The Star Wars VIIIIIII: The Force Awakens FRIDGE LOGIC THREAD **NOW DEFINITELY SPOILERS**

• Saw all the Star Wars. Here are fridge logic thangs:

• As a history buff, I'd love to see a movie about how the Empire got re-constituted as the First Order in only like 25 years. Did they have a Hitler-esque figure constantly railing about the "backstabbers of 1918/A Long Time Ago"? The funny thing is I was going to give the film grief for that, but then I remembered: actually pretty much exactly that happened, exactly that quickly, here on Earth.

• Wow. The whole "make a movie that passes the baton to a younger generation" thing here was done well in the way that, say, Star Trek: Generations and Indiana Jones 4 REALLY fucked the concept up. It helps that (unlike Generations) they got pretty much ALL the cast of the original together (even Warwick Davis!!!) and (unlike Indiana Jones 4) the younger replacements were actually... likable.

• Speaking of which, Harrison Ford looks like he's aged like 47 years while Carrier Fischer and Mark Hamill seem to be doing ok. (Of course Harrison Ford was like 10 years older than them even in the original film, so.)

• This movie hits basically ALL the beats of the original trilogy. I think the only scene they didn't do a homage to was the chase through the asteroid field. Oh and Rey never whined about getting power converters. Oh. And also there's no fight against walkers, although we do see some walkers in the background on the weapon planet.

• Fridge Logic: Han and Chewie have hung out for decades, and Han's NEVER tried Chewie's bowcaster weapon before?! Not once? Seriously?

• There's a small plot point that Finn takes a blaster rifle from the Millenium Falcon and Han nods to him letting him keep it. Not 2 minutes later, he's suddenly caught-up in an attack and shouts, "I need a weapon!" Uh. You JUST HAD a blaster rifle, what the hell did you do with it? You dropped it already? Butter-fingers!

• At one point, a flight of X-Wings is attacking a ground facility. They strafe it, using whatever the X-Wing equivalent of 30mm cannon is I suppose, and then loop around for another pass. The Rebel's best pilot, Poe, then says: "come around for another bombing run." Uh, you didn't drop any bombs, idiot. The SFX guys forgot to read the script? And note, we know that X-Wings are capable of dropping at least one photon-torpedo-like explosive device as seen in Star Wars (1977).

• WHAT A COINCIDENCE that Finn just HAPPENS to come across the female (or droid perhaps? Helmet never comes off) leader of the Stormtrooper unit he was a member of at the exact moment he needs a plan to disable a shield. Seriously. It was an entire PLANET. And Finn didn't even know she was ON THE PLANET. He last saw her on a Star Destroyer.

• Kylo Ren: could they have cast a guy who possibly looks LESS like a young Harrison Ford? Or Carrier Fisher? It's not a big deal, just kind of made me laugh. He looks like the selfish prince from a Disney movie about princesses turning into things. Triangle-schnoz. Did a fine job acting, though.

• Not going to talk about the mechanics of the weapon, because huh? Ok I lied: so it takes a star for fuel, but is itself built into a planet. So it can't move, presumably? But it fired twice. Where did the second star come from? Was it in a binary system? And once they're out of stars, it's useless? Or maybe they can tow it elsewhere? (Or, my friend came up with this theory: since it can fire into hyperspace, maybe it can drain a star over hyperspace and the first star they used wasn't the one it was orbiting.) Or does the star "recover" and come back after going dark? Huh.

• A lot of what I like to call "exposition without explanation". "If we could track the Millenium Falcon, so can the First Order!" Well, ok. Sure why not. But... how could you track it? And if you could track it, how come it had been sitting on not-Tatooine for years and years collecting dust?

• Also see: Luke put R2D2 in sleep mode before leaving. Ok. But... why/how did R2 decide to wake up at exactly that moment? Was he on a timer? Or was he reacting to events? But he was in a closet, so. Also why not give R2 the ENTIRE map instead of just like 85% of it? R2 was safe the entire film in the Rebel's main base, a hell of a lot safer than that old guy who inexplicably had it at the beginning of the film. (Were we supposed to recognize him? I mean as a character; obviously it was Max Von Sydow.)

• They have a pilot that looks so much like Porkins, I came up with two theories:

1. Porkins is some kind of immortal alien that just happens to look like a fat human
    2. This guy is listed in the screenplay literally as "Porkins II"
    • BTW, I know that Abrams probably considered it dull, but the bit in the first Star Wars movie where they actually lay out: 1) about how many X-Wings are involved in the attack, 2) about how many and what kind of defenses they face, 3) as pilots/defenses are destroyed update those numbers ... well, it really helps the audience keep track of what's going on. In this film, the X-Wing bombing/strafing run, we have absolutely no idea of what kind of defenses they face. The dude says "launch all squadrons" of defensive fighters, but how many is that? It looks like maybe a dozen, but that can't be right. And how many X-Wings do the rebels have? And we see at least a couple ground turrets, are there more? I was confused.

• Anyway I enjoyed it.

• This post is deleted!

• The real question is, WHY THE FUCK IS CHEWBACCA'S BOWCASTER FIRING RED BOLTS!? It was green in Dark Forces. It was green in Jedi Knight! It was green in every fucking game and comic ever! It should fucking be green in the movie too! ABRAMS, YOU HACK, YOU RUINED STAR WARS!

Other than that, I have nothing else to say. If you posted this yesterday or the day before, I'd have had a huge list of complaints to air out. But after spending 3 days soaking up every review or spoiler discussion I could find, I'm fucking done. I'm sick of analyzing Star Wars, talking about Star Wars, even thinking about Star Wars.

Wake me up when the next one arrives. Now that all the disillusioned Star Wars fans are creaming their pants about the franchise again (and buying all the merch), I'm sure there'll be plenty, PLENTY more to come.

• @cartman82 said:

The real question is, WHY THE FUCK IS CHEWBACCA'S BOWCASTER FIRING RED BOLTS!? It was green in Dark Forces. It was green in Jedi Knight! It was green in every fucking game and comic ever! It should fucking be green in the movie too! ABRAMS, YOU HACK, YOU RUINED STAR WARS!

Wow. That's amazingly petty, congratulations.

EDIT: wait maybe he upgraded to the red bolt version like only a couple days before the events in the movie, and that's why Han was so excited to try it.

@cartman82 said:

Other than that, I have nothing else to say. If you posted this yesterday or the day before, I'd have had a huge list of complaints to air out.

They weren't really complaints, they were bits of fridge logic.

@cartman82 said:

But after spending 3 days soaking up every review or spoiler discussion I could find, I'm fucking done. I'm sick of analyzing Star Wars, talking about Star Wars, even thinking about Star Wars.

I was sick of that about 3 weeks before the movie even came out. The only reason I watched it at all is because a friend of mine really wanted to see it.

• @blakeyrat said:

They weren't really complaints, they were bits of fridge logic.

Save that marketing spiel for the investors.

They were complaints and you know it.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

Other than that, I have nothing else to say. If you posted this yesterday or the day before, I'd have had a huge list of complaints to air out. But after spending 3 days soaking up every review or spoiler discussion I could find, I'm fucking done. I'm sick of analyzing Star Wars, talking about Star Wars, even thinking about Star Wars.

Amen. I just watched it, but after the prequels, and knowing who's working on it, I actually expected much worse, so I'm just in the "meh, fuck it, don't even care" mood.

I'm gonna go wash it down with some Jedi Knight II I think and I'll think about it more when the next one comes out. By which I mean I'll think about whether I'll watch it at all or not.

• Well disappointment aside, you gotta admit compared to The Phantom Menace it's genius.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

compared to The Phantom Menace it's genius

I'd rather pretend that none of episodes I, II and III existed, or that they are just some ridiculous fanfic gone wild.

• @blakeyrat said:

A lot of what I like to call "exposition without explanation". "If we could track the Millenium Falcon, so can the First Order!" Well, ok. Sure why not. But... how could you track it? And if you could track it, how come it had been sitting on not-Tatooine for years and years collecting dust?

The ship computer is an Android phone, it needs to be turned on so han can search it with Google Location Services.

• ♿ (Parody)

@cartman82 said:

I'm sick of analyzing Star Wars, talking about Star Wars, even thinking about Star Wars.

Haha, loser. I went and saw it and enjoyed it, and had some similar thoughts as Blakey, but I since I had fun and it was a movie, that was good enough.

The thing that "bugged" me the most was how they shot the weapon and hit like several planets in a single solar system, which was also the system where the bar thing was. Whereas it seemed like it was some tucked away place, it was actually in the same system as the capital of the Republic or something? Weird. I kind of hate when SF stuff gets really vague about planets being in different solar systems vs the same, but eh...

• @boomzilla said:

The thing that "bugged" me the most was how they shot the weapon and hit like several planets in a single solar system, which was also the system where the bar thing was. Whereas it seemed like it was some tucked away place, it was actually in the same system as the capital of the Republic or something? Weird. I kind of hate when SF stuff gets really vague about planets being in different solar systems vs the same, but eh...

EXACTLY! This fucking Abrams guy HAS NO CONCEPTION of how fucking huge interplanetary space is. He did the exact same thing in Star Trek reboot, where this guy teleports halfway across a star system, just because...

I'll shut up now.

• That's covered by my not wanting to talk about the mechanics of the weapon. Because just thinking about it raises about 48,20382 questions.

• area_pol

@blakeyrat said:

Not going to talk about the mechanics of the weapon, because huh?

And, given the size and resources required to build it, the weapon is impossible to build in secret (it is literally visible when you look at the planet through a telescope).

Yet the republic, presumably posessing significant resources and military forces (surely they have some intelligence forces), did not investigate that and did not respond to the threat, no explanation is given why.

Governments are really concerned with even suspicions that some country (especially unstable and totalitarian) is building nuclear weapons.

• The more people compare it to ANH, the more it bothers me, because the parallels are way too parallel.

Aside from that, things that bothered me specifically:

• In Episode V, we see something drop after Luke has fallen onto the "weathervane" at the bottom of Cloud City. I always interpreted that to be his severed hand and/or lightsaber. Given that it's pretty difficult to retrieve something from deep within a gas giant, it's surprising that it has suddenly made a comeback. However, this is debatable, so I can almost let it go. Almost.
    • Kylo Ren is weak. The scriptwriters had a Big Reveal, and they blew it not halfway through the film. He's way too conflicted and emo to live up to his idol, Vader, whose redemption was so powerful BECAUSE he was cold and ruthless until he tossed Palpatine down the bottomless pit. If the writers try for a redemption in VIII or IX, it's going to be "eh." He also got his ass handed to him by Rey, who had zero training.
    • While we're on that subject, it takes Luke three movies to master the Jedi Mind Trick and Force Pull, but Rey's got it down in less than half a movie with no training?
    • Supreme Leader Snoke. This Gollum-esque CG humanoid is supposed to be the personification of scary and/or evil that we have to deal with for the next few movies? Shitsux.
    • Han Solo. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen at the beginning of the bridge scene, and while that's awful, they dragged it out into a few minutes of, "HAHA, WATCH HELPLESSLY AS WE KILL OFF ONE OF THE FANBASE'S FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN A MANNER THAT INSULTS THEIR INTELLIGENCE!"
    • Mark Hamill got off way too easily. I didn't wait years to see fifteen seconds of footage of a bearded guy that might as well be a CG stand-in, like what Furious 7 did with Paul Walker's goodbye scene.

Verdict: Better than I, not as good as III, nowhere near IV-VI.

• BTW there's a rumor that Disney's casting for "Untitled Han Solo Film".

• I've been telling people who haven't seen it yet that "Captain Phasma is the badass of the fim! The one with the chrome armor! Yeah, she's in like every scene and has that cool blaster PEW PEW!"

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@Groaner said:

Han Solo. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen at the beginning of the bridge scene, and while that's awful, they dragged it out into a few minutes of, "HAHA, WATCH HELPLESSLY AS WE KILL OFF ONE OF THE FANBASE'S FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN A MANNER THAT INSULTS THEIR INTELLIGENCE!"

This.

• That's like 1/4th correct!

Are you enough of a nerd to know if she's supposed to be a droid, or just some human who never takes off her helmet?

• @blakeyrat said:

That's like 1/4th correct!

The best lies contain bits of truth.

@blakeyrat said:

Are you enough of a nerd to know if she's supposed to be a droid, or just some human who never takes off her helmet?

Probably just doesn't take off her helmet. It would set a bad example for the lower-level stormtroopers who are apparently trained not to remove their helmets.

• 🚽 Regular

@Bort said:

who are apparently trained not to remove their helmets.

Of course they are trained to not remove their helmets. Their helmets are important! They filter out smoke.*

Oh, and I couldn't help noticing Han shot first.

*Not toxins.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Anyway I enjoyed it.

Can't fathom why, it's one of the shittiest Hollywood productions I've ever seen. Jar Jar Abrams is like this happy child that was let into the kitchen for the first time. He takes a lot of pre-packaged stuff (a bridge scene here, a Death Star there), adds A LOT of yeast and mixes it. After a while you get what we called when I was a kid a "ciaparajda", which was everything mixed with a lot of mud. But man it's big, so it must be good. But sure, you could always look at it this way

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2013-11/enhanced/webdr03/25/19/anigif_original-grid-image-21327-1385426951-42.gif

What really pains me is, that Star Wars was always at lest an entertaining movie (and the original trilogy had a great storyline), but I couldn't really shake the feeling that I'm watching the best Star Wars parody ever made, or at least the largest.

Plus, fuck, I really hate it when a movie can't surprise me. Well, this one couldn't, cause all to often I simply knew what would happen CAUSE I FUCKING HAVE SEEN IT ALREADY (vide the bridge scene).

One of the important things about Star Wars was also always that it was hugely based on Joel Campbell's theory of myth and so it was trustable. The story was sentimental in the American way, but the road of the hero was long and hard, sure he had some skills, but he couldn't yield the saber AT FUCKING ONCE HE TOUCHED IT! And this is what happens to: you can't do something? No problem, all you need is a few minutes to be proficient.

And what's about all of those heroes being so fucking gullible? This fucking "best pilot of the restistance" never thinks that this black storm trooper might be faking, might be just there to earn his trust and then snatch the robot? So why does he tell him everything in the most stupid of possible ways? "This robot has a map that leads to Luke Skywalker!" No shit, Sherlock, find me it and then prepare to die. Black guy tells this ugly gnome of a new Jedi that he's a storm trooper? No problem, he's trusted cause he must be good. I mean: HE'S BLACK FOR GOD SAKES, SO HE MUST BE GOOD, RIGHT JJ? And why does he tell that girl at once what the robot has? Fucking Jesus Christ, it's not a story, it's a fucking slaughterhouse of ideas.

• It's refreshing to see a 3d movie that has more than 10s of 3d. This was the best use of 3d I watched since Avatar.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Well disappointment aside, you gotta admit compared to The Phantom Menace it's genius.

I cannot. Phantom Menace was entertaining and had a believable storyline. Plus, it had better actors. Lucas is a shitty director, but not as shitty as Jar Jar Abrams, sorry.

BTW, Phantom Menace had 1 Jar Jar Binx, Force Awakens had like at least three.

There is a scientific way to determine what the verdict on this film is.

• @Groaner said:

While we're on that subject, it takes Luke three movies to master the Jedi Mind Trick and Force Pull, but Rey's got it down in less than half a movie with no training?

Luke was lame. People enshrine the original series, but we were children and that level of fx was new.

The force created Vader to bring balance when the dark side was just 1 or 2 darths. Rey appeared when Jedi were mostly extinct, she can be a reverse-vader created by the force to bring balance back.

I think it could have more lightsaber fighting and force power usage.

And the history feels incomplete, following this new shitty standard of trilogies, they expect you to watch all 3 movies for a single story.

• @kt_ said:

This fucking "best pilot of the restistance" never thinks that this black storm trooper might be faking, might be just there to earn his trust and then snatch the robot?

That's stupid.

His immediate goal is to get off the Star Destroyer. Long-term goals take a back-seat to immediate goals. Even if Finn at that point had been lying, he'd be better off on a planet where he might have some allies than a spaceship where he certainly doesn't. And if he got killed in the escape, well, I'd also rather be shot down in a fighter instead of spending weeks being tortured to death. Not to mention maybe he didn't trust himself to resist the torture. (Actually hadn't he already spilled the beans? I can't remember.)

The decision he made was perfectly rational.

Let's say Finn was 100% faking: how the fuck would Poe be WORSE off trying to escape with him?

@kt_ said:

Black guy tells this ugly gnome of a new Jedi that he's a storm trooper? No problem, he's trusted cause he must be good. I mean: HE'S BLACK FOR GOD SAKES, SO HE MUST BE GOOD, RIGHT JJ?

Wow, are you upset that JJ Abrams isn't racist enough? Is that the source of this little rant? Jesus, man.

It's impossible the bartender used her intuition and 900+ years of experience to make a judgement of this man! She only looked at his skin color! Because obviously the world of "galaxy far away" is racist as fuck in canon, right?

• Rey also grew up in a galaxy where Luke was actively training new Jedi. Luke grew up in an galaxy where the entire concept of Jedi was mostly forgotten.

In the same way that I know more about sushi than someone who grew up in the US in 1920 (even if I don't eat sushi very often or at all, it's saturated pop culture), Rey might know more about how to use The Force than Luke did.

@boomzilla said:

hit like several planets in a single solar system, which was also the system where the bar thing was

J J Abrans is never one to let physics get in the way of what passes for storytelling for him. If you remember the 2009 Star Trek reboot, Kirk and Spock watched Vulcan get destroyed even though they weren't in the Vulcan system. You have to remind yourself of the MST3K Mantra.

I gather that the weapon was superluminal, from stuff I've seen in blogs[1]. I grimaced and assumed it was poetic license or something.

[1] which boils down to "apparently Disney realized this didn't make sense too, and released some explanatory stuff" which I haven't seen, myself.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

I grimaced and assumed it was poetic license or something.

Yeah, pretty much.

@FrostCat said:

I gather that the weapon was superluminal, from stuff I've seen in blogs

It pretty much has to be. And I think that was mentioned somehow in the movie.

@cartman82 said:

Star Trek reboot, where this guy teleports halfway across a star system,

No, they actually sort of explained that. I think the theory has always been something handwavy along the lines of "transporters are short-range because the beam dissipates", and they hooked Kirk's transport into a transwarp engine, which is still handwavy but somehow magically better than regular warp--certainly they've tied the warp engines into other things before to boost them, so there's even precedent.

@blakeyrat said:

Because just thinking about it raises about 48,20382 questions.

Question 48,20383 is "when did @blakeyrat use Indian-style numbering[1]?"

[1] I know it's not really.

@Adynathos said:

Yet the republic, presumably posessing significant resources and military forces (surely they have some intelligence forces), did not investigate that and did not respond to the threat, no explanation is given why.

Geez. It was on the dark[1] side of the planet.

[1] yes, I know.

@Groaner said:

It was pretty obvious what was going to happen at the beginning of the bridge scene

I thought so too, but apparently it was a total surprise to a lot of people.

@blakeyrat said:

Are you?

@blakeyrat said:

Rey also grew up in a galaxy where Luke was actively training new Jedi.

...except that she thought the Jedi were all mythical.

• I don't think anyone in the thread has mentioned this yet: When Finn and Rey get "captured" in the Millennium Falcon, Finn looks out the window and says something like "Oh, this is bad, it's the First Order, we're gonna have storm troopers up our ass in a minute, we gotta poison em." How could he possibly mis-identify Han Solo's cargo ship hauling giant squids for that?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Wow, are you upset that JJ Abrams isn't racist enough?

Selected quotes:

the unconsciousness of Finn throughout the final act of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” as I shall discuss it here in this piece, reveals to us that, White Hollywood, as we near the beginning of the last year of Obama’s presidency, is ushering in a new and more powerful form of racial tokenism.
    Hyper-tokenism in a White film can be defined as the marked increase in screen time, dramatic involvement and promotional images of a Black character in a White film, while simultaneously reserving full dramatic agency as the providence of White characters by the end of the film.

• @FrostCat said:

I gather that the weapon was superluminal, from stuff I've seen in blogs[1].

They specifically say in the movie that it fires through hyperspace. Or hyperspeed. Or whatever they call their FTL technology in Star Wars.

@FrostCat said:

[1] which boils down to "apparently Disney realized this didn't make sense too, and released some explanatory stuff" which I haven't seen, myself.

If by "some explanatory stuff" you mean the screenplay of the film itself, then yes.

• @FrostCat said:

and they hooked Kirk's transport into a transwarp engine, which is still handwavy but somehow magically better than regular warp--

The first transwarp ship didn't exist until Star Trek III. Which is at least a decade into the future of that timeframe. (And it turns out Scotty was correct and the whole transwarp concept never worked quite right anyway.)

• @FrostCat said:

Are you?

Obviously not or I wouldn't have asked.

CSB: Remember that Justice League cartoon in the 90s? They went literally the entire first season (and I believe most of the second) without ever showing Hawkgirl with her mask off. To the point where I was wondering if they made a change from the comic, and Hawkgirl had the alien (Thanagarian) origin and in the animated universe, that is just what Thanagarian faces look like.

Anyway, then they do a reveal that no, while she is indeed an alien, and the wings are a natural feature of that alien race, she looks pretty much exactly human. She just never took off her mask. For like 2 solid years.

• @FrostCat said:

...except that she thought the Jedi were all mythical.

Did she?

• @hungrier said:

I don't think anyone in the thread has mentioned this yet: When Finn and Rey get "captured" in the Millennium Falcon, Finn looks out the window and says something like "Oh, this is bad, it's the First Order, we're gonna have storm troopers up our ass in a minute, we gotta poison em." How could he possibly mis-identify Han Solo's cargo ship hauling giant squids for that?

How do you know the First Order doesn't use that same model of ship?

It was obviously sufficiently large and powerful to tractor-beam the Millenium Falcon into a cargo bay.

• Huh?

The very fact that your source says "white film" as if films are made only for a specific race pretty much puts it in the "just this side of Hitler" bucket, as far as I'm concerned.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Let's say Finn was 100% faking: how the fuck would Poe be WORSE off trying to escape with him?

I totally agree and you've missed my point. It wasn't that he shouldn't have grabbed the chance, it was that he shouldn't have told him what he was going for and why. Sure, this guy could've been sent by Kylo Ren, so he would know already. But it might also be a rouge softy, who could realize that it was his chance to rise, if he'd got caught. Telling him why he was going back and what the droid had was not a good idea and rather a moronic one, something that Lucas didn't do even in the new trilogy.

@blakeyrat said:

Wow, are you upset that JJ Abrams isn't racist enough? Is that the source of this little rant?

Nope, it's not. I was rather ranting is the direction of PC portrayal of a black guy, but it was off topic and rather fueled by disappointment with the movie itself. Sure, I admit that. It goes for the rest of your post, too.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Rey also grew up in a galaxy where Luke was actively training new Jedi. Luke grew up in an galaxy where the entire concept of Jedi was mostly forgotten.

Sure, that's why Anakin had to do a lot of learning, too.

Btw, the whole point is that this movie has bad storytelling. Whenever you need to stretch your imagination to justify lacks in the script, it just makes my point: it's a shitty movie.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

The very fact that your source says "white film" as if films are made only for a specific race pretty much puts it in the "just this side of Hitler" bucket, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes. That particular tumblr was created to make fun of people who say stuff like that. The quotes I supplied were quotes from other sources.

• Dupa

@FrostCat said:

J J Abrans is never one to let physics get in the way of what passes for storytelling for him.

Yeah, but what about psychics? 🚎

Anyway, QFT

• @kt_ said:

It wasn't that he shouldn't have grabbed the chance, it was that he shouldn't have told him what he was going for and why.

If Finn were lying, he'd already know that anyway.

@kt_ said:

But it might also be a rouge softy, who could realize that it was his chance to rise, if he'd got caught. Telling him why he was going back and what the droid had was not a good idea and rather a moronic one, something that Lucas didn't do even in the new trilogy.

Meh. Not a big deal to me. Maybe Poe just genuinely made a bad call. It happens. It was a stressful situation.

@kt_ said:

I was rather ranting is the direction of PC portrayal of a black guy, but it was off topic and rather fueled by disappointment with the movie itself.

Ok that's gibberish (at least one missing word?), and it sounds suspiciously like racist gibberish to me. Especially the last clause, which sounds like, "if I'm disappointed with the quality of a movie, I INSTANTLY BLAME THE BLACK GUY."

@kt_ said:

Btw, the whole point is that this movie has bad storytelling. Whenever you need to stretch your imagination to justify lacks in the script, it just makes my point: it's a shitty movie.

And it has a gasp BLACK character!!! They didn't even give him a watermelon to eat at any point. Space-watermelon.

I guess in your little mind, the prequels are bad because Samuel L Jackson has a prominent role in them, right? Oh and that also justifies hatred of Return of the Jedi, look how big a role Lando plays!

• Dupa

@Adynathos said:

Well, that's the problem with Star Wars in general. Overall, what Lucas's been saying all this time is that evil is cunning and intelligent, while good is romantic and fucking stupid as fuck. It's visible in the new trilogy, where Jedi are in control, yet they can't control anything, they're that moronic, while Palpatin is playing a great game.

• A bigger criticism is that we have virtually zero emotional attachment to anybody on any of those 5 planets. We don't know who they are, why they're important (other than some vague insinuation that they're behind the organization of the freedom fighters?) We don't even see Leia, a force-sensitive character, react to it, like with Obi Wan when the Empire blew up a planet we never actually see or know anything about in the first film.