No StackOverflow for you! Or: How to get away with <del><del>murder</del><ins>cheating</ins> </del><ins>public masturbation </ins>!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@mott555 said:

No idea where that little problem came from.

Brain damage caused by work?

• Banned

@Rhywden said:

That works for simple problems. With the more complicated ones I'm usually more interested in the way to the solution.

You can make two sets of complicated problems just as well as two sets of simple problems.

@Rhywden said:

I mean, deriving the formula for the escape velocity can only be done in so many ways.

Then pair it with some other "hard" problem and make the students prepare for both.

@asdf said:

I always loved those exams. They actually test the skills the class is supposed to teach instead of your ability to memorize.

One of my professors told us a story from back when he was a student himself. He was taking an oral exam on some hard subject, and forgot some law. His professor asked him, "in which book would you look it up?", and he said the title he was learning from. He was handed the book, and he opened it on the right page right away. Instant 5.

@WernerCD said:

Because we all know how revered the Polish are for their genius qualities...

Are you saying that Poland can't into science?

• @Rhywden said:

But the questions were all variants of the homework we had to do over the course of the semester. Thus if you did your homework you had already quite a good idea of how to solve the problems.

I once saw a degenerate case of this. I was goofing off one evening instead of learning for that math test scheduled the next morning. A mail dinged: Our math teacher apologizing to send the exercise test so late :wtf: it's about ten hourse before the actual test. But somehow I do the exercises because I'm bored.

Next day the test is exactly like the exercise, just some numbers changed. We had those TI calculators that remember all your history. I was prepared unlike most other guys who hadn't seen the mail.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

You should've given her 50%, because she only violated half the rule.

In our local school district, it's official policy to give nothing lower than a 50% on any graded item. Including missed assignments. :wtf:

• Wow, that is even worse than a participation award. You have to at least show up for those.

• @boomzilla said:

Including missed assignments.

If only ours had coddled me like that, I would have graduated Suma from high school instead of with something like a 2.5 GPA!

• Banned

My favorite jokefact about US education is the SAT test scoring - on English part, you can just sleep through the whole test and write nothing at all, and still get 200 points.

• @Gaska said:

My favorite jokefactmyth about US education is the SAT test scoring - on English part, you can just sleep through the whole test and write nothing at all, and still get 200 points.

STFY

• Banned

I wanted to try out this SAT thing once. I googled and googled as much as I could about it so I could prepare for it. I clearly remember numerous sources (including some .gov website and several universities) that stated that SAT score is between 200 and 800.

• The SAT has nothing to do with US Education, except a large number of colleges use it for admissions testing. It's run by a private non-profit.

My particular college used the ACT instead of the SAT.

• Banned

@blakeyrat said:

The SAT has nothing to do with US Education, except a large number of colleges use it for admissions testing.

TIL US colleges aren't US education.

• @Gaska said:

Last year

Huh, TIL you're a kid.

@Rhywden said:

That was not all, however. They also decided to let some other student from the university write this exam and base the "perfect" score on his score.

Oh, they did that once too here, on the DB class if I remember correctly - except more sensibly, they scaled towards the maximum score anyone got on this test.

(It was me, by the way - but that was an open book exam, and I had like 300 pages of printouts, so I can't make it into much of an achievement).

@WernerCD said:

Because we all know how revered the Polish are for their genius qualities...

In cheating? Oh, definitely.

I didn't cheat in college since I kinda got by, but high school was a free for all. I was good at maths, my friend next to me not so much - and I think our patented method of a shared draft sheet (we were allowed a piece of paper to do our calculations on, and it was ridiculously easy to pass between each other, so I did his maths when I was done with mine) got him through the course at all.

• Banned

@Maciejasjmj said:

Huh, TIL you're a kid.

That's childphobic.

@Maciejasjmj said:

our patented method of a shared draft sheet (we were allowed a piece of paper to do our calculations on, and it was ridiculously easy to pass between each other, so I did his maths when I was done with mine)

Patented? Really? That's the oldest trick in the book, second only to looking at the work of guy next to you! I remember how I managed to get my test sheet (not a draft - actual test I was about to hand over) passed around half the classroom and get it back, without the teacher noticing.

Also, I've got several bottles of Finlandia by doing CS assignments for my classmates back in high school. As a side effect, I've mastered console window handling with WinAPI.

• FoxDev

@Gaska said:

As a side effect, I've mastered console window handling with WinAPI.

The Balmer Peak?

• Friends don't let friends drink and Win32.

• @Gaska said:

Patented? Really? That's the oldest trick in the book, second only to looking at the work of guy next to you!

Well shit, where are my royalties?

@Gaska said:

Also, I've got several bottles of Finlandia by doing CS assignments for my classmates back in high school. As a side effect, I've mastered console window handling with WinAPI.

I somehow managed to get really good with CUDA and parallel programming overall in college and ended up a mentor of the year or something. Not too fun stuff at times, but the two bottles of Seagram's Lime Gin were good.

@accalia said:

The Balmer Peak?

Tried that once. Doesn't quite work as expected.

//i have written the following code while drunk. it seems to work, but i hold no responsibility.
    //render next piece
    drawPieceSpecific(235-10-text_length(font, "NEXT")+2,50+text_height(font)+2,text_length(font, "NEXT")+5,150-50-text_height(font)-2,0,nextPiece,buffer);
    //render held piece
    if (heldPiece != BLOCK_TYPE_NONE)
    drawPieceSpecific(515+2,50+text_height(font)+2,text_length(font, "HOLD")+5,150-50-text_height(font)-2,0,heldPiece,buffer);

• @accalia said:

without that degree and without equivalent work experience it is rather hard to get past the guards of HR.

That's true.

I thought that they meant you'll perform better at your job.

For some degrees, you might actually perform worse, with the degree.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

@accalia said:
    without that degree and without equivalent work experience it is rather hard to get past the guards of HR.

That's true.

I thought that they meant you'll perform better at your job.

For some degrees, you might actually perform worse, with the degree.

well having the degree does demonstrate a willingness to hold yourself to a minimum standard of excellence imposed on you externally.

unless of course you are supposed to enjoy the date memorizing that's required to pass a history class?

• Banned

@Maciejasjmj said:

Well shit, where are my royalties?

I don't remember exactly, but I know it was a good party.

• @accalia said:

well having the degree does demonstrate a willingness to hold yourself to a minimum standard of excellence imposed on you externally.

Ok, so we have reliably poor performers.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

Ok, so we have reliably poor performers.

i did say minimum

and earlier i did say that it was mostly useful for getting through HR, no?

i'm not imagining that am i?

• Yeah, well, I'm a bit skeptical.

I see that we've outsourced training and skill-building jobs to "educators" and businesses still can't find the hires they want, so they keep upping the requirements. The skill gap increases the poverty gap.

You can't just get a job and work up to a skillset, and train under a mentor anymore.

IMO, the education system is a failure for certain skillsets, particularly STEM.

It's failed to standardize business requirements for skills.

Nursing, accounting, etc, all have better results at delivering base training needed to start a career.

And Management has the worst turn out. Delivering people that can barely eek out work, mostly from passive-aggressive threatening, from their subordinates.

Case in point:

I understand that there are certain rules that academia must use to judge competency, but if it is so diverse from the real world, it can't be expected to produce students that benefit the real world.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

Yeah, well, I'm a bit skeptical.

Those who can,
    DO,
    Those who can't,
    TEACH,
    Those who can't teach,
    TEACH GYM.

• The failure starts there.

Education degrees that teach required knowledge for positions of employment, should require 5 years minimum work experience in that area of expertise.

Teaching should be an alternative to continued employment, not an alternative to employment.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

Education degrees that teach required knowledge for positions of employment, should require 5 years minimum work experience in that area of expertise.

😆

good luck with that!

seriously. go! fix it! and more power to you, Don Quixote!

• What about drinking and WinSxS?

• I see windmills..... everywhere!

• @accalia said:

Don Quixote

grumble grumble belgium­ing windmills grumble grumble

Edit: Okay seriously what the fuck how did I get :hanzo:'d with this

• FoxDev

@rc4 said:

Edit: Okay seriously what the fuck how did I get :hanzo:'d with this

/shrug

@xaade posted at 2015-10-16T19:42:45.772Z according to the JSON while your post was at 2015-10-16T19:42:50.403Z.

• I think that requires the reverse of this:

Must have a minimum BAC of X before starting, where X tends toward infinity.

• Those 5 seconds were me staring at the screen in disbelief after Dicksores refreshed the topic.

• FoxDev

@rc4 said:

Those 5 seconds were me staring at the screen in disbelief after Dicksores refreshed the topic.

makes sense.

i checked the JSON because the first time i visited the posts were in reverse order and then i came back and they had flipped. i was hopiing the time stamps would be a lot closer than that.

• @accalia said:

>```text
    Those who can,
    DO,
    Those who can't,
    TEACH,
    Those who can't teach,
    TEACH GYMBECOME ADMINISTRATORS.

Yay discoformatting. Screw it; I don't care.

• Generally speaking, code inside of <pre> tags is not processed by the client.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Gaska said:

I remember how I managed to get my test sheet (not a draft - actual test I was about to hand over) passed around half the classroom and get it back, without the teacher noticing.

I once had a teacher who actually noticed that after a while. (I passed my test sheet around for others to copy.) He was very perplexed, and stood in front of me for about five minutes. His only comment (after staring at me): "The next time I come by, I want to see your test in front of you again!". He then went back to his desk and acted like nothing had happened.

Years later, I am still confused.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@asdf said:

He was very perplexed
    Maybe addled. I mean, he witnessed you (creepily) without your test, but failed to truly react.

Filed under: Angels to watch over me?

• The irony here? The original saying that joke comes from translates closer to, those who can no longer work, teach. IOW, have the elders - you know, the ones who lived to be 30 and didn't get eaten by a tiger or die of smallpox - teach what they learned in their long lives.

The fact that the joke still works even knowing that says something pretty fucked up about the current Indoctrination system.

• We had an essay-writing exam where we knew we'd be required to provide quotes from the source material, but we didn't know what the questions would he, so we had to pick out an excess of relevant quotes and memorize them just in case. Half way through, the teacher just walks out of the class, leaving us entirely unsupervised. I had left my study notes at the bottom of my stack of writing paper, and though I remembered the exact quote that I wanted to use, I wasn't sure I had the wording right so I just went ahead and transcribed it. The guy sitting across from me (the desks were arranged in a U) was like “wait, did you just...”, and I was all “who, me 😇?” and nothing happened.

A couple years before then, in shop class, the only test for the year consisted of a piss easy technical-drawing problem that i finished in like three minutes flat, then realized that my friend was sitting there with an empty sheet like he didn't even know where to start. So with the shop teacher still walking around the classroom I pull his sheet over to my desk, blast out a quick orthographic projection and give it back. Later, when we're telling our other friend about it like how terrified we were, we'd never done anything like that — at that point we were still coasting on a pretty intense adrenaline rush — Ms Walker, Texas Ranger (the computer science teacher/field hockey coach) pipes up behind us, she'd heard the whole thing. So we ended up getting a zero for that test (still passed the class though) and detention that I didn't even show up for, but apparently the teacher that was supposed to be supervising (coincidentally, the same one supervising the test we cheated on) didn't show up either.

• @cartman82 said:

First off, this is NOT a "pls do my homework" question. The kid did a lot of the work on his own, and asked about clarifications on specific issues.

Second, the professor seems to be a HUGE dick. Especially since the student picked SO instead of going to the prof for consultations.

No way. Perhaps you never studied, but the purpose of studying is to acquire skills and knowledge. If you want a piece of paper from an accredited institution that says you have those skills and knowledge, you must comply with the program. If the course was "SO - 101: asking dumb questions on stackoverflow", then the student should pass. Otherwise, the institute requires him/her to solve it independently. That way, the institute can assure that their students actually know how to program when they receive their CS diploma.

• Jesus Christ, where the hell did you study that asking people questions about why your code isn't working was forbidden? Nazi fucking Germany?

Well guess what, even accredited, professional programmers sometimes end up with problems in their code. And sometimes it's not something they can figure out all by themselves without a Google trip. I suppose they're not worthy of the title for you?

• BINNED

@Maciejasjmj said:

And sometimes it's not something they can figure out all by themselves without a Google trip

Or, they figure it out but it smells fishy. So, rather than write a potential :wtf:, they look up other solutions and discussions about it.

The ones that don't do that, well, we see their work often here...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

The best cheating story I know is from when I was teaching CS masters students about scientific computing. The first year we did this, there was one <Indian, though that really doesn't matter as there were many other good Indians that year who aced the class> character who wasn't very good at programming at all so got his own special assessment: he was told to do a quick literature survey (we gave him some links; he just had to read and summarise in a very shallow way) and to write some summary pseudocode about how a job queue might work (you know, what happens behind a command like qsub) before concluding with some ideas about how this might transfer to a distributed environment. We were (and are) a good school, with high entry standards, so this should have been within what he could knock out in a day or two.

With the literature survey he just copied whole paragraphs out of the papers. Including the paragraph indenting. No mention of where it came from at all. He also managed to not answer the trivial question we'd set too, since he quoted the wrong paragraphs.

The pseudocode was much worse. What he turned in was the worst C code implementation of a queue datastructure you've ever seen. He hadn't bothered to read up what we meant, despite this being covered in the course material and our giving of a direct link to the description.

Fortunately for my sanity, he didn't even bother with the third part so I didn't have to mark it. 😄

We outright failed him, no resits allowed, with a recommendation that he didn't ever work in computing anywhere in the world. We also tweaked the course prerequisites to include Java (so as to filter out more of the stupid) and recommended that the University do a double-check as to whether their validation of foreign feeder school marks was up to scratch, as a total ringer had slipped through.

tl;dr: incompetent cheat gets shown the door and told “don't let it hit your ass on the way out”.

• FoxDev

@ScholRLEA said:

Indoctrination

Indoctrination?

• Garbage Person

@Rhywden said:

MathOne guy left his cheat sheet inside the exam when he handed it in.

I'd been known to memorize a cheatsheet of formulas and such moments before the start of the exam, sit at the #1 seat (where the instructor starts handing out forms) and furiously regurgitate it onto the first page of the exam. Dick move, but kosher!

This guy apparently forgot a step.

• Garbage Person

I'm the same way.

In fact, on my own resume, I have a "Be the guy who puts his 2.6 GPA on there because, frankly, I had to WORK DAMNED HARD to get it that low" policy.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Maciejasjmj said:

Jesus Christ, where the hell did you study that asking people questions about why your code isn't working was forbidden? Nazi fucking Germany?

Yeah, well, maybe if the Nazis did more code reviews, Enigma would have been harder to crack and they wouldn't have lost the war!

Hmm... I really don't know what point I'm making. 🙋

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Well guess what, even accredited, professional programmers sometimes end up with problems in their code. And sometimes it's not something they can figure out all by themselves without a Google trip.

Google all the docs you want, but if your has NULL pointer exceptions and even with google's help you can't figure out why, I'd say you shouldn't pass.
    @Maciejasjmj said:
    Nazi fucking Germany?

Communist Poland?

• @Hanzo said:

Google all the docs you want, but if your has NULL pointer exceptions and even with google's help you can't figure out why, I'd say you shouldn't pass.

Really? Debugging null pointer exceptions can range anywhere from "oh, silly me, I forgot the constructor call" to "fucking Jesus Christ on a stick, I'm twenty classes deep and there's no fucking way this thing is null".

Sure, in this guy's case it was the first, but a) he's not a professional, and b) maybe he was having a dumb moment. Frankly, if I met a programmer who would rather trace an exception for hours alone than ask a colleague for another pair of eyes, then I probably wouldn't hire them.

@Hanzo said:

Communist Poland?

Liar. In communist Poland, there was no time for such trifles as being a college student - you ended the vocational school and it was off to the factory with you.

Filed under: I might be exaggerating

• @Hanzo said:

It seems you have a null pointer in this sentence as well.

@Maciejasjmj said:

Liar. In communist Poland, there was no time for such trifles as being a college student - you ended the vocational school and it was off to the factory with you.

So, that's where the factory pattern in OOP comes from!

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Well guess what, even accredited, professional programmers sometimes end up with problems in their code.

Totally agree. That's why code reviews on my teams are both ways.

@Lorne_Kates said:

Enigma would have been harder to crack and they wouldn't have lost the war!

Learn a little bit of history. It took the most brilliant minds to invent the computer to do it. And even then, they needed the Germans and Italians to be slopy on their procedures. There are Enigma messages that haven't been cracked yet as of today.

The Japanese on the other hand.