The Naming thread - names given to networks, used for test data, etc.

• Let's face it, a lot of us do this, as silly and job-compromising as it can be: using absurd names whenever given the freedom to use whatever name we want to. I've got a fair number of good examples myself, but for now I'll start by asking who recognizes the names and experience I used for some test data recently:

D. Wizzard, Rincewind - Unseen University (OK, that's a gimme)
    Carter, Zoe - Exchanging masculinity for femininity (pretty obscure, but someone may know it)
    Smith, John - Gallifrey College of Time Management (the name part is a little obscure, but the experience is a dead giveaway)
    Goodkind, Ayla - Harvard Business School; Making a billion dollars by the age of 15 (this one I don't expect anyone to get)
    Hinkley, Roy - Cleveland Institute of Improvisational Technology (I'll skip the rest of the 'experience', as it would give away this one)
    North, Oliver - William Donovan School of Dirty Business; Trading Arms for Hostages, 1986 (anyone in the US who is over 35 should get this one)

• @ScholRLEA said:

the name part is a little obscure

Come on, it was one of the most memorable episodes.

Anyway, my names are mostly "aaaaaa bbbbbbb", "naaaaame surnaaaaame" and "teeeest testtest". I'm much better off putting my creativity into code.

• Obscure? Hell no. For YEARS, that was his stock alias, long before the reboot went on. I think it dates back to 1970 with Three, but I could be wrong. And it's also been referenced even before the Family of Blood (i.e. Smith and Jones, the season opener)

• My test stuff is usually me slamming the keyboard like a baboon.

I name my shit after kaiju. My beefy desktop is Godzilla, my laptop is Rodan or sometimes Gaos, my cellphone is Garuda (not technically kaiju, but a pretty badass movie).

I kind of mix-and-match, other than the desktop. For example, my laptop has been Gamera before, and once my phone was Gamera, and I think I've used Iris before. (The 90s Gamera movies were great, but there were only like 3 different kinds of kaiju in them, so not a ton of naming possibilities there.)

I should start popping in some American kaiju but they generally either don't have names (the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms is a bit long), or have names that aren't very useful for naming shit (Q: The Winged Serpent, for example.) And I don't like the giant apes-- FUCK YOU Mighty Joe Young!

• People actually do this? I never did.

• @ScholRLEA said:

Goodkind, Ayla - Harvard Business School; Making a billion dollars by the age of 15 (this one I don't expect anyone to get)

Ayla was the name of the Mary Sue bimbo in that series of books about cavemen, The Clan of the Cave Bear and sequels. Ugh they suuucked.

• Right reference, wrong Ayla. This one was (much to his dismay) given this name before he was aware of where it came from, after it was decided his old name wasn't suitable anymore.

• DECLARE @FirstName VARCHAR(25) = LEFT(NEWID(), 25)

• When I worked with GIS stuff, our main demo application was loaded with random name pairs pulled from various top 1000 first and surnames for the U.S. However there were quite a few other names manually inserted into the data after all the random stuff was generated. There were quite a few Star Wars, Star Trek, and Monty Python characters, and even a parcel adjacent to a river belonging to Matt Foley with the address listed as "A van down by the river."

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

I liked the naming scheme used for workstations at the university where I did my degree. We used the names of local settlements (hamlets, villages, small towns) which had the property of usually being in the region of 4–7 letters long. Some of the names were pretty weird, tbh; did you know that there's a place called Wendy? I didn't before then…

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

A series of servers: Mercury, Agni, Terminus. All serving a site called Crossroads and a bot named Hermes (who interfaces with said site).

For test data, since my real data set tends to be cars, I use mecha or transformers.

• @dkf said:

I liked the naming scheme used for workstations at the university where I did my degree. We used the names of local settlements (hamlets, villages, small towns) which had the property of usually being in the region of 4–7 letters long. Some of the names were pretty weird, tbh; did you know that there's a place called Wendy? I didn't before then…

I always did this in my Civilization games, would name cities after all the local towns in the area. Most of those towns IRL had populations between 50 - 400 which amused me when they became industrial powerhouses in the game.

• FoxDev

Well i recently created 6 servers at work and named them:

• Lilly
    • Hanako
    • Emi
    • Rin
    • Shizune
    • Misha

I pray no one at work ever finds where i got the names from.

• You didn't name one after Rin?

• FoxDev

drat.

i did. i just typed the name wrong when i posted.

Riku is one of my personal machines.

corrected my post.

• And now I pray nobody on the forums knows why I knew that.

• If it helps, I don't know how you know those because I have no idea where those names come from.

• FoxDev

until you decide to google them...

how much do i have to bribe you with so you never do that?

• Surely that's incentive for me to Google them?

I figure if you want me to know, you'll tell me. If not, you won't. It really is as simple as that. It's obviously quite personal.

• in 1999 I was working part time in badly-underfunded NPO that helped the homeless of Berkeley and Oakland into housing and jobs, and was doing all the tech support for both offices part time (my main gig at the time was supposed to be a getting started up as a partner in a consulting company, but it turned out neither of us were very good at managing a business; in particular, while my main partner was good at schmoozing potential clients, or so he thought, none of the ever seemed to actually hire us).

The main office, in downtown Oakland, had a large classroom upstairs where they would teach basic office skills, including working in Windows. With the help of a larger grant I managed to get all the PCs I could up to Windows 98 (most still had been Windows 3.11 up until then), and replaced the single dial-up line with what was then a state of the art 384Kbit DSL. I personally shelled out for a small SOHO router and convinced the boss that we could afford the network cables to hook the whole thing up as a peer-to-peer network.

The computers at the front of the room were most often used, being for things like sending out resumes and practicing basic skills like word processing, so I gave them names of famous scientists: Edison, Franklin, Tesla, etc. I even named three of them Banneker, Carver, and Just, which I hoped would be a little bit of encouragement for some of the mostly African-American clients (not that many would notice the names in the first place, but hey) .

The second group weren't used as often, but were from time to time filled by some of the larger classes. I named them for composers: Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. Nothing very special.

The third group was the smallest, and was supposed to be dedicated to a single project. Unfortunately, while the funding for the PCs came through, the funding for the rest of the project fell through, and since the funding for the PCs themselves was predicated on their exclusive use for this big project, they were stuck in the back and sat unused. I decided to have a little fun with those names: Barrow, Heywood, Spooner, Goldman, Hill, Parker, Thornley, Tucker, and Fish. Two of those were ringers - they didn't really fit the theme, but are sort of 'adopted' by some of that group as being simpatico, and if you are familiar with their MO at all you'll see why. Another name could refer to two different individuals, but I had the more historically important one in mind primarily.

Can anyone see the theme? It shouldn't be too hard. It may seem a little surprising coming from me, but I was a very different person back then.

• FoxDev

you, i like.

i only care that work doesn't find out, because that would just make it awkward.

i don't care if TDWTF finds out. If i did i wouldn't have posted the names

• I try to be likeable :) There are certain people that for whom, being liked is somewhere between a distant dream and an impossible fantasy but you never know 😛

I'm guessing some kind of anime but I have watched the grand total of one Studio Ghibli production in my life (and that was originally in English, though I had the Japanese dub with English subtitles for bonus WTFery, though it was utterly fantastic)

• I remember how I found a program that generated random levels for a game I like to play.
    I ended up making a huge pile of random levels named after Urusei Yatsura characters.

• FoxDev

Hayao Miyazaki FTW!

which film did you see?

/me is fangirl over Miyazaki's works

• Howl's Moving Castle 😃

• FoxDev

oooh a good one!

if you are looking for more may i recommend wither Ponyo or The Secret of Arrietty

both are brilliantly executed.

• @mott555 said:

There were quite a few Star Wars, Star Trek, and Monty Python characters

An example of the last I'd expect you to be able to get away with: Bunn, Wackett, Buzzard, Stubble and Boot.

I call two of my feral cats McDonnell and Douglas.

Because they're both jet black.

• Oh, we have a list of things we're watching ;)

• Well I'm guessing it's Anime Anime Anime Anime Anime I Love Japan.

... am I close?

A friend of mine from way back used to have a machine called Chiark. (And it appears that he is still keeping it's namesake going.)

• FoxDev

In that you hit the right planet, yes. More than that, not really, but thanks for playing.

• BINNED

Really, where's the shame in bishōjo?

At any rate my home network boxen are named after Egyptian deities. Except the wifi router's SSID is "DEA Surveillance TF# 15MN5", just to mess w/ the pot-heads across the street.

For test names, I just use random crap as working in a retail environment, it seems there are no rules for names. I've seen real names that looked very similar to Flsdjkak Ulsdowevn.

• My router is named AdorableKittenVideos, which is a recurring reference on WWDTM.

• The only thing I have had a hand in naming are the devices at home. Our network is called "The Cartoon Network" and everything on it is named after a cartoon character, either TV or comic book. This naming convention has been in place since we first networked computers at home in the late 1990s.

When it comes to test data I am a keyboard smasher. If I need to be able to know which piece of test data is which then I'll start with a number or do it alphabetically. I used to be more creative but I did a stint in test management and that teaches you that it's much less agro calling test workflows "001Test", "002Test", etc than the names of Martin Scorsese films in chronological order.

• Wi-Fi networks I name tend to be named after Monty Python. Between me and my family, we have "The Knights Who Say Ni", "The Cheese Shop", and "The Ministry of Silly Walks."

The sad part is how few people get the references.

• I think we as a society should have just stopped making any kind of comedy after Monty Python's show ended in 1974.

• #Name bank

• The Spanish Inquisition
    • Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Pewty
    • The Reverend Arthur Belling
    • Luigi Vercotti
    • Ken Shabby
    • Mr. Eric Praline
    • The Batley Townswomen's Guild
    • Jethro Q. Walrustitty
    • Raymond Luxury Yacht

• @Arantor said:

anime

(and that was originally in English, though I had the Japanese dub with English subtitles for bonus WTFery, though it was utterly fantastic)

Sometimes it's better to watch it in Japanese if it's the original version, with the English dub. While the words may not be understood, you can at least pick up the emotion and emphasis with which they're said, giving a better feel for the occurring events.

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clH1-os8ER8
    vs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3Kb2iyV-s

• ♿ (Parody)

@redwizard said:

Sometimes it's better to watch it in Japanese if it's the original version, with the English dub subtitles.

FTFY TDEMSYR

• In this case... it's not. Howl's Moving Castle when originally made by Studio Ghibli has an English voice cast. Including Billy Crystal in a role I can't quite picture him in.

But we watched a Japanese dub with subtitles and while I'd normally agree with you about the whole 'watching it in the original language', in this case I get the impression it was an improvement given some of the other cast.

• FoxDev

@M_Adams said:

Really, where's the shame in bishōjo?

Nowhere really. But with certain kinds of coworkers it is easier if they don't find out you enjoy it.

not for the shame, cause there is none, but because... well if one gets in the habit of ignoring them one can miss important information.

• @M_Adams said:

For test names, I just use random crap as working in a retail environment, it seems there are no rules for names. I've seen real names that looked very similar to Flsdjkak Ulsdowevn.

Oh. There really are no rules for names. The (Eve Online, p.s) character that gave this account its name is a walking Bobby Tables mini-me, who's actually drawn a 500 from alliance services during his brief stay in nullsec eons ago... (TL;DR: Eve Online alliance IT can be just as WTFy as the real thing.)

• @accalia said:

until you decide to google them...

how much do i have to bribe you with so you never do that?

Of course you know that in this forum, "until you decide to google them..." is seen as "I think I should do this now".

Edit: just read the next few posts... I should go back to reading threads backwards.

• FoxDev

i am aware. See my reply a few posts later:

@accalia said:

i only care that work doesn't find out, because that would just make it awkward.

i don't care if TDWTF finds out. If i did i wouldn't have posted the names

• That list is a bit too vague. I recognize some of the names but don't recall the skits.

These are up next on my list, some are stolen from yours:

*Spam-Loving Vikings
    *The Spanish Inquisition
    *Raymond Luxury Yacht (pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove)
    *Pining For The Fjords

Wow! Usually Markdown listifies things I don't want to be lists! Inversion of the norm here!

• @accalia said:

i am aware. See my reply a few posts later:

Hanzo'ed you! ;-)

• FoxDev

@mott555 said:

Spam-Loving VikingsThe Spanish Inquisition*Raymond Luxury Yacht (pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove)*Pining For The Fjords

... I was going to post a snarky CNR by editing your quote to include the spaces... but wow... i think i found a bug!

• I just hit a bug, I came back to this topic from posting in another, and suddenly got redirected back to the topic from whence I came. Had to press the back button to get back here.

Quite surreal.

• Days Since Last Bug: 0<t3185p49>