What are the most polarizing programming languages?

• Wow, taking helium to a language war: What are the most polarizing programming languages?

He compares the likes and dislikes technology tags have received from Stackoverflow Careers participants. I think the best part is "Tags associated with polarized people" where the snobs come out. Haskell is on top there. There is also "which tags were associated with the least polarized people". Second mention is Oracle.

I CANNOT SMILEY HOW FUNNY THIS ALL IS.

• Hmm. Used to work with a guy who was kind of a Forth missionary.

• Yes, Haskell is on top with a whole 1.2 dislikes. What snobbery.

• Am I reading this correctly? Git is the most liked technology in that first group? And .NET is the most disliked?

• Yeah, but they're the top n most liked.

• BINNED

Wow, likes and dislikes tags in a careers site? This whole thing is bound to produce all kinds of messed up metrics.

For example, I like jQuery because it means less faffing about with JavaScript, which I generally dislike. So should I put them in opposing columns? What if someone looks at that and thinks I have no idea what I'm talking about ("hurr durr, look at this idiot, he has no idea jQuery is actually written in JavaScript lololololo")?

Hey, how about stuff I'm competent at vs. the stuff I know nothing about? Because then JavaScript and jQuery go in the same column, as they are damned well supposed to!

And PHP is a pile of crap too, but I'll take a good PHP job because I'm competent at it, mostly. I don't want it in the dislike section because that might mean I don't get an offer for a good PHP job I might enjoy overall, language be damned. Which is kinda the situation I'm in when it comes to JavaScript currently too, with all the stuff I'm working on with SockDrawer folk. I'm not fond of JS, nor Node, but hey, it's fun projects and I like working on them regardless (even though I haven't for weeks now, stupid work is being a pain).

• @Onyx said:

Wow, likes and dislikes tags in a careers site? This whole thing is bound to produce all kinds of messed up metrics.

Yes 😄

@Onyx said:

And PHP is a pile of crap too, but I'll take a good PHP job because I'm competent at it, mostly. I don't want it in the dislike section because that might mean I don't get an offer for a good PHP job I might enjoy overall, language be damned.

I wouldn't know how to express my preferences either. Which is why I think it's so funny!

• @Captain said:

Yes, Haskell is on top with a whole 1.2 dislikes. What snobbery.

We're talking about averages here. I would probably 'like' Haskell and a lot of other technologies and not 'dislike' any. What this number shows is that people who announce liking Haskell are much more likely to dislike other technologies. So I presume the Haskell community has more outspoken judgmental people, snobs, than other communities. Of course using the word snob is in itself a value judgement. If you're rankled by my use of it (for cheap comedic effect) I feel all the more justified for using it 😃

Does Haskell turn you into a snob or do snobs use Haskell? An important question! I know from my own experience that learning Haskell (well, some basics) led me to judge other languages much more harshly. I'm a snob in violation of my own principles if you will.

• Yeah but the point is you wouldn't ever add Git to the "dislikes" field because YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A JOB AND GIT IS USED ALMOST EVERYWHERE.

So this whole exercise is dumb.

• But who would use Git when CVS is a thing? 🚎

• @rc4 said:

But who would use Git when CVS is a thing? 🚎

Well, you'd think so, but If GIT is not for you, everything can be found in good old CVS as well."

From http://www.landley.net/code/tinycc/

• @rc4 said:

But who would use Git when CVSCSV is a thing?

FTFMB

• ♿ (Parody)

@ben_lubar said:

@rc4 said:
    But who would use Git when CVSCSV is a thing?

FTFMB

I'd rather go to Rite Aid.