The Official Status Thread

• @accalia said:

that was not covered by some sort of grace period?

Apparently the cop decided to not use their "I don't want to be a dick" grace period.

• The Song of the Day thread is :arrows: that way

• But the song I'm listening to at any given time is my status, not my song of the day!

• @dkf said:

@accalia said:
    that was not covered by some sort of grace period?

There's no grace period here, though the level of fines does ramp up over time, and I think if you pay them before they get round to issuing the summons they're not too worried.

Why yes, the phrase “gouging scum” does apply. Why do you ask?

And? What exactly is such a "grace period" supposed to achieve?

• Status anyway, but music again: When I see another game soundtrack linked as recommended when listening to the JSRF soundtrack, it can't be anything but intriguing. I may indeed have to get Splatoon.

EDIT: Replacing with better track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wq9zNxQ2iU&list=PLLzQ6vUyPeN6usmVaWrwCIzmubfZvM76e&index=3

• Java Dev

There's an inverse grace period here - you get a written notification a month or two before your yearly/biyearly checkup expires, and an automatic fine the day it does.

• @Rhywden said:

Someone is currently arguing with me that a software's fault is somehow rooted in Windows.

Following scenario: Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 which somehow set the locale partially to US-American which of course changes the date format from DDMMYYYY to MMDDYYYY.

He then started the software which complained that the system date was in the wrong format, specifically:

17-008-0015

Now, I'm arguing that said software is TRWTF because it obviously does stupid things to the DateTime it gets from Windows, chief among them not considering locale properly and secondly, storing stuff in a stupid format.

The moron is still arguing that it's Windows' fault that the program doesn't know how to deal with different date formats.

"Oh, but it could have been an honest mistake!"

Yeah, buddy, if they're incapable of using something easy like the DateTime-functions pretty much any language has and also fucked up something basic like timekeeping - what exactly do you think you'll find when it comes to the more complicated stuff?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@riking said:

Did you know that you can run ANY video on YouTube as an ad? Even ones you didn't upload.

Awesome. What happens if you run something that, itself, normally has an ad?

@accalia said:

of course if a cop stops you for expired plates you can expect a ticket, and that's not cheep

Meh, it depends. I got stopped a few years ago for inspection being >3 months late, and I just told him I'd forgotten and got off with a reminder to git er done. Here in Texas, if you go without for like a year, the state will eventually rouse itself and mail you a warning that you had better get it done or it might eventually cancel your registration.

Of course if you're driving out of state the cops IME aren't going to stop you at all for expired anything. (When I was consulting with DC there were a number of people with out of state plates from all over, some of which were more than a year expired.)

• Status: You know how web browsers only allow popups in direct response to user input (eg. not from a timer)? I think requests for elevation should work the same way in Windows. None of this stupid "click to install, wait 5 minutes, do something else, entire screen is covered by request for elevation" shit.

@Polygeekery said:

Which occurred in my case. It still pissed me off that he was so by-the-books that I was written a ticket for 5.5 hours of expired plates.

Did he have to show up in court? That would've offered you some small amount of revenge.

• Yes, right, sounds good.

"This is an installer, it might do things that need elevation. Are you okay with all of them?"

"Yeah, sure, what could go wrong?"

@Rhywden said:

If you're a day or so late because raisins, you get off without a fine. What else?

• At least make me click a button on the installer immediately before the elevation request. I don't want to have an elevation request from NVIDIA when I'm interacting with a web browser, for example.

• You don't get the point. No one is going to build an installer that solves the halting problem and stops when elevation is going to happen. People run just about anything inside those things. And not just installers make these requests.

• So apparently Linux solves the halting problem by having a sudo command?

• No, sudo is just 'run this as admin, everything from this point is safe' as far as I can tell. There isn't a program that can detect when arbitrary code will require admin access.

• Why do you need to detect that? It's a fucking installer. Either I want it to be able to install stuff or I don't.

• Then run it as admin! If you don't it has to request when some random toolbar decides to install itself!

• Why didn't NVIDIA request admin when the installer started instead of several minutes after, then?

• :moving_goal_post:

Either run as admin, which is like sudo, or run it and wait for individual programs executed by the installer try to do things that need admin access.

What else do you expect? It would be a huge security problem to do anything other than what they're doing.

• Why is it that no Linux program I've ever seen executes sudo in the middle of it? They always either elevate first and then de-elevate for the parts that don't need it or don't need root at all.

• @ben_lubar said:

Why didn't NVIDIA request admin when the installer started instead of several minutes after, then?

Because they hate you personally.

• @ben_lubar said:

Why is it that no Linux program I've ever seen executes sudo in the middle of it? They always either elevate first and then de-elevate for the parts that don't need it or don't need root at all.

What are you on about. If you want to do something like sudo, neither system does that for you. You have to initiate it. The only difference here is that Windows helps you if it encounters a problem instead of saying 'lol, i failed, start over'.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@FrostCat said:

Did he have to show up in court? That would've offered you some small amount of revenge.

No. Most of our state does not require cops to show up for court, so if you don't want to pay a ticket you pretty much just have to show up on your court date and it gets thrown out.

Now I just hand them to my lawyer, he bills me for $100 and they go away. NFC what he does, I just know it doesn't go on my driving record.

• This leaves you open for many a humorous imagining.

Also, yes.

@Polygeekery said:

Most of our state does not require cops to show up for court, so if you don't want to pay a ticket you pretty much just have to show up on your court date and it gets thrown out.

Interesting. I got stopped once in Florida and he wrote the ticket for a slower speed that I was going, and said he was making a note of the actual speed, and if I contested the ticket he'd show up with his notes.

• That's a pretty expensive way to avoid watching an ad on a video.

Ad definitions are delivered in a separate network request from the video.

• Putting the laptop through its fourth surgery, seems to be holding up well.

@riking said:

avoid watching an ad on a video.

*blink* I hadn't even thought of it in those terms.

@anonymous234 said:

seems to be holding up well.

well, what's left of it, that is.

@FrostCat said:

Interesting. I got stopped once in Florida and he wrote the ticket for a slower speed that I was going, and said he was making a note of the actual speed, and if I contested the ticket he'd show up with his notes.

I do a lot of things on the principle of the matter. If I had been in your shoes I would have told him that I would give my lawyer 10-1 to keep from paying a dime on that.

Maybe he was nicer about it. This area has a lot of pricks in their force. I tend to think of the worst when I hear such things.

@Polygeekery said:

I do a lot of things on the principle of the matter. If I had been in your shoes I would have told him that I would give my lawyer 10-1 to keep from paying a dime on that.

Having not needed a lawyer until that point, I didn't actually have one. Also, I was on my way to Texas and didn't relish coming back, which would've cost me more than the ticket.

Florida has a fine money sieve. I got stopped for a taillight out, because the bulb had fallen out of the holder, but was still working. I put it back in place and the cop still wrote me a ticket, the bastard.

If you get a ticket for a broken equipment violation, it's $95 or so. You can get the item fixed to have a cop come out, verify that you've done so, and get a $20 discount on the ticket.

Given my hourly rate at the time and how long it would take to travel to the courthouse, plus however long it took them to round someone up to come look at the thing, I decided saving the $20 was counterproductive.

• @FrostCat said:

@Rhywden said:

If you're a day or so late because raisins, you get off without a fine. What else?

So, effectively you're making 'two years and one day' out of 'two years'. And then someone will whine that this grace period was too short for his special case.

As soon as you create something like a grace period you effectively cancelled the original time limit in which case you needn't have bothered to set it in the first place.

Seriously, if there's one thing I've learned from teaching people: If you don't set a hard limit you'll hear the most incredible excuses as to why the work has not been done when it should have been done (of course the time limit needs to be reasonable - but over here the license is valid for two years. Plenty of warning.)

• It depends on whether renewing your license will add 2 years to the expiration date (within reason) or set the expiration date to 2 years from the day you renew it on.

@Rhywden said:

So, effectively you're making 'two years and one day' out of 'two years'. And then someone will whine that this grace period was too short for his special case.

The grace period is more normally "around three months". Fussing that that is too short is usually not met with sympathy.

It must be awful to live in a place where the State is ready to pounce on you to extract a pint of blood for being infinitesimally late.

@ben_lubar said:

It depends on whether renewing your license will add 2 years to the expiration date (within reason) or set the expiration date to 2 years from the day you renew it on.

Inspections are always for a year from the month of the inspection everywhere I've ever lived in the US. Registration, as mentioned above, is for a year after it's due, so if you are three months late, you paid a year's fee for 9 months of being legal.

I don't know what the rule is for your driving license if you let that expire. It's probably "n years from the time you renew it, except that it doesn't count as a renewal so you have to take the test again and maybe pay a higher fee."

• @ben_lubar said:

Why is it that no Linux program I've ever seen executes sudo in the middle of it? They always either elevate first and then de-elevate for the parts that don't need it or don't need root at all.

Because Windows installers (msi) aren't one big shell script. They run in multiple phases:

• Gather the info, validate, etc (this part may be UI or command line driven parameters)
    • Generate the install script (this is the part that allows an install to unwind if something fails)
    • Elevate if needed, run script
    • Commit
    • cleanup

Installers are only supposed to modify the system in the 3rd point above. By not elevating early, you are less likely to write a custom action that does the wrong thing. (There are certain utilities that won't give up their info without elevation, some IIS configuration stuff if I remember right - thankfully I've never had to go down that hole)

• In that case, make the thing that asks for elevation pop up when I have focus on the installer when that third step wants to start, not in the middle of me doing something else. With Linux, there's a very clear connection between the elevation request and what caused it. On Windows, not so much.

• If I have focus elsewhere, I don't remember the last time my screen was taken over - there's just a UAC icon flashing in the taskbar. Which if I miss, times out and the install dies.

• That was my experience with Windows 8.1, but with Windows 10, it comes up fullscreen no matter what you're doing.

• Ah - haven't hit that point in 10 yet... (i've just waited for UAC since I knew it was coming and I had other installs I needed to do after the current one) Now I'll know what to expect!

@ben_lubar said:

That was my experience with Windows 8.1, but with Windows 10, it comes up fullscreen no matter what you're doing.

I don't recall seeing that behavior yet, but I'm on Pro, not regular. Don't know if that makes a difference, but I haven't (I don't think) run into a delayed elevation request yet.

• @FrostCat said:

I don't recall seeing that behavior yet, but I'm on Pro, not regular. Don't know if that makes a difference, but I haven't (I don't think) run into a delayed elevation request yet.

Doubt it - the "delayed" request is because you switch away from the installer after getting the install to start (no more user input) and go to a different app before UAC is requested. I suspect most people don't do that.

@dcon said:

Doubt it - the "delayed" request is because you switch away from the installer after getting the install to start (no more user input) and go to a different app before UAC is requested. I suspect most people don't do that.

I am almost positive I've done that on one of the computers I've upgraded to 10. When I take my own PC back from my son later tonight I'll try to remember to test it.

• @FrostCat said:

@Rhywden said:

The grace period is more normally "around three months". Fussing that that is too short is usually not met with sympathy.

It must be awful to live in a place where the State is ready to pounce on you to extract a pint of blood for being infinitesimally late.

It gets even better: Three months? Three months is not "infinitesimal late". And 5 hours also isn't "infinitesimal late", considering that the renewal period is measured in years.

Also, some cars I had seen on the examiner's hydraulic lift should be forbidden to driver rather sooner than later. In fact, the guy directly before me was told: "Well, the bodywork is rusty, half the brakes don't work and the steering is dodgy. The only driving you are doing with this thing is to that lot right over there where you will leave it."

Pardon me if I'm not enamoured with the idea of giving those death traps even more time on the road.

You obviously really don't recognize that you simply lengthened the time to 2 years and 3 months, called it a "grace period" as if that made a difference somehow? And when someone is over those three months? Does he get another grace period?

@Rhywden said:

And 5 hours also isn't "infinitesimal late", considering that the renewal period is measured in years.

Well, year, singular, in most states. Nonetheless, only a rules lawyer, Nazi, HOA officer, or the like, would consider a ticket at oh dark hundred the day after the plates expire to be reasonable. It's certainly legal, but it's an asshole thing to do.

@Rhywden said:

Pardon me if I'm not enamoured with the idea of giving those death traps even more time on the road.

Death traps. Yeah, that's the common case, not someone who can't afford, say, an $800+labor catalytic converter until next payday, who is justifiably annoyed when she gets pulled over because her car is slightly out of smog spec, and she sees a school bus drive by belching clouds of black smoke.

@Rhywden said:

You obviously really don't recognize that you simply lengthened the time to 2 years and 3 months, called it a "grace period" as if that made a difference somehow?

No, that seems unlikely to me. I know exactly what's going on: it's that most cops are not assholes, and are willing to cut people a little slack, because they do, in fact, sometimes forget to get their, say, inspections renewed on time. Hint: in the US, the government does not mail you an advance expiration notice the way they do with your plates.

• In Germany, you also don't get notified. You still get fined. So what?

Isn't the US the country that's oh-so-big on presonal responsibility? And suddenly you want the government to remind you to please check up on your fucking car?

And your converter example doesn't wash. Unlike those death traps with malfunctioning brakes, converters are not killing anyone. Malfunctioning brakes do. So please spare me your whining about some poor bloke. You're just making yourself look like the whiny kid which is unable to keep track of his possessions.

And, yes, cops can show a little leeway. But expecting them to show it? Right. Man up, stop whining and admit that sometimes, yes, the rules are the rules. You're not a special snowflake and, no, the earth does not bow to your every whim. Calling a cop an asshole because he enforced the rules is somewhat moronic.

Don't bother replying, that's all I have to say. And frankly, I'm not interested in your opinions on this matter anymore.