Another reason to love THE Discourse

• Dupa

This is from long-press on back button in Safari on iOS (similar to right click on back button in desktop browsers).

Normal behavior:

Fucking Discourse:

Yippee-ka-yay, motherfucker!

• TIL history is spelled the same way in Spanish and Polish.

• That's why the Polish put diacritics on every other letter. So no-one will suspect it's really Spanish.

• Dupa

@Hanzo said:

That's why the Polish put diacritics on every other letter. So no-one will suspect it's really Spanish.

Heh heh, @Eldelshell got :hanzo:'d. Ooops, sorry: @Hanzo'd.

• @kt_ said:

Fucking Discourse:

Yippee-ka-yay, motherfucker!

Well, it looks like you have the "don't spam my history" option[1] enabled, so your history only shows the navigations you have actually triggered. If that option were off, you'd have an entry for every single post you read. What exactly are you complaining about?

[1] This:

Be warned: when you load your preferences, it doesn't correctly show the saved state of this setting. Very disco. Much bool.

• Dupa

Ok, I should've been more clear, I guess.

Notice, how on the xkcd screenshot, each record has a nice page title above the URL.

And then on the discourse screenshot, there is the URL in BOTH places, just truncated differently, except for the main page (because it looks like THE Discourse loves exceptions) where the title is recorded properly.

• Oh, that. You want Discourse to put something useful in your history? 😆

• Dupa

@abarker said:

Oh, that. You want Discourse to put something useful in your history? 😆

Well, the only thing I want from discourse now is that it allows for swift and painless migration to NodeBB. Yeah, I know, that's not gonna happen neither.

But yeah, not breaking my usual workflow would be great. I fail to see why should anyone be forced to adapt @wood's workflow.

• // add an onblur event which updates the location bar to indicate the scrolled position
    // this way, fewer locations will fill up the history, but if the tab has to reload you
    // should return to a relatively close spot to where you were when it last lost focus
    // the "Don't update URL while scrolling through topics" option has to be enabled or it doesn't
    // do anything useful (if I knew how to detect whether that option was enabled, I would be TRWTF)
    function updatePageURL() {
        var h = document.querySelector("header").offsetHeight;
        var post = Array.apply(0, document.querySelectorAll(".post-cloak"))
        .filter(e => e.getBoundingClientRect().top > h)[0];
        var url = post.querySelector(".post-date").href.replace(/^[^:]*:\/+[^\/]+|\?.*/g, "");
        window.history.replaceState({path: url}, "", url);
    }
    window.addEventListener("blur", updatePageURL);
    window.addEventListener("beforeunload", updatePageURL);

Unfortunately, Disconavigation doesn't trigger the beforeunload event because it's all AJAX, and it can't update the URL before you press Refresh so that the page reloads in the same spot (although the place where it updated will be in history).

• Also, why has nobody made a history cleaning addon for Firefox yet?

I want an addon that I can set up a filter list. E.g.

[
      {
        site:   "google.com",
        filter: "/url\\?.*",
        action: "delete"
      },
      {
        site:   "translate.google.com",
        filter: "/#.*",
        action: "delete"
      }
    ]

For bonus points, make this work:

{
      site:   "what.thedailywtf.com",
      filter: "/t/(?:.*[^\\d])(\\d+)/\\d*$",
      action: "replace"
    }

So a new URL that matches the regexp should override an old URL that also matches the regexp if the captured elements in both URLs are the same.

When I looked for one, everything I found was either "hide your history from your boss/wife!" or didn't work constantly without needing invocation.