Satoru Iwata has died

• For the moment, Shigeru Miyamoto and Genyo Takeda are jointly in control of Nintendo.

Takeda being the person responsible for the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo's "let not use brand new parts in consoles" mantra.

...and does Miyamoto really need any sort of introduction?

• @powerlord said:

For the moment, Shigeru Miyamoto and Genyo Takeda are jointly in control of Nintendo.

I really hope they bring in some fresh blood. And hopefully someone who is:

1. Not Japanese
    2. Not nostalgic for old Nintendo games from the 80s

• And while we're at it, I want world peace.

• I know the non-Japanese one is impossible, but it's happened before.

From Ars' coverage:

Today the world lost a visionary leader, one who saw that games could be more than just mindless shooters built for teenage boys, and led the charge in bringing them to a far wider audience.

That's the most backwards and upside-down logic I've ever seen. Nintendo didn't "show that games could be more than just mindless shooters", it's more like, "Nintendo completely ignored every genre of console game invented after 1991." They never moved into making shooters in the first place, while all their competitors were leapfrogging ahead of them. (Ironically, despite gaining an early entry in the market with Goldeneye.) (And as Splatoon shows, there was nothing stopping them from making shooters with the Nintendo "cuteness", except an utter lack of innovation by everybody at the company.)

No wonder Nintendo and Apple do so well, they both have amazingly large reality distortion fields surrounding every journalist who writes about them.

• @blakeyrat said:

I know the non-Japanese one is impossible, but it's happened before.

I'm not sure we had world peace ever before. You sure your memory is working right?

• It's happened enough that the Wall Street Journal has this slideshow of all of them (five) they could find:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204002304576630464115732644

• Can we get a "woosh" flag over here?

• Today is the first time I heard about this guy. I guess there's the Nintendo bubble and everything else.

• @cartman82 said:

Today is the first time I heard about this guy. I guess there's the Nintendo bubble and everything else.

He was Nintendo's public face... so if you ignored everything Nintendo, then yes, you'd have no idea who he was.

• @powerlord said:

He was Nintendo's public face... so if you ignored everything Nintendo, then yes, you'd have no idea who he was.

Why is he so important then? If the head of Sony or EA died, no one would care.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Mostly because he directly addressed consumers. Any PR person who's featured heavily in adverts for a product dying gets a mention, the same way celebrities do.

• (Yamikuronue already answered part of this, so I'll address the other part)

@cartman82 said:

If the head of Sony or EA died, no one would care.

Are you so sure about that? I'm pretty sure people would care if Ken Kutaragi (the creator of the PlayStation brand) died and he doesn't even work for Sony any more.

(Trip Hawkins, on the other hand... people would probably toss into a fire themselves)

• I really hope Nintendo can take a better direction for the 21st century.

They have always strongly lived by the philosophy of building their own small world, separate from everything else (custom formats for everything). This was fine 20 years ago when people had maybe one or two computers in their house. But now they are everywhere (phones, TVs), interconnected, and they will only get more and more ubiquitous and connected in the future. If we don't want chaos, software interoperability is going to have to become an important issue soon.

Many people would consider the idea of Nintendo making games for other platforms a heresy, but I suspect the "vendor lock-in" philosophy of consoles simply can't last for long, and if you don't evolve, you die. They're already handling things like the eShop really poorly, and the 3DS and WiiU have been utter failures (at least by Nintendo standards).

And let's be honest, people only buy Nintendo consoles to be able to play Nintendo games anyway.

• @powerlord said:

Are you so sure about that? I'm pretty sure people would care if Ken Kutaragi (the creator of the PlayStation brand) died and he doesn't even work for Sony any more.

I have no idea who's that either.

I guess I'm not following gaming business as closely as you guys. I mostly just recognize the famous game designers.

• Gaben?

• I know you hate Nintendo as much as Git or Linux, but they have done many interesting things. They managed to sell videogames to people who had never touched one with things like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, which is what the article probably refers to. Heck, they managed to push the NES to unwilling retailers by bundling it with a R.O.B. and selling it as a brand new thing.

Plus they introduced many concepts before anyone else. Wireless controllers, motion controllers, touch screens. And most of their games are great.

• @anonymous234 said:

And let's be honest, people only buy Nintendo consoles to be able to play Nintendo games anyway.

The strong focus on first party1 titles wasn't always the case. That started with the last console released under Nintendo's previous CEO, the Nintendo 64.

It has also never been true for Nintendo's handheld systems, which draw a lot of third-party developers such as Level 5, CapCom, Spike Chunsoft, Square-Enix, Atlus, etc...

However... Takeda's involvement with newer consoles has been keeping them on older technology, hence my concerns over him being one of the people in charge of the company now. You could say he's one of the reasons third parties tend to eschew the WiiU and instead develop for the considerably more powerful PS4 and XBox One.

1First and second party titles that is. I say second party because Nintendo owned roughly 50% of Rare, Ltd. at one point in time.

• @anonymous234 said:

Only because Nintendo has been completely failing to get third-party developer support since the 90s. Utterly failing.

@cartman82 said:

If the head of Sony or EA died, no one would care.

Seriously?

You're delusional.

@anonymous234 said:

I know you hate Nintendo as much as Git or Linux, but they have done many interesting things.

I don't hate Nintendo, I love-hate Nintendo.

@anonymous234 said:

Heck, they managed to push the NES to unwilling retailers by bundling it with a R.O.B. and selling it as a brand new thing.

I didn't hate Nintendo back in the 80s.

@anonymous234 said:

Plus they introduced many concepts before anyone else.

Ok...

@anonymous234 said:

Wireless controllers,

Nope.

@anonymous234 said:

motion controllers,

Popularized, not introduced.

@anonymous234 said:

touch screens.

Not even.

@anonymous234 said:

And most of their games are great.

Right; but there's only 4 of them and once you've played one, you're set for the next 20 years.

(I also question how "great" they are. You never see an honest comparison of the newest cute Mario platformer with, say, Rayman Legends because Nintendo fans seem to never play games outside the Nintendo brand. I move that there are games just as "great" as Nintendo ones on all other platforms, Nintendo fans simply aren't aware of them. It's like asking fans of World of Warcraft about other MMOs. They don't know. They're the worst people to ask!)

@powerlord said:

However... Takeda's involvement with newer consoles has been keeping them on older technology, hence my concerns over him being one of the people in charge of the company now.

Older technology isn't the problem, nor really is innovation. The problem is they do this weird questionable experimental shit, like the Wii-U GamePad (admittedly innovative), and utterly ignore the basics, like tying game purchases to user accounts and not hardware.

The Wii-3 could have as much GPU power as 58 Xbones combined, and I still wouldn't buy one until/unless Nintendo gets their shit together and at least approaches the customer-friendliness of the Xbox 360 circa 2006.

Let's see, between Xbox Gold, PSN Plus and EA Access, in the last year or two we've seen a new trend of game companies offering older titles for a nominal monthly membership fee. When do you think Nintendo will catch up to this invention? 2020? 2025? Ever?

And that's the problem.

(Also the pig-headed-ness. Nintendo assures us the GamePad is "necessary" for the Wii-U, so you can't buy a Wii-U without it. Well, ok. MS made the same mistake with Kinect on the XBone. But guess what? MS reversed their decision when it became apparent it was a bad idea. Nintendo never will.)

• kills Dumbledore

@anonymous234 said:

Wireless controllers

Atari 2600

@anonymous234 said:

motion controllers

Sega, 1976 although Nintendo's power glove does seem to have been the first for a home console

@anonymous234 said:

touch screens

Vectrex touchscreen, 1984. This was also the first console with an analogue controller

Edit: :hanzo: by my insistence on sourcing things

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@powerlord said:

(Trip Hawkins, on the other hand... people would probably toss into a fire themselves)

Or, for a bit more clarity, if Bobby Kotick died, there'd be spontaneous parties.

• Only yes if the guy in the picture is not the person who said it.

• I updated the OP with an image that isn't a shit resolution screencap of a game's credits.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@FrostCat said:

if Bobby Kotick died, there'd be spontaneous parties

But that's enough about EA staff!