Oh, I couldn't build it, so I checked it in.

• Seriously?

One of our 'Super Senior Staff Engineers' recently checked in the changes to a hardware interface library. He wrote the software layer that talks to the hardware across USB, and allows other applications to interface with it.

Except, after his check in, all the build servers started failing and none of us could run it at our desks or on the systems due to his component failing to build.

The project leads spoke to him, he assured us that it works fine, and that the server just needed to be refreshed manually as it obviously wasn't building things properly.

Today I got fed up and started digging into it. Found several .cpp files that had no #includes in them (not even for their own headers!), so they obviously were failing as they didn't have any clue as to what these classes, structures, and enums were. Also discovered that he neglected to add include paths for the new libraries he included as well.

His excuse? "Well, no one ever gave me a VS 2010 license, so I couldn't build it"

How is this even a valid excuse in anyone but an intern's mind?! If you don't have a VS 2010 license, freaking request one. Even so, you have a 2008 license, and it doesn't build there either!

Wish I could say this was a first, but it happens every time he checks in. It's pissing me off. I have more important things to do than run around fixing problems just so I can fix the problems I'm supposed to be working on!

I mean, never mind that all of this was supposed to be done back in May.

Cripes. I need a freaking beer.

• By "Super Senior Engineer" you mean "boss's nephew" right?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Go for a double shot of bourbon, then chase it with a beer. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• No VS, but VCS rights? That's not a recipe for disaster.

• @nullptr said:

Wish I could say this was a first, but it happens every time he checks in. It's pissing me off. I have more important things to do than run around fixing problems just so I can fix the problems I'm supposed to be working on!

Don't fix the problems; fix the source of the problems. With extreme prejudice.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Don't fix the problems; fix the source of the problems. With extreme prejudice.

I'm printing this out and posting it at my desk.

• FoxDev

srsly?

• @hungrier said:

By "Super Senior Engineer" you mean "boss's nephew" right?

Nope, but he's been with the company since forever, so...

I mean, the guy is really smart, but he's absolutely not detail oriented and never, ever, is his stuff at fault for anything. Ever.

@Intercourse said:
    Go for a double shot of bourbon, then chase it with a beer. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

I like the cut of your jib.

@chubertdev said:
    No VS, but VCS rights? That's not a recipe for disaster

Oh, he's got VS, just not 2010 apparently. Although that raises the question as to where the SLN for 2010 came from...

• No, it bloody well does NOT "beg the question". Cripes.

• Changed it. Better?

• Bet you he has VS and just setup global VS i includes instead of project.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

My latest story is tamer, but along the same lines:

Me: implementing hallway monitor of unit tests Why is the test runner on Platform X dying? Oh. Looks like they committed breaking changes to demo without telling me.
    Dev team: Oh yeah, we did.
    Me: Fixing broken paths caused by moving files Hey, you're doing blah blah blah now, how do you want the runner to work?
    An hour of circular discussion passes
    Dev team: Okay, so let's do that.
    Me: Great! Does my half of the changes My half's ready and committed and I'm going home.
    Dev team: Cool, we'll get our half in on Monday.
    Monday
    Me:... why is this erroring in demo? checks logs Huh. I guess they committed all of our changes to demo. And it's still broken. Their half doesn't work like I thought we agreed it would. Did they actually verify the fix?
    Dev 1: The intern did the fix.
    Intern: The team lead told me to fix it this way.
    Team lead: The intern has no idea what he's talking about.
    Me: Whatever. Do you want solution A or solution B?
    An hour of roundabout conversation passes
    Team lead: A.
    Me: Great, I'll get that in.
    Tuesday
    Dev 1: Why am I seeing failures on the monitor?
    Me: Because tests are failing in demo.
    Dev 1: They all pass on my machine.... To her credit, she followed that with I'll see what's changed and get back to you.
    Me: Great!
    Dev 1: Turns out when Dev 2 said he removed bad tests, he didn't.
    Wednesday
    Dev 1: I got Dev 2 to remove almost all the failing tests. We're at 90% pass now.
    Me: Yay!

TLDR: Nobody runs unit tests until there's a montior in the hallway blinking red at them.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Yamikuronue said:

Dev 1: Turns out when Dev 2 said he removed bad tests, he didn't.

I note he didn't say he FIXED what was wrong, he just removed the tests that didn't work. If only that actually fixed the problem!

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

The problem was that they were requesting production resources, which were 404'ing on the demo box. Dev 1 saw that, promptly declared the whole test stupid, and told me she was going to "remind" Dev 2 why we don't do that in unit tests. So probably the test should have been removed :)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Yes, well, that's information I didn't have. :P