$40 for a career

• Pay $40 now (regular $500!!), start earning $77k/year immediately afterwards. Seriously? What a fucking scam.

• Six years ago, I was a product manager in a web develepment team at a funded startup.

Quality.

That said, this doesn't look too bad for me. It's a reasonable price for the course, and the site nowhere claims you'll instantly make $77k/year.

• ♿ (Parody)

FAQ:

##What is the full list of skills I will learn?

You’ll learn by building sites and apps using HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, Ruby on Rails, Git, databases, APIs, servers, HTTP, Bootstrap, Stripe, e-commerce, object-oriented programming, membership systems, user profiles, and messaging with email. Included with the course is an ebook detailing exactly where to find the best jobs and listing sites, how to connect with recruiters, writing stellar cover letters, an interview guide, and more. We’ll also show you where to go to continue learning specialized and advanced programming skills.

Eh...so it's a bunch of stuff that covers enough so that if you learn it you can be a code monkey somewhere. I could see this working.

The real caveat is here (which would be the same with trying to get this stuff in a standard 4 year college program):

##Can I really become job-ready in twelve weeks?

Yes, but not without determination and an eagerness to learn. Our course walks you through everything you need to know to become a job-ready web developer, but everyone comes in with different experience levels and learning aptitudes. How quickly you learn is ultimately up to you. When you sign up, you’ll also have the option to take the course at your own pace. It’s far more important that you learn the material deeply rather than rush through the content.

@blakeyrat said:

It's a reasonable price for the course, and the site nowhere claims you'll instantly make $77k/year.

Again, from the FAQ:

##How much does it cost?

The course is $499, a fraction of the cost of a college education. We believe anyone worldwide should have the opportunity to learn job skills. This course will pay for itself – according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics median pay for programmers was $93,350 per year in 2012, or $44.88 per hour. According to Payscale.com the average entry level Rails developer salary is $77,322 per year.

I didn't notice the $40 claim anywhere.

• The only thing that makes me suspicious is I don't see any sample videos.

EDIT: oh nevermind, there are previews on this page.

• Whoopsies, I actually found the page linked here: http://clientsfromhell.net/post/122080903270/deal-complete-web-developer-course-for-39-92

But either way, doing a job doesn't mean you can teach it.

• Nor does it mean you can't.

What do you have against this guy? Have you paid for the course and feel ripped-off?

• That's too much money, that fucking pedophile did it for free.

• Even if it does somehow manage to teach you to code properly (a miracle in itself in three months, hell, look how little a college degree even teaches you), it is still worthless because who is going to trust it? If someone put this on their resume I'd be wary of it...

• ♿ (Parody)

My quick skim of the site said that at the end you'd have some stuff for a portfolio. Hopefully you could pass fizzbuzz, too. But a lot of that depends on the individual.

• I had several teachers who were well qualified industry professionals who couldn't tell you wtf they did, let alone how to do it, when I was in college. Personally, I consider all "companies" like this to be scams, they prey on people who have no education by promising big future returns for very little up front. Absolutely nothing in life works that way with the possible exception of the lottery, which is essentially what this boils down to.

Most of the "graduates" here will be completely worthless, and the ones that aren't only receive a useless certificate of completion which won't help them get a job anywhere. The whole program serves no purpose other than to pad the proprietor's bank account.

• Wow. Did a 12-week online course kill your puppy?

• Hi, I'm Rob, the creator of Coder Manual. Thanks for taking a look at the course, and of course for posting it here. I wanted to chime in just to say that I really do believe in the curriculum - it is a proven path and our students get jobs.

Yes, 12 weeks seems fast, and many people react thinking that some of the current job perks of being a coder today are too good to be true (high entry level salaries, working from home, etc.) - but I assure you that it isn't easy. The course is very challenging and covers a massive amount of content because being a web developer today means juggling many different languages and tools, simultaneously. Also, 9-12 weeks is sort of the average web developer bootcamp length (just google 'web developer bootcamp' if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I was able to learn on my own but it was incredibly hard and I wanted to take my experiences and package them into a highly concentrated training program, so that it could be a bit easier for anyone else who is interested. That is what Coder Manual is and that is why thousands of students are taking this course and absolutely loving it.

If you don't believe me - feel free to sign up and I will give you 100% of your money back if you don't absolutely love the content. No questions asked. Additionally, you can email me at rob(at)codermanual(dot)com and I'll answer any questions you have and point you to our nearly 100% 5-star reviews from a course reviews website so that you can get others' opinions who have taken the course.

Thanks everyone, for your interest in Coder Manual and please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions at all. I'm here to help people become rock star coders and get jobs!

• ♿ (Parody)

@codermanual said:

Hi, I'm Rob, the creator of Coder Manual.

Welcome to the party! You're one of us now.

• Shit, now I'm going to have to read the link in the op before I can complain...

• ♿ (Parody)

@codermanual said:

I'm here to help people become rock star coders and get jobs!

I heard somewhere that @blakeyrat got canned.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@codermanual said:

Hi, I'm Rob, the creator of Coder Manua......don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions at all. I'm here to help people become rock star coders and get jobs!

You must be new here...

@swayde said:

Shit, now I'm going to have to read the link in the op before I can complain...

That's not the way we roll.

• @Polygeekery said:

That's not the way we roll.

Rest assured i'm going to complainBITCH when i get around to it...

@swayde said:

Rest assured i'm going to complainBITCH when i get around to it...

I expect no less.

• Yessssss

• I thought you were a rat, not a snake.

• :belt_onion:

@codermanual said:

I'm here to help people become rock star coders

I'm a fan already.

• No, he's a Linux distribution.

@darkmatter said:

I'm a fan already.

He is either brave enough to go in to the lion's den, or too stupid to realize that his life is in danger. Either way, I applaud the gusto and will be seeing where this goes.

• @codermanual said:

and many people react thinking that some of the current job perks of being a coder today are too good to be true (high entry level salaries, working from home, etc.)

We're all coders; we're perfectly aware we can work from home and earn a lot of money. No need to convince us.

@codermanual said:

Also, 9-12 weeks is sort of the average web developer bootcamp length

AFAIK, those generally require at least having a faint idea of what's going on. You can teach someone some new programming skills in 12 weeks, but I seriously doubt you can make a completely non-coding person into a battle-ready programmer in this amount of time.

Seriously. Your site claims:

Learn front-end and back-end coding with HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery,
    Ruby, Rails, HTTP, Git, Linux, Databases, API’s, SaaS, e-commerce and
    more.

That's 13 skills in 12 weeks. Leaving a week per one. Do you believe you can teach yourself Javascript in a week? HTML? Proper database and API design? You can maybe learn the syntax, yes. But that's not enough to make you into an employable programmer - you're more likely to be the next Paula Bean, or any other hero of our front-page stories.

Point is, your course might be the hottest thing ever, but all you can give people in this timespan and with this list of skills are the basics - syntax, rough examples, etc. That's not enough for a code monkey intern, let alone a properly salaried programmer.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@codermanual said:

If you don't believe me - feel free to sign up and I will give you 100% of your money back if you don't absolutely love the content.

The majority of the users on this site are already coders to varying degrees of efficiency and formal training - I'm not entirely convinced any of them would intersect with the set that is your target audience (which appears to be those with no knowledge/training to begin with)...

• Oh shut up you assholes.

The guy has a business he's running. If you don't like the product, don't buy it.

You don't have to come in here and piss all over it. Especially since neither you or aaaaaaaapis has actually gone through the course and so you have zero basis to bitch about it.

"Waaah! I spent a lot of time and money to get my job! Waaah! If you let in just anybody, coding will no longer be a high priesthood and I can't charge as much to clients! Waaah!"

Ugh. It makes me angry.

• ♿ (Parody)

Maybe we could send the link to the anti-fizzbuzz chick.

• @blakeyrat said:

You don't have to come in here and piss all over it.

That's what we do here, don't we?

@blakeyrat said:

"Waaah! I spent a lot of time and money to get my job! Waaah! If you let in just anybody, coding will no longer be a high priesthood and I can't charge as much to clients! Waaah!"

Look, if that guy has some magic wand that makes people into good coders in 12 weeks, letting you learn HTML in a week, Ruby/Rails in a week, good DB design in a week, etc. - fuck yeah, you go dude, I'll even fund his fucking Kickstarter.

But I doubt it. Then again, maybe that particular spammer that wrote me the other day did, in fact, figure out how to enlarge my penis by 10 centimeters in a week...

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Look, if that guy has some magic wand that makes people into good coders in 12 weeks, letting you learn HTML in a week, Ruby/Rails in a week, good DB design in a week, etc. - fuck yeah, you go dude, I'll even fund his fucking Kickstarter.

HOW DO YOU KNOW HE DOESN'T?

• Well, I guess I don't. By the way, I got an offer from a Nigerian prince to make $3 million pretty much for nothing, want me to forward it to you?

• Oh come on, this is not even close to the same thing and you fucking know it.

I'm all for being negative and complaining about shit, but you have to have a reason.

• Notification Spam Recipient

I've figured it out! @blakeyrat == @codermanual!

• If you don't see how "make a coding zero into an employable programmer in 12 weeks, including lessons on HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery, Ruby, Rails, HTTP, Git, Linux, Databases, API's, and some more" is a completely out-of-whack extraordinary claim... I don't know.

Hell, I haven't managed to learn Linux in like 6 years, and this guy will teach you all you need to know in a week on average. Maybe two.

• @codermanual Prepare to have the quality of your course suffer after you are infected by the @accalia tyops.

• FoxDev

JazzyJosh has summoned me and so i appera

• I wonder if by "rock star coders" he means the kind that don't believe you when you tell them they said something that it outright wrong and still don't believe you when you pull out documentation that disagrees with them.

...which happened between myself and another developer a few years ago over something in the HTML 4.01 specification.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

HOW DO YOU KNOW HE DOESN'T?

How do we know there aren't people who can fly by rapidly moving their arms up and down?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

You don't have to come in here and piss all over it.

I'll take "things an irony-challenged person might say, for $400, Alex"

• @blakeyrat said:

Have you paid for the course and feel ripped-off?

No, but I've worked with people who have "paid for the course".

• Why is he listing average salaries from the bureau of statistics instead of salaries from people who have actually taken his course?

What's the average time from "graduation" to employment?

What is the percentage of "alumni" who are actually working with things they were taught during the course?

What are his examination criteria? What is his pass-through rate?

I am sure it is a great education. Answers to these types of questions would make it greaterer.

• Oh, this is priceless.

@codermanual said:

Hi, I'm Rob

Hi, Rob

@codermanual said:

And I am an alcoholic cough the creator of Coder Manual

@codermanual said:

Thanks for ... posting it here.

Yeah, you don't really get the point of this forum. Well, I guess any publicity is good publicity.

@codermanual said:

it is a proven path and our students get jobs.

I'm sure they do. Have you read the articles on this site?

@codermanual said:

current job perks of being a coder today are too good to be true

Maybe if you have settled for a background in cashierering.

@codermanual said:

but I assure you that it isn't easy

You keep talking. You should have read the site. Instead, you keep talking. 🍿

@codermanual said:

developer today means juggling many different languages and tools, simultaneously

Well, besides the fact that most developers seem to have a hammer. Yeah, having a hammer and a screwdriver is difficult. I mean, which to use, which to use.

@codermanual said:

my experiences and package them into a highly concentrated training program

That's not how education works. You don't just take your experiences. You gleam from other people too. And you create what the industry needs.

What you have isn't training. It's advice.

@codermanual said:

thousands of students are taking this course and absolutely loving it

And the other thousands are waiting for a response on claiming your money back guarantee.

@codermanual said:

I'm here to help people become rock star coders

No, you're here to create entry level coders.

@codermanual said:

high entry level salaries

@codermanual said:

Thanks everyone

No thank you.
    But, also, you are welcome. Truly you are.

And I hope you get the jest here.

• No.

@blakeyrat is a professional devil's advocate.

• @aapis said:

Most of the "graduates" here will be completely worthless

Can't you say the same thing about college graduates? College does nothing to prepare you in this field if you don't have:

determination and an eagerness to learn

It's easy to coast through your classes and come out with the coding skills of a 12 year old AOL w4r3z pr0gr4mm3r.

• @xaade said:

No, but I've worked with people who have "paid for the course".

I don't believe you.

• Dude, how many books and materials make the same claim, and yet, of these many books, you will have a scholar with professional experience review the book, and point out that the coding samples don't even fucking compile. And yet, these many books, with all their failure, are sometimes course curriculum.

So, the bar is pretty low for people who claim to turn around a programmer of multiple languages in 12 weeks.

Don't play coy.

Yes, it may be that this guy has a silver bullet. I'm not ignorant of the 0 probability still equals possibility of statistics. And yes, I'm comparing what other people have done, with what I don't know about what he's done.

But the biggest indicator of probability here, is that he hasn't indicated any success, other than 1000s enjoyed it.

If a scientist walked into my AGW satire thread, and claimed they could make someone a climate scientist in 12 weeks, oh what kind of shit that person would get.

And that doesn't make it impossible either.

But I'd love to see you defend that.

• @xaade said:

And yet, you have a scholar with professional experience review the book, and point out that the coding samples don't even fucking compile.

When did that happen?

• fixed

• That's more due to the fact that it is hard to test for real skill.

See fizzbuzz.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said:

See fizzbuzz.

Here's how I would do it!

<redacted>