Fallout 4 Thread OMG SPOILERS INSIDE MAYBE

• THOUGHTS ABOUT FALLOUT 4

#SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD

• Subtitles don't seem to work about half the time. The intro movie's subtitles are non-existant or broken, as is the wife's during the character creation, and when I talked to one character later on, his subtitle "stuck" and didn't change until the conversation ended.
    • I hate that my character is voiced. Hate so much. Hate hate hate. And natch, there's no way to turn it off.
    • I hate that my character is voiced PRIMARILY because it means my character has to say DUMB THINGS and I have to actually listen to them instead of ignoring them. Remember that Thieve's Guild quest in Skyrim? And how fucking retarded it made your character? "Why plant a stolen item on this merchant? Deeeeeeeerp!!! I am literally an infant!!!!!" Well, tons of shit in Fallout 4 is like that. "Did anybody make it out alive?" Well, let's see, there's like 40 people there and you've seen only 3 corpses so I'm guessing... ... ... ... ... yes? Dumbshit.
    • You get Dogmeat about 30 minutes in, and a suit of power armor about an hour in. WTF? Is this game like 2 hours long? All previous Fallouts, you've gotten power armor at the halfway point at best. And dogmeat (or the robo-dog in New Vegas) usually requires some effort to obtain.
    • I took my power armor into a flooded quarry. Protip: it doesn't have an oxygen tank. Another protip: it's heavy as shit and can't get out of the flooded quarry. So basically I'm like 2.5 hours in and I've already lost access to my power armor, LOL. Might go back to an older save. (Note: I don't blame the game, it was stupid to take it into the flooded quarry in the first place. I do kind of blame it for telling me the quarry was going to be drained at the end of the quest and it isn't.)

• ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

• West-coast Fallout games REPRESENT!
    • That dumb Pip-boy mobile app thing? Yeah, Fallout 4 ships with it firmly "disabled". Even Bethesda knew it was a dumb publicity stunt of no practical value.
    • I haven't seen the infamous Gamebryo "Burned Book" object yet. The object that's been in EVERY Gamebryo game so far. Even back to Morrowind. Gasp! I did find a "Burned Textbook" but it was different.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

I hate that my character is voiced. Hate so much. Hate hate hate. And natch, there's no way to turn it off.

Gah. We're doing that now, too?

I have this real gripe about this whole "voice all the things!" thing in RPGs that are either open world and/or highly moddable.

For the open world stuff it means you can either voice all the things, which requires disc / HDD space (which is less of a concern on PC but still a bit of a pain on consoles AFAIK) and is expensive as shit, or save on the money and space a bit by voicing only some of the things, which will probably result in a lot of whining form many reviewers / players.

For moddable games it sucks because any mod, no matter how well done, will immediately feel cheaper because most of the mod authors won't have access to good voice actors.

I remember how I could have a conversation with a single NPC in Morrowind for like half an hour! Sure, some of the stuff started repeating (there's only so much that can be said about a town that consists of three shacks and a tavern when you ask about local landmarks), but the framework is there. Hook in some better algorithms, get a decent writer or two just to work on dialog options and you can have hours of conversations crammed in at, comparatively, no cost.

Yes, I know, immersion and all that, yadda yadda. I never had problems immersing myself in a game because I didn't hear character voices. Good dialogue can make the character come to life better than 4 lines of half-assed voice acting. As a recent example, I played the Shadowrun games (only just started Hong Kong though). Not a single piece of voice acting. And I could probably tell you more about that random electrician I met in one mission and which I talked into letting me fiddle with the wires and disable the alarms as a consequence than 99% of all voiced NPCs in most other RPGs. Because there was loads of details in there if you cared enough to engage with the character. All in plain text.

I'm not saying you can't do that with voice acting, too. But it probably won't happen. Not due to incompetence, probably not even due to space constraints, but mostly the cost. Text is cheap. Voice acting is expensive. Personally, I'd rather have more of the former than tiny amounts of the latter.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

I hate that my character is voiced PRIMARILY because it means my character has to say DUMB THINGS and I have to actually listen to them instead of ignoring them.

Yeah it's annoying. I found pressing the arrow keys during the speech skips bits of it and gets it out of the way quicker.

@blakeyrat said:

So basically I'm like 2.5 hours in and I've already lost access to my power armor

If you go east along the top of the map from Vault 111 there's another full set near the satellite station.

• @Onyx said:

Gah. We're doing that now, too?

I guess they wanted to make it more like a Bioware game?

But the voiced "me" is the worst thing about Bioware games. If you're going to steal anything from Bioware, that ain't a good choice.

@Onyx said:

Yes, I know, immersion and all that, yadda yadda.

This is ANTI-immersion.

Look, if I'm playing the game as "me" (i.e. I'm inserting myself in the role) well, uh, that voice isn't my voice so that doesn't work. If I'm actually playing a role, well, I guess there's a small chance that voice will fit the role you've picked, but there's a large chance it won't. What if I want my male Wanderer/Courier/whatever the protagonist in Fallout 4 is called to be a Clint Eastwood-type? Well, that voice Bethesda picked doesn't sound like Clint Eastwood and there's no other options. What if I want him to be a Southerner? Well that voice doesn't have a Southern accent and there's no other options. Etc.

So you can have the protagonist be a character pre-defined with a pre-defined background before you get to the game, and then give them a voice. That kind of works. Master Chief is always Master Chief, it's not like you get to create and name your own Master Chief.

But if you let the player create a character, then it makes no sense to then give that character a voice that probably won't fit that character. Skyrim definitely had the technology and budget to voice the main character, but they did not because it's a bad idea.

If it was like Wizardry 8, and they had like 32 different voices to pick for the character, I'd give it a pass. Wizardry 8 rocked.

@loopback0 said:

If you go east along the top of the map from Vault 111 there's another full set near the satellite station.

That's good to know, I figured there were other sets in the game. I didn't want to Google it because I'm afeared of spoilers. (And due to work schedule and such I won't get to REALLY dig in until Friday. Probably won't even be able to touch the game today.)

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

This is ANTI-immersion.

Oh, I agree there. My point there was that I'd remove voice acting from most, if not all, NPCs as well to make way for more backstory that can be presented in text instead of potentially cutting it because you can't get all that audio in for one reason or another. Which I guess is debatable, but whatever.

Voicing the main character is a complete fail, no question about it.

• kills Dumbledore

@Onyx said:

Voicing the main character is a complete fail, no question about it

It ruined FF10. I especially liked how you could name your character and then they had to get around the awkward aspect of none of the voice acting being able to use your name, so it would all be "he" and "him"

• Blakey, is it worth the 60$?

• I'm the wrong person to ask because I like the open world RPG type of game SO MUCH that I buy all of them even if they suck.

Case in point: I own Two Worlds.

• But the real question; Did you enjoy Two worlds?

• I enjoyed making fun of the characters' huge heads for about an hour. Then I got disgusted at the awful combat system and stopped.

Actually I lied, I don't buy the Risen games or any games from that company whose name I can't remember, because they suck. I'm all about Bethesda or STALKER-type games though.

EDIT: I also don't play The Witcher games, because I tried the first one and I really fucking HATE the protagonist. Also it was shitty.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

Actually I liked

LIAR! @blakeyrat doesn't Like

Turn-based combat stuff, yes or no? Things like Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Disgaea?

• @FrostCat said:

Turn-based combat stuff, yes or no?

Depends; I enjoyed all the older Might & Magic, Dungeons and Dragons Gold Box, Wizardry etc. genre of games.

@FrostCat said:

Things like Fire Emblem,

I don't buy Nintendo shit.

@FrostCat said:

Advance Wars,

@FrostCat said:

Disgaea?

I actually tried one of these on my Vita. It was boring as fuck. (You played as some kid who was like the son of the devil or something and you were in like "evil school" and you had to recruit other monsters to help you fight... something. The "joke" if you could call it that was that he was this evil guy but he idolized a good comic book hero.)

The pacing killed the game more than the combat specifically, but the combat was also no fun at all.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Another thread where my appearance is required...

@blakeyrat said:

I know, but those were the first two examples of the genre I could think of.

@blakeyrat said:

the combat was also no fun at all.

Supposedly you're supposed to abuse the mechanics to get a bunch of combos every turn. How you're supposed to figure that out on your own I don't know.

The combat in The Banner Saga seems to be square-grid turn-based, too.

• @FrostCat said:

Supposedly you're supposed to abuse the mechanics to get a bunch of combos every turn.

I didn't get that far in.

I also forgot to mention the UI was ATROCIOUS. I've played a lot of grid-based combat games and they generally live or die on their UI. (X-Com for example, both new and old had pretty good UIs.) That weird Operation Darkness Xbox 360 game had a decent UI. (Note that nobody in Japan can design or appreciate a good UI-- that's why Sony stuff is so popular there in the first place.) (And yes I just realized Operation Darkness was a Japanese game and so now I sound like a hypocrite but fuck you.)

Disgaeuaeue I kept fucking up, and found my fuck-ups were "committed" without any good way to undo them before end of turn. It was super frustrating.

Also it took WAY too long, especially for a mobile game. You're fighting 3 goblins. Whelp! There's 15 minutes or more gone! I can't imagine what the fights in the end-game were like. Hours, presumably.

@blakeyrat said:

I didn't get that far in.

Neither did I on the PSP one I bought. I think it was because I didn't know you were supposed to abuse the mechanics, and the combat difficulty ramped up so quickly I couldn't get very far.

In that type of game, usually you have to press a button to confirm you want to move somewhere, and you're committed once you do. Or else you can move, and undo it, but only until you attack. So you would have a bunch of people move to touch each other to get a combo, and one attacks, and then you undo everyone else's move and do the whole thing again.

I think--it's been like 8 years since I played.

• @FrostCat said:

In that type of game, usually you have to press a button to confirm you want to move somewhere, and you're committed once you do.

Well. X-Com and Blood Bowl (to give two off-the-top-of-my-head examples) are the same way, but somehow I rarely or never managed to commit my move in either accidentally. Probably because both require additional "are you sure this is your move" prompts that Diseioueuoue either doesn't have, or has but aren't well-designed.

• I remember watching a documentary a while back on how Bethesda (or maybe Bioware, can't remember) test their games. It was in a huge theater-like setup, with various producers and managers sitting in the audience, while someone is demonstrating the game on the big screen.

The filmmakers/reporters were obviously very impressed with the setup. Games are finally making it big, that sort of thing. But all I could think of was, this explains a lot about the direction single player AAA games are heading.

• @cartman82 said:

But all I could think of was, this explains a lot about the direction single player AAA games are heading.

?

User testing is a well-established practice in ALL software development. Unless you do like API-based B2B development.

• @blakeyrat said:

User testing is a well-established practice in ALL software development. Unless you do like API-based B2B development.

You don't get it.

They are testing it like they are watching a movie.
    Not like they are playing a game.

• @cartman82 said:

You don't get it.

Then explain it.

@cartman82 said:

They are testing it like they are watching a movie.

... so?

@cartman82 said:

Not like they are playing a game.

... and that is significant because...?

I am assuming they they have the person with the controller narrating their actions and thoughts as they go along. Otherwise the exercise would seem kind of pointless.

BUT EVEN IF HE WASN'T the popularity of Twitch shows that there's value to making a game watchable by people who aren't directly controlling it. So I still think the exercise would be worthwhile.

So I got sidetracked with the first couple of workshop missions...
    It doesn't give you much guidance, leaves you to figure a lot out. I don't hate this approach, it's just very different from most other games which essentially babysit you through everything.

I like Fallout 4 so far... it makes me wish I'd played Fallout 3 more.

@cartman82 said:

They are testing it like they are watching a movie. Not like they are playing a game.

And they absolutely don't test it like they're playing a game as well as that, but it wasn't interesting enough to be shown on the documentary?

• @blakeyrat said:

BUT EVEN IF HE WASN'T the popularity of Twitch shows that there's value to making a game watchable by people who aren't directly controlling it. So I still think the exercise would be worthwhile.

Exactly. Which is why you get fully voiced Fallout 4 protagonist.

Because it makes for a better show when big bosses are demoed the progress in that theater. Because twitch streamers will have an easier time filling in the silence. It's better for watching.

You guys have whined about Bethesda giving up on immersive silent protagonist and rich text-based dialogues. I'm explaining why that's happening.

• @cartman82 said:

You guys have whined about Bethesda giving up on immersive silent protagonist and rich text-based dialogues. I'm explaining why that's happening.

No you're not. At best you're making a wild assumption.

• @blakeyrat said:

No you're not. At best you're making a wild assumption.

You know I'm right.

• @blakeyrat said:

Probably because both require additional "are you sure this is your move" prompts that Diseioueuoue either doesn't have, or has but aren't well-designed.

Good news! Aside from throwing other characters around the map, actions in Disgaea 5 are not committed until you choose "Activate" from the map menu, and you can back out of them in any order and at any time until then. I also hear there's a triple digit level cap rather than quadruple like previous games, so there's only an obscene amount of grinding rather than a life-destroying amount.

I wouldn't recommend it for you though.

• How are there 5 of those? Japanese are bad at making and buying games.

• It's what Nippon Ichi Software is burning all of their Hyperdimension Neptunia profits on instead of hookers and blow.

• Gripes thus far:

1. On initial launch I got an immediate hard crash. Not, loaded intro movies then crash, but click Play and immediate hard crash.
      a. Turns out when the crappy bootstrapper auto-detected my graphics settings it defaulted the resolution to 1024x768 or some fucking antique resolution not supported by my monitor.

2. If you have an XBox One controller plugged in, mouse and keyboard DO NOT WORK with the main menus. I pounded on my keyboard for a solid minute before I realized I had the controller plugged in then tried it.

• @MathNerdCNU said:

1) On initial launch I got an immediate hard crash. Not, loaded intro movies then crash, but click Play and immediate hard crash.

That'll teach ya.

@MathNerdCNU said:

a. Turns out when the crappy bootstrapper auto-detected my graphics settings it defaulted the resolution to 1024x768 or some fucking antique resolution not supported by my monitor.

See? You've been taught.

It's Gamebryo. It's amazing ANYTHING works.

@MathNerdCNU said:

2) If you have an XBox One controller plugged in, mouse and keyboard DO NOT WORK with the main menus. I pounded on my keyboard for a solid minute before I realized I had the controller plugged in then tried it.

Worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But then my controller is a Xbox 360 one. My Xbone controller is shockingly plugged into my Xbone.

• LINKING THIS ARTICLE:

MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THIS GIF:

Which exactly happened to me last Sunday and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

WTF is going on with Discourse and GIFs? Why is it showing at 1/10th size? FUCK THIS FORUM. I'll be a horrible person and hotlink it:

[img]http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/UniformRealImperialeagle.gif[/img]

@blakeyrat said:

MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THIS GIF:

Could that be any smaller?

edit: nevermind.

I've not discovered that tunnel yet, but I also stopped having Dogmeat as a companion a fwhile back too.

• FUCK yYOU YOU PIECE OF SHIT this is DISCOURSE you thinK I WANTED It that fucking way? ?!?

You think it's not already painful enough having to use this giant box of ASSSS to try to communicate with people, you have to fucking rub it in how imposisble it is to make any post look right?

Fuck you.

• @blakeyrat said:

1/10th size?

NOREPRO, Discourse has upscaled it, I assume because it doesn't look quite as bad when it's thumbnail sized.

• @hungrier said:

NOREPRO, Discourse has upscaled it, I assume because it doesn't look quite as bad when it's thumbnail sized.

No I did that hoping that Discourse hadn't fucked up the actual image, but just fucked up the image tag to it. I was wrong natch.

• Oh. I think I saw the same thing earlier so I figured it must be a Discobug.

• At least you didn't blame me for Discourse's bugs, like asshole loopass up there.

I didn't think you'd done it deliberately.
    Christ, you'd think I'd gone "OMG BLAKEYRAT IS DUMB LOL" or something.

• ♿ (Parody)

@loopback0 said:

Christ, you'd think I'd gone "OMG BLAKEYRAT IS DUMB LOL" or something.

I'm kind of disappointed that you didn't.

@boomzilla said:

I'm kind of disappointed that you didn't.

I wish I had now.

• @blakeyrat said:

@loopback0 said:

That's good to know, I figured there were other sets in the game. I didn't want to Google it because I'm afeared of spoilers. (And due to work schedule and such I won't get to REALLY dig in until Friday. Probably won't even be able to touch the game today.)

What? You're not ranting at him for offering help when you DIDN'T ASK FOR HELP? Wow. Mind blown.

• Right, I know I'm pretty late to the party but I need to vent a little. Overall the game is good, terrible time sink though! Not as good as The Witcher 3 but still good.

Anyways, some of my random observations...

Steam wants 79.95 USD for it here is Australia. I guess shipping all of those bytes must be expensive! Fuck them, bought it elsewhere, actives on Steam so they still have to ship those super-expensive bytes, muhaha.

What the fuck is up with this light texture? It looks like it's upscaled about 300 times.

This happened in the middle of a dialogue where the "woman" was trying to explain to me just how much human she is:

I guess the camera got too close. The faces aren't too bad otherwise, except for your infant sonwax figurine which looks creepy as fuck!

There aren't enough guns... Yes, the few guns that do exist can be modded but that's not really enough to make them interesting. The exception is the "pipe" gun which can be modded to hell but I never grew to like it. It's a home-made gun cobbled together from whatever could be found. Interesting idea but Metro 2033 executed it much better. The biggest problem is that by default it is week as hell. By the time I was able to mod it I found better weapons already. Compared to New Vegas I was disappointed.

The main story didn't intrigue me very much either. You see, at the start of the game you spend about 5 minutes with your wife and child and the game magically expects you to care about them. Even the Vault-Tec salesman who visits your house at the start of the game is more memorable.

And finally, the rant of them all, the fucking UI/UX.

Bethesda needs to fire their UI designer. Hahaha, who am I kidding, judging by their previous titles they never employed one. As usual the whole UI is form over function and it's fucking terrible. And by "it" I mean the actual interaction. It looks to me as if they design the whole bloody thing in Photoshop, with no consideration for UX whatsoever, and then just have some intern implement it.

Key bindings

OK, first of all I will admit that I am a super-special snowflake when in comes to my keyboard layout. Basically if you ever needed to really stress-test your controls you'd call me.

Instead of your regular WASD I use ESDF. The reason is simple: extra easily reached keys to the left. In games I usually just shift the default bindings one key to the right and then use the extra keys for some commonly used stuff such as throwing grenades, medkits, etc.

To add a layer of complexity, what I said above about ESDF isn't entirely accurate. It's actually .OEU since I use the Programmer Dvorak layout keyboard layout and my gaming PC is also my programming PC...

Now Fallout deserves some credit for even allowing one to bind a Dvorak keyboard. An unfortunately large number of games shit themselves as soon as you try to bind the period as the move forward key (fuck you very much).

Well, now that I have complimented Fallout it is time to start shoveling the manure...

None of the menu controls can be rebound!

The good case is that the hotkeys are in completely idiotic positions. Observe this screen.

Now observe a Dvorak keyboard - see where I'm going with this? I'd have to perform keyboard gymnastics if I ever wanted to press those. Luckily you can still use the mouse to click those buttons instead, in most cases.

One massive exception is the settlement building interface. There the key for placing shit is E. You know, the same key as for walking backwards. Now, this is where my exotic keyboard layout actually saves me. You know what it would conflict with when using ESDF on a regular QWERTY keyboard? Why only the move forward key of course!

Unfortunately precision placement of stuff usually requires one to walk backwards too so when I need to do a lot of building I have to use my XBOX controller instead... I don't use it otherwise because I am not enough of a sadist to try to aim with an an analogue stick. So every time I need to build I have to plug the damn thing in, build the stuff and then unplug it again. Why? Because when the controller is plugged in none of the keyboard inputs work of course!

Main menu

The main menu has some cool shit in the background. This means the actual UI is a second-class citizen. Best example is the Controls screen where only about 1/4 is actually useful...

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. sounds

At the start of the game on when picking your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats some fucking annoying cartoonish sounds play. Here I am trying to decide what I'm going to go for and I can't think because I'm being distracted by this shit.

Perks screen

My first five levels I spent dumping points into the main stats instead of choosing perks. Why? Because those were the only things that weren't greyed out! I figured that since the whole damn rest of the screen is greyed out - the universal indicator for "you can't use this" - I haven't reached the appropriate level yet to unlock them.

It's gimmicky as fuck and you have to mouse over everything one by one to learn what it does, all the while more of those annoying cartoonish sounds play...

VATS

So VATS used to completely pause the game. It does so no longer, it just makes everything slow-motion. Terrible fucking idea because they did nothing to address the horrible controls. I'm trying to click on the enemy's head but it's selecting the butt instead... I suppose you could use the buttons instead of the mouse but as we've established before the keys are in stupid positions...

Inventory

I find myself duping skill points into strength in every single Fallout 3+ game, despite not playing a melee build. This is because I need more carrying capacity because I am constantly overloaded. This is only in part because of my take-everything-not-nailed-down-and-sell-it OCD.

The big reason is that the inventory UI is atrocious and you can never find anything. For example if you pick up a holotape and want to play it you have to dig through the entirety of your "Misc" section, hoping you'll remember what it was called. This somehow regressed because previously all holotapes were under their own section, with clear indication of what you already listened to. What the fuck Bethesda?

Wondering where the hell all my carrying capacity was disappearing to I did a full inventory of the crap I was carrying...
    259 total
    63 weapons
    41 apparel
    151 aid
    4 misc

151 pounds of aid? What the hell?! Sorting everything by weight the heaviest item was 1 pound! Oh wait, you silly person, you made the mistake of thinking that sort actually works. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't. Because it doesn't take into consideration the amount!

See this screen?

It's useless! Literally not one thing is in the correct position. 1x1 pound worth of Brahmin Meat is at the top, while 1x27 pounds of Nuca Cola Quantum are not!

@Deadfast said:

151 pounds of aid?

Huh? Does anything in the aid section weigh 1 "weight unit"?

@Deadfast said:

Brahmin Meat is at the top

Alphabetical sort, no?

• @loopback0 said:

Huh? Does anything in the aid section weigh 1 "weight unit"?

All the meat stuff usually does.

@loopback0 said:

Alphabetical sort, no?

Well, yes, it sorts it by weight and then by alphabet. I have no problem with that if the weight sort was actually useful, i.e. it took the amount into consideration.

• @Deadfast said:

Key bindings

OK, first of all I will admit that I am a super-special snowflake when in comes to my keyboard layout. Basically if you ever needed to really stress-test your controls you'd call me.

It's a VIDEO GAME designed to be used with a GAME CONTROLLER.

Use a GAME CONTROLLER.

@Deadfast said:

To add a layer of complexity, what I said above about ESDF isn't entirely accurate. It's actually .OEU since I use the Programmer Dvorak layout keyboard layout and my gaming PC is also my programming PC...

Right; and obviously it's impossible to just select a different keyboard layout from the little menu in the taskbar.

You sound like a really annoying person.

@Deadfast said:

Unfortunately precision placement of stuff usually requires one to walk backwards too so when I need to do a lot of building I have to use my XBOX controller instead...

Wait you HAVE an Xbox controller? (It's not spelled "XBOX" BTW.) And you don't use it for playing Fallout?

Now you REALLY sound like an annoying person.

@Deadfast said:

I don't use it otherwise because I am not enough of a sadist to try to aim with an an analogue stick.

Right. Those 100 million people playing FPS games with game controllers are all sadists. That is not at all an insane and ridiculous thing to say.

@Deadfast said:

Why? Because when the controller is plugged in none of the keyboard inputs work of course!

You could just NOT unplug it and use the game as intended.

@Deadfast said:

Best example is the Controls screen where only about 1/4 is actually useful...

Right; the best use of Bethesda's time would be to spend months working out how best to change the control screen for those people who are so special they don't just use Dvorak, but they actually use modded Dvorak, and are also so idiotic they don't simply flip the keyboard layout using the little menu in the system tray. This is the type of person they should spend time making happy.

@Deadfast said:

Here I am trying to decide what I'm going to go for and I can't think because I'm being distracted by this shit.

Seriously? This complaint is so petty, I think we need a stronger word than "petty" to describe it.

@Deadfast said:

It's gimmicky as fuck and you have to mouse over everything one by one to learn what it does, all the while more of those annoying cartoonish sounds play...

You know if you use a controller on the perks screen, supermodels who also have a 160 IQ come out of your screen and help you decide on a perk while also stripping.

@Deadfast said:

Terrible fucking idea because they did nothing to address the horrible controls.

Works fine for m-- OH WAIT you are too "kewl" to pick up your fucking controller.

@Deadfast said:

This is only in part because of my take-everything-not-nailed-down-and-sell-it OCD.

#I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO ARE MENTALLY ILL AND SPEND HALF THEIR PLAYTIME PICKING UP WORTHLESS SHIT AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GAME AS IF THE GAME'S DEVELOPERS SHOULD HAVE ANTICIPATED AND ACCOMMODATED THEIR MENTAL ILLNESS.

Seriously. I see this all the fucking time, it drives me crazy. The worse thing is Fallout 4 actually caters to freaks like you.

THE PROBLEM IS IN YOUR BRAIN there is nothing Bethesda can do to help you.

@Deadfast said:

For example if you pick up a holotape and want to play it you have to dig through the entirety of your "Misc" section, hoping you'll remember what it was called.

Or you can just press X right after picking it up (I think it's X? Can't remember.) But you'd have to keep your controller plugged in longer than a few seconds.

@Deadfast said:

It's useless! Literally not one thing is in the correct position. 1x1 pound worth of Brahmin Meat is at the top, while 1x27 pounds of Nuca Cola Quantum are not!

It's all in the correct position, considering YOU HAVE IT SORTED BY NAME AND THE SCREEN SAYS RIGHT FUCKING THERE YOU NEED TO HIT Z TO SORT BY WEIGHT.

(Admittedly, "Sort (WT)" is a little obscure when you first see it, but it's not too hard to figure out. And I'm sure its in Fallout 4's help section which I didn't bother reading.)

@Deadfast said:

I have no problem with that if the weight sort was actually useful, i.e. it took the amount into consideration.

So press Z again.

@blakeyrat said:

It's a VIDEO GAME designed to be used with a GAME CONTROLLER.

True, but unless you're Deadfast it also works fine with a keyboard and mouse.

• Well you know I was going to use Dvorak but that's not hipster enough. A full 4 dozen people know about it. So I'm going to make a Dvorak MOD and use that. Then bitch that nothing supports it.