Tracking/Unread behaviour

• This isn't really a bug report, just something I need to say.

What happens currently:

Stumble across a longish thread I haven't seen before and click into it.
    Read the first few posts and decide I'd like to read the rest, but at a later time.
    Jump to the bottom using the green box and enable tracking.
    Click the :wtf: to get back to the homepage.
    Thread doesn't appear in Unread.
    Clicking back into the thread takes me to the last read post, the last post in the thread, which I "read" when enabling tracking.

What I'd expect to happen:

Stumble across a longish thread I haven't seen before and click into it.
    Read the first few posts and decide I'd like to read the rest, but at a later time.
    Enable tracking from the button which isn't at the bottom but somewhere useful.
    Click the :wtf: to get back to the homepage.
    Thread appears in unread with number of unread posts in a grey bubble.
    Clicking back into the thread takes me to the first unread post.

• FoxDev

…bookmark the post you got to?

• I could... but I've found bookmarks of little use since we got rid of ⭐ favourites:

• If I bookmark a post, this bookmarks the thread. I don't want to bookmark the thread.
    • I bookmarked a post in Funny Stuff earlier in the week and this made the Reply button stop working.
    • I don't go into my profile and look at my bookmarks routinely, just if I'm looking for something, so I'd end up forgetting about the thread.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Boner said:

If I bookmark a post, this bookmarks the thread. I don't want to bookmark the thread.

Not really - the thread just shows the "this thread has one or more posts which have been bookmarked" icon.

The problem you're describing is because you go to the bottom, so Discourse stops showing the posts in the middle as unread. That'll be AS_DESIGNED.

• FoxDev

@Boner said:

I don't go into my profile and look at my bookmarks routinely

I never do:

• @loopback0 said:

The problem you're describing is because you go to the bottom, so Discourse stops showing the posts in the middle as unread. That'll be AS_DESIGNED.

Yes.

@RaceProUK said:

I never do:

Never used that one, it does make sense. I never go into using bookmarks routinely because they were left in a mess after favourites were removed. Looks like I've been Doing It Wrong 😣

• ♿ (Parody)

If you look at the Keyboard Shortcuts menu, you'll see these at the lower right:

• I agree with @Boner here. There really ought to be a method for UI based users[1] to mark a topic as "Tracking" without going to the bottom of the topic.

Not really a bug though. More of a feature request.

[1] By this I mean users who don't use the keyboard for anything more than to create posts. Crazy talk, I know, but "Zey do exist!"

• Useful, but not on a touchscreen as far as I can see. Though even after using the shortcut I'd want to go and check it worked.

@abarker thank you, sir. Yes not a bug, just how I'm in the habit of using the site.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Boner said:

Useful, but not on a touchscreen as far as I can see

True. I didn't see that in the OP.

@abarker said:

I agree with @Boner here. There really ought to be a method for UI based users[1] to mark a topic as "Tracking" without going to the bottom of the topic.

Yes...it would make sense maybe to be in the expanded summary stuff.

• @boomzilla said:

That's a perfect idea!

• There's also a preference that is supposed to update a topic to "Tracked" if you read it long enough, but I don't think it works correctly all the time:

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

There's also a preference that is supposed to update a topic to "Tracked" if you read it long enough, but I don't think it works correctly all the time:

I don't think it does either.

@boomzilla said:

Proposed on meta.d.

• Perfect, thank you.