Odd IE behavior losing focus

• Bug: Loading what.thedailywtf.com in a single tab in Internet Explorer pushes the browser window to the background.
    Expected: The browser window stays visible.
    Actual: As soon as the page loads, the browser window gets pushed to the back, bringing all windows behind it (in this case, a command prompt) to the foreground.

Does not appear to happen if multiple tabs have been loaded. Only seems to happen when the browser window is located entirely on my primary screen (if it's on the secondary screen, it stays visible). Also occurs if I press F5 to reload the page. Happens both in IE9 on Windows Vista x86 and [s]IE11[/s]IE10 on Windows 7 x64.

[edit] This also happens when pressing HOME and END.

[edit #2] This didn't happen with IE11 - the Windows 7 x64 system in question actually had IE10.

• @Quietust said:

Loading what.thedailywtf.com in a single tab in Internet Explorer pushes the browser window to the background.

...how is this even possible?

• :belt_onion:

@Quietust said:

Bug: Loading what.thedailywtf.com in a single tab in Internet Explorer pushes the browser window to the background.

Oh good, it's not just me. This is driving me mental.

Filed under: More so than I used to be, I mean

• This bug doesn't appear to be present in IE11 on Windows 8.1.

In IE10 on Windows 7 x64, I only get the issue if it is the only tab and only on a full page load (either going to the site via the address bar or hitting F5 to reload), not when HOME or END are pressed. Issue is present on all displays, not just the primary..

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

Without the above custom style, everything seems to work fine, though testing IE reminded me of this bug, still not fixed:
    @Quietust said:
    Bug: Loading what.thedailywtf.com in a single tab in Internet Explorer pushes the browser window to the background.

I think I just found the bug.

Calling blur(), which Discourse does regularly to clear element focus in the click handler, causes the issue. The shitheads over at Internet Explorer decided that if it ever bubbles up to the body element, then body.blur() should unfocus the browser.

I... well.... sigh

• @riking said:

body.blur() should unfocus the browser.

Hm, can you repro that this does not happen when calling document.body.blur() in its console?

can you repro the no repro?

Repro repro? Repro repro repro, repro. Buffalo.

• Also, would you happen to be this person?

http://tasvideos.org/Quietust.html

EDIT: Gee, wait, it's the same avatar. That's a yes.

• Considered Harmful

Oh wow. I knew him as the Signature Guy guy, but @Quietust wrote Nintendulator? Respect.

• @Quietust also wrote a bunch of binary patches for Dwarf Fortress. Respect.

• @ben_lubar said:

Dwarf Fortress. RDisrespect

FTFY

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

That strike-out hardly shows; “Respect” would work better, even if it creates much more redundant information.

• Banned

Since this is an IE9 peculiarity, and we barely support IE9 as it is, and the bug is on the IE9 side ..

This topic is now closed. New replies are no longer allowed.

• Banned

• Banned

Reopening this since @ChaosTheEternal says it happens on Windows 7 even with IE11.

I am skeptical, myself, but I have zero Windows 7 machines to test on. Repro with IE10 or IE11 on Windows 7, anyone?

• You mean like the repro in this post, which you would see if you scrolled up, or read the whole topic before you closed it?

It being the post which is the whole reason I have been saying that it happens on other versions of IE, and that you closed this topic without reading?

• IE11 on Windows 7, can't reproduce it at all.

Have you tried with ChaosEternal's instructions? (E.g., make sure you only have one tab; full page load; etc.)

• Yes. All updates, IE set to delete all data on close (useful for trying things, since I never use it otherwise), opening it, typing what.thedailywtf.com on the url bar of the only tab, pressing F5, and clicking around the forum shows nothing weird. both maximized and windowed.

By the way, Microsoft offers free VMs to test sites on various versions of IE: http://loc.modern.ie/virtualization-tools

I liked your post, but need to dedicate a post of my own to thank you for that VM information. That's great. And the "Escape from XP" *shooting holes in IE 6* *calling XP a pestilence on the developer community* shows a pretty excellent sense of humor from someone at Microsoft. <3

So it sounds like the issue can't be re-created on IE 11, then. I can re-create regularly on IE 10 using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

• Yeah, I thought I had seen it in IE11 on Windows 7, but I just updated my laptop and tried again and no repro, so the issue only appears to affect IE9 and IE10.

Filled under: [Assuming Mozilla or Google don't effectively duplicate that feature in the future](#tag2)

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

Yeah, I thought I had seen it in IE11 on Windows 7, but I just updated my laptop and tried again and no repro, so the issue only appears to affect IE9 and IE10.

I also thought I had seen it in IE11 on Windows 7, but it was really IE10. Edited original post to reflect this.

• Christ on a bike. Someone here uses I.E.?

@riking said:

Calling blur(), which Discourse does regularly to clear element focus in the click handler, causes the issue. The shitheads over at Internet Explorer decided that if it ever bubbles up to the body element, then body.blur() should unfocus the browser.

When I am on windows I open I.E. once to download firefox and chrome. Then I never open it again (unless I click on it by accident).

They make great web servers and .NET has changed leaps and bounds by incorporating MVC2 and 3 not sure what MVC version is out there now but that was needed to escape postback. However, compiling a website seems really weird to me. I can tell you that I did not flourish in my .NET dev roles. In fact, each one was a majestic failure. Example. The dev tools at the time came with Cassini, but guess what would happen when you moved that site to IIS 7.0. I'll tell you. Shenannigans.

Filed under: Learn as you go

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

Yeah, I thought I had seen it in IE11 on Windows 7, but I just updated my laptop and tried again and no repro, so the issue only appears to affect IE9 and IE10.

Same as my experience. FYI - you can reproduce it in IE11 (or skip step 1 if you have IE9/10):

1. hit F12 and emulate IE10
    2. close down to just 1 tab open
    3. make sure you have a different app running in the background
    4. go to the main forum page
    5. click one of the filter buttons (new, unread, starred, top, categories)
    6. watch IE hide from you
    7. ???
    8. profit

• @Frank said:

When I am on windows I open I.E. once to download firefox and chrome. Then I never open it again (unless I click on it by accident).

• @Frank said:

Unfortunately, even in 2014 there are web sites that don't work with anything else. Even more unfortunately, some of them are (or were until quite recently) on my company's intranet. :(

• I know exactly what you are talking about. We had implemented a way for out servers to integrate with industrial warehouse shipping scales we acquired from a reseller who poached them from DHL after they went bankrupt. Acitve X was the portal to talking with these and my tools. These had 9600 baud serial interfaces and I used Coldfusion to talk to them and get things from them so I could print a shipping label.

The purpose was to move away from having a server with shipping stuff on it at each fullfilment station.

The result was any client computer could, in a matter of minutes, because a fullfillment/shipping station. And we only needed one server.

We also had barcode software that was Active X based. We used it for everything you could imagine you would use a barcode for.

Internet Explorer was the only way we could do this in 2008-2009.

Things might be different now.

• Banned

@riking said:

I think I just found the bug.

My apologies, I misunderstood this bug, I thought it was IE9 only.

Per the above it affects

• Windows 7
    • IE9 and IE10 but not IE11
    • When there is ONLY one tab in the browser

I'm downloading a Windows 7 / IE10 VM from https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools to test and see if we can fix. IE9 I don't care too much about, it is our absolute rock bottom minimum browser we even support. But IE10 is still a target, works great for Discourse, and Win7 is going to be out there for a long time.. so we need to fix this one.

• Banned

This just in: Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 pro is horseshit.

[Window Title]
    Virtual Switch Manager for WUMPUS-HOME-PC

[Main Instruction]
    Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes

[Content]
    Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch.

[Expanded Information]
    Switch create failed, name = 'C690B878-151F-44B1-BBE5-A5962E875FA7', friendly name = 'New Virtual Switch': %%3758096900 (0xE0000204).

[^] Hide details  [Close]

Did you know you can press ctrl+c on an error dialog in Windows to copy it? ↑↑↑

Hey kids, did you also know that you can press ? on many popular websites to get a list of common keyboard shortcuts?

Yep. Yep. Yep.

• Banned

@necromancer said:

Same as my experience.

1. close down to just 1 tab open
    2. make sure you have a different app running in the background
    3. go to the main forum page
    4. click one of the filter buttons (new, unread, starred, top, categories)
    5. watch IE hide from you
    6. ???
    7. profit

Definite repro, no need to log in either:

Notepad was running in the background, then I clicked one of the top level tab items.

• @codinghorror said:

This just in: Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 pro is horseshit.

Hyper-V is pretty useless for development. Despite all of it's problems, VirtualBox works much better (of course, VMWare Workstation is by far the best).

@codinghorror said:

Did you know you can press ctrl+c on an error dialog in Windows to copy it?

Yes, works with regular message boxes, task dialogs and some other dialogs

@codinghorror said:

Hey kids, did you also know that you can press ? on many popular websites to get a list of common keyboard shortcuts?
    Never heard of that before Discourse.

BUG: clicking Quote text randomly inserts it at the beginning of edit dialog instead of where the cursor is.

• Banned

By this you mean the first toolbar button in the editor? The Quote Reply button is what pops up over highlighted text.

• Thanks for figuring that one out! I have it fixed now ;)

• Banned