The Official Status Thread

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

No, but you did imply it. Twice.

They are nuts. It says so right there in the name. I know they come from a different biological classification than tree nuts (and the difference is very clear to me in other ways, as my wife is allergic to tree nuts but fine with peanuts), but so fucking what?

They are goddamned nuts as far as food is concerned.

• @boomzilla said:

They are nuts. It says so right there in the name

Ok, so if you ask for an apple, I'll send you a 🍍.

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

Ok, so if you ask for an apple, I'll send you a . Regardless of the name, peanuts are beans.

And regardless of what biological classification you choose to use, peanuts are nuts and pineapples aren't pineapples. Because "nuts" includes peanuts and tree nuts. Peanuts are very similar to tree nuts in ways that other legumes aren't.

But apples are just apples.

This reminds me of people who have to start counting years at 1 and want, say, 1980 to be part of the 1970s.

• @boomzilla said:

peanuts are nuts and pineapples aren't pineapples.

• BINNED

Action: Command
    Command: core show channels

Response: Follows
    Privilege: Command
    Channel Location State Application(Data)
    SIP/605R0001-0000025 602@sip-phones:41 Up Dial(SIP/602R0001,30,tTkK)
    SIP/602R0001-0000025 (None) Up AppDial((Outgoing Line))
    2 active channels
    1 active call
    314 calls processed
    --END COMMAND--

Action: Redirect
    Channel: SIP/605R0001-0000025
    Context: sip-phones
    Exten: 600
    Priority: 1

Response: Error

Asterisk, you... WHAT?

Edit: Oh... it was SIP/605R0001-00000251. Output format can't even handle it's own, automatically generated, channel names?

• @boomzilla said:

Because "nuts" includes peanuts and tree nuts. Peanuts are very similar to tree nuts in ways that other legumes aren't.

See, this is a better argument than this:

@boomzilla said:

They are nuts. It says so right there in the name.

And this just doesn't make sense:

@boomzilla said:

pineapples aren't pineapples

• Status: woke up at like 4 due to insomnia. Now it's closer to 7 and I'm going to try to get back to sleep, because fuck everything.

• FoxDev

status: surprised the previous title of this thread lasted that long.

• Status: Wanting to strangle the idiot who decided that ASP.NET validation controls can only belong to one validation group and that you would only ever want to validate one validation group at a time.

• As am I. I finally had to kill it.

• ♿ (Parody)

@abarker said:

See, this is a better argument than this:

But the name thing is pithier.

@abarker said:

And this just doesn't make sense:

I'm just going to leave it there because it's more amusing that way.

• @boomzilla said:

But the name thing is pithier.

It also allows for counters like:

@abarker said:

if you ask for an apple, I'll send you a 🍍.

Dammit Dicsourse, why do I still need to manually insert emoji into quotes? @discoursebot!

• @abarker - Days Since Last Discourse Bug: 0

• The last three days of my life have been the most productive in years. And they included a 15-hour videogaming binge. Also I do not (seem to) have cancer, so that's nice too.

Overall status: shit's intense yo.

• @abarker said:

Ok, so if you ask for an apple, I'll send you a 🍍 .

I actually had that happen to me once. I had a recipe1 that called specifically for a pippin apple, so I wrote "pippin apple" on the grocery list. The roommate that did the grocery shopping brought home a pineapple.

Edit: Changed the location from which the footnote is referenced to avoid further confusion.

1Stuffed mushrooms — one of my favorite recipes from that cookbook, but rather labor intensive — I haven't made it in years. I should do that.

• @HardwareGeek said:

pippin apple

Isn't that the name of a type of apple? Oh, Newtown Pippin. Anyway I could see that causing a mistake (though a different one from what you got).

• @anonymous234 said:

Overall status: shit's intense yo.

Like camping?

(Could not resist, no matter how bad and overused it is. In a way, it makes it better.)

• @locallunatic said:

Isn't that the name of a type of apple?

Yes, a tart apple normally used for cooking. Why the recipe requested pippin specifically, rather than generic "tart cooking apple" I'm not quite sure.

@locallunatic said:

Newtown Pippin
    There is also Cox Orange Pippin. They're also supposed to be good for juice. We used to have a tree. My ex-wife specifically wanted that variety, but the tree was only a couple of years old when we sold the house, and I don't recall whether we got any fruit off of it in that time. I can see that name causing confusion, too.

• @HardwareGeek said:

Yes, a tart apple normally used for cooking. Why the recipe requested pippin specifically, rather than generic "tart cooking apple" I'm not quite sure.

Apologies, your footnote made it look like you were trying to say that "pippin apple" was a term for a stuffed mushroom thus my confused response; should have quoted both bits to make that clear.

• Sorry, edited the post to clarify that.

The apples get chopped up and used as part of the stuffing. My mouth is watering and I'm hungry and it's two hours to lunch and I don't have any stuffed mushrooms and that makes me sad and I know this is a run-on sentence that should have a lot of commas in it and I did it on purpose for rhetorical effect.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Status: Car broke down, couldn't get to work until noon. That gave me several hours to play Warlords of Draenor. Got my garrison, my first follower, a bunch of upgraded armor, etc. All in all, a productive session. Got to work, got a couple of customers' problems knocked out of the park right away, managed to find a thirds' problem more or less isn't my issue, and attempted to kick it to the right problem (another company, our business partner.)

Pretty productive there, so far, too.

• @FrostCat said:

Status: Car broke down, couldn't get to work until noon. That gave me several hours to play Warlords of Draenor. Got my garrison, my first follower, a bunch of upgraded armor, etc. All in all, a productive session. Got to work, got a couple of customers' problems knocked out of the park right away, managed to find a thirds' problem more or less isn't my issue, and attempted to kick it to the right problem (another company, our business partner.)

Pretty productive there, so far, too.

Don't leave us hanging. What was wrong with your car?

Current status: feeling better. Vented to my supervisor about the complaints that are mostly posted in this thread.
    Not much will get fixed soon, but at least I've made my opinions known.

• I remember one time being vague about something, but I can't remember what it was. 😄

• Status: Diluting my blood with caffeine. Sweet, hot caffeine.

• According to Discosearch, this topic contains to references at all to the object of the topic title. I therefore present this:

• Well, nothing direct anyway:

@accalia said:

status: i have no regrets about getting that song stuck in your head again. 😛

This was in reference to the title which she had implemented at the time.

@chubertdev said:

Don't leave us hanging. What was wrong with your car?

Won't know until tomorrow. A coworker picked me up and brought me in to the office. It's probably going to be something stupid, something expensive, or both.

• @abarker said:

the title which she had implemented at the time

And since the edit history isn't visible, I have no idea what that was.

@abarker said:

@accalia said:
    getting that song stuck in your head again
    NVM; I'm pretty sure I don't really want to know.

• @HardwareGeek said:

And since the edit history isn't visible, I have no idea what that was.

It's the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll..

@HardwareGeek said:

NVM; I'm pretty sure I don't really want to know.

Oops.

Filed Under: I blame @accalia

• FoxDev

@abarker said:

It's the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll.

keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll keep posting it forever just because this is the status that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. some people started posting it not knowing what it was and they'll

• @abarker said:

Oops.

It's ok. My brain doesn't have a tune to attach to those words, so I'm not bothered by it getting stuck. Please do NOT supply me with a tune.

• FoxDev

• Easily solved by not clicking the video. :P

• It'd be nice if Discourse didn't randomly move the page around when a new or edited post comes in, because that caused me to click on the video. when I was meaning to click to give the window focus.

It's just a good thing I have YouTube blocked from running in my browser at work.

• BINNED

@ChaosTheEternal said:

because that caused me to click on the video. when I was meaning to click to give the window focus

One of the little things that I miss on Windows - being able to scroll the window without giving it exclusive focus.

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

It'd be nice if Discourse didn't randomly move the page around

Definitely one of the most annoying of Discourse's many annoying "features."

• Grade A Premium Asshole

Status: Had a hell of a day. The Exchange uninstall that I referenced when chatting with @HardwareGeek decided to delete all of the user accounts on the server instead of just the mailboxes, so my phone started ringing at 7am. My wife is out of town so I am playing single dad and had to hurry and get him ready and off to daycare and go and fix it because there is also a horrible sore throat/chest cold going through my workers and the field guys are mostly out of commission. Plus, it was my mess so I would have wanted to clean it up anyway.

I got that taken care of, had to do a directory services restore. The users who thought to disconnect their computers from the network and then login all forced their computers to load temporary profiles, so I had to do registry edits on all of those.

I left there and had to deal with a horrible PowerBuilder EMR application that in order to install their faxing functionality required two shitty free apps to make it work and both were 32-bit but absolutely had to be installed to C:\Program Files. If they were installed in x86, it would not work. Oh, and every machine that they need to fax medical records it had to be installed to "Program Files", so I had to reinstall it on every machine in there manually, no Group Policy. It also required a registry edit to the Adobe Reader keys to point to the GhostScript directory and had to have Adobe Reader updates disabled because any update will write new registry keys and kill the faxing.

What a sack of shit program. To top it all off, I forgot to eat today so I had my first meal at 6PM after picking up my boy. Now we are watching Dora the Explorer and I am having a Jack and Coke. I feel like I earned it after today...

• @chubertdev, @locallunatic:

This conversation is getting longer than I expected. Any objections to moving it to a new topic?

• Knock yourself out.

@ChaosTheEternal said:

that caused me to click on the video. when I was meaning to click to give the window focus.

I'm teaching myself to click in the whitespace on the extreme left or right to avoid that.

• I moved 12 posts to an existing topic: ASP.NET Validation Group Workarounds

• Status: Just starred this topic so I can find it, because YACTTC.

I have officially gotten twice as much enjoyment from this game as from Ghosts.

• Listening to Serial and trying to tire myself out so I can actually get more than an hour of sleep tonight.

• Status: Figured out why one relatively small C program was using 100MB of RAM when started (which is a bit of a problem on a system with only 150MB of memory...)
    It was a combination of:

• The program locking all its mapped pages into memory (really)
    • The program creating 12 threads during its operation
    • Linux’s pthread implementation defaulting to allocating 8MB per thread for their stacks

I’ll let you decide which one is TRWTF.

On an unrelated note, Discourse doesn’t allow filtering your own posts in a topic. I guess arbitrary restrictions (and loading spinners, of course) are more important than bugfixes?

• @VinDuv said:

Discourse doesn’t allow filtering your own posts in a topic.

NOREPRO:

• @aliceif said:

NOREPRO

Do you need to type ⬆ ⬆ ⬇ ⬇ ⬅ ➡ ⬅ ➡ 🅱 🅰 ↩ to make the “N posts in topic” button show up in your user card?

• ♿ (Parody)

@VinDuv said:

On an unrelated note, Discourse doesn’t allow filtering your own posts in a topic. I guess arbitrary restrictions (and loading spinners, of course) are more important than bugfixes?

I think there's a cutoff for only the top something or other posters (18? 24?). We discovered something similar on /t/1000.

• FoxDev

Status. considerting goin g on a title edit rampage across the topics that have that special GUID in them somwehere....

Also it's snowing. i really want to swear about that, but i can't swear in a language anyone around here knows.... can anyone give me some good swears in Dwarfish or Klingon?