Tap and Hold Awareness Campaign

• Continuing the discussion from Middle click awareness campaign:@Daniel_Beardsmore said:

I can't be alone in feeling like I want a quid for every site where middle-click (open link in new tab) fails to work. I've been invited to check into a site to see how it can be improved, and the first thing I discovered was that image galleries have broken href properties on thumbnail image links. Middle-click and you're shown a tab containing a page titled "401" and a big rude 404 page. What you are supposed to do is left-click, so that JavaScript can open a whole new window with the right image address.

It just seems to be a lack of awareness, that just about everyone involved in Web design is stuck in the Dark Ages and has no idea about tabbed browsing or, likely, anything outside of Internet Explorer. Either that or everyone is deeply vindictive about middle mouse and I've not noticed yet...

Steps to Reproduce: In IE Mobile, tap and hold a link in a Discourse post, then tap Open in new tab.

Expected Results: The link opens in a new tab, and the old tab is unaffected.

Actual Results: A new tab opens, and both tabs navigate to the linked content.

Steps to Reproduce: In IE Mobile, tap and hold a link in a Discourse post, then tap elsewhere.

Expected Results: The context menu is cancelled, and the browser is unaffected.

Actual Results: The browser navigates to the linked content.

IE Metro is unaffected (finger tap and hold brings up App Bar; stylus tap and hold opens context menu which works fine). Not sure about Chrome for Android or Firefox for Android. Chrome Metro, Fennec, and Minimo don't appear to use touch or stylus events.

• What is your Discourse preference here:

• So, you're saying they'd prefer to code in the feature after breaking the default existing feature?

EDIT: added in the question mark.

• @xaade said:

So, you're saying they'd prefer to code in the feature after breaking the default existing feature.

Well, are you certain that duckhorse is the one that broke it? Or is it IE Mobile that broke the feature? I cannot repro the error on IE 11 (desktop), Chrome 42 (desktop), or whatever the latest version of chrome is on my phone.

Also, that preference has been there for almost a year now. It was one of the first they added at the request of WTDWTF. So I wouldn't say they coded in the preference "after" breaking anything, if it is indeed discourse that broke it.

• Tap+hold seems to work fine on FF for Android.

• It was turned off. It is now turned on.

• @abarker said:

Well, are you certain

No, that's why I asked.
    I just.... forgot the question mark.

• @xaade said:

So, you're saying they'd prefer to code in the feature after breaking the default existing feature?

Isn't that the basic design philosophy behind the entirety of Discourse? Scroll bars, searching, urls, etc.