The Home Stretch

• Banned

Hey, what's that youtube link in your screenshot to Rich "lowtax" Kyanka video? I want to watch it.

• @codinghorror said:

Hey, what's that youtube link in your screenshot to Rich "lowtax" Kyanka video? I want to watch it.

OH AND THEN LET'S PLAY BATTLEFIELD WHATEVER COP GAME BECAUSE YOU'RE MY BEST FUCKING BUDDY IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!

No wait, sorry. I forgot for a moment that you are a fucking piece of shit. Fuck off and die. And you know what? I mean that seriously. Genuinely. You are bad at writing software. Terrible at it. You don't deserve to be making any money for victimizing people with your shit software. You're also terrible as a human being. You are seriously the worst person I know online.

I'm not joking: at this moment, I wish that you would kill yourself with a rusty implement. Maybe there's someone competent on the Discourse team who could still make a decent piece of software if your diseased mind were far removed from them. I doubt it, but hey: hope springs eternal.

Of course I'll screenshot this, seeing as you'll delete it immediately.

• Banned

Welcome back blakeyrat! It's really good to see you around these parts again.

• Oh yay, let's deflect some more! Blakeyrat's too stupid to fall for these psychological tricks that wouldn't fool a 5-year old!!! Every problem can be solved with meme pictures!!!!! That's much better than having, say, a QA person.

• blakey, just so you know, you are being a fucking dick again.

Yours Sincerely,

-impartial third party

• @algorythmics said:

blakey, just so you know, you are being a fucking dick again.

Yup, over the line.

I would post a longer rebuke, but I'm afraid it'd get swallowed by the software :-)

• Don't know what's more amusing - the utterly broken chain of posts, Jeff's passive agressiveness or Blakey's agressive agressiveness.

Still, I fucking love this thread.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• This is turning very quickly into a forum where 5 people are bitching about the forum, and the rest doesn't have a clue what it's about, while the OP gets buried. What a refreshing way to kill a forum.

• I'm usually against spurious meta everywhere, but this time it's warranted. This is a huge issue.

Maybe @PJH can spin this off into meta once he gets back.

• Banned

FYI I rebaked everything in the last 24 hours ping me if this starts again. I am trying to get to the bottom of it.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

Maybe @PJH can spin this off into meta once he gets back.

Sam's upgraded the forum... we'll see how it goes...

• Banned

@PJH btw those badges @codinghorror mentioned need to be fixed regardless, open a topic on meta.d with the error I will explain how to fix.

@sam said:

@PJH btw those badges @codinghorror mentioned need to be fixed regardless, open a topic on meta.d with the error I will explain how to fix.

Which badges and what's the problem with them?

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

You're also terrible as a human being

Would you say he's...

<smalll>Subhuman?

• Banned

Have a look at /logs it keeps complaining

• Friday I'm told I will no longer be able to participate in my own threads in the Lounge because I don't use the stupid Facebook buttons enough.

Then yesterday, my posts simply disappear from existence.

I call "they started it! Nyaaah!"

• Banned

@PJH controls all the knobs and can set them how he will.

Also, being a cruel to people who take time away from their family to sort out issues on your forum on the weekend is uncool.

• Maybe if you gave a shit about testing your code during normal working hours, you wouldn't have to.

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said:

Huh? What are you talking about?
    It's all in the "Fair Labor Standards Act" as amended every 15 goddamn minutes by Congress.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp

Us and our bosses (when's the last time you saw one of them work more than 40 hours?) are the only white collar exemptions. Believe me, around hour 150 of this shitshow, I familiarized myself with the law quite thoroughly.

I genuinely like the work, and, lets face it, I'm not going to be in charge of the architecture, design, and execution of an entire product suite anywhere else. At this stage in my career I'd be lucky to be getting off the bullshit maintenance programming train anywhere else. So I'm hesitant to leave. But after this, they're going to need to pay up quite heavily (and a month's vacation ain't paying anything off - that's just ensuring I need to work OT for 2 more months to catch up). Payment in 5-figure cash bonus or a large pay bump only.

TLDR: Weng is dumb.

• That doesn't mean you have to actually work at a shithole like that.

• @Weng said:

Us and our bosses (when's the last time you saw one of them work more than 40 hours?) are the only white collar exemptions. Believe me, around hour 150 of this shitshow, I familiarized myself with the law quite thoroughly.

Why'd you sign that contract, then? I don't get what you expect the Federal Government to do about a job you took willingly with terms disclosed beforehand.

To be honest, I've never read that. Nor do I really care. Employment is between you and the employer; they give you a contract, you read it and if you agree to it, sign it. If you disagree with it, negotiate. There's too much government involvement already in the process.

If it helps, I do know California has some law requiring some form of overtime for salary workers, I don't know how it works.

EDIT: BTW if your bosses are working only 40 hours a week and not getting grief for it, figure out what they're doing that's different from what you're doing, then start doing it. There's no magic involved.

• @sam said:

@PJH controls all the knobs and can set them how he will.

Also, being a cruel to people who take time away from their family to sort out issues on your forum on the weekend is uncool.

While I sympathise with your position, I do find it difficult to feel too much sympathy. I've been where you are. I've done what you're doing: taking time away from my family to fix things for other people.

But I can't help agreeing with the sentiment behind blakeyrat: the number of bugs we keep finding because of a lack of testing (or a code base so complex it's impossible to test anyway), is basically a rod for your own back. And maybe if Jeff hadn't been quite so much of a prick to us previously, we'd be a little more sympathetic.

• Garbage Person

I've never seen an employment contract specifying OT for a programming position out of the box (except at the super-entry level where they don't pay you enough to qualify and for temp-contracting/outsource gigs). I've also never seen an extended crunch project like this outside the games industry, so negotiating for the extreme wasn't a priority - I spent all my chips on regular pay.

Headed into the office now. Actual code snippets will be forthcoming.

• Well, here's the deal. You know better than anybody your value to the company. Calculate it, put it down on paper, and get a nice 1-to-1 meeting going with your manager and lay it out there. Don't make any threats or ultimatums, phrase everything in relation to the company and risk management. Honestly if you know the phrase "opportunity-cost" and can use it correctly in a sentence, you should have no problems.

"Hey boss, by having one developers on these tasks, the company is taking-on a huge and unnecessary risk. Now I figure that the new product is due to bring up $X in revenue, which per-head is more revenue than any other department in the company. Hiring another programmer to help with it will actually save $Y and also greatly reduce the risk in the company."

Something like that. But until you say something and run it up the flagpole, nothing's gonna improve. And next time do it before you're posting on DailyWTF about it. :)

@sam said:

Have a look at /logs it keeps complaining

Cant do much until I'm near a keyboard. On Tuesday.

• You go away for one day and the whole forum goes to shit. Good job.

• Garbage Person

I got all the economic arguments and opportunity cost discussions out of the way months ago. My requests for appropriate manpower were denied. All that's left is to total up the butcher's bill, show them that my time and cost estimates were dead on accurate and that they cannot manage software cost by executive fiat.

And then remind them that they're paying me less than the jackwad "developers" on other teams who actually made this difficult.

• :belt_onion:

@blakeyrat said:

They deleted it in a matter of milliseconds, I'm not exaggerating. They must have a basement full of enslaved orphans deleting posts for them, it's the only explanation.

they deleted it because swearing is against the rules. Maybe if you had called their forum a flaming bag of poopy, that might fly.

• Except you did the work pro Bono, so they can.

• Garbage Person

Once. And that only if they consider "the guy who designed, managed the construction of, and the only person alive who truly understands what the product actually does might leave" to be free. Which, fortunately for me, they don't.

• Your manager(s) might not, but your executives probably do.

• @Matches said:

executives

these are the people who your bosses will need to convince to sign off on said 5 figure bonus.

good luck!

• @darkmatter said:

Oh - you weren't the first it seems, @m_adams - @redwizard actually did this an hour ago in the likes topic, but it doesn't seem to have completely trashed the whole topic, just his post.

...and I still got likes for it! 😈

• Garbage Person

The Memory Leak

This thing leaks memory like a sieve. Less than 500 web requests = out of memory. Given it really doesn't actually do anything of substance (it inserts records into the database in two different ways, as described by the tortured logic above) this is surprising. After an extensive weekend audit of all the code actually in the class files, no obvious resource leaks showed. So we commented all the "actually do stuff" code out.

Still leaks memory.

That leaves dependencies. There are only two (other than WCF/.net itself)- validation and logging - which are Microsoft Patterns & Practices Enterprise Library 6 modules. None of us had used the validation module, and either it's insanely overcomplicated for this task (OH GOD WE NEED TO MAKE SURE A FIELD HAS A PARTICULAR DATE/TIME FORMAT IN IT!) or is being used wrong. Way wrong.

Enterprise Library logging, on the other hand, we've all used, and never really had problems with it (though on our own code we use log4net because it's way less complicated).

Removed both dependencies (by the expedient of "deleting all the code that uses it") and all is now well in the world (except for the complete and total lack of logging and validation)

• @Weng said:

Still leaks memory.

That leaves dependencies. There are only two (other than WCF/.net itself)- validation and logging - which are Microsoft Patterns & Practices Enterprise Library 6 modules. None of us had used the validation module, and either it's insanely overcomplicated for this task (OH GOD WE NEED TO MAKE SURE A FIELD HAS A PARTICULAR DATE/TIME FORMAT IN IT!) or is being used wrong. Way wrong.

Enterprise Library logging, on the other hand, we've all used, and never really had problems with it (though on our own code we use log4net because it's way less complicated).

Removed both dependencies (by the expedient of "deleting all the code that uses it") and all is now well in the world (except for the complete and total lack of logging and validation)

So they're Doing It Wrong™? I'm so surprised. -_-

• @Weng said:

I've been working utterly absurd amounts of overtime for the past few months (240 hours now. Unpaid, naturally, because "Computer programmers" and "Farmers" are covered by the same exemption to labor laws in the US).

I could see some benefits to this changing to a mandatory time-and-a-half scheme:

• More effort is placed into project estimation and risk assessment, since the cost of overly optimistic estimates would be drastically higher
    • Software prices rise across the board (replacing artificially low prices from exploiting workers), reversing @Lorne_Kates' race to the bottom
    • More predictable hours for all concerned

And some drawbacks:

• Some developers purposefully waste time to get into overtime
    • Management interrupts developers to check on progress every 10 minutes

@Weng said:

We're 1 week from "go-live" (none of the client implementations are anywhere near go-live, so the go-live date is just an arbitrary day by which I have been told to have a handful of woefully underpowered servers idling in a warehouse) and a few minor polish tasks. Whoopdedoo. We're done. Pack it in.

The schadenfreude of watching a magical date get set in defiance of reality, and then missed, is most delicious.

@Weng said:

I genuinely like the work, and, lets face it, I'm not going to be in charge of the architecture, design, and execution of an entire product suite anywhere else.

My last two jobs have involved the architecture, design, and execution of not a whole product suite, but a couple products to an existing product suite. I've written about 30-40% of the code in the product suite I'm currently working on. It's not that uncommon, especially in companies with <= 30 people. And I can count on two hands and two feet the number of times I've worked more than 8 hours a day at this current job in over three years. So don't feel trapped, unless you have to be in charge of everything, or geography is a limiting factor.

• @sam said:

The price of being a public figure is that people get to shit on you.

That said, I do sympathize with your plight because you're far more pragmatic on the issues than @codinghorror, and willing to entertain ideas that fall outside the dogma. Firefighting on the weekend is no fun.

@codinghorror said:

Welcome back blakeyrat! It's really good to see you around these parts again.

MONITER.

@algorythmics said:

blakey, just so you know, you are being a fucking dick again.

Yours Sincerely,

-impartial third party

Albeit a lovable dick.

@Matches said:

Except you did the work pro Bono, so they can.

I'm not sure I'd want my work to be for this guy.

• Garbage Person

@Groaner said:

or geography is a limiting factor.
    100 yards in that direction ===> is a field being tended by men with horses.

Not really a limiting factor, since I commute here from actual civilization and have thus far resisted the urge to buy a farm and cut out the commute, but it's still funny.

@redwizard said:

So they're Doing It Wrong™? I'm so surprised. -_-

? Pretty sure that he's talking about his own problem, not dicsourse. Just a coincidence.

• Garbage Person

This post is deleted!

• Garbage Person

This code is supposed to extract a single-letter suffix from the end of an otherwise numeric string. The suffix may or may not exist.

Submitted for your appraisal:

public char ExtractSuffix(string idObject)
        {
            char retVal = '\0';

if (idObject != null)
            {
                string dbCode = idObject.Substring(idObject.Length - 1, 1);
                char chr;
                if (char.TryParse(dbCode, out chr))
                {
                    int testResult;                    
                    if (!Int32.TryParse(chr.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture), out testResult))
                    {
                        retVal = chr;
                    }                    
                }
            }

return retVal;
        }

why all the back and forth from string to char to string to char?

Since we're on dicsourse, and dicsourse LOVES regexes, lets do your code regex-style for funsies?
    [code]
    import System.Text.RegularExpressions;
    public char ExtractSuffix(string idObject) {
    return idObject!= null && Regex.IsMatch(idObject, "[a-z]$", RegexOptions.IgnoreCase)) ? idObject.ToCharArray(idObject.Length - 1],1)[0] : '\0';
    }
    [/code]

and yes I don't know which of these 2 I'd rather see if I stumbled on it myself.

• Garbage Person

Look at it this way: Just having regex there makes it obvious what the goatballs we're doing - trying to decide if the thing meets a pattern.

My personal correct design would have used a nullable char (instead of the abomination that is passing the null character around everywhere, where it'll inevitably get concatenated onto something and ultimately collapse some other poorly built application into a black hole that consumes the world), nabbed the last character with idObject[idObject.Length-1] (no need to ToCharArray - you can do that implicitly) and used Char.IsNumeric().

And it would have been static, since it doesn't need instance state. or maybe an extension method to String, if I felt the need to show off.

• @sam said:

@PJH controls all the knobs

Who are you calling a knob?

Filed under: [Fighting talk in Stockton-on-Tees][1]

• I would wager that @PJH doesn't have much control of the knobs in that context... 😆