Non-Privacy Policy

• Informatica are doing a webinar deep dive and demo on the technical features of their new version, so I thought I'd give it a look. Have to sign up with their webinar service provider, fair enough I guess. User agreement and privacy policy look mostly OK, until I run into this bit (emsmallened because I call out the highlights at the end):

When you attend or view content in a Channel, you will automatically be subscribed to that Channel (a "Subscription"). When you attend or view a Channel, Summit, a webinar, a video or other content, BrightTALK may share your Profile Information including your email address and telephone number (as well as details and viewing times of the content you have viewed on that Channel, Summit, webinar, video or other content) with that Channel Owner or with the Sponsor of that Summit or webinar or owner of the content viewed (each a "Content Owner"). Further, we utilize smart technology that analyzes your Activity Data and matches you with other similar Channels, Summits, or other content ("Content Match"), and you will automatically be subscribed to such Channels, Summits, or other content. For the purposes of this Policy, "Summit" means a collection of various webinars on a particular topic that may include webinars from more than one Channel, and "Sponsor" means someone who sponsors a BrightTALK Summit or webinar or other content in exchange for brand promotion, thought leadership opportunities, and the leads generated from the Summit or webinar audience where applicable. In attending or viewing a Channel, Summit, webinar, video or other content, you consent to our sharing your Profile Information with both the Content Owner of the content you viewed and the Content Owner of any Content Matches, who may use such information to provide you with marketing messages, and we encourage you to review the Content Owner's own Privacy Policy to ensure you are satisfied with the provisions. BrightTALK does not control or limit, and we are not responsible for, the activities of Content Owners in the use, control and protection of personal information.
    Key points:
    • If you view anything in a channel, you are automatically subscribed to that channel
    • Plus anything else that they think is reasonablycan get away with calling similar
    • The owners of any content on any of those channels may send you marketing messages1
    • And do anything else they like with your personal information.

1 And therefore they "encourage you to review the Content Owner's own Privacy Policy to ensure you are satisfied with the provisions". Yeah, well, it would be nice if I could do that before you signed me up to their channel and gave them all my personal information, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure if I want to do this now. I could probably get our sales rep to send me something to read instead.

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

webinar

I have only ever heard this word coming from people over the age of 60.

• I guess you can drop that limit by a couple of decades now, then.

That's what they officially call it. I didn't say I liked the word, but it is becoming a standard term. I think Oracle also use it, though my experiences with them are more usually "webex" sessions with support. I'm not entirely sure what that one's even short for (web experience is my best guess, but I don't really want to delve any further than I have to into the mind of Oracle).

• Dupa

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

I think Oracle also use it

And all of the guys doing Internet marketing.

Sometimes they also call it "superwebinars" or "superbinars", or "i'll-show-you-a-way-to-be-ultimate-money-making-get-rich-and-be-awesome-by-buying-my-products-inars".

• Can we advocate for "lyinars"?

• We learnt that we shouldn't fill anything remotely useful in their forms, in the extreme cases you'll just apply for "use it once and throw it away" account.

Is there any problem?

• Java Dev

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

"webex" [...]. I'm not entirely sure what that one's even short for.

I think webex is a desktop sharing provider?

• BINNED

• TIL. The name probably still came from somewhere, though.

• Java Dev

@Luhmann said:

Now part of Cisco

I'm not surprised. All the crap communications software around here comes from cisco.

• BINNED

Maybe Cisco should buy CDCK?

• ♿ (Parody)

@ben_lubar said:

I have only ever heard this word coming from people over the age of 60.

You're a college kid. I've heard this a lot in corporate settings. Also the Cub Scouts did some last year to talk about the program changes.

• Dupa

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

Can we advocate for "lyinars"?

Well, why not "sodium-hydroxide-mixed-with-liquid-ars", or "soapinars" for short, then?

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

I'm not sure if I want to do this now.

Just do what I do and give them a Spamgourmet address.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

"We got a lot of leads from some company who owns the domain Go Fuck Yourself .com"

Though, even if you do fill in false profile info-- they still have your IP, browser fingerprint, plus whatever malwareanalytics they run on their webpage. Which they'll correlate with the malwareanalytics run on other webpages.

Unless you are smart and are running privacy protection plugins for your browser, like you should be.

Oh-- and if you do email their sales department and say "I'm not attending your Webinar because of the shittily shit-tastic shit in the shitty policy", you'll get back a response along the lines of:

"Many of our customers enjoy the rich experience provided by ShitFuckers Webinar Inc, and benefit from the mindshare of information." 💩

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

I'm not sure if I want to do this now.

Bah, just register as scarlet_manuka@mailinator.com. Let them subscribe you to whatever they want.

@Lorne_Kates said:

analytics

Well, whatever analytics ghostery+adblock doesn't block.

@Lorne_Kates said:

Unless you are smart and are running privacy protection plugins

This.

This post is deleted!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@FrostCat said:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

(post adblocked by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless called a greedy sociopathic asshole by @blakeyrat)

• FoxDev

(post misspellared by author, will be automatically gramming'd in 24 hours unless flogged)

• :belt_onion:

(post [REDACTED] by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless changed by the privacy policy)

• Yeah, me too. It seems to be a buzzword in certain corporate or educational environments.