Toto: block ads, buy tv dongle, use it to play 80s rock

• ♿ (Parody)

18 posts were split to a new topic: Anime Dumpster

• @ben_lubar said:

@Vaire said:
    Ads? What are Ads?

Am I the only person who was in favor of adblock's option to show non-annoying ads?

Yes.

• @ben_lubar said:

@Vaire said:
    Not opening myself up to tracking ALL OF THE THINGS

How exactly does Google Analytics do that more than any other website logging device? Are you scared that the government will know what your screen resolution is?

The government will get my screen resolution when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands. The founding fathers of this country fought a war for freedom of screen resolution.

Filed under: Give me 4k or give me death

• FoxDev

@ben_lubar said:

Am I the only person who was in favor of adblock's option to show non-annoying ads?

you are not.

My ad blocking rules are actually pretty simple:

• Is it Flash?
    • BLOCKED!
    • is it HTML5 video?
    • BLOCKED!
    • is it a full page popover ad?
    • BLOCKED
    • is it a paywall?
    • /me hits backspace to leave the page
    • is it a captive ad (the kind that prevents you from leaving the site until you see the ad)
    • BLOCKED! and i'm sending you a nastygram via email.
    • Is it a youtube preroll ad?
    • Not blocked unless you are the sort of asshole that puts an ad longer than ca.90 seconds as a preroll ad. then all ads on your channel are blocked

... that's about it really. don't annoy me with the ad and i'll let it show. annoy me and i'm likely to leave and not come back.

• BINNED

@accalia said:

- is it a paywall?

• /me hits backspace to leave the page

Alternatively, on some sites these days:

• /me opens the inspector and deletes the overlay div from the DOM

@accalia said:

Not blocked unless you are the sort of asshole that puts an ad longer than ca.90 seconds as a preroll ad. then all ads on your channel are blocked

How do you block per-channel? I'd like that, but I haven't found a reliable way so far.

• FoxDev

@Onyx said:

Alternatively, on some sites these days:

/me opens the inspector and deletes the overlay div from the DOM

nope. I could do that, but the way i see it is you put the paywall in place and i do not think your content is worth what you are asking for it, well then i'm not going to get your content.

I only pirate when it's impossible to get access to a thing legit, i can get access to the content behind the pay wall legit, so i will not pirate.

it's a ethical choice i made for myself. YMMV

@Onyx said:

How do you block per-channel? I'd like that, but I haven't found a reliable way so far.

it doesn't work perfectly, but Adblock is generally on top of things like that.

• BINNED

Huh... will have to try installing AdBlock then, I don't see such an option in my current blocker...

• @accalia said:

Not blocked unless you are the sort of asshole that puts an ad longer than ca.90 seconds as a preroll ad. then all ads on your channel are blocked

Wow you're a dick.

You realize it the ad's creator who specifies the length, not the creator whose channel shows the ad, right? So you're punishing video makers for something completely beyond their control.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Wow you're a dick.

and the asshole that puts up the 30 minute ad is?

I've had quite enough of those. the occasional long ad i'm willing to tolerate, but if your channel ads are routinely long then yes i am going to block them because fuck ads longer than the actual content.

• @Captain said:

Is @ben_lubar the only person who was in favor of adblock's option to show non-annoying ads?

I wouldn't say I'm in favor of it, per se, but I haven't bothered disabling it either, because whatever it's allowing is so non-annoying that I don't even notice them. However, I do have Ghostery set to block pretty much any sort of tracking that might be used to make them "relevant."

• @accalia said:

you don't need cookies to be tracked, you don't need google analytics to be tracked

True; however, I don't have to make it any easier for them.

• But you're punishing the wrong person!

• FoxDev

tell me how ican punish the right person then.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@accalia said:

Not being able to punish the right person doesn't make it okay to punish the wrong person.

• FoxDev

@loopback0 said:

@accalia said:

Not being able to punish the right person doesn't make it okay to punish the wrong person.

and yet if i do nothing nothing changes.

I made my choices, i'm willing to put up with midroll ads as those are actualy as far as i can tell constrained in length by Youtube. i'm willing to put up with the semi-transparent- pop over/popunder ads. I was even willing to put up with long preroll ads back when after about 30 seconds the option to skip ad was available.

hell i'll even put up with thye occasional long preroll ad on channels because i know that they can't directly control the length of the preroll ads, but if whatever their ad settings are give me long preroll ads on a regular basis i'm not putting up with it.

I'm sorry that that punishes the youtuber, but i have no option to punish the person who gave me the thirty minute, unskippable, ad. And until i do the best i can do is drop the youtuber a line letting them know their ad settings are producing unacceptably long ads (with citations to the exact ad if possible), and telling them that because of that i'm going to be blocking ads on their channel for a while.

If the youtuber has a tip jar, or a patreon or something and i am a regular follower of them i'll almost always drop a couple of bucks on them to make up for the ad revenue, but if they don't have one i can't exactly do that now can i?

• @accalia said:

I don't think you can. I don't know for sure.

That doesn't make it right or just to be a dick and punish the wrong person.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

I don't think you can. I don't know for sure.

then we're back to square one. I can either do nothing and nothing gets changed or i can provide pressure top change by discouraging ad settings that allow overlong, unskipable ads.

i'm not heartless in this matter, but i wont swallow watching a 30 minute, unskipable ad just to see a 5 minute video clip.

and i'm pretty damn sure neither would you.

• @accalia said:

and yet if i do nothing nothing changes.

NOTHING CHANGES EITHER WAY, YOUTUBE HAS A FUCKING MONOPOLY!

Goddamned you people be dumb.

@accalia said:

I'm sorry that that punishes the youtuber, but i have no option to punish the person who gave me the thirty minute, unskippable, ad.

Seriously, though, how many times has this actually come up? I watch probably on average a dozen YouTube videos a day, I don't do ad blocking at all, and I've seen it... once. I think. And that was ages ago, before the "skip" button even existed, which (I'm pretty sure) YouTube forces to be active for ad videos longer than X seconds, where X is a number far smaller than 30 minutes.

It's significantly more likely that YouTube just had a bug and showed you the wrong video entirely, since YouTube is a buggy piece of shit and nobody there cares because it's a fucking monopoly.

In any case, IT'S BAD AND WRONG TO PUNISH PEOPLE FOR THINGS BEYOND THERE CONTROL AND THERE IS NO DEBATE ABOUT THAT YOU ARE DOING BAD AND WRONG THINGS.

@accalia said:

If the youtuber has a tip jar, or a patreon or something and i am a regular follower of them i'll almost always drop a couple of bucks on them to make up for the ad revenue, but if they don't have one i can't exactly do that now can i?

You're a fucking liar. Nobody does that.

If people like you actually used tip jars 1/50th of the times they say "well I would have used a tip jar!" then the channel would have been ad-free years ago because that would already be a more effective model.

Of course it would never work on YouTube anyway, since like 80% of YouTube views come from dumbshit kids sitting in detention watching Pew Die Pie making rape jokes, and those mouth-breathers ain't never gonna donate money.

• @accalia said:

then we're back to square one. I can either do nothing and nothing gets changed

NOTHING GETS CHANGED EITHER WAY, YOUTUBE IS A MONOPOLY, YOU HAVE AN IQ OF 6.

Goddamned. Engage the brain and THINK. What is Google's incentive to change ANYTHING here? No matter how much you block? There's no incentive. If there's no incentive, there's no action. THINK ABOUT IT.

@accalia said:

i'm not heartless in this matter, but i wont swallow watching a 30 minute, unskipable ad just to see a 5 minute video clip.

BUT THOSE DON'T EVEN HAPPEN! Seriously, you're just making shit up to try to justify to yourself the ad blocking. If you're going to be a dick, just say "I block ads because I'm a dick", don't make it into some goddamned crusade for justice. Which doesn't even make sense, since there's NO WAY blocking ads can lead to changes in YouTube's behavior.

Goddamned. I'm no fan of ad blocking, but delusional people are even worse.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Seriously, though, how many times has this actually come up?

depends on the channels, i see it actually fairly frequently on those hyper monetized channels that do midroll ads every five minutes or three times per video, which ever is more ads. I also see it on channels that source ads from other youtubers.

most channels i don't see it so most channels remain unadblocked

@blakeyrat said:

What have i said before to you about calling me a liar? I use tipjars for youtubers that i follow when said youtubers have them. I support youtubers that i follow on patreon when said youtubers have patreon. This is a thing that i do and this thing i do is truth.

so you can fucking shut up about that.

@blakeyrat said:

BUT THOSE DON'T EVEN HAPPE
    if they did happen i wouldn't have to ad block them. since they do happen I do.

@blakeyrat said:

Which doesn't even make sense, since there's NO WAY blocking ads can lead to changes in YouTube's behavior.
    The ad blocking doesn't change youtubes behavior, but reaching out to the content creators to inform them their monetization settings are causing users grief does, supporting them directly through tipjars and patreon so that they don't have to monetize their content does, contacting google about the over long ads.... well okay that one is a lost cause, but one does have to leave a paper trail.

You seem to be under the impression that i'm only doing the ad block. I'm not. I'm ad blocking the most annoying ads and letting acceptable ads show. and if enough people did that then the incentive would be to make the less annoying ads and the internet gets better, paying for the website subscription to remove ads, or supporting the content creators through patreon or their own tip jar helps because then they don't need to monetize as heavily. Reaching out to the creators of the annoying ads and those that host them to work out less annoying ways to get the advertizing done also helps.

and yes i do all of that.

if i was an asshole i'd block all ads and go "ads, what are they? lol!" but i don't. ads are an unfortunate reality of the internet, so i put up with the less annoying ones and apply pressure on the ad hosters and ad creators to reduce the use of or remove the annoying ones.

because that's the only way things even have a chance of getting better.

• @accalia said:

What have i said before to you about calling me a liar?

I dunno. Do it more often because it's awesome?

@accalia said:

I use tipjars for youtubers that i follow when said youtubers have them. I support youtubers that i follow on patreon when said youtubers have patreon. This is a thing that i do and this thing i do is truth.

When 99.9% of people who say they do a thing don't actually do a thing, nobody believes the people who say they do a thing and actually do the thing.

See: online tip jars, cyclists saying "I follow all the traffic laws!", people saying they have gluten allergies, etc.

@accalia said:

The ad blocking doesn't change youtubes behavior, but reaching out to the content creators to inform them their monetization settings are causing users grief does,

THE PART YOU DON'T GET IS THEY DON'T HAVE ANY SETTINGS.

YouTube is shitty-ass-dung-ass-shit-turd. They're also a monopoly, so until they are not there's no incentive for them to not be shitty-ass-dung-ass-shit-turd.

@accalia said:

if i was an asshole i'd block all ads and go "ads, what are they? lol!" but i don't.

No, you're worse. You do that but then you come here and write these long posts to try to justify your wrong bad behavior as some kind of noble holy quest to improve the world.

If you're gonna be a dick, just be a dick.

@accalia said:

because that's the only way things even have a chance of getting better.

Ok; but we're talking about YouTube where that strategy WILL NOT and CAN NOT work.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

I dunno. Do it more often because it's awesome?

no, i said to fucking stop it because it is rude, disrespectful, entirely uncalled for and entirely inappropriate.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Ok; but we're talking about YouTube where that strategy WILL NOT and CAN NOT work.

than what will work? I'm open to suggestions on what will work.

because i'm not putting up with the preroll ads that i do see when i routinely see long ones that i cannot skip after a reasonable period of time.

• Java Dev

@accalia said:

thirty minute, unskippable, ad

Strange, I don't think I've ever seen an add over 30 seconds that wasn't skippable after 15 seconds.

• FoxDev

@PleegWat said:

Strange, I don't think I've ever seen an add over 30 seconds that wasn't skippable after 15 seconds.

they are unskipable when played through the Chromecast and when using HTML5 video instead of Flash

Or am i a horrible monster for using HTML5 video over flash and using a chromecast instead of my own computer like a proper goddess fearing citizen?

• @accalia said:

no, i said to fucking stop it because it is rude, disrespectful, entirely uncalled for and entirely inappropriate.

OH NOES mod warningssssss.

Hey how do you feel about whoosh badges? Maybe ones that were issued unfairly. Let's talk about that.

@accalia said:

than what will work? I'm open to suggestions on what will work.

Found a video site to compete effectively with YouTube. It'll take a few million bucks.

@PleegWat said:

I don't think they exist, and if Accalia the person who is certainly not a liar at all saw one it was simply because YouTube is full of bugs and shows wrong shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

@accalia said:

they are unskipable when played through the Chromecast and when using HTML5 video instead of Flash

So don't use those shitty things if they're shitty and don't work.

ALSO finally we understand why Accalia the person who is not at all a liar has an experience vastly different than all other human beings on Earth: she's watching the videos on broken devices that are shitty and broken and instead of blaming the devices, she assumes all of US are stupid enough to be using shitty and broken devices too.

@accalia said:

Or am i a horrible monster for using HTML5 video over flash and using a chromecast instead of my own computer like a proper goddess fearing citizen?

YOU ARE GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY TO USE SHIT THAT YOU ADMIT DOESN'T WORK RIGHT!

"Blarp! I went way out of my way to use a video player that doesn't work when the default ones all do and now I'm complaining that it doesn't work this is because I am a smart person who is super-intelligent!"

Wait. Chromecast?

You PAID MONEY to Google for a device to play THEIR videos, and it disables the "Skip" button on ads? Jesus. They're more of a dick than you are. DO NO EVILZ GUYZZZ!

• Java Dev

I don't know about chromecast, but I'm pretty sure my home PC has been using html5 for a while already.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

OH NOES mod warningssssss.

why would i fucking bother?

we both know they'll get ignored because "it's just blakeyrat"

@blakeyrat said:

Hey how do you feel about whoosh badges? Maybe ones that were issued unfairly. Let's talk about that.
    Yes, lets talk about that. Let's talk about that instead of actually changing things so that we don't need to talk about it!

@blakeyrat said:

Found a video site to compete effectively with YouTube. It'll take a few million bucks.
    Great idea! let me know when you have some venture capital to start that project!

@blakeyrat said:

So don't use those shitty things if they're shitty and don't work.
    That's why i don't use flash. It's broken and terrible and evil and no.

HTML 5 works wonderfully. What doesn't work is Google's implementation of the player that doesn't allow the ads to be skipped.

@blakeyrat said:

Wait. Chromecast?
    yes chromecast.

also chromebook, and Nexus 6p, but they are not relevant to the discussion at hand.

@PleegWat said:

I don't know about chromecast, but I'm pretty sure my home PC has been using html5 for a while already.
    Have you confirmed that it's not using flash? I find that unless you actually disable the flash plugin entirely Youtube will go out of its way to use flash over HTML5

• @accalia said:

why would i fucking bother?

we both know they'll get ignored because "it's just blakeyrat"

Look, you're just not up on the Blakeyrat philosophy. Here's some pro-tips:

1. Everybody's a liar at all times

2. Blakeyrat only posts things that makes Blakeyrat laugh. If you're all like "oh don't call me a liar! Ooo! Ooo!" that's funny as shit, and you make it MORE likely that you will be called a liar in the future. Because everybody loves laffs.

@accalia said:

HTML 5 works wonderfully. What doesn't work is Google's implementation of the player that doesn't allow the ads to be skipped.

Like PleegWat, I think you're 100% wrong on this point. I'm pretty sure YouTube hasn't used Flash in any capacity in like a full year at this point, and the skip ads button works fine.

@accalia said:

yes chromecast.

also chromebook, and Nexus 6p, but they are not relevant to the discussion at hand.

I LOVE ME ALL THE GOOGLES!!! GIVE THE GOOGLES TO ME!!!!!

EDIT: You know what? Google's the one fucking you over on these ads. They're the ones running the YouTube monopoly, they're the ones preventing your Chromecast and Chromebook from skipping ads. Why the fuck are you punishing random video creators, WHILE GIVING GOOGLE MORE MONEY!?

Jesus, that's some ballsy hypocrisy right there.

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

Look, you're just not up on the Blakeyrat philosophy. Here's some pro-tips:

1. Everybody's a liar at all times

including Blakeyrat?

or did you leave off that subclause?

• @accalia said:

including Blakeyrat?

ESPECIALLY Blakeyrat.

• @blakeyrat said:

Wait. Chromecast?

You PAID MONEY to Google for a device to play THEIR videos

Holy shit, @accalia spent a whole $35 on a video broadcasting device so she can watch YouTube, Netflix, etc on a big screen TV !

She is as dumb as the other 17 millions people that bought it (including me)

• @TimeBandit said:

She is as dumb as the other 17 millions people that bought it (including me)

Yes.

• Liar 😜

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

I'm pretty sure YouTube hasn't used Flash in any capacity in like a full year at this point

Nope. HTML5 videos are broken in my browser due to licensing bollocks and it always falls back to Flash. Flash player is still there as a fallback. I'm not sure if it still defaults to Flash on any browser that can do HTML5 video properly though.

• No. I've never seen that before. It looks interesting though... I guess the USB cable is just for power? My TV's too old to have a USB port.

• /me sees a wire in that wireless adapter.

• FoxDev

@TimeBandit said:

I guess you bought this instead http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Wireless-Display-Adapter/productID.308216600

hmm... $60... not bad for a miracast device. that's on par with market rates for similar devices.

that's quite uncharacteristic for microsoft, i would have expected that to be at least $150, and have some proprietarty interface that means you really only get first class support with first party devices, and that third party devices are regularly detected and blocked with later update packages so as to force you to use the much much, much-much more expensive first party devices instead.

... or am i confusing Microsoft with Apple again.... It's so hard to keep those two separate these days.....

@blakeyrat said:

If you're going to be a dick, just say "I block ads because I'm a dick"

I block ads because I'm a dick.

@accalia said:

I find that unless you actually disable the flash plugin entirely Youtube will go out of its way to use flash over HTML5

I have Chrome set to block plugins unless I explictly right-click and enable them on the page. Youtube is definitely using HTML5 it even says when I right click. I don't have any adblocking on this machine and I've never seen a Youtube ad over like a minute which didn't have a skip button after a few seconds.

• Yes, for power.
    With the Chromecast you get an adapter for that case.
    But at $60, I guess the MS one doesn't come with it.

• @accalia said:

that's quite uncharacteristic for microsoft,

No it's not.

@accalia said:

i would have expected that to be at least $150, and have some proprietarty interface that means you really only get first class support with first party devices, and that third party devices are regularly detected and blocked with later update packages so as to force you to use the much much, much-much more expensive first party devices instead.

Do you have some kind of weird brain disease that causes you to read "Microsoft" as "Sony"?

• FoxDev

@blakeyrat said:

"Microsoft" as "Sony"?

Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Coach, Delta Airways.... is there any difference these days?

• @accalia said:

that's quite uncharacteristic for microsoft, i would have expected that to be at least $150, and have some proprietarty interface that means you really only get first class support with first party devices, and that third party devices are regularly detected and blocked with later update packages so as to force you to use the much much, much-much more expensive first party devices instead.

They can't do that in the mobile market since there is only about 5 or 6 Windows Phone users world-wide 😉

• @accalia said:

Sony

I always read that as "sorry" 😄

• FoxDev

@TimeBandit said:

@accalia said:
    Sony

I always read that as "sorry" 😄

i used to, then i realised that they're not.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

Bullshit. Tons of Youtube content creaters are making thousands per month before ad revenue. That more than makes up for the pittance they get off of ad revenue from their small audiences. One of the small time guys I follow has $7K/month in revenue. And every time he puts up a video for "rental", I pay for it because he creates great content and I like supporting him.

@TimeBandit said:

Holy shit, @accalia spent a whole $35 on a video broadcasting device so she can watch YouTube, Netflix, etc on a big screen TV !

An HDMI cable's a bit cheaper. I'm just sayin'. Also, my TV does Netflix directly. And I think it has a YouTube app, too.

• @FrostCat said:

An HDMI cable's a bit cheaper

A computer consume approximately between 80 and 250 watts.
    A Chromecast consume 2 watts, and only 1 while idle.

In the end, I'm not sure your HDMI cable is cheaper.

• FoxDev

@TimeBandit said:

A computer consume approximately between 80 and 250 watts.A Chromecast consume 2 watts, and only 1 while idle.

i can also cast to the chromecast from any computer in the house without having to fiddle with wires.