Game switching Unity versions mid development turned out to be TR :wtf:

• Continuing the discussion from I am Blakeyrat, ask me anything.:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1390566 the first news

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1395548 for a full list of bugs

https://medium.com/@ragso/dreamfall-chapters-extreme-makeover-edition-or-the-rocky-road-to-unity-5-48e1f22ea62#.o7ncz0tdp a writeup

Unity 5 has introduced a huge number of new bugs to the game and to our production pipeline, including, but not limited to:

• Missing and faulty lighting and shadows. (The lighting system has
      also seen fundamental changes. This will eventually make things look
      better, but it’s not working as intended yet.)
    • Missing and faulty collision. (Due to fundamental changes to the
      collision system, Propast pavements have become insurmountable
      obstacles, while walls often offer no resistance whatsoever.)
    • Random game logic hiccups. (We're testing and trying to figure out what's broken.)
    • Random crashes on load. (We're trying to figure this one out as well.)
    • Crazy, exploding scenery!

• That's what killed duke nukem forever, they kept updating and changing engines

• FoxDev

@marczellm said:

Crazy, exploding scenery!

that's not a bug! that's an awesome feature!

• Unity is awful. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything better. I'm still waiting for a bug to be fixed that they promised Unity 5.2 would correct, but then it didn't. If your game is running fullscreen at a non-native resolution, the mouse position is incorrectly handled and you can't actually click on any UI elements unless you just happen to find the spot 400 pixels off where the game thinks the button actually is.

• BINNED

@mott555 said:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything better.

Unreal engine?

• @marczellm said:

Crazy, exploding scenery!

Surgical Strike a.k.a. Explosion!: The Game – 23:20
    — retsupurae

"Surgical Strike is kind of like Star Strike, but without the stick-waggle."

• Unreal is better if you know c++, unity is if you want to use c#. The way I handle it is having all game logic sent to a local .net46 project that acts as a local server and takes advantage of the changes from 35 to 46. It also ensures the only thing living in the unity project is strictly display items,so in theory I can port to any engine, and only have to update the ui code.(while involved, significantly more clean than all the game logic and implementation interfaces)

• BINNED

Don't they have UnrealScript any more? That used to be pretty powerful for most common stuff. Pretty readable, too.

I should get it installed now that I have a decent enough machine to work on, see how it goes..

• Yeah, they have their own proprietary scripting language, and if you're planning on going full Monty game dev, it's worth learning. But as a casual who makes random things and uses unity as a throw away better looking winforms app, it doesn't serve my purposes. If mvc self hosting would hurry the fuck up I could drop unity entirely for some of my projects.

And before you say it, fuck your wpf application.

• @Matches said:

And before you say it, fuck your wpf application.

It isn't that kind of game!

• No, actually. They dumped UnrealScript, so it's primarily C++ now. There IS a scripting system called Blueprint but it's not really a language as much as a visual graph logic designer. Basically what Kismet used to be in UE3/UDK.

• @blakeyrat said:

"Surgical Strike is kind of like Star Strike, but without the stick-waggle."

You see a barrel on the ground.

You launch four missiles.

"Weren't we in that building"

Nothing can touch it.

"It would be great if these girls just exp......."

BOOOM

"How did you call that?"

• I love how, to solve the problem of having both indoor and outdoor shooting in one game, they put the player in this doofy-ass-looking bumper car thing and call it a super high-tech military hover-vehicle.

They also say it weighs a quarter-ton, but goddamned in the first 4 minutes of that game ALONE they expend more than a quarter-ton worth of ammo.

When the supermodels on the beach exploded, I goddamned HOPE the writer put that in as intentional comedy. Because if not, jesus.

• @blakeyrat said:

They also say it weighs a quarter-ton, but goddamned in the first 4 minutes of that game ALONE they expend more than a quarter-ton worth of ammo.

I remember an attack helicopter sim that played it straight.

You flew to a target, stayed behind dunes, and popped up to acquire target and unloaded.

Before the mission, you were given an image of the underwing, and you had to pick what ammo you wanted, and you only got what physically fit.

If you ran out of ammo, you failed.

• cool_story_bro.mng

• @blakeyrat said:

When the supermodels on the beach exploded, I goddamned HOPE the writer put that in as intentional comedy. Because if not, jesus.

I'm pretty sure, the games of these times, mocked the action movies they based themselves off of, in this semi-serious spoof way. Similar to Expendables.

And I think they were playing to how many movies ended with women, and pulled a "oh no it's not over" thing.

Poe's law trope.

• BINNED

@Masaaki_Hosoi said:

Basically what Kismet used to be in UE3/UDK.

That's OK as long as I can avoid it. I remember trying UDK3. All tutorials were Kismet. I finally found one video where a guy explains how to set up directories and a project to start working in C++. After 5 minutes of moving files around I gave up on watching the 20 minute long video. If it takes that long for a test project thing you might discard... yeah, no.

• @mott555 said:

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything better.

I can think of lots of better alternatives! Unfortunately, almost all of them involve C++.

• @Onyx said:

I remember trying UDK3. All tutorials were Kismet. I finally found one video where a guy explains how to set up directories and a project to start working in C++. After 5 minutes of moving files around I gave up on watching the 20 minute long video. If it takes that long for a test project thing you might discard... yeah, no.

Twenty minutes to test-drive a technology to which you might eventually be committing months or years isn't necessarily unreasonable.

• Bro Force does that, except Bro Force is not entirely terrible as a game even if the 'Bro' schtick tires after a while.

• I love that game, it never tires on me.

Mostly because when I die, it's so over the top that even dying is fun.

• I went with Monogame for a couple reasons:

1. It's basically XNA, so it's really slim and fairly stable
    2. It works on Windows Universal, so I get a good UI system for free.

But if I want to port my game to another OS, I'll have to redo the UI, which sounds lame.