Discocron

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Continuing the discussion from Discorounding:

@delfinom said:

Did discourse implement it's own cron job system or something because Linux cron was inferior to Web 3.0 Ajaxified HTML 5?

• FoxDev

wait... that project SURVIVED

height="226">

• I have to say I have been known to implement a cron system in PHP where truly shitty hosts don't give users access to cPanel or anything where they can configure cron jobs themselves.

@Arantor said:

shitty hosts don't give users access to cPanel or anything where they can configure cron jobs themselves

shell_exec('(crontab -l ; echo "0 * * * * wget -O - -q http://www.example.com/cron.php") | crontab -');

• That is a horrible idea.

Thanks.

• @PJH said:

shell_exec('(crontab -l ; echo "0 * * * * wget -O - -q http://www.example.com/cron.php") | crontab -');

The same hosts are also smart enough to disable shell_exec. And bare exec.

You think I hadn't already thought of that? 😛

• @delfinom said:

https://www.setcronjob.com/

I try to avoid requiring users to do third party stuff when it should, wherever possible, work 'out of the box'.

• Hey, at least it isn't one of those "triggered by page-load" systems.

also 10-post bump @chubertdev

• Sweet! 😀

• :belt_onion:

@riking said:

Hey, at least it isn't one of those "triggered by page-load" systems.

I actually just implemented one of those as a really terrible hack because... well, because the entire thing is a quick & terrible hack. It's hacks all the way down. Which is what happens when what was supposed to be a "throw it together in 15 minutes" webpage with a simple comment box turns into a goddamn full-fledged project maintenance and planning application.

• @darkmatter said:

Which is what happens when what was supposed to be a "throw it together in 15 minutes" webpage with a simple comment box turns into a goddamn full-fledged project maintenance and planning application.

Sounds like PHP, the Personal HomePage application.

• :belt_onion:

@riking said:

Sounds like PHP

yep.

And this one was grand too...

just copy the page we already have and make a couple of minor edits to change the labels for them on a system that consisted of about 7 plain text inputs and 3 dropdown selections
    Cue 4 or 5 revisions to what they actually want, only coming after I complete each change they ask for, and now I'm something like 5 hours into a 5 minute task.

Back to your "triggered by page-load" system though! Among that list of changes and reversions and re-changes, one of the latest updates was that they wanted to tack on to each group a 1 year calendar entry system, BY DAY (yes, 364 fucking input boxes) that auto-shifts the 1 year window each week. They snuck this in by first asking for 3 weeks, which I wired in without a problem with the aforementioned quick hack method. Then they decided it needed to be more, and to my boss's credit, he was going to say no, but I figured since I'd already done 3 weeks in a fashion that allowed me to interchange 3 with 10 with 52 or whatever number they might want, what's the difference between 3 weeks auto-shifting and 52 weeks auto-shifting other than the WTFiness. The best of the WTF is that the entire calendar dataset is all stored into the same original field in the same single table (because this was supposed to be simple and not involve things like schema changes) on which I had to re-purpose a field that used to be a single plain text input of like VARCHAR(50) but is now a VARCHAR(MAX) holding a PHP serialized array.

So about that "auto-shifting"... when the data is displayed on the webpage (or exported to excel from the site - gotta have the excel export, mandatory!), it runs a check on the min date listed on the array, and if it isn't the beginning of the current week, it shifts off the first 7 records and tacks on 7 more to the end. Rinse and repeat until the min date record on the array matches. That way if someone goes on vacation and no one triggers the auto-shifter for 3 weeks or something, it will still shift all 3 weeks off the next time someone looks.

And the worst part is, that hack is such a big hit with management that they want me to add it on to their original webpage now (because they expect it'll only take me an hour or two since that's how long it took me to hack that together the first time, and there's no way I'd be given the amount of time to do it right now that they've seen it can be done quicker instead) :trollface:

Also note that my time has to be logged towards projects given to me, and this project technically doesn't even exist. It's a favor for the big boss, for which a project is supposed to magically appear later to cover whatever hours I use, which is supposed to be a really really small number for this. Like, less than 1 day (8 hours). Or else I'm stuck doing it on my own time at home (I am not paid hourly).

I'm starting to think that when I make crap on the backend, I should make it crappy in function too, so I don't get asked to replicate it!

• ♿ (Parody)

@darkmatter said:

Also note that my time has to be logged towards projects given to me, and this project technically doesn't even exist. It's a favor for the big boss, for which a project is supposed to magically appear later to cover whatever hours I use, which is supposed to be a really really small number for this. Like, less than 1 day (8 hours). Or else I'm stuck doing it on my own time at home (I am not paid hourly).

Yikes. We have a "suspense" number to charge against when you're waiting on stuff to be set up. Gets a lot of attention, usually, and you're required to state WTF you're doing and who told you to do it.

We just create (departmental) internal tickets to cover such stuff. Like the POODLE stuff I got landed with (and subsequent knock-on stuff like ShellShock and updating/deprecating various bits of software our firmware uses.)

Ok - and I have these two tickets:

• BINNED

No "Overhead" category? I think used up my budget for that around April. It's my dumping ground for tasks passed on by management without a specific project or umbrella.

Well if I'm not in meetings or filling out timesheets, most of my stuff is attributable to a ticket, or if it isn't I simply create a (internal) ticket. Which generally results in 10 more minutes of admin since JIRA's so slow at doing that sort of thing.

• BINNED

timesheets are linked to projects ... that range from actual honest projects (dev a new feature in app x, customer y asked/pays for feature z to be activated) to general umbrella's like 'Service Desk' (ranging from 1st to 3th line + 24/7), 'Data Management' (e. g. somebody has to do some typing today) and 'overhead'.
    Since project management tasks are part of the project itself one is supposed to calc the timesheet fiddling and slumping around in the project settings in under your project registration.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

We have an "Administrative -- General" that people have been using as a catch-all, but the accountants are mad at us, so we have to use it less or we'll exceed our "non-capitalizable expenses" budget.

• ♿ (Parody)

We have to put in detailed notes for pretty much any charges that don't go towards contracts with paying customers.