The Official Status Thread

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@NedFodder said:

an angry drunk

Ah, I guess that's a difference. I really like keeping my fury sober.

• Status****strong text: No scotch in the house. Will have to settle for beer and American FootballEnglish SoccerHandegg on the tv.

• @dkf said:

I'm of the opinion that if the scotch is good enough, it needs no water at all.

You put a drop or two of water in. But you do not put ice in. That's crazy-talk.

@dkf said:

A high-backed chair, log fire, ticking clock and dozing dog are all optional extras.

Cat.

Otherwise, spot-on.

• @PleegWat said:

Maybe it's part of the pre-hiring personality test?

Is using KeePass to generate random gibberish in response to dumb questions part of my personality? I wonder if it would be considered a good or bad personality trait.

• Java Dev

@HardwareGeek said:

Is using KeePass to generate random gibberish in response to dumb questions part of my personality? I wonder if it would be considered a good or bad personality trait.

Me too.

• Are they maggots?

Filed Under: Things that were funnier in my head

• Garbage Person

I cannot like this more than once so you get a reply

• Status: I will never know what the problem was, but it wasn't there after I rewrote the allocator from scratch.

• BINNED

Status: sipping a glass of Oban, and of course no ice. Listening to Cryptonomicon, no cats but I guess that would be a welcome sight.

• Status: got an email from a recruiter claiming to represent the largest online vendor of a certain category of service. I Googled their company's name and none of the results were related to that category of service. Their email address was also on a parked domain that was registered in 2005 and apparently changed owners during June.

• BINNED

@dse said:

no cats but I guess that would be a welcome sight.

think of a cat, it'll jump on your lap, tail high so you can inspect the exit, right there in front of your nose.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Status: Rage-quitting for now on Portal Stories: Mel during the fifth chapter. How am I supposed to diddle with turrets when they blow up with the slightest touch? And getting stuck on chairs and debris isn't fun either....

Filed under: This is a puzzle game, not MW3, though I think I'd do better if I had an actual frickin' gun for this stage

• I gave up right after the intro cinematic where you wake up because they seem to have come from the "keep putting props into the room until you run out of space to put props in" school of level design.

Portal is all about very simple level design with the complicated parts outside of the gameplay area. Having to walk through a building with more debris than air in it doesn't really work for that.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@ben_lubar said:

keep putting props into the room until you run out of space to put props in

It does get a little distracting, and since most of the tests don't take place in standard chambers it can be rather difficult to figure out where things are and where to go.

At least I accidentally an achievement:

I was so upset when the door opened to nothing! Spent another half hour before I realized there was an alternate exit....

• @dkf said:

@Polygeekery said:
    For scotch, a rocks glass. ~2/3 full, including a few ice cubes to cool it down a touch and dilute it with a little water.

I'm of the opinion that if the scotch is good enough, it needs no water at all. Just a gentle warming with the hand so that the peaty fumes fill the glass slowly and you can just inhale them in your own time.

Weeell. Here's what I've been told at a whisky sampling session once:

• In a single malt there are some 40-odd flavours/esters swimming around. Adding a few drops of water releases another 100. Or at least, connoiseurs so claim. Another effect is that you lower the alcohol level slightly so you don't numb your tastebuds.
    • Drinking in a whisky tumbler dispells a lot of the scents; it was introduced together with ice cubes as a marketing ploy to be able to sell the heavily taxed lowland whiskies (that then needed to be mass-produced, with varying quality as a result). A Riedel sherry glass (or similar) instead helps to gather all the fine scents that you want to experience.
    • Ice cubes do two things (the effect size is debated, but nevertheless): They cool down your taste-buds, which makes it harder to taste anything, and they (temporarily) raise the alcohol level by freezing some of the water in the whiskey, which also numbs your tastebuds.

@dkf said:

A high-backed chair, log fire, ticking clock and dozing dog are all optional extras.

But should not be neglected!

• Status: on the train. No WiFi, although I wouldn't use it either. Public APs are like public bathrooms: only for emergencies.

Also, today we get to spend adding mouse/pointer support to one of our apps. Fun fun fun!

Now that I think of this... Poll time

https://what.thedailywtf.com/t/poll-do-you-use-the-mouse-pointer-on-your-smarttv/51812?u=eldelshell

So cute of Discourse trying to display onebox of a poll and failing.

• Is it jus me or do the "... liked this" avatars point to "undefined" for everyone?

• Fixed on meta.d already, mentioned :arrows: on here ...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

In a single malt there are some 40-odd flavours/esters swimming around. Adding a few drops of water releases another 100.

I'm not entirely convinced about that. I don't have a problem with numbing of tastebuds as I go really slowly. My goal is to enjoy the drinking, not to get drunk.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Drinking in a whisky tumbler dispells a lot of the scents; it was introduced together with ice cubes as a marketing ploy to be able to sell the heavily taxed lowland whiskies (that then needed to be mass-produced, with varying quality as a result). A Riedel sherry glass (or similar) instead helps to gather all the fine scents that you want to experience.

I prefer the Islay single malts, and a glass without too much thermal mass but plenty of volume over the drink. 😄 I guess the sherry glass is not a bad choice, and a brandy glass works well too.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Ice cubes do two things

Since my preference is to warm the glass slightly with my hand (while keeping the other over the top to keep the vapours where they belong) ice doesn't belong anywhere in the whole affair.

• Wait, I thought portal stories was one of those Double-Fine adventure games, but it's a puzzle game? Huh.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Tsaukpaetra said:

This is how you restart your computer, in case you've never done it before!

Huh, I never tried that before. Okay, nothing's happening. Am I supposed to type in a half a sentence then click "reply" to make it work? Well, if that's the only way to shu

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

In a single malt there are some 40-odd flavours/esters swimming around. Adding a few drops of water releases another 100.

I would say that number is probably on the low side. But I get what they are saying.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Drinking in a whisky tumbler dispells a lot of the scents; it was introduced together with ice cubes as a marketing ploy to be able to sell the heavily taxed lowland whiskies (that then needed to be mass-produced, with varying quality as a result). A Riedel sherry glass (or similar) instead helps to gather all the fine scents that you want to experience.

Meh. I have tried it in a tapered glass. I could not tell a difference. I was a smoker in the past though. Maybe my olfactory senses are deadened to those aromas? I can tell a difference on red wines and the like though.

To each their own.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Ice cubes do two things

Add the splash of water that you need, and change the flavor as you drink due to increased dilution? 🚎

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

They cool down your taste-buds

Only slightly.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

which makes it harder to taste anything

I disagree. For me, when I drink scotch the flavors change as you hold it in your mouth. It warms, more of the VOCs evaporate and fill your sinuses and the flavors develop as the scotch rises in temperature.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

and they (temporarily) raise the alcohol level by freezing some of the water in the whiskey

Yeah, that doesn't happen. Maybe if I were serving it on the rocks, but we are talking about 1-3 ice cubes. Even then, the very temporary effect would be negated by the melting ice well before you took your first drink.

I know everyone here is insisting that I am :doing_it_wrong:, and perhaps I am. But I am reminded of a decade ago when I was learning about wine. I took a wine pairing course where they served wines with foods that were complimentary. They showed how if you tried to drink white wines while eating a peppery steak, that the wine would taste like water and that if you drank something like a CSV that the flavors complimented each other. Zinfandel compliments chocolate. Chateauneuf-du-Pape oddly enough works well with mint. Etc.

The fellow ended the course with the most important rule: "Wine is meant to be enjoyed, and no one else can tell you what is best for you. Drink what you enjoy, how you enjoy it, and to hell with the rules if they don't suit you."

If a somelier can say that about wine, I can have a couple of ice cubes in my scotch. Or I can mix it with Kool-Aid if it suits me. ;)

• @Polygeekery said:

I would say that number is probably on the low side.

I'd say that number's on the stupid side. People who claim to simultaneously smell 40 flavors at one time are either superhuman mutants, or liars. You gotta give me a double-blind before I believe any of that bullshit.

• I don't get how adding water would make more, either. Unless you're drinking straight grain alcohol, most of it is already water...

@blakeyrat said:

I'd say that number's on the stupid side.

Well, good for you.

@blakeyrat said:

People who claim to simultaneously smell 40 flavors at one time

No one said that. Please try to read.

@blakeyrat said:

superhuman mutants, or liars.

You don't need to be either in order to be able to smell a blend of 40 smells or esthers, or 40,000. You just won't be able to pick out any of them but the most predominate and familiar.

@blakeyrat said:

You gotta give me a double-blind before I believe any of that bullshit.

The thread about BIID is :arrows:.

• @Polygeekery said:

The thread about BIID is :arrows:.

Let's not go there. It is a silly place.

• @mott555 said:

I don't get how adding water would make more, either.

I dunno. When a friend suggested it, I did a before-and-after adding a few drops of water, and it seemed to make a difference. But it wasn't a proper double-blind A/B test, so maybe I'm in irrational idiot also. Whatever.

I never claimed not to be an irrational idiot.

@Polygeekery said:

You don't need to be either in order to be able to smell a blend of 40 smells or esthers, or 40,000. You just won't be able to pick out any of them but the most predominate and familiar.

I've been shoved SO MUCH bullshit at wine tastings that that entire "smelling shit in alcohol products" industry is on my shit-list. I'd be inclined to believe it if I hadn't been bullshitted like 47 times in the past.

@blakeyrat said:

I never claimed not to be an irrational idiot.

If you did, you would be a liar.

• I am a liar.

@blakeyrat said:

I've been shoved SO MUCH bullshit at wine tastings that that entire "smelling shit in alcohol products" industry is on my shit-list. I'd be inclined to believe it if I hadn't been bullshitted like 47 times in the past.

Oh, you will get no argument from me that most of those people are full of shit. But, when you find someone who isn't trying to sell you a bill of sale, it can be very educational.

But most of them are full of shit. The most important thing is that you experience it. Sit down with a glass of wine, let it breathe, take a big whiff and if you smell something, that is all that matters.

Sauvignon Blanc smells like cat pee to me, not to anyone else. Who is right? We both are. It is subjective.

@blakeyrat said:

I am a liar.

But, but, everything you say is always correct. Congrats, this paradox will destroy the universe. I hope you are happy with yourself.

• @Polygeekery said:

Oh, you will get no argument from me that most of those people are full of shit. But, when you find someone who isn't trying to sell you a bill of sale, it can be very educational.

"Oh yeah! These 36472642764274 other guys are full of shit, but YOU CAN TRUST ME!"

• BINNED

@dkf said:

You forgot a pipe1 or cigar.

1Non-aromatic tobacco only, none of the cherry-flavored stuff.

• @Polygeekery said:

If a somelier can say that about wine, I can have a couple of ice cubes in my scotch. Or I can mix it with Kool-Aid if it suits me.

I agree on principle, but now you are just trolling!

• @blakeyrat said:

I'd say that number's on the stupid side. People who claim to simultaneously smell 40 flavors at one time are either superhuman mutants, or liars. You gotta give me a double-blind before I believe any of that bullshit

The argument is based on chemistry, not on whether anyone is able to differentiate between the flavours or not.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

now you are just trolling!

• @Polygeekery said:

If a somelier can say that about wine, I can have a couple of ice cubes in my scotch. Or I can mix it with Kool-Aid if it suits me. 😉

I once made the mistake of mixing vodka with cherry Powerade. I don't know why I did that, but I never will again. It literally tasted like cough syrup.

• Dude, I hate to break this to you, but there's plenty of people who claim to be able to distinguish 40+ flavors. Like I said, go to any wine tasting. I guarantee they'll be at least 3-4 such blowhards there.

• BINNED

Does ).().( have a name or it is called Koala eyes.

• There are people who claim the earth is flat too but my argument did not include either of those two groups, so why do you bring them up, guv?

• i see two waists

@blakeyrat said:

Dude, I hate to break this to you, but there's plenty of people who claim to be able to distinguish 40+ flavors. Like I said, go to any wine tasting. I guarantee they'll be at least 3-4 such blowhards there

Those are the same assholes that buy Screaming Eagle and are convinced it is worth every penny.

@Jarry said:

i see two waists

Pervert.

• and i didn't even said what those waists where doing...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dse said:

Does ).().( have a name or it is called Koala eyes.

I see thigh dimples and an extreme demonstration of the elasticity of human skin and muscle.

:wtf:               :wtf:       :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:        :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:         
    :wtf:     :wtf:     :wtf:                 :wtf:                  :wtf:
    :wtf:     :wtf:     :wtf:                 :wtf:                  :wtf::wtf::wtf:
    :wtf:     :wtf:     :wtf:                 :wtf:                  :wtf:
    :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:                 :wtf:                  :wtf:

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@aliceif said:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, @lorne_kates!

Thanks. I made turkey. It was really, REALLY good.

• Status: Currently considering putting an application to McDonald's to the back of some of the exam papers my pupils wrote today. The first block of questions was multiple choice and really easy. I mean, the very first question within that block was: "What's the name of science of stars?"

I'm pretty sure I could have reworded that question to "What's the science of astronomical objects?" and those guys still would have botched it.
    Below that one I had them label the planets in our solar system. I'm moderately sure that the order, starting from the sun, is not Venus - Uranus - Earth - Pluto - Mars - Jupiter - Kuiper Belt.

This does not even begin to cover the problems they're having with Math. It seems to me that I'll have to dial back the formulas in my lessons waaaaaay back. Anything more complicated than v=s/t will leave them head scratching. Forget about Kepler's 3rd law (cubic roots? Forget it!). Newton's law of gravity? God forbid!

Oh, and before you ask: This is the 12th grade.