Reasons why the Lift breakdowns

• I think this picture speaks for itself so here's a dc rant to non-empty this post:

My phone is set to always show sites in desktop mode. I couldn't set discourse to mobile view through the UI (actually, now that I know where to look, I see that I could have ). The reason I wanted to do that was because the category selector was offscreen. I forgot the URL parameter for mobile view, so I disco searched, the top result was the one I wanted (it's mobile_view=1). Then image upload didn't work in mobile, so I had to switch back to desktop. Of course, removing the parameter from the URL didn't change anything, I had to do it from the 🍔 (which thankfully works on mobile view (it sets the parameter explicitly equal to zero)). Because this post was empty, except for the title and category, the draft didn't save, so I had to come back, and started typing up this rant, set the category, then back to desktop mode to actual add the image.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Schindler's Lift?

• I know! It's great, isn't it?

Anyway, pendantry: Apparently Schindler have been making lifting equipment since the nineteenth century.

• @PJH said:

Schindler's Lift?

At first, I thought you got that just from the disturbed girl in a red dress...

...and then, oh yeah, the brand... derp.

• Does it also break down if you use the "Door Open" button to, you know, hold the door open?

Filed under: do people not know that button exists, still?

That's exactly what I was going to post.

Is it still a hanzo if it's 7 hours before hand?

@tarunik said:

Does it also break down if you use the "Door Open" button to, you know, hold the door open?

No, but people are idiots and don't press that.

• I've heard rumours that the 'close doors' button doesn't actually do anything, and is just there for impatient people—the lift doors will always close after the same amount of time whether you pushed the button or not. I've never actually bothered to time it though...

• FoxDev

@tar said:

I've heard rumours that the 'close doors' button doesn't actually do anything

in pretty much every elevator controll system these days yes, with one exception.

if you activate firefighters operation with that special key they work. There's also an excellent chance the building fire alarm will sound if you do that though as a lot of the modern control systems include it as a fire alarm trigger (just like those pull handle things)

• @accalia said:

if you activate firefighters operation with that special key they work. There's also an excellent chance the building fire alarm will sound if you do that though as a lot of the modern control systems include it as a fire alarm trigger (just like those pull handle things)

Yeah -- firefighter mode is something that you hope is never, ever needed because it means that part of your building is trying to turn into a Towering Inferno.

Speaking of elevators...I once stepped into an elevator at the university dorms (along with my parents, as this was at move-in time IIRC), and was greeted by the "Your car's warranty is about to expire..." spiel coming from the elevator phone! Turns out, the elevator phones in that building were callable from the outside (not all are), and the car-extended-warranty-pushmen had their autodialers set to "DIAL ALL ZE THINGS"...which earned them a nice slap from the FTC.

@accalia said:

in pretty much every elevator controll system these days yes

That's crap. You need to hold it until the door closes. Most people just press it, so it doesn't do anything.

• From my experience, it's wired-up about 50% of the time or so. If one elevator in a building has a wired-up "door close", all the others will too.

• @loopback0 said:

That's crap. You need to hold it until the door closes. Most people just press it, so it doesn't do anything.

A-ha. Will try it on the elevators at work...

• @blakeyrat said:

From my experience, it's wired-up about 50% of the time or so. If one elevator in a building has a wired-up "door close", all the others will too.

Well, set to be not ignored in normal operation ;) but yes -- that'd likely be a global setting on the elevator controller. The button has to be physically wired, though, because of firefighters' operation.

• That's my experience, the open door button always works as long as you hold it, but the close door button doesn't do a thing.

@loopback0 said:

Most people just press it, so it doesn't do anything.

If it is in the process of closing and you press it, the door should open again. Of course if it was already open, the button still did something, it made sure the door was open for as long as the press occurred.

I can't speak for Euro-logic though.

@xaade said:

@loopback0 said:
    Most people just press it, so it doesn't do anything.

If it is in the process of closing and you press it, the door should open again. Of course if it was already open, the button still did something, it made sure the door was open for as long as the press occurred.

I was talking about the close button. :facepalm:

• That's even less observable.

How long do you hold the close button?

Until it automatically would have closed?

@xaade said:

How long do you hold the close button?

Until it closes, obviously.

@xaade said:

Until it automatically would have closed?

The whole point is to make it close sooner. Some lifts wait longer than they really need to before closing the doors.

• I'll be sure to time it next time.

@loopback0 said:

Until it closes, obviously.

Until it starts closing or until it finishes closing? Protip: the door speed is the same in the two cases.

@dkf said:

Protip: the door speed is the same in the two cases.

Yes. That's a) why I didn't specify which and b) why I emphasised the word I did.

@loopback0 said:

The whole point is to make it close sooner.

• 🚽 Regular

@xaade said:

I can't speak for Euro-logic though.

I can. It's the same thing in my experience.

As for the close button, the door in my building closes right after I press it. I don't need to hold the button, in fact I release it quicker than the door can react, but it does close sooner than if I don't press the button.

• @Zecc said:

As for the close button, the door in my building closes right after I press it

That's what I would expect to happen.

• @tar said:

I've heard rumours that the 'close doors' button doesn't actually do anything, and is just there for impatient people—the lift doors will always close after the same amount of time whether you pushed the button or not.

It varies. In my apartment building, the close door buttons actually do the job.