported with examples, and I can't see any of them because your edit history is private and you haven't given any.

• @anotherusername said:

and I can't see any of them because your edit history is private and you haven't given any.

He gave the example of me editing in the 🔥 marker, but there seems to be a(n informal) community consensus that that isn't abusive. Perhaps if there's such an objection, the admins will just add a custom tag like there is with the FWP and Status threads.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

how would that solve the problem?

you would have the ability to edit the topic title to whatever made you happy.

alternatively you could flag the OP for an edit revert, or PM the person who made the edit and ask them to knock it off.

@blakeyrat said:

I was under the impression that those numbers were configurable for each Discourse install.
    the trust level ones? to the best of my knowledge, no, they are not. although i suppose the edit window could be increased to a couple of months. that would mean most threads will have died a death by then and won't have any more issues with title edits

@blakeyrat said:

I never asked you to help me.
    you opened this thread no? And that's not a request for help?

you have an odd definition of asking for help then.

• :belt_onion:

Yeah, the 🔥 tag in the title is not changing the title, it's giving a heads-up to other people that this topic is one to stay away from if you don't like flame wars.

Changing the actual title, like with the Steam thread, is a perfectly normal thing for Blakey to get upset about (I personally wouldn't, but if he doesn't want the title changed, I guess that's up to him).

But if there's enough consensus that there's a flamewar for someone to put the 🔥 tag in the title, I don't really have a problem with it.

• @anotherusername said:

and I can't see any of them because your edit history is private and you haven't given any.

Victim blaming!

BTW, MODERATORS CAN READ ALL EDITS - and TL4-users (which we don't have right now) can read most.