Discourse and our reaction to it

• @too_many_userna said:

Correct solution: allow the user to choose

Bug: Cannot "like" this post +Inf times.

• @codinghorror said:

The problem I have with pagination is that it's a barrier to reading, and reading is fundamental.

I'm seriously curious - what do you mean by that?

I'm assuming it is coming from some sort of hypothesis that changing pages destroys reading, but have there been any kind of studies done that show this, as opposed to perhaps the hypothesis that the human brain may actually process information better in pages? After all, we use paragraphs, because if we didn't then reading would be almost impossible.

Also, isn't this a forum, where discussion is fundamental?

• @codinghorror said:

If you want a "move to arbitrary post number" keyboard shortcut

That's only good if I know the post number. Incidentally, it's displayed in Invision Powerboard, which hydrogenaudio uses.

• @codinghorror said:

The problem I have with pagination is that it's a barrier to reading

Why the FUCK do you keep repeating this? People have been reading books with pages for 2000 years. Books with pages replaced scrolls because they were easier to use. Infinite scrolling is returning to 3000 year-old technology that was discarded 2000 years ago because pagination was superior.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Why the FUCK do you keep repeating this?

Maybe same reason we keep repeating endless scrolling is bad/evil/killed my mother/etc.

• Banned

And all computer desktops should look like real world desktops because.. real world?

http://what.thedailywtf.com/t/frist-and-welcome/238/150

As @mikeTheLiar said, "look at this monstrosity". Hey, it looks like a real physical desktop, just like the one we have in front of us. That's good.. right?

Books are printed on pages because that's amenable to the mechanical processes of creating atoms with words on them.

The point is to create something better in the world of bits than we have in the world of atoms.

Do you enjoy reading heavily paginated articles on the web? Because all I read about web article pagination is mostly complaints:

Pagination is one of the worst design and usability sins on the Web, the kind of obvious no-no that should have gone out with blinky text, dancing cat animations, and autoplaying music. It shows constant, quiet contempt for people who should be any news site’s highest priority—folks who want to read articles all the way to the end.

Pagination persists because splitting a single-page article into two pages can, in theory, yield twice as many opportunities to display ads—though in practice it doesn’t because lots of readers never bother to click past the first page. The practice has become so ubiquitous that it’s numbed many publications and readers into thinking that multipage design is how the Web has always been, and how it should be.

People barely scroll, so you think that forcing them to find and click a tiny "next page" button is the right solution to get more people to actually listen to the whole conversation? How is adding more arbitrary barriers to reading a good idea?

Or should conversations just be all talking and no listening? Does that make sense?

Ars Technica posted an article about gun control with this sentence in it:

If you have read this far, please mention Bananas in your comment below. We're pretty sure 90% of the respondants to this story won't even read it first.

Guess how many commenters included the word bananas in their comment? Guess which comment was the first to include the word?

Reading conversations should be easy, as easy as possible, just scroll to the bottom and we'll load more. Like Jay Leno and Doritos: eat all you want, we'll make more.

The design guideline is this: remove barriers from things you want people to do. We want people to read and listen as much as possible before talking. Therefore, we remove the next page button as it is a barrier to reading.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@sam said:

Pages are arbitrary, why does everything need to be split into 50 item chunks, why not 25 or 102?

Okay, serious question time. Are you just here to troll users? Or are you intentionally being an arrogant, unhelpful, insulting asshole?
    Because look, I love this forum. It's literally my most visited site. I've put thousands of posts-- hundreds of thousands of words into it. I enjoy the company of each and every one of the users here, even the ones I disagree with. I've learned a lot by reading these forums. I've had a lot of laughs. I've made people laugh. It isn't just "another site on the Internet". My contributions are not trivial. My presence is not trivial. My user experience here is not trivial.
    And I can name at least twenty others off the top of my head who are the same. And all the others I can't name, they are the same, too.

So you have come into OUR place. Our bar, our club, our hangout, whatever you want to equate it to. Every one of your posts has basically been telling us, the people who use the forum, "I know better than you, so shut up and take it". We raise our concerns-- legitimate, quantifiable concerns-- and you just dismiss them, and you dismiss us.

Each of your messages is rude, and arrogant, and quite frankly, it's fucking disrespectful.

So again, tell me-- are you just trolling? Because if so, fine. Trolling is part of the forum. But I'd like to know, so I can ignore you. We're trying to have a grown up conversation about a spot on the Internet that's actually quite important to us. This isn't the time and place for trolling.

And if you truly are somehow someone related to the development of Discourse-- then shame on you. Seriously. This is how you treat your users? Getting tdwtf to use Discourse SHOULD be a huge fucking win for you. Getting it accepted by the userbase is literally the only way that will happen. And right now you could snap your fingers right now and magically fix every bug and UX concern we have-- and the only impression we'll have is that Discourse is run by a bunch of arrogant sociopaths who have no respect for their users.

Again, it's fucking disrespectful and you should be ashamed that this is the public face your putting on your product. It is NOT how you treat your users. And I don't care what relationship you think users and developers have-- there is no situation where it is proper behavior. I would not accept rude, dismissive and disrespectful behavior from a co-worker. I would not keep an employee who was like that. I would not work for an employer who treated me like that. I would not buy from a vendor who did customer service like that. I would fire a customer who treated me or my staff like that.

So cards on the table. Take our feedback. If you can implement it, do it. If you can't, explain why you can't. Do not dismiss it. Be prepared that if we, the users, find your product unacceptable, we will not use it-- even if it leaves beta. It's called community death.

And if, for some reason, despite the way you talk, you aren't associated with Discourse development-- then hey, Discourse people-- tell this guy to shut the fuck up. He's giving you a bad name, and severely damaging your ability to get the product accepted by the main stakeholders.

• @Lorne_Kates said:

Okay, serious question time. Are you just here to troll users? Or are you intentionally being an arrogant, unhelpful, insulting asshole?

You are, though. You're being very dramatic.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dhromed said:

You are, though.

Except for "unhelpful". I've filed bugs. I've pointed out actual UX reasons why this isn't working, and how to fix it. I've tried being nice and helpful, and gotten insulted back in return. I don't like that.

• Yeah, but if you're looking at a thread that long, who's going to read all those posts anyway? Paging and infini-scroll won't affect that.

• @codinghorror said:

The design guideline is this: remove barriers from things you want people to do. We want people to read and listen as much as possible before talking. Therefore, we remove the next page button as it is a barrier to reading.

Ok - at least now I understand the design philosophy at which you're aiming. In all honesty though I think it fundamentally doesn't work for places like TDWTF. Or places like textbooks where you want position identifiers to go find reference information - anything which needs interaction.

Note in my earlier post where I said that infinite scrolling kind of makes sense for read only information - and you specifically mentioned Slate and Ars Technica: new sites - traditionally read-only media.

At TDWTF forums, we aren't here to listen as much as possible before talking - we are here to poke fun, reply to things that piqued our interest or curiosity, in a very nonlinear manner, and as fast as possible - things for which "infinite scroll" is not well-suited, because infinite scroll is extremely linear.

• Banned

@Lorne_Kates said:

So you have come into OUR place. Our bar, our club, our hangout, whatever you want to equate it to. Every one of your posts has basically been telling us, the people who use the forum, "I know better than you, so shut up and take it". We raise our concerns-- legitimate, quantifiable concerns-- and you just dismiss them, and you dismiss us.

I'm sorry if you feel we are dismissing concerns. We're watching closely, which is why we are here.

We've fixed several problems already based on feedback here:

• XSS exploit on quote expand (thank you for this)
    • bars between posts too dim (our bug, not a color choice issue)
    • home key not working to move to top

And most of my posts are of the "here are ways to do what you want to do" variety. Feel free to browse my post history, which dare I say is quite easy in Discourse, and that's a great thing, since it's the #1 way to understand the tenor and tone of a participant in a discussion.

I think some other changes are perfectly reasonable, as @sam proposed:

• keyboard shortcut to navigate to arbitrary post number
    • filter down a topic to just my bookmarks and likes

As to philosophical "we wanted a truck and you are giving us a car" concerns, those I can't resolve, just explain the rationale for. If you disagree with that rationale, that's fine, it's like two different religions that have to coexist somehow.

Any big community changes are hard and take time. But we're here and we're listening.

• I think the problem there is lazy ADHD users losing interest partway through an article. That's partially a content problem and partially an audience problem, and has absolutely nothing to do with pagination versus infinite scrolling.

I almost never notice I'm changing pages on an article or forum. I also never consciously press the "turn page" buttons on my Kindle, or even consciously realize I'm flipping pages on a real book. Because if I'm engrossed in the content, the presentation takes a back seat. Same here, if I'm actively reading a thread and it has me interested or entertained, do I notice infinite scrolling? Absolutely not.

And there are definitely threads/topics here on the new TDWTF where I read a few posts and give up, because I don't get it, it isn't interesting, and isn't entertaining. Example, the thing about making an umlauted 'a' or whatever. Neither infinite scrolling nor pagination would have kept me there.

I personally don't have a huge problem with infinite scrolling. I prefer pagination just because it's the norm, but truth be told I'll get used to it. Mostly I'm amused that you think pagination is such an evil thing. I just don't see it. The whole argument seems like a non-sequitur to me.

I do miss the ability to middle-click on "reply" buttons and get a queue of tabs with quoting ready without losing my place in the thread if I haven't read it all yet.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Futhermore: I will instantly any ignore any argument that depends on the behavior of "users". I'm not even going to argue sample size, or poisoned data, or fault studies. I'm going to point out the plain and simple fact that THIS forum for THIS community is not made up up fucking users.

I will now repeat that: THIS forum for THIS community is not made up of fucking users.

One more time, because this is an extremely important point: THIS forum for THIS community is not made up of fucking users.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there is a time and a place for an infinitely scrolling comment section. Like, perhaps, a comment section, where everyone is lolling over the latest Grumpy Cat video and is too busy throwing in their lols to bother reading everyone else's lol. Sure, who cares about pages then? There's no conversation happening. The Grumpy Cat fans have their Grumpy Cat. Sure, those users might not notice or care what UX shit you put in front of them, as long as they have their Grumpy Cat and lols.

But, in danger of repeating myself, THIS forum for THIS community is not made up of fucking users.

We have conversations. Long ones that require reading in small, consistent chunks for easy navigation. One might say by pagination.

And we've told you that. Over and over and fucking over again.

You might say that only a small percentage of people like paged forums. That might even be true if you take your stats from the entire Internet community of all skill levels and all walks of life. But that minority you don't care about? THAT IS US. That is all us. This community is made up of technical developers who have a preferred UX method. Here the majority reads forums, can figure things out without it looking like a phone, and was getting along just fine.

THIS forum for THIS community does not need or want infinite scrolling, and NO amount of arguments-- ranging from asspulls to the most scientific study in the universe-- will ever change that fact. Realize that, realize that one little fact-- that THIS forum for THIS community-- is different. Recognize the needs and wants of your stakeholders, and things go so SO much smoother.

• @codinghorror said:

People barely scroll
    [slate histogram]

Why are you quoting an irrelevant article? It's about scrolling long articles. Not a word about paging. Clearly Schwarz's data tells us that long scrolls are bad. Whoa.

As far as I can intepret that graph, endless scrolling removes a "barrier" that many people don't reach in the first place. Second, "Chartbeat’s data shows that most readers scroll to about the 50 percent mark, or the 1,000th pixel, in Slate stories. That’s not very far at all." because maybe Slate articles are not very interesting!

So I think that histogram is going to stay exactly the same with or without pages, BUT that experiment still needs to be done.

Maybe endless scrolls are now shown to be objectively bad?

Ok, not really. NewScientist sometimes pulls this shit where it spreads a long article over two pages. Just two. And the second page is about the last 10% of the article. Fortunately there's a "Read full article" link, which I click, because when I'm interested, scrolling a long article isn't that bad. But paging can help breaking a really long text into manageable, bookmarkable chunks.

The pages can be really big, like 200 posts on a page. That's okay, I think. Depends on content.

• Banned

@abarker said:

if you're looking at a thread that long, who's going to read all those posts anyway?

This is why "summarize this topic" automatically appears at the top of all long topics. It gives you the TL;DR version of the topic.

Because you're right, if 50 people are posting constantly, they easily generate more content than any human being could reasonably read, and

@too_many_userna said:

we aren't here to listen as much as possible before talking - we are here to poke fun, reply to things that piqued our interest or curiosity, in a very nonlinear manner, and as fast as possible

In that case, entering at the end of the topic should work -- since your goal is not to read but to reply as fast as possible. There's a bunch of ways to enter at the end.

• @sam - I completely agree with @Lorne_Kates. And not only do you insult us, but you lock us out. On Vote of No Confidence earlier today I had about 12 posts already, and I was really trying to get you to understand why I don't looks continuous scrolling. All of sudden, I couldn't post to that topic anymore because new users are only allowed 3 posts on a topic. I'm betting that you changed three settings, not wanting to see my posts anymore. Plus, for a forum that's only 3 days old, that's a really dumb rule to implement.

• Banned

@Lorne_Kates said:

THIS forum for THIS community does not need or want infinite scrolling, and NO amount of arguments-- ranging from asspulls to the most scientific study in the universe-- will ever change that fact. Realize that, realize that one little fact-- that THIS forum for THIS community-- is different. Recognize the needs and wants of your stakeholders, and things go so SO much smoother.

If you open with "my religion exists so that yours may be destroyed", there's not a lot of room for coexistence. shrug

• @codinghorror said:

In that case, entering at the end of the topic should work

Except that if we only go to the end, we miss out on things about which to poke fun... as I said: nonlinear.

Edit: Hah I got bit by the "couldn't select the initial 'i' in a quote" thing...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@codinghorror said:

And most of my posts are of the "here are ways to do what you want to do" variety. Feel free to browse my post history, which dare I say is quite easy in Discourse, and that's a great thing, since it's the #1 way to understand the tenor and tone of a participant in a discussion.

Can you explain in a single sentence why I should spend my evening (and perhaps even longer after that) reading through your post history to try to learn to use a tool that is doing a poorer job that the tool I already had-- and that still might not be able to fully do the job I want it to do... instead of spending my evening using the tool I already had to have fun?

@codinghorror said:

think some other changes are perfectly reasonable, as @sam proposed:

And I think it's unbelievably ironic that you started that sentence with "I", since that makes it impossible to quote. So, Jeff, is @sam a Discourse developer? And if so, do you agree with the arrogant and dismissive tone he's taking with members of the community you're trying to get to adopt and accept your product?

• Banned

OK, then the keyboard shortcut to enter a topic at an arbitrary post number should let you teleport to the last 20% of the conversation as desired, should it not?

How is that materially different than deciding which page number to click on?

• @codinghorror said:

Because you're right, if 50 people are posting constantly, they easily generate more content than any human being could reasonably read, and

I don't think Discourse can know what's relevant, but I could be wrong.

• @codinghorror said:

There are two classes of feedback:

This car needs power windows.
    This car needs a truck bed.
    I am all for a better car. But I'm not so much a fan of the Subaru Brat..

Well at least here's some honesty. I mean, we all knew he didn't give a shit what we think, but at least he's in here saying, "oh hey BTW, I don't give a shit what you think. Fuck off and die, thanks."

That's reassuring I guess.

• In fact, @sam is one of the co-founders of Discourse.

• @too_many_userna said:

because infinite scroll is extremely linear.

More linear than pages? Does this concept of "linear" even apply?

• Banned

The metrics used for post relevance in topic summaries:

• external incoming links to the post
    • internal incoming links to the post
    • read time for the post (we measure how long every post is open on everyone's screen)
    • read flags for the post (was the post ever visible on-screen at all, and to how many people)