MTG Luck Sack

• So some of you are MTG players and I think you might be interested in this tweet.

In short, someone bought the Luck Sack sold in 晴れる屋 for JPY 1 million, and found "Power 9" cards inside.

• WHAT!?

NO WAY!!?

Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about... :-)

• FoxDev

LMGTFY.com?q=MTG+power+9 suggests that this is what is being discussed.

• @cheong said:

and found "Power 9" cards inside

Are you saying that he found all of the power 9? or just a few?

Black Lotus alone already costs more than he paid, if he found all 9... well, i want his luck.

• All of them, each card in the whole set.

The card price of just mint-quality white border "Black Lotus" is over the Luck Sack itself.

@accalia said:

LMGTFY.com?q=MTG+power+9 suggests that this is what is being discussed.

Yup, they even deserved a Wikipedia page.

• @cartman82 said:

Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about... 😄

I know what Power 9 is, I have no idea what a Luck Sack or 晴れる屋 is (apparently a MTG shop?). So there.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

I have no idea what a Luck Sack

It's what Fox calls a nut sack.

• There are sacks sold in store. You don't know what's inside but you're told the total price of items inside should exceed it's selling price. So it's up to you to decide whether you should try your luck. (Chances are there are some really expensive items that does not match your taste, or you just don't them. That's where the "luck" part comes from)

• @cheong said:

You don't know what's inside but you're told the total price of items inside should exceed it's selling price.

Then why are they being sold?

Or is "you're told" here a euphemism for "you're lied to"?

Sounds like it's just a grab bag with a slightly fancier name.

• Well, it's an excuse for the store to get rid of items nobody really wants to buy, and the buyer gambles on whether what's in the bag will be of any use to him (in which case he gets the stuff he wants cheaper). Where's the problem?

• The problem is with cheong's description, which says the store tells you the total price should always exceed the selling price. Which makes no sense, because if that were remotely true, they'd break open the bag themselves and sell the cards individually.

• Most of them are really of better value, the shops usually use it as a way to clear stocks (clothes and the sort) of previous season.

I won't deny the possibility of some merchants will "just claim" it has better value. 🙊

• Maybe it's more like the woot.com bag of crap thing than the grab bag thing, where 98% of the bags are worth exactly what you paid for them, but 2% are better stuff that was basically sitting around collecting dust in their warehouse.

• Don't know the others, but "Power 9" cards in well condition is readily tradable.

• Having played MT:G a lot (the Mirage and Rath cycle mostly) I had no idea that some of the power 9 had been reprinted. They were not.

• The reprinted "Power 9" card that I know of are oversized cards (something like 1.5 times the height and width of normal card that cannot be used in normal game play) that are prize of Winner in annual Vintage Championship.

Talking about the oversized cards, I remember once upon a time they intentionally selected a few to print oversized that can be used as "leader" of a deck. I got one such card from Inquest magazine.

Unfortunately that kind of special play never seems to grow popular.

• Commander is not popular where you play? on reddit there seens to be an unconditional love for the format, you should try to find a store that holds events on the format. Search for Commander (current name) or Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH, old name)

• @Sentenryu said:

Commander

It's similar but different one.

The card I get is Takara like this one. With modifier to your starting life and hand size.

More about the special cards for this format here.

• Oh, vanguard, that's old. Somewhat of a predecessor to the Commander format.

Those aren't printed nor played anymore due to severe balance concerns. They are a product of the combo winter (Urza's saga block).

• Fukubukuro. So yes, fancy name.

I've told this already but I bought a $5 Fuku from Meh and was shipped a box with a Roomba in it (which I still haven't used).

• Banned

@blakeyrat said:

The problem is with cheong's description, which says the store tells you the total price should always exceed the selling price. Which makes no sense, because if that were remotely true, they'd break open the bag themselves and sell the cards individually.

It's better to sell 10 bottles of coke for half the price than a single bottle for full price. Also, it's easier to sell an ugly painting if the buyer doesn't see it beforehand. Combine these two and you have a reason why those lucky bags are a thing.

• The other reasons are, it has some kind of advertising function (applicable here, in fact this sack in the tweet is sold the second it's put on the web by their staff, and they also sell sacks with lesser value like JPY 10,000-50,000), the clothes of previous season will have further reduced value if leaved in stock (not applicable here)

• @Maciejasjmj said:

晴れる屋

Missed part of question.

Also note how the shop's name is spoken in Japanese for neta.

• Some of those cards, I can definitely see why they're so powerful. Mostly it's the fact that they're free. Those Mox cards are insanely obviously powerful even to a noob like me.

On another note, old formats no one plays anymore are fun! I bought Archenemy set last year.

• :belt_onion:

No comment on Black Lotus?

• Archenemy isn't THAT old, is it? there was a release for it not long ago.

I try to fullfill my magic needs by playing magic duels on steam, but the freaking AI pisses me off by aways playing the same removal spells, to the point I design decks to win the instant the AI plays the removal.

• @sloosecannon said:

No comment on Black Lotus?

I did. I mentioned that it's free. Which is ironic, considering...

@Sentenryu said:

Archenemy isn't THAT old, is it?

2010 is the only time they made any.

• @Magus said:

Some of those cards, I can definitely see why they're so powerful. Mostly it's the fact that they're free. Those Mox cards are insanely obviously powerful even to a noob like me.

Let's just say WotC tried to make a nerfed version of Black Lotus at least twice, and ended up with a card that needed to be banned anyway because it was so powerful.

Lotus Petal - three mana changed to one, still banned.
    Lion's Eye Diamond - discard your bloody hand for that three mana, not sure if banned in any format, but restricted in Vintage.
    Lotus Bloom - Suspend 3, still broken enough to make Modern Masters.

It's free, it's an artifact, it's an insane ramp. Enough said.